HHN 2011: The Thing: Assimilation

Anu

Guys, you know that this maze will not be based on the John Carpenter movie, but the upcoming prequel? Just thought I'd make sure everyone's clear on what the maze really is.

I'm VERY happy USH is finally expanding their boundaries and doing something that's not a slasher. I'm very excited to see what John and his team are going to do with this maze! On top of that, they're finally utilizing one of their own properties to make a good maze. Although the idiotic general public doesn't have any imagination and can't discern for what a good maze is or what makes a maze good, I'm sure The Thing will prove to them that a good maze doesn't have to have a popular slasher/torture icon - that has been used several times to top it off. This will probably be my most anticipated maze because of all of the potentially awesome things (No pun intended) this attraction will have in store for us. Since USH wil be using this maze to promote their upcoming prequel, I'm sure management will make sure that this maze is the crown-jewel of the event so this maze could possibly be the scariest/most spectacular THING they've ever done! There is one thing that worries me though. If the maze is REALLY good, you know the GP is going to say, "Bring back the Thing for next year! Bring it back!" That is one thing I hope they never do to the maze. Whatever the case, I'm PUMPED for this maze! :D

Also, would it be terrible guys if we also made this the official review thread when the event starts as well as the anticipation thread for this maze?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my comment carefully. I wasn't complaining.

And if you just watched the movie and still couldn't see how it could be a maze, I think you're in need of an intervention for what makes a maze to begin with.

The environment is different, right off the bat.

It's an underground facility, which right there is potentially every room to the maze, with each room where incidents happen being a different room (unlike the Exorcist where all the action happens in one room)

And it has scary ass creatures.

How the hell did you not instantly think, "this could be a maze."

Although I'm glad you have faith that it'll be a good one.

I never said anyone is complaining but i dont believe having the same maze name as orlando or gettting something they already had should really matter. you said "Orlando is basically getting a repeat. We're getting left overs"...its something NEW for us technically its not leftovers if we havent had it. We shouldnt be compared to orlando they been around for going on 21 years now were gonna eventually use an idea they had...actually we already did with the director in 2006 and the carnival of carnage in 2007. And my problem with the thing being a maze was based on the limited enviroments. Yes they has a underground facility but it would get kind of boring being in the same enviroment the whole time IMO. None the less its going to be a GREAT maze.Im not going to bash it in anway til actually going through the maze something people on the fb page should consider. especially after viewing the video steven just posted orlandos looked great :D Does this mean The Thing will be our main icon though ??

DTH also Id like to point out I was the first one to peg The Thing to GV Black a while back.........just saying

Does this mean The Thing will be our main icon though ??

I wonder, it would make sense The Thing has the ability to be the Icon, Invading Universal Studios to Assmulate into the world, I can see the taglines now Halloween Horror Nights: Fear The Unknown or Who Can You Trust?, or even on a cheesy level "Not Affraid? you got another THING coming" lol

IDK Im honestly excited for this the Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time and Im excited for the sequal plus Im in love with Mary Elizabeth Winsted but let move on at thsi point the rest of the mazes could all be "Nightmare On Elm Street: hey we heard you want more of the Fredster! so heres five mazes" Bill and Ted could be replace by The Saw Twins and I still call this the best year ever.

Also this marks the first time they gave a full fledge maze to one of the're own movies instead of shoving them in HOH.

Also, would it be terrible guys if we also made this the official review thread when the event starts as well as the anticipation thread for this maze?

Aw, I guess what you're trying to say is, "we need more space on the Hollywood side." Haha. But I like it when there's multiple threads for each thing because it's a lot easier to find whatever we were talking about at the time instead of shifting through 40 pages looking for either spec or a review. I guess this and anticipation thread are naturally the same thing but I think reviews for the maze should definitely be a new thread...

And my problem with the thing being a maze was based on the limited enviroments. Yes they has a underground facility but it would get kind of boring being in the same enviroment the whole time IMO. None the less its going to be a GREAT maze.Im not going to bash it in anway til actually going through the maze something people on the fb page should consider. especially after viewing the video steven just posted orlandos looked great :D Does this mean The Thing will be our main icon though ??

So here's the thing about environments... most horror movies tend to have different locations in where they're placed. They hardly are set in ONE place which means it can either have just one good environment while the rest are regular (like say, Halloween), it could have ALL good environments (like say, MBV) or it can take place in one singular awesome environment (like say, TCM). So it's not about an array of enviornments, it's about how the environments are suitable for the maze. And in TCM's case and in the case of The Thing, the one singular environment is an EXPANSIVE environment so it'll never get boring because each room will be different. In fact, this is also the case with Saw, as that is all in one facility. So as long as the one environment can be expansive enough to fill just one maze, it's fine but if an entire maze took place in say, Michael Myer's house, then it'd be pretty boring because it's just one house... unless we were on the first floor, the second floor, the attic, the basement, lol.

And no, The Thing won't be the main icon. I don't see how it... could... be.

HOWEVER

I was just reminded last night as I was drifting off into bed...

Knotts had a maze similar to the thing last year. Anyone remember Fallout Shelter?

In fact, they had a The Thing animatronic inside of it.

ERGGGH. It seems to me, every year, Universal is getting behind the curve on something they pick up.

First it was Saw from Sinister Pointe, La Llorona from Knotts in Dia De Los Muertos and now The Thing from Knotts in Fallout Shelter.

At LEAST Universal does it better but from the idea stand point, Universal needs to revolutionize, not just one-up the competition.

Oh well, I'm still uber excited for this maze.

And Freak, yeah, this is based off the prequel so it won't have all the things we know and love (god, there's just so many Thing puns in here...)

but hopefully Murdy will throw some of it in there. And I'm more than positive, the prequel will rehash some ideas from the original anyway.

And I saw that Orlando video too and I'm hoping it's not just a bunch of people doing the scaring either.

The sets looked good but the scares looked very lame for what the source material was.

It was basically Saw with the victims jumping out and crying over and over again (Frozen man, guy asking for help in the bathroom).

It was a disappointing watch haha

If THAT is the future of our maze then this could go from being the most anticipated to the most lame experience.

A few victims is fine but every scene? Jeez, that was such overkill...

Edited by DTH316

:) I'm glad Trevler is happy!

And now, the first edition of...

The Biggest Idiots on Facebook - The Thing Edition #1

(names have been taken out... for their idiotic protection)

"The thing!!??? Is that gonna b a maze??? How will that b scary??"

[My concern... 7 people liked this comment]

"Ah, not too happy about this one it doesn't really have gore scary ass monster/killers which sucks think you'll just be walking theru an ice box with scene of the movies not things poping out'!

Comon horror nights make this year bigger & BETTER & scared the living shiit out of us '!!!"

[6 people liked this completely incorrect interpretation of the movie...]

Shape shifting alien! Yay! Spooooky... NOT! Wtf HHN?! Smh...

&

OR as fans our expectations are just that much higher. We expect the best... just saying!

&

Yeeahh!! Woooot!!! HHN!! >.<; (I go about every single night to HHN) I expect to get scared shitless! & an alien doesn't do it for me. Just saying! (:

[This person obviously totally just does NOT get it...]

"noooooooooooooooooooo! aliens arent scary thats sci-fi! u have so many more choices like tcm,friday,halloween ,nightmare,hotc,bloody valentine,saw,dead silence,the strangers,ed gein!"

[so many more choices? Funny... could've sworn we've used ALL OF THOSE BEFORE!!!! AAAAAAUGHHH!!!!

"the killer clown is "IT". The movie "The Thing" is an old a** lame movie that takes place in Alaska... It sucks!!"

[Alaska?... that's all I'm gonna say. Moving on.]

"wait, dawn of the dead producers? LAME"

[1) Dawn of the Dead is fucking awesome.

2) Producers don't really change how good a movie is gonna be.

3) ... this in no way judges how good a maze will be.]

Congratulations. You've all been selected as the biggest idiots on Facebook (in regards to The Thing) - _ -

OFFICIAL NEWS:

The Thing: Assimilation will be in the Wild Wild Wild West Arena.

The maze WILL be cold and they will be using all of the HVAC units for it.

The facade will be the snowy front of the outpost :)

(all from Murdy's Twitter)

This is my favorite venue and I was hoping Scream would occupy it but let's just hope it does it justice.

If Scream gets crammed into a small little area like Shrek, I'll be a bit peeved (more peeved if it doesn't come at all).

"Ah, not too happy about this one it doesn't really have gore scary ass monster/killers which sucks think you'll just be walking theru an ice box with scene of the movies not things poping out'!

Comon horror nights make this year bigger & BETTER & scared the living shiit out of us '!!!"

[6 people liked this completely incorrect interpretation of the movie...].

"the killer clown is "IT". The movie "The Thing" is an old a** lame movie that takes place in Alaska... It sucks!!"

[Alaska?... that's all I'm gonna say. Moving on.]

"wait, dawn of the dead producers? LAME"

[1) Dawn of the Dead is fucking awesome.

2) Producers don't really change how good a movie is gonna be.

3) ... this in no way judges how good a maze will be.]

Congratulations. You've all been selected as the biggest idiots on Facebook (in regards to The Thing) - _ -

First Of "Not Gory??"..........he hasnt seen the movie obvousily or maybe Dogs getting Mutilated, A head ripping off someones body and sprouting legs and eyes, someone's gut splitting open into a worm like mouth filled with teeth and and chewing off some guys hands isnt gory enough (If so I would not like to live with the person that does not find that scary)

Alaska? I didnt know Sara Palin had a facebook, either that or Geography has stoped being tought in highschool.

The guy that said old lame movie despite that slight against god he just said what part of "Prequal hitting theaters this october" does he not understand oh I forgot they had acces to a time machine.........

Whats with everybody and the sci-fi crap its a horror movie yes it has a alien in it but its not like there in space or the future.

DTH give me the name of the guy who insulted Dawn of The Dead Im gonna go drop kick him and slap the docter that gave him birth ugh! oh btw producer not having anything to doi with a movie sucking? obviously you had never mey Micheal Bay.......Jk I could resist but that was for the sake of comedy your point is correct.

and I bet anybody 5 bucks that most of those guys are confusing The Thing with this guy.......

Thing-4-321x600.jpg

OFFICIAL NEWS:

I rather it be in the lower lot but Im so excited to hear this lol

Aw, I guess what you're trying to say is, "we need more space on the Hollywood side." Haha. But I like it when there's multiple threads for each thing because it's a lot easier to find whatever we were talking about at the time instead of shifting through 40 pages looking for either spec or a review. I guess this and anticipation thread are naturally the same thing but I think reviews for the maze should definitely be a new thread...

Fair enough. :)

OFFICIAL NEWS:

This is my favorite venue and I was hoping Scream would occupy it but let's just hope it does it justice.

If Scream gets crammed into a small little area like Shrek, I'll be a bit peeved (more peeved if it doesn't come at all).

I was actually foreseeing it go in the JP extended queue. I guess they might be saving the JP Extended for Scream. I would comment about Evil Dead, but I think I'll bring it up in the Speculation thread since this is just the maze anticipation thread for the Thing.

I guess it actually would make sense in the Wild, Wild West arena. What I hope they do is utilize the entire structure of the maze to make it thematically fit with the facade like they did with Orlando's maze. For example, I don't think their maze even had a facade. When I saw a picture of it, all there was were just some vehicles from the movie, a barbed wire fence, a watch tower, and just a small opening in the entrance with barely any facade. They set it up as if the sprung tent was the research facility itself. Hopefully they'll use the facade to blend in with the black tent structure to make it look like that you're going inside an actual research facility rather than just going through some facade attached to a large black tent and suddenly end up in the outpost. What would be even cooler is is they used some snow vehicles, barbed wire fences, maybe small radio towers or things of that nature like they did in Orlando to enhance the setting of the maze. If possible, maybe they could put those snow machines they have stored for Grinchmas to good use and use them for the maze in some way. They can't use any of the snow inside since the stuff is essentially soap and people would slip in the maze; however, I wonder if they can use for outside the maze, like for the facade? Just have some snow fall in front of the facade (Or even on the facade) with some props in front of the facade (If budget will allow) and we got ourselves probably the most thematically detailed experience to ever come to HHNH.

For those of you worried about our maze becoming too "victim focused" like Orlando's maze was in 2007, rest assured. John has just stated that the maze will be very "creature-heavy". The maze will be cold, use lots of special effects, have awesome environment, the creature going after you, a near pitch-dark room - man, this sounds like it could be the best maze ever done! Since Universal will be using this maze to promote the event, I think management might have been pushing Murdy to make this the best out of the entire event, if possible.

Fair enough. :)

I was actually foreseeing it go in the JP extended queue. I guess they might be saving the JP Extended for Scream. I would comment about Evil Dead, but I think I'll bring it up in the Speculation thread since this is just the maze anticipation thread for the Thing.

I guess it actually would make sense in the Wild, Wild West arena. What I hope they do is utilize the entire structure of the maze to make it thematically fit with the facade like they did with Orlando's maze. For example, I don't think their maze even had a facade. When I saw a picture of it, all there was were just some vehicles from the movie, a barbed wire fence, a watch tower, and just a small opening in the entrance with barely any facade. They set it up as if the sprung tent was the research facility itself. Hopefully they'll use the facade to blend in with the black tent structure to make it look like that you're going inside an actual research facility rather than just going through some facade attached to a large black tent and suddenly end up in the outpost. What would be even cooler is is they used some snow vehicles, barbed wire fences, maybe small radio towers or things of that nature like they did in Orlando to enhance the setting of the maze. If possible, maybe they could put those snow machines they have stored for Grinchmas to good use and use them for the maze in some way. They can't use any of the snow inside since the stuff is essentially soap and people would slip in the maze; however, I wonder if they can use for outside the maze, like for the facade? Just have some snow fall in front of the facade (Or even on the facade) with some props in front of the facade (If budget will allow) and we got ourselves probably the most thematically detailed experience to ever come to HHNH.

For those of you worried about our maze becoming too "victim focused" like Orlando's maze was in 2007, rest assured. John has just stated that the maze will be very "creature-heavy". The maze will be cold, use lots of special effects, have awesome environment, the creature going after you, a near pitch-dark room - man, this sounds like it could be the best maze ever done! Since Universal will be using this maze to promote the event, I think management might have been pushing Murdy to make this the best out of the entire event, if possible.

Murdy already said there not using the Grinchmas snow machines due to the snow being soap based

idk if this is real art or bullsh*t (especially cuz i cant really read it either but i found this too...

http://gabrielbloghe...pode-acontecer/

actualy I transalted it and from the little amount of words that were transalted in bing translater it seems to be from a fail Thing sequal that turned into a fail The Thing TV series for Syfy. Be it would be cool to see those concept at HHN I all tingly!

actualy I transalted it and from the little amount of words that were transalted in bing translater it seems to be from a fail Thing sequal that turned into a fail The Thing TV series for Syfy. Be it would be cool to see those concept at HHN I all tingly!

if i worked this maze i would KILLLLL to look like this

vgp-thethingremake-4.jpg

Alright well I have John Carpenters version of The Thing set to record tomorrow so I will watch it then and let you guys know what I think about it tomorrow. Although I have watched a few videos on youtube and it looks a bit more promising. My main thing about it at the moment is that I just simply have not seen it.

I'm very happy with this haha. As DTH said, ive been pulling for a maze based on The Thing to come for years now, I think since I first attended in 2007. And I'm aware its based on the new film, but the location and monster is the same so in a maze setting its essentially the same thing. So far, I'm already more excited than last year.

And the thing video game sucks. Picked it up at gamestop a while back, quite disappointing.

Edited by 00nightcrawler

Murdy said he wasn't going to use animatronics anytime soon... and he's claiming this will be creature heavy.

How do you guys suppose he'll be doing the creatures this year?

Hey, this may be a small thing but honestly, we seriously couldn't get a different subtitle than the one used by Orlando 4 years ago?

What's that about?! I was looking through some old posts I made and one of my mock-events had - -

The Thing: From Another World

Which I think would be badass considering that's the name of the original movie that inspired John Carpenter's film. And considering this is a prequel based on that movie, it seems fitting...

Edited by DTH316

I wonder what the final scare will be...im sure the last room will require The Thing to be present but what will be a few cool ways they can do it ?? Maybe the last scene will be the pitch black room...hmmm idk. Also the names not a huge factor to me lol When i go into a maze i honestly dont pay attention to that i just need to know what characters maze ill be going in. And Murdy mentioned it would be crreature heavy so thats a good thing to know.

Edited by HorrorNights93

The name is only for the history books. People will talk about these mazes and their quality, but they will be branded by their name.

And since there's fans of both HHNH and HHNO, things will get confusing.

People will look back on the event, years from now, and may end up confused and may even wonder why we got a repeat from Orlando 4 years later.

A different name would differentiate the two. Who knows, people may forget about this prequel 10 years from now but the fans of HHN will remember the maze.

But it'll be hard to explain to our little future HHN fans (our children, little siblings and such) the history of it all when it comes to a forgotten movie.

A name sets things in stone - - but this name is using a prior used stone from before.