Top 10 Favorite Houses

*raises hand* Sorry. That was me. It was actually my least favorite in 2010. However, I only went through it the one time so I'm wondering if I just had a really bad walk-through.

i went through twice, both were excellent walkthroughs. i guess timing is everything. like how i went through Hollow'd past without seeing a single SA then did it again another day and saw all of them. but i thought that house relied the least on timing.

how you can think any house last year was worse than zombiegeddon is beyond me though :P

someone didn't like 2008 very much :P.

Sure most of the houses were pretty bad, IMHO. But the streets made up for that. 08 is one of my favorites (probably because of my first Body Collectors and Scary Tales houses not to mention my girlfriends first HHN ever... Fun times!).

i went through twice, both were excellent walkthroughs. i guess timing is everything. like how i went through Hollow'd past without seeing a single SA then did it again another day and saw all of them. but i thought that house relied the least on timing.

how you can think any house last year was worse than zombiegeddon is beyond me though :P

For the first half on ZG, I would agree. But I actually got quite a few scares from the middle through the end. Especially the "freezer room". I got no scares in Catacombs and it seeemed like they had only one possible costume for every SA: Plague Doctor, which lost it's effect after the first dozen or so. Also, having been an avid reader of MAD magazine as a kid, I couldn't be scared of them in the first place.

I'm aware I am in the minority on this. And it's cool. That's why we get 8 houses a year. :)

Edited by Creeper06

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ :lol: Nice.

Ok, since everyone else is doing it. My bottom 5:

Fear Factor (2002)

Disorientorium (2004)

The People Under the Stairs: Under Construction (2006)

Creatures! (2008)

Reflections of Fear (2008)

Sorry i know this part has nothing to do with anything, ill post my top 10 and worst 5 after this, but what was fear factor like? No videos i can find or pictures :/ and fear factor is and has been my favorite show since it came out so i would like to hear details! haha thank you!

I've only been the past 3 years, but from 09-11 heres my top 10:

10. Wolfman- Basically the scenery and the like changing wolf made this house. Also it was my first house so it is a little biased :3

9. Holidays of Horror- I loved this house. Never got really scared though.

8. Leave it to cleaver- AMAZING HOUSE.

7. Orfanage- It really wasn't scary but creepy is the word. I was so creeped out by the masks!

6. Nevermore- Love poe

5. Saws and steam- Loved atmosphere and all the chainsaws! Also the wet effect made it pretty disgusting in there!

4. Zombiegedden- Funny and scary

3. Saw- I love the movies and the end was the best ending i've ever been through.

2. Hallow'd past- Loved seeing old things that i personally missed out of older years!

1. Silver screams- This was the only house i was so scared of. I only looked (first year) like 3 times. Only house to have me shaking by the end!

5 worst:

5. Chucky friends till the end- Was so bored during this house

4. Catacombs- Was very obvious. Never got a scare only weird birds on top of me.

3. The forsaken- The only good part was the sidways part and that wasn't scary just challenging to walk through.

2. Frankenstein- Kind of boring. I liked the atmosphere though!

1. The Spawning- Seriously? I dont even have to explain this one.

Sorry i know this part has nothing to do with anything, ill post my top 10 and worst 5 after this, but what was fear factor like? No videos i can find or pictures :/ and fear factor is and has been my favorite show since it came out so i would like to hear details! haha thank you!

Happy to add some detail about Fear Factor in 2002. The concept for the house was solid. The idea was for it to be pitch black and you have to feel your way through it while encountering all the things we fear: snakes, bugs, angry dogs, etc. It was all tactile with a couple small lit areas that show what you're supposed to be encountering (i.e. someone with spiders crawling on them). So if it had been kept this way where you had to feel your way through the dark, it could have been unique and cool.

The issue was, after the first day or two of the event, the house would get all clogged up from guests moving too slowly (or not at all) because of the dark. So they hastily threw lighting in ALL of the rooms. Now you could see all of the cheap props that were never meant to be seen. Like the fishing lures on ropes meant to be bugs and worms, or the mattress pads behind chain link that were supposed to be rabid dogs. All of the sudden there was nothing scary at all about the house. It was just BAD! A good conceptual idea that wasd ruined by the realities of operations.

You can see what they had in mind here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qp_Mx6Veuo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE63A2043853274F0

1. The Spawning- Seriously? I dont even have to explain this one.

that pretty much explains it :P i seriously have never met a person who liked this house. Fangoria did a terrible job with it, considering we know they can do much better. look at Leave It To Cleaver, a pretty good house that had a nice blend of comedy and scary.

Happy to add some detail about Fear Factor in 2002. The concept for the house was solid. The idea was for it to be pitch black and you have to feel your way through it while encountering all the things we fear: snakes, bugs, angry dogs, etc. It was all tactile with a couple small lit areas that show what you're supposed to be encountering (i.e. someone with spiders crawling on them). So if it had been kept this way where you had to feel your way through the dark, it could have been unique and cool.

The issue was, after the first day or two of the event, the house would get all clogged up from guests moving too slowly (or not at all) because of the dark. So they hastily threw lighting in ALL of the rooms. Now you could see all of the cheap props that were never meant to be seen. Like the fishing lures on ropes meant to be bugs and worms, or the mattress pads behind chain link that were supposed to be rabid dogs. All of the sudden there was nothing scary at all about the house. It was just BAD! A good conceptual idea that wasd ruined by the realities of operations.

You can see what they had in mind here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qp_Mx6Veuo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE63A2043853274F0

I think the only way something like that would ever become successful was if they made it even more extreme & then charged an extra fee for it. (Stealing BGT's idea, I know . . . )

I think the only way something like that would ever become successful was if they made it even more extreme & then charged an extra fee for it. (Stealing BGT's idea, I know . . . )

technically, Universal had the idea first. back in 2004 they had a house called "Severe Fear" in the Carnage Warehouse. it was an up charge house that was more extreme than the others. they built the house, but never opened it. if someone knows why they never opened it i'd like to know :P

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Severe Fear house: the story I heard from a friend who worked in costuming at the time was that guests were supposed to be issued some sort of hood/pillowcase/head-covering-thingie as part of the extreme element. However, they underestimated the logistical nightmare and cost of laundering all those hoods every night. When they figured out that the Universal laundering facilities couldn't handle the volume, the house was scrapped. No idea if this is accurate, but that's the story as I recall it.

I've been attending since 2005 (even though I don't remember THAT much from my first year), so here's my list of my favorite HHN houses (so far, of course. Still holding out for an H.P. Lovecraft house! :D):

10) Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare- If not just for the Wizard of Oz room.

9) Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate- If not just for the Captain Howdy windows.

8) Havoc: Dogs of War- If not just for the firing squad.

7) Nightingales: Blood Prey- If not just for the horse-eating scene.

6) Run: Hostile Territory- If not just for the outside of the house.

5) Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Flesh Wounds- If not just for the outside-sheets scene.

4) Demon Cantina- If not just for being the first HHN house I've ever went into (and the only one that I remember well from that year).

3) Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw- If not just for the facade and the ending.

2) Nevermore: The Madness of Poe- If not just because it's EDGAR ALLEN FRICKEN POE.

1) Dead Exposure- If not just for the fact that I almost peed myself during thisi house.

Honorable Mention- Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays- If not just for the gingerbread....mmm, gingerbread.

And, just for fun, my top 5 least favorite houses:

5) Saw- I dunno, I guess overt, consistant gore isn't enough to scare me.

4) People Under the Stairs: Under Construction- I remember just being confused and almost bored throughout this house.

3) Jack's Funhouse in Clown-O-Vision- Kind of like PUTS, except this relied more on weird 3-D effects than actual atmosphere.

2) Reflections of Fear- It....it just didn't scare me. At all. The facade was kind of cool, though.

1) The Spawning- What has already been said about this house is more than I could ever say about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Top 10 Favorite Houses

1. Castle Vampyr

2. Screamhouse

3. PsychoScareapy: Maximum Madness

4. Scary Tales III: Once Upon a Nightmare

5. PsychoScareapy

6. All Nite Die-In

7. Frankenstein: Creation of the Damned

8. Interstellar Terror

9. The Hallow

10. Catacombs: Black Death Rising

5 Worst

1. People Under the Stairs: Under Construction

2. Jungle of Doom

3. Cold Blind Terror

4. The Skool

5. The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes

• 2 weeks later...

Top 10 Favorite Houses

1. Horror Nights: The Hallow`d Past
  2. Winters Night
  3. Catacombs
  4. Dead Exposure
  5. Nightingales: Blood Prey
  6. Body Collectors: Collections of the Past
  7. The Hallow
  8. Saws n' Steam
  9. The Thing(2011)
  10. Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare

5 Worst Houses

1. The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes
  2. Jack's Funhouse
  3. Doomsday
  4. Reflections of Fear
  5. Creatures

Narrow list is due to the fact I have only been 4 years. So not many houses to choose from!

Top 10 Favorite Houses

1. Scream House: Resurrection

2. PsychoScareapy: Maximum Madness

3. Body Collectors: Collections Of The Past

4. Winter's Night: Haunting Of Hawthorn Cemetery

5. Dead Silence: The Curse Of Mary Shaw

6. A Nightmare On Elm Street: Dreamwalkers

7. Dracula: Legacy Of Blood

8. Scary Tales: Once Upon A Time

9. Catacombs: Black Death Rising

10. Reflections Of Fear

5 Worst Houses

1. Doomsday

2. The Spawning

3. Psycho Path: The Return Of Norman Bates

4. Jack's Funhouse In Clown-O-Vision

5. ZombieGeddon

Both of these lists are in no particular order. I equally liked/disliked the houses all the same if that makes sense lol

Top Ten (not in any order)

Hades: The Gates of Ruin

Silver Screams

All Night Die-In

A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers

H.R. Bloodengutz Presents Holidays of Horror

PsychoScareapy

Dead Exposure

Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past

Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorne Cemetery

The In-Between

Top worse:

Reflections of Fear (If this is not on your worst list then your really not a HHN fan)

Doomsday

The Spawning

Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate

PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook

Saws n Steam

ZombieGeddon

• 2 months later...

I have been going since 2007 (ok technically I was there in 2006 but I didn't go in any of the houses so I can't comment or say anything about the houses from that year) and in 2007 I didn't make it through all the houses that year. I have been to all of them in 08-11 though. So here's my top ten from those years which I am just randomly thinking of now

1. The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes

2. Scary Tales 3

3. Body Collectors

4. Silver Screams

5. Horror Nights: Hallow'd Past

6. The Hallow

7. Reflections of Fear ( sorry Zkeeper apparently I'm not really a HHN fan cause I did like this house a lot, even though I love everything about HHN and am obsessed with it year round and have been like addicted to it since I started going. )

8. Catacombs

9. Psychoscareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook

10. H.R. Bloodengutz

...that was really hard and tough for me to do lol. Basically I love all the houses I've been to in these years except for a small handful (which those small handful are all the next list I'm about to do). There's many more I love that couldn't fit into a list of ten.

However here's a handful I didn't really care for, aka the bottom 5

1. The Thing: Assimilation

2. Creatures

3. Doomsday

4. The Spawning

5. Havoc: Dogs of War

Edited by JWFearman

I going to attempt to narrow this down to 10.

DOT '91

S.S. Fritanic: Carange Crew '98

S.S. Frightanic: Fear In First Class '98

Museum of Horrors: Unnatural History '98

Hell's Kitchen '94

Toy Hell: Nightmare at the Scream Factory '96

Universal Creature Features (in 3D) '99

Scary Tales '01

Scary Tales II '02

Scream House '02

Psycho Scareapy '03

Body Collectors '05

Dead Silence '07

TCM: Flesh Wounds '07

Scary Tales III '08

Dead Exposure '08

The Hallow '08

Leave it To Cleaver '09

Catacombs '10

Zombie Geddon '10

Nightingales '11

OK that didn't work... 21 <_<. But I can't really narrow it down anymore.

Least favorite houses... They start in '98 because all I have is warm fuzzies for prior to that.

'98 Hell's High

'00 Dark Torment

'11 Pitch Black

'12 Fear Factor

'12 Evilution

'13 Jungle of Doom

'15 Cold Blind Terror

'17 Vampyr: Blood Bath

'18 Reflections of Fear

'20 Havoc

So there it is.

1. Castle Vampyr

2. Demon Cantina

3. PsychoScareapy: Maximum Madness

4. Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery

5. Hades: The Gates of Ruin

6. Dead Exposure

7. The In-Between

8. Catacombs: Black Death Rising

9. Body Collectors

10. Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers

Top Houses:

1. Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past

2. The Forsaken

3. Dead Exposure

4. Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw

5. Silver Screams

6. Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery

7. Catacombs: Black Death Rising

8. The In-Between

9. Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers

10. Body Collectors

Worst:

1. Vampyr: Blood Bath

2. People Under the Stairs: Under Construction

3. The Skool

4. Reflections of Fear

5. The Thing: Assimilation

Ive only been twice 09 and 11 but i will still put my 10 and worst 5.

1. Leave It To Cleaver

2. The Forsaken

3. Winter's Night

4. Saw

5. Nightingales

6. The Thing

7. The Wolfman

8. Chucky

9. Saws N' Steam

10. Nevermore

Worst 5

5. The In-Between

4. Dracula

3. Frankenstein

2. H.R. Bloodengutz

1. The Spawning

My first year was 2005, and I haven't missed a year since.

Top 10 Houses:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers (2007) -- Scares no matter how many runs through. Creative sets, brilliant pacing. Best ever.

2. Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare (2008) -- Beautiful sets with creative scares. Goldielocks stands as my favorite scene of all time.

3. Body Collectors (2005) -- The house that made me forever an HHN fan.

4. Hades: Gates of Ruin (2010) -- Claustrophobic and relentlessly intense. The medusa scares + the mirror hallway were unbelievable.

5. Body Collectors II: Collections of the Past (2008) -- Absolutely beautiful environment. Scares were perfectly placed and man, were they intense.

6. The Thing: Assimilation (2007) -- Wonderfully unique, loud, and exciting. Puppet scares in an out-of-control action movie environment.

7. Catacombs: Black Death Rising (2010) -- Unnerving and packed to the brim with scares. One of, if not the, best themed tent houses ever.

8. Dead Exposure (2008) -- The scariest house ever + best finale ever. The only thing that keeps it from the top 5 is a few deadzones in its 2nd half.

9. The In-Between (2011) -- I was floored by the 3D. So many rooms that were just so cool to walk through. Damn good cast too.

10. PsychoPath: The Return of Norman Bates (2006) -- Say what you will about the theming, the cast was so incredible that this one was the gem of 2006.

Bottom 5 Houses:

5. Vampyr: Bloodbath (2007) -- Did ANYONE like this house?

4. Jack's Funhouse in Clown-o-Vision (2007) -- Fart noises and actors that were standing in plain sight, wrongly believing themselves to be camouflaged.

3. Reflections of Fear (2008) -- The biggest let down in HHN history. Bad everything.

2. People Under the Stairs: Under Construction (2006) -- Was there ANYTHING in here besides errant pieces of wood?

1. Dungeon of Terror: Retold (2006) -- Let's never speak of this awful, awful house again.

Edited by Blizzrock13