HHN 2011: La Llorona: Villa de Almas Perdidas

Freak

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I, for one, am very happy with this. It's so refreshing to see a completely original, totally non-movie based maze!!! This is great news! And, since it's not going in HOH, Murdy and co. can see that an original house can attract as much a crowd as movie ones can. I'm not saying we should abandon movie mazes but variety is key! Not to mention, La Llorona has much more potential than was explored last year. I'm really looking forward to this! :D

^ Welcome to the site Bubba! You wouldn't happen to be a plumber by any chance, would you? :)

Here's a post from My Blog regarding the announcement:

The "announcement" was not a surprise by several HHN fans, but Universal has apparently made a major leak on their website saying that the final maze is "La Llorona: Villa de Almas Perdidas" (That's translated, "Village of Lost Souls" in case you didn't pay attention in Spanish class). The maze will take place in the Shrek queue and will feature probably the tallest facade that HHN has done.

I am a tad surprised that they decided to bring La Llorona back but in maze form. When her scarezone was featured last year, it received quite a bit of negative feedback on the internet from how "un-scary" it was. The scarezone had a nice, creepy tone to it, but it just wasn't executed properly. Since her scarezone will most likely come back because of the maze, I hope they make some improvements like put in hiding places or "boo holes" for La Llorona and her children to hide to scare the guests. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that Western area that it was in last year (If they do bring the scarezone back) knowing that the left half of the street is completely gone.

Despite the negative feedback, I think Universal made a wise choice overall to bring back La Llorona and do a maze based off of her. She's a perfect marketing icon to use since she was a legend that has haunted many generations of Hispanics, who happen to occupy the majority of LA's population.

Personally, I am very excited to see how this maze will be done. This maze will have a lot of great environment involved in it, making it stand out among the maze variety in the event. We know that the maze will start off in a church (Probably holding La Llorona's funeral) and then go on through a forest, a tomb, and possibly other places. Being that this is one of the first true original mazes since the Asylum in 2006, this will give John Murdy the ability to flex his creative muscles, do what he creatively wants in the maze, and not be restrained by what scenes or kills are in a movie.

For those of you worried that it will suck who are judging this by the inferior scarezone last year, I don't think you all need to worry. It's not going to be just a bunch of La Lloronas jumping out at you and babies vomiting in our faces. It will most likely feature her children and other lost souls that have died in the village; hence why the subtitle is, "Village of Lost Souls" in Spanish translation. I think this maze will be a pleasant surprise for those who have low expectations.

I look forward to see what John and his creative team have in store for us in the Village of Lost Souls. I'm positive the maze will be so detailed and so scary that guests will weep in terror when they hear the sorrowful weeping of La Llorona fade away as they exit the maze.

HELL FUCKING YES. Man, this concept is KICKASS and they can do SO much with it that speaks all sorts of spookiness for me. I don't know, but something about it has me VERY excited to the point where I'm anticipating it almost a bit more than The Thing. I didn't think I'd say that but the legend of La Llorona is such a great idea for a maze, especially knowing they won't go down the colorful root that Knotts did (only complaint, second/third time re-hashing/expanding a Haunt idea). This opens the door for many quiet, fog filled and bone chilling scenes. I can't wait to hear the audio they have for it. Damn sure it won't be almost like a rock soundtrack like Saw almost was. This will hopefully be a very slow and powerful maze, pulling on the strings at the most opportune creepy moments. I can't wait to see what environments they make for this. Okay, I gotta just come back down off this cloud now... it could be pulled off very poorly like the SZ and the TT segments last year... so I can't get too excited... but this is officially my second most anticipated maze under The Thing.

Im one to give ALL mazes a chance before really judging it. Therefore, i will no longer let last year experience intervene with my thoughts for this years. Im being real open minded about this and im sure Murdy and his team will pull it off to meet up to orlando's bloody mary standards. The SA will HAVE to be amped and energetic if im going to get any scares in this maze.

It's cool, I guess. More of a simple, less Latina look and my guess is they did that so they can get more American girls to play her if they needed to.

But I agree, I liked last year's look (on the poster) better than what we got in person last year and in this poster this year.

The facade looks absolutely incredible and detailed. Just looking at that picture and hearing Murdy say how incredible the environment is gives me a guy feeling that this maze will be up to Orlando's level of originality and detail. This doesn't look like it's going to be just another Freddy's Nightmare or My Bloody Valentine. Just looking at this makes me wish September 23rd would come closer.