Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

IDK why would anyone be offended by the use of actual serial killers? I guess if you were a victim or were related to one?

But the families of Killers? I think the killers give up the right to have their familes be offended when they go and brutally murder somebody. Still in that house, and the movie it is spawned from... It is a synopsis of what they did. Nothing wrong with that (unless you are showing real crime scene photos). The houses focal point isn't the killers. To make a house called "Through the mind of Ed Gein" would be a different animal altogether. But then you would have to ge tthe right to do it.

But I think the initial concern people had was with the family of FDR, the mayor, and the people who were the victims of the assasination attempt. I don't care what Zangara's decendants care about (if he even has any).

I do find it ironc people like houses built on murder, torture,and other various horrible situations where innocents are murdered but simply bring it into a place where there is some real facts and people get all bent out of shape and sue happy. (But THAT is a topic for another thread all together).

Regardless, I honestly don't think he will be named as many have said. Probably not even FDR unless it is in a different light... But if the story is left "as is" its not offensive IMO... unless you consider boring offensive.

• Like 2

We got our permits: (thanks to Parkrumors for posting them)

BLD2013-04374, BLD2013-04376, BLD2013-04375, BLD2013-04371 BLD2013-04379, BLD2013-04380, BLD2013-04378

Sprung One
Sprung Two
Parade Building (B79)
Disaster Queue
SS21 (likely two houses)
SS22
SS24

First post has been updated

Edit: I'll make a map of the locations and the rumored houses there later after work.. unless someone beats me too it.

Edit^2: Incidentally if you want to know past location we have a list here. 21 and 24 have not been used before.

• Like 4

Last a yr a Haunt out west based all there rooms on serial killers.. I didnt see ANY negative feedback at all.

Which haunt was this? it's easy to keep a low profile when you're not a huge haunt like HHN.

You're right about that. Politics is a huge can of worms, especially when the first biracial President is getting a lot of racist death threats.

Due to Son of Sam laws you wouldn't need to get the rights to do it, since you can't own the rights to serial killers. Personally, if I heard HHNO was having a mind of Gein maze I'd be over there in a second since I'm a true crime nerd.

Yeah the lines that are drawn are weird between a real killer being used and a fake killer that was inspired by real killers being the focal point or even event icon. Norman Bates was loosely based on Ed Gein as was Leatherface. Freddy Kruger is an extremely popular horror icon and it's canon that he's a pedophile child killer, like Albert Fish. How much you can feature something before it becomes the focal point etc. etc. and so on. There's a ton of x and y factors that have to be considered with what the GP finds too offensive, even for something like HHN as JDW said.

• Like 1

Here it is really rough (all I have is sumo at work)

Rumored houses in the confirmed locations

2mrgm1l.jpg

Not sure why it cut off but you get the idea.. I'll pretty it up later

Also Made a mistake on AWIL. Was originally supposed to be in 22. Will probably be there agian.

• Like 1

I think the SS's will be AWIL in 22, RE in 24, and CiTW/Evil Dead in 21. TWD in parade, La LLorona and Prison in tents, and HAVOC in Disaster! since it's rumored for there (though i actually pictured it going in a tent and CiTW in Disaster).

• Like 1

So, semi-unrelated... I may be off here and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lantern from HHNXX was supposed to be the source of all the evils that spawned HHN since '91 and the collective was seeking to find and destroy said lamp. But, I can assume that since we are now about to embark on HHN23 that the collective failed and the lamp is still at large...correct?

So, semi-unrelated... I may be off here and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lantern from HHNXX was supposed to be the source of all the evils that spawned HHN since '91 and the collective was seeking to find and destroy said lamp. But, I can assume that since we are now about to embark on HHN23 that the collective failed and the lamp is still at large...correct?

Good question. Although if you followed it they had no intention of destroying anything. They purposefully released him. Still, we don't know much about what happened to LT in 2010... or since really. What happened to Fear and the Lantern? What happen to Gabriel, Ignatia... Heck all of the 2010 staff? What was their motives behind Fear's release? So many questions.

Anyway, I've been too busy with a project the last few days to update the map. But I will when I finish that.

As for spec I'm going to guess how the houses will play out.

TWD: Upgrade to one of the most sucessful location. Second year. I'm gussing this will get a major facelift and will automatically be a great deal better. Most likely the prison as a theme which will make it creepier.

Mystery prision house: Original house, little known about it. Most are downplaying it. I think this could be the sleeper favorite. I don't expect huge details but perhaps a novel concept.

La Llorona: New to this coast. Original as in redesigned by east coast. Solid urban legend to work with and the house is sucessful in Hollywood. I think it will end up a great house.

Havoc: Massive upgrade from previous incarnation. If what I'm hearing about this house is true it is very ambitious. I didn't like the first one set wise. But I am hoping to be plesantly surprised with this one.

Resident Evil: this one could go either way as does the games and movies. All depends on implementation.

AWIL: Universal property. Already was planned and scrapped. Heard they really want this one. I think this could be good.

CITW: Lots to work with with this. Will they pull it off? Movie had quite a bit of gore at the end. Knowing our track record, will they be able to pull it off properly? Could be great could be terrible.

Evil Dead

I'm not a gore fan but there really isn't anyway around gore in a bloody Evil Dead house. I haven't see the remake but I know it's gory... as was the original. If the house is not... It will fail to capture the essence of the movies.

Marketing

What i want: Orignal Concept to tie it all together be it Icon or theme.

What I'd settle for: CITW over arching theme.

What I'm afraid of: Lazy use of TWD again as the main marketing draw.

• Like 1

I said a while back that CITW's backstory fits into Fear. Evil Dead kinda fits into CITW and Fear in a way, I mean aside from the obvious connections. In the remake (KINDA SPOILERS TO FOLLOW) the book involves a series of brutal rituals that need to be performed to awaken the beast. CITW is a giant ritual as well. All of the ties to ritual/a beast being awakened/put to sleep. CITW plays with the notion that horror movie victims welcomed their own punishment, La Llorona was used to make sure behaved well or else she would get you. In AWIL they were told to beware the moon and stay on the road, they didn't. David was told to kill himself before he kills others, he didn't. Prisons obviously are punishment for misdeeds, and the penal system, especially the death penalty, is used as a way to scare people away from committing crimes. There's the whole ritual of crime and punishment. The rituals involved in the death penalty. The circle of being killed for your crimes of killing.

A lot of stuff about manifested fear, ritual, and punishment. When you go to a haunt you're asking for death. After being of the dangers you are about to face, you still willingly enter an environment where everything wants to kill you. Everything tells us to stay away, but we enter anyway because of our bravado.

Daniel Truman: [seeing zombies] They're like something from a nightmare.

Lin: No, they're something nightmares are from.

Also, I'm really excited to see what Orlando does with La Llorona. Should be great.

• Like 2

Jeramy - amazing job with your project! I'm still in the Keys, but had a few minutes to check the site. Great to see the permits and house location speculation about set. I, too, stated in an earlier post that Cabin in the Woods would make a perfect overarching theme where we "select items," which awaken the "monsters" and send them into our world from the Facility. Since this was similar to LT's 2010 investigation, could it be possible that we (as the newly-re-established LT Collective) along with Thorncastle et al are going to be looking into this Facility, which could be controlled by Fell and Himmell? Maybe that's the tie-in from 2008 to 2010 to 2012 and now this year. They experimented with the portemetus and now they have a cabin, which happens to be in the "woods."

I also agree with Jeramy that Universal marketing might just use The Walking Dead to overly sell the event again. Good for ticket prices, but I hope they also use an original marketing tool, such as La Llorona. Charles said that Marketing was listening to A&D more this year . . . we'll see . . .

I won't be able to check again for another few days, but I hope I get back to some great information!

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I haven't been on the site for a while, but I don't see anything talking about scare zones or hordes in the first post or my skimming through some of the pages here. With Horror Unearthed returning are we getting the legions again? The same ones? Sorry just curious what we know so far about the streets.

Serial kllers can be portrayed in various different ways. Psycho for instance was based on Ed Gein and the main character a serial killer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish

Albert Fish isn't comparable to Ed Gein. As sordid as Gein's tale is he didn't rape, torture, and eat little children. Nor is Ed Gein comparable to the extra layer of ohno that comes with adding a political angle to murder.

I'm sorry, I haven't been on the boards in a while and naturally haven't read through all 57 pages of this topic.

But why would Universal make a prison themed house and a Walking Dead house as well, considering that the entire last season of TWD (as in, everything that wasn't in the last house) took place in a prison? Seems pretty redundant to me.

Wellll if you would take a moment to at the very least just read through the last 8-10 pages it would be pretty clear... In a nutshell, in its entirety, it's not REALLY a prison themed house. The house will take place inside of a prisoner's mind via his memories before he's executed.

• Like 1

Wellll if you would take a moment to at the very least just read through the last 8-10 pages it would be pretty clear... In a nutshell, in its entirety, it's not REALLY a prison themed house. The house will take place inside of a prisoner's mind via his memories before he's executed.

Thank you. I had no idea whether such information would be found in the last 8-10 pages, or the last 57.

• Like 2