Twenty Penny Circus: Fully Exposed

Mark M.

I'll be skipping this - it really looks like Not For Me. They should have gotten Repo The Genetic Opera and a Shadowcast if they wanted to update. Or a Burlesque act. Both of those would have been super cheap to implement. But I am guessing Repo might be released by a competitor.

I for one am over the moon were getting a stage show rather than Death Drums because I hated that. If I want to watch monsters dancing to music I'll watch the Thriller video thanks. I personally hope it never returns, I always got the impression it was a budget cut alternative to paying for a stage performer. Anyway I've not seen these guys before and I'm avoiding finding out too much about them because I don't want to ruin the surprise. I enjoyed Brushwood and the guy they had in 2008 who's name escapes me at present. If anyone remembers the trick he did with the video and people recording it on their phones etc that was pretty cool. I think I'm one of the few who would like to see a show based on the icon of each year. Like a mini theatre show explaining their background, motives and origins. Seeing as it looks like we are not getting an icon this year I realise this isn't possible at HHN 22 but it's something I'd like to see in the future.

I for one am over the moon were getting a stage show rather than Death Drums because I hated that. If I want to watch monsters dancing to music I'll watch the Thriller video thanks. I personally hope it never returns, I always got the impression it was a budget cut alternative to paying for a stage performer. Anyway I've not seen these guys before and I'm avoiding finding out too much about them because I don't want to ruin the surprise. I enjoyed Brushwood and the guy they had in 2008 who's name escapes me at present. If anyone remembers the trick he did with the video and people recording it on their phones etc that was pretty cool. I think I'm one of the few who would like to see a show based on the icon of each year. Like a mini theatre show explaining their background, motives and origins. Seeing as it looks like we are not getting an icon this year I realise this isn't possible at HHN 22 but it's something I'd like to see in the future.

I believe Brushwood was the guy who did the video trick. He has been at the event more than once.

Boy, that review was fully useless. The guy was a total moron.

From what I have seen of these guys, I don't know how this will work at HHN, let alone the BJ theater (which is probably the biggest room these guys have ever worked).

The act seems to be a cross between mentalism and sideshow. HHN has clearly presented both of these formats in the past. There's really nothing new in this act. Very much like Brian Brushwood (who I feel has a much more polished show).

20 Penny Circus (to me) is Penn & Teller on a 99 Cent Store budget. Having said that, this young act is the exact type that Penn & Teller love. It would not surprise me at all if P&T pushed hard for this act to perform at HHN.

I believe Brushwood was the guy who did the video trick. He has been at the event more than once.

Yes the trick was Brian Bushwood. Then he did it the following year. Then, when he had the ALL NEW might (?) and malice shows, he did it again for both....

I think that's where most of the dislike for BB comes from. I did it the first year and thought it was OK but DID enjoy the cell phone gag (can't even call it a trick). Then did it again with a sense of Deja Vu. Then did BOTH shows when he came back since he (personally through YouTube and stuff) swore it was all new. We actually walked out, which I'd NEVER do to insult any performer...but I had seen the other show earlier and was so disappointed that he was doing the same trick, again, in both shows, when it was promised to be all new.

Not sure what this show will be like, I think we're going to wait for some reviews before committing to seeing it. Like zombieman stated, I'm not sure how these guys and their performance will translate to a setting as large as the BJ theater. And for me, nothing ticks me off more than wasting even 20 minutes of my life on a show that winds up sucking beyond belief.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the show. It does seem more suited to a small cabaret/club however. If you are seated in the back you have to watch the screens instead of the performers. Many of the illusions are tricks seen before, but I enjoy the twists they put on them. Naked Mentalist was funny. And the Guillotine that is sitting on the stage for the whole act gets used at the end.

I was able to talk to them after on of the shows.

so, they had a choice of where to perform, here at UNI or at the Horror convention hosted by spooky empire. they chose Universal. they plan to perform in vegas soon. I hope they get to. they can do a good show, just needs some more tricks and tweaking. they are both really nice, didnt get to talk to the girl (forget her name at the moment).

also was able to get my picture with them, i will see if i can find it later.

Edited by Doctor Cogstein

this show is nice, really nice, I liked it, I liked it a lot more than Bill and Ted.

While the tricks are kinda old and kinda silly, the guys totally sell this show for me, I love their look, I love their attitude, specially Carl the Grinning man, totally loved his attitude, he made this enjoyable.

the tricks are kinda old and stuff you have seen before. I was expecting something fun and weird, since they say "For people with questionable taste" I guess I wish the tricks were different or new, or maybe had a twist to them. the tricks themselves were okay but what I loved about this was the guys' energy and their attitude. and Of course their lovely assistant, she made me laugh a lot too.

the Naked Mentalist, well, I didn't like the first part of his show, the guessing game, well, it was just not my favorite, the Naked mentalist part of the show kinda disruptsthe flow of the show, I did laugh at the reading the mind trick, that was funny, my favorite part still was the two other guys.

this show is really nice and I had a good time, I will visit this again, I'm sure, the tricks could have been better but it makes me wonder if they have other tricks that they could not play for Universal,

all In all, had a good time, I like these guys better than Brian Brushwood, I just loved their stage presence, with different tricks you could have seen me doing this show every night. Is funny because I loved these guys a lot but I didn't like the tricks as much as them , lol

That's funny, Mr. Black, i think The Naked Mentalist is the highlight of the show, found everything after except the guillotine trick a bit of a letdown. Even that has a convuluted build-up--I'd rather something that points out, hey, this thing really has a sharp blade on it.

No denying that Ringmistress Penny is a 10-car pile-up hottie, tho. I'd probably sit there and watch her read the phone book for 20 minutes.

• Like 1

That's funny, Mr. Black, i think The Naked Mentalist is the highlight of the show, found everything after except the guillotine trick a bit of a letdown. Even that has a convuluted build-up--I'd rather something that points out, hey, this thing really has a sharp blade on it.

No denying that Ringmistress Penny is a 10-car pile-up hottie, tho. I'd probably sit there and watch her read the phone book for 20 minutes.

I guess I got it backwards LOL, I loved the guillotine part, but I didn't like the naked mentalist, well, Like I Said, the first part of his act, guessing what people were holding in the audience was not great for me, I liked the guy, he was funny, but it didn't amuse me as much as the rest of the show,

I LOVED Dead Drums, it was such a cool show, I miss it, I really do, I'm really tired for f#$ing magic shows, at least Dead Drums had music and dancing, you know, like a real show,

I wish they made another show like that but indoors, maybe darker

• Like 1

I normally only go once to the event so I hit all the houses as quickly as possible with no time for the shows which never interest me anyway.

I like the inclusion of shows as they are massive people eaters but DEATH DRUMS was an intrusion on the streets and made for hellish blocks in traffic.

I hope they never do that ever again unless they bring back the festival of the dead parade.

I really wished they had situated DEATH DRUMS in the Beetlejuice auditorium like they did ROCKY HORROR in the past.

I like magic so I caught a bit of 20 PENNY CIRCUS on youtube tonight but I couldn't get into it. The tricks were pretty generic or convoluted to the point of being uninteresting (the nail gun trick) and none of the jokes landed. Too hip for me.

One of the reasons why I never bother with Bill and Ted. You have to keep up with current humor and internet phenomenons to get the gags.

Edited by YourPallbearer
  • Like 1

I normally only go once to the event so I hit all the houses as quickly as possible with no time for the shows which never interest me anyway.

I like the inclusion of shows as they are massive people eaters but DEATH DRUMS was an intrusion on the streets and made for hellish blocks in traffic.

I hope they never do that ever again unless they bring back the festival of the dead parade.

I really wished they had situated DEATH DRUMS in the Beetlejuice auditorium like they did ROCKY HORROR in the past.

I like magic so I caught a bit of 20 PENNY CIRCUS on youtube tonight but I couldn't get into it. The tricks were pretty generic or convoluted to the point of being uninteresting (the nail gun trick) and none of the jokes landed. Too hip for me.

One of the reasons why I never bother with Bill and Ted. You have to keep up with current humor and internet phenomenons to get the gags.

that's what I meant, having Dead Drums again but like you said in the Bettlejuice Auditorium, I completely understand the show created a lot of crowd problems,

but I really want to see a halloween, a darker halloween music show with dancing, and ghouls, I really don't understand why Universal has such a hard on for magic shows, I Loved the guys in Penny Circus, I really like their energy a lot and to me they are a lot better than Brian Brushwood but you are right some of the tricks were genetic,

I really miss Rocky Picture show, I know it will never come back I understand that as well but I really want to see Universal do a show like Rocky Horror but maybe something original, or just get a show and bring it to Uni,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely my favorite show this year. Yes, the tricks were generic and easy to figure out, but the actors made it very entertaining to watch. The guillotine finale was hilarious.

snapback.png No denying that Ringmistress Penny is a 10-car pile-up hottie, tho. I'd probably sit there and watch her read the phone book for 20 minutes.

]

:D Yes yes yes. I almost volunteered for the show because of this.

Edited by NeonBones
  • Like 1

I'm so glad they got 20 Penny Circus instead of Brian Brushwood. Let's see: do I wanna see a Dane Cook look-a-like with spiked gel hair or Penny? I think I'll take Penny.

It should be noted that there was an Evil Dead musical that was around when I went to school in New York. They even gave you XL white T-shirts to wear since the audience would be splattered with fake blood from the stage. I'm not sure what rights Universal has for that franchise but it's more excited than Rocky Horror again.

• Like 1

The only bad thing about this show is that it had no repeat value for me. Saw it once, and it was like "been there, done that." I really miss Rocky and saw it every night because...well, because it's Rocky. Death Drums was a freakin' cluster traffic-wise. I have nothing against the show itself, and it would have been fine in Beetlejuice, but it was totally idiotic to put it right in a main thoroughfare multiple times a night.

• Like 1

I'm so glad they got 20 Penny Circus instead of Brian Brushwood. Let's see: do I wanna see a Dane Cook look-a-like with spiked gel hair or Penny? I think I'll take Penny.

It should be noted that there was an Evil Dead musical that was around when I went to school in New York. They even gave you XL white T-shirts to wear since the audience would be splattered with fake blood from the stage. I'm not sure what rights Universal has for that franchise but it's more excited than Rocky Horror again.

that would be awesome. But I am not sure if they would pay for that. I really want another dance and music show. I am so tired of old dumb magic shows.... I would have expected better from Universal, you can see magic shows at your local fair for God's sake, wtf is their fixation with magic shows? is it because people demand them? I am surprised Universal doesn't try to sell their magic kits that they sell during regular hours at the parks...

I Love these guys, I Love 20 Penny circus, not the tricks but I love the two guys and Penny just because their attitudes are so awesome. As performers I really like their styles, I love their humor, I love their attitude, I even love their make up, fair enough, this guys freaking rule. But the magic tricks are just not that great. If if wasn't for them I would Never go back in this show.

The only bad thing about this show is that it had no repeat value for me. Saw it once, and it was like "been there, done that." I really miss Rocky and saw it every night because...well, because it's Rocky. Death Drums was a freakin' cluster traffic-wise. I have nothing against the show itself, and it would have been fine in Beetlejuice, but it was totally idiotic to put it right in a main thoroughfare multiple times a night.

again you are right, after one viewing there is not much to go for besides the awesome people working here. They really make the show.

I really really miss Rocky, I loved that show i did it almost every single night, I think I did it twice in one night in some occasions.

I actually loved Dead Drums too. I loved the rock version, it was very sexy lol. I really enjoyed that one not only because of the music and the dancing but because it was new. I wish they got Rocky back but they should at least come up with another horror halloween themed music show or dance show. I know the Bill and Ted show is already a music and dance show but they could make a horror themed one.