HHN 2011: The Thing: Assimilation

Anu

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Dr. Satan, but that is in fact the title. Murdy confirmed it himself.

Orlando is basically getting a repeat. We're getting left overs. Well... sorta.

This is based off the NEW movie. New for us, semi old for them. I don't really care, this is a good movie to do a maze on and it's something TOTALLY new that Hollywood hasn't done before.

I still think they should've released this PR on Friday to coincide with the trailer. Missed opp there.

And with it being a Universal title, I don't see what the big deal was with taking forever to turn out a PR for it.

This goes to show that HNN is on top of their game with speculation. Round of applause and pats on the back you guys, we kicked ASS on this one.

And as noted before about it being a "title character," I guess The Thing DOES count. I was a bit unsure about that but I guessed that it was technically still possible.

One thing that pointed me in the direction of The Thing also was the fact that Murdy was reading the script. I saw no reason for him to read a script unless the movie was released already...

Shoot, didn't we predict this LAST YEAR?

Hopefully this doesn't diminish the chances of Scream.

I'm excited for this maze and I think it has the potential to be the best they've ever done.

Can the thread get a name change to "The Thing: Assimilation (Speculation)?"

Edited by DTH316

It'd be nearly impossible to get their old maze.

1) We have different areas with different size proportions so they wouldn't match anyway

2) It's based off the prequel as where O's was based on the original.

The fucking morons on the FB page are already bitching that it's "not scary." OMG, I wanna punch every one of them in the face...

They wouldn't know a good maze idea if it pissed in their mouth.

Who cares well be using orlando's same maze name orr "getting left overs from orlando" ..does it really ,matter? its a name and its something NEW lets be glad its not freddy or anything being repeated. So i watched the movie for the first time the other day honestly i wasnt impressed i couldnt see it being a maze but im SO EXCITED that doesnt matter now! i knoe murdy willl make it a GREAT MAZE so cheers to the first PR being early and something new to hhn. Pitch dark rooms and better sfx effects got me stoked for this year. and yes can the name on this post be changed :D

Who cares well be using orlando's same maze name orr "getting left overs from orlando" ..does it really ,matter? its a name and its something NEW lets be glad its not freddy or anything being repeated. So i watched the movie for the first time the other day honestly i wasnt impressed i couldnt see it being a maze but im SO EXCITED that doesnt matter now! i knoe murdy willl make it a GREAT MAZE so cheers to the first PR being early and something new to hhn. Pitch dark rooms and better sfx effects got me stoked for this year. and yes can the name on this post be changed :D

Read my comment carefully. I wasn't complaining.

And if you just watched the movie and still couldn't see how it could be a maze, I think you're in need of an intervention for what makes a maze to begin with.

The environment is different, right off the bat.

It's an underground facility, which right there is potentially every room to the maze, with each room where incidents happen being a different room (unlike the Exorcist where all the action happens in one room)

And it has scary ass creatures.

How the hell did you not instantly think, "this could be a maze."

Although I'm glad you have faith that it'll be a good one.

I wonder what Trevler thinks about this considering he's always been adamant about "non-slasher" mazes. I hope this pleases him considering it's something much different than what Hollywood has done before recently.

I'm very excited for this maze. I may not feel it right at this moment, maybe because I guessed it so long ago but I just know this maze is going to be amazing.

I agree with the Fb comment.... That's why I never look on the hhn Fb it makes me lose braincells I think

Sometimes I just gotta look. It's like a wasteland whirlpool for where all the stupidity goes on the internet.

It's like watching a Jackass movie. You know it's stupid but you can't look away.

Whenever I feel like I need to lose faith in humanity every once and awhile, I visit there.

Edited by DTH316

Also, this maze is going to be fucking gross. I just know it. And I'm excited for it. <3 The Thing is a movie that genuinely grosses me out due to awesome 80s puppetry and special effects and how grotesque each of the thing's forms are. Since the makers of the prequel stated they will also be using good ol' trusty puppetry and special effects, I think this maze may genuinely scare me due to it's atmosphere.

Face-Grin-120px.png

I wonder what Trevler thinks about this considering he's always been adamant about "non-slasher" mazes. I hope this pleases him considering it's something much different than what Hollywood has done before recently.

I have him on Facebook. He seems pretty pleased! :D

It'd be nearly impossible to get their old maze.

1) We have different areas with different size proportions so they wouldn't match anyway

2) It's based off the prequel as where O's was based on the original.

The fucking morons on the FB page are already bitching that it's "not scary." OMG, I wanna punch every one of them in the face...

They wouldn't know a good maze idea if it pissed in their mouth.

Here's the thing about the comments you're seeing: The negative comments are mainly coming from members of the fan page who don't actively participate. They go to HHN for a night, after it ends, they forget about it.

The more dedicated horror-crazed fans who participate year round, us, are freaking STOKED about The Thing! Just ignore the one timers. Besides, I believe the naysayers will be convinced otherwise when the time comes. ;D

But here's the thing... haha, funny... but here's the thing that scares me Anu! These people have the largest amount of SAY as to what gets put on at OUR event.

The FAN crowd is much smaller than the GP crowd and they'll vote crazy for something they probably don't know much about.

Meaning, at the end of the year when asked about The Thing on surveys, they'll say they didn't like it, it was stupid, "I didn't get it" and etc.. Leaving Murdy and team to believe, "well, I guess we can only do slashers from now on."

And I'm glad to know the movie is sticking with old school style. I was REALLY concerned it'd just be a CGI fest. Hopefully the maze can borrow actual props from the movie.

And I think someone on the spec page said that The Thing was going on the lower lot? Nooo... GV Black has long been said to be at the Shrek venue. That seems like a proper place for it.

Edited by DTH316

And as noted before about it being a "title character," I guess The Thing DOES count. I was a bit unsure about that but I guessed that it was technically still possible.

I believe I called that one and the Blue cross was counting to the Flag of the norwegians (SP?)

And I think someone on the spec page said that The Thing was going on the lower lot? Nooo... GV Black has long been said to be at the Shrek venue. That seems like a proper place for it.

Didnt Murdy already said "Run Forrest Run" was going in Shrek? Im pretty sure its going in the lower lot...

awwww I cant wait to see the snow on that facade and to feel the cold well we can get the burning Flesh smell but what in the thing smells like fresh bake cookies?

It's not the first time we guessed a maze right!

All of last year, we guessed right too! All the way down to Chucky doing the Terror Tram and HOTC (... or was it just I who speculated that? haha). All the repeats weren't in the forefront of spec though as it was more of a "wouldn't it suck if..." kinda thing but nonetheless, it counts.

And I wouldn't say full intuition... we knew the movie was coming out so that was an indicator. Or at least for me it was.

Codename was GV Black. Blue Cross because the flag for Antarctica is a blue cross. It'll be located in the Shrek extended.

PULLED FROM THE SPEC THREAD:

GV Black:

-Will have area in maze that will be nearly pitch-dark

-Lots of SFX

-Character has silver fillings in movie

-Has something that indirectly relates to dentistry

-Murdy thought of the codename when reading the film's script...

I do remember the Run, Forest, Run... not sure how that relates with The Thing though...

Edited by DTH316

It's not the first time we guessed a maze right!

All of last year, we guessed right too! All the way down to Chucky doing the Terror Tram and HOTC (... or was it just I who speculated that? haha). All the repeats weren't in the forefront of spec though as it was more of a "wouldn't it suck if..." kinda thing but nonetheless, it counts.

And I wouldn't say full intuition... we knew the movie was coming out so that was an indicator. Or at least for me it was.

Codename was GV Black. Blue Cross because the flag for Antarctica is a blue cross. It'll be located in the Shrek extended.

PULLED FROM THE SPEC THREAD:

GV Black:

-Will have area in maze that will be nearly pitch-dark

-Lots of SFX

-Character has silver fillings in movie

-Has something that indirectly relates to dentistry

-Murdy thought of the codename when reading the film's script...

I do remember the Run, Forest, Run... not sure how that relates with The Thing though...

no im Saying wasnt the Run Forrest Run hint for the Shrek venue which means the Thing wont be in the shrek venue.

and on the FB I have a gut feeling all those complaining havnt even seen the movie because when someone brought up alien there all "How are Aliens scarry?) my thinking is there expecting Aliens like James Cameron/Speilberg Aliens since if you have seen the the movie you would know that the Alien has no form and most of the time is a mutilated mutated human body and if you saw the stomich mouth guy or the head crawly thing you shit your pants

i mean how is this not scary/funny

JuneauiiiCiiiiTheThing1982iii79.jpg

Run, Forest, Run wasn't a codename, it was a hint attached to a codename. I'll go back and look at some of the spec but I'm pretty sure... however, GV Black has since been confirmed to be the Shrek venue.

Edited by DTH316

Aw, crap! Nevermind. TOTALLY WRONG. I was confusing GV Black with Soap Opera (that's the codename associated with Run, Forest, Run). Keep moving folks, nothing to see here lol

But yeah, The Thing's location hasn't been announced yet... I'm hoping it's used for the new location.

Okay, so new game guys. Let's call it, "first to speculate."

And let's start off with our brand new maze, The Thing, shall we?

The first to speculate was...

GRINDHOUSEHERO13! On April 11th, 2011.

"Soap opera-could very well be scream I think the whole Bruce Camble being on a sop opera is a pretty complicated hint so I doubt that much effort was put into it but also Id like to throw in The Thing, the prequal is due out in October and Soap opera makes sense sense in the same way with scream you know twist and turns"

The codename match may be wrong but Grindhouse was the first to throw The Thing into the speculation game for 2011! (there was some speculation back in 2010 but I was too lazy to go through the archives to see who mentioned it way back than...)

Other early on The Thing spec?

00nightcrawler: I'm pretty certain the maze based off a 2011 film will be The Thing or Lords of Salem.

MYSELF (in a mega post of all the upcoming 2011 horror films, it was one of three films I found the most plasuible): The Thing - Possible, opens in October, might be animatronic heavy but worth a shot. Recognizable film, more than likely going to be a success with a crossover advertisement for it

More Grindhouse: again highly doubt its gonna be insideous, Scream should be out of the 2011 list because if its used it wont just be the forth it would be the whole franchise, its most likely the thing

In May - -

Freakazoid: I think we could put the Thing prequel coming out this October back into the speculation mix. Now that the event will most likely expand to six mazes this year, I think that's big enough to have just one cross-over maze to promote their new movie. Murdy did say the he had access to the script (right?). The Thing is by Universal; he works at Universal. Hmmm.....

More Freakazoid: Also, I have a very strong feeling about the Thing being used as a cross-promotion film this year...

Okay, remember back when I said I was too lazy to look into older speculation? I lied.

The SUPER WINNER is...

ANU! November 1st (wow... the very day after the last event ended lmao)

"Did I already mention The Thing?

I've dreamed of this movie being a maze for ages now. The 80s "The Thing" we know and love is horrifically grotesque and very interesting, but the problem it's not exactly new.

BUT the remake/prequel will be coming out next Spring! This is the perfect opportunity to use The Thing in HHN. My only fear is that the maze will be too costly. Let's be honest, The Thing on it's own looks very costly. The grotesque creatures formed from the alien were quite elaborate and wonderfully disgusting. I guess it's safe to assume this new prequel will use CGI, CGI, and more CGI (ugh) so I'm not sure how well the creations used in the movie will be transferred to maze format. The puppetry in The Thing was great! Perhaps these methods will be utilized at HHN? I hope so.

Buttera, yeah. The Thing maze for HHN 2011! Strike the iron while it's hot, Mr. Murdy!"

Pretty much everyone joined in and agreed haha

OKAY OKAY... I WENT EVEN FURRRRRRRTHER BACK...

2010 speculation here, you guys! This is JUNE 30th, 2010!

00nightcrawler! : Probably better for 2011, but I'm surprised nobody had mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia....hing_(2011_film)

The Thing is a horror classic. I highly recommend giving it another view, it's great. I also remember Murdy saying he would like to do it but on a bigger, more expensive scale than Orlando. I think this is the perfect opportunity if its a hit. It is a universal property, has a great location set in the arctic, a shape shifting villain allowing for many different scare actors and really, the Thing is just awesome. I think putting it on the lower lot in 2011 with a big budget would make a cool maze.

That said, not sure how popular the Thing is and the box office on this one could go anywhere. Depends on marketing and of course quality.

Some other speculation/conversations from around that time:

electro_killer: IMO I dont see it happening. The crowd that HHN attracts arent familiar with that movie. (or I know I'm not) Ive tried watching it once and it just didnt do anything for me. [no pun intended]

grindhouse: Its actualy very big and well known and it did well in orlando in 07 Murdy just does not want to do it till he can improve the technology Orlando used.

MEEEEEE: You're telling me a guy's head falling off, sprouting legs and running off in the most graphic detail possible did nothing for you?

2010 Speculation Winner: 00nightcrawler

2011 Speculation Winner: Grindhousehero13

2011 Wishful Thinking Winner: Anu

00nightcrawler is the ULTIMATE winner EVEN THOUGH his speculation occurred in the 2010 sprec thread BUT he DID mention, however, that it should be spec for 2011. So in that case, he wins the first ever, "FIRST TO SPECULATE - THE THING - AWAAAARD!"

June 2010....... wow. As said before, anyone who wants to join REAL speculation for the HHN community needs to join HNN. This is where it's at!

No silly business... we take our speculation seriously... apparently an entire year prior, seriously... lmao

Edited by DTH316

The Thing?

I approve.

John Carpenter's the Thing is easily one of my favorite films, so that outs my expectations extremely high. I just hope that most of the scares will be form the Thing itself in some way, rather than the soldier/doctor scares Orlando had.

And I thought we all knew by now that FB is full of lead paint chugging idiots. I'm guessing those that didn't think the Thing is scary either didn't get it or simply never saw it. I think the scene with the dogs should be justification enough for the maze.