Horror Nights XI Question - Mummy Maze

HalloweenHaunt

Hey everyone,

I was just curious about the mummy maze that was featured at the 2001 HHN. Just kinda wondering what it was like visually & what anyone thought of it. If anyone has photos of it too, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-HH

you know, I have always, always wondered about this same thing, but never actually asked anyone, The mummy is one of my favorite movies and the fact that they did a house makes me so curious,

I remember seeing a sketch, I think some of the actors had anubis type masks, I think? not sure, like I said i dont know anything

It would be cool if someone answered

I've never experienced The 2001 Mummy maze (or any other ones from different years), but here are some pictures from previous mummy-themed mazes and rooms at HNN:

VI:

19372_294183738641_588308641_4785364_587436_n.jpg

IX:

24666_434663383641_588308641_5603923_319790_n.jpg

IX:

24666_434663603641_588308641_5603925_2106839_n.jpg

XI:

14642_208072998641_588308641_4193347_1099452_n.jpg

*Photos from Dr. Raymond Holmes' (Charles') Facebook fanpage "Fans of Universal Orlando's Art and Design".

Universal Studios Hollywood also had a walk-through attraction based off the Mummy movies in the building where House of Horrors currently is. "The Mummy Returns Chamber of Doom" was around from May 2001 to January 2004.

Hope some of that helped a bit. :)

Edited by The Director of Horror

Hey all-

I did this maze in 2001. My memory of it isn't so great since it's been almost ten years and I only did it the one time. What I do remember is that it was the maze I was most excited for (I love ancient Egypt and the theming) and I was pretty let down. I remember it being just "fine". There was that soft foam floors, trying to simulate sand. There were lots and lots of torn fabric and nets and most of the scareactors were just generic people in robes popping out (many bald guys too). I also remember them using that animatronic of the hanged man that they re-used in Evil-ution and Silver Screams. There wasn't nearly as much pyramid/temple theming as I hoped and I think that was part of my disappointment. Again, it wasn't bad but, considering the premise, it wasn't as good as I hoped. Not to be a downer ;)

To end on a positive note, though, the Universal Classic Monster Mania maze in 2000 WAS amazing!!! They had the Wolfman on a bungee cord, the Creature from the Black Lagoon coming from behind a waterfall with strobes, Frankenstein's lab... still one of my favorite houses ever!

Hey all-

I did this maze in 2001. My memory of it isn't so great since it's been almost ten years and I only did it the one time. What I do remember is that it was the maze I was most excited for (I love ancient Egypt and the theming) and I was pretty let down. I remember it being just "fine". There was that soft foam floors, trying to simulate sand. There were lots and lots of torn fabric and nets and most of the scareactors were just generic people in robes popping out (many bald guys too). I also remember them using that animatronic of the hanged man that they re-used in Evil-ution and Silver Screams. There wasn't nearly as much pyramid/temple theming as I hoped and I think that was part of my disappointment. Again, it wasn't bad but, considering the premise, it wasn't as good as I hoped. Not to be a downer ;)

To end on a positive note, though, the Universal Classic Monster Mania maze in 2000 WAS amazing!!! They had the Wolfman on a bungee cord, the Creature from the Black Lagoon coming from behind a waterfall with strobes, Frankenstein's lab... still one of my favorite houses ever!

thank you for telling us, I think you're the first person I ever hear talk about it :)

• 1 year later...

They should have done re-imagined Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, Wolfman, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Silver Screams, and Phantom of the Opera for Ripped from the Silver Screen.

But that's^ only seven houses.... dry.gif

I fantasized about the same thing that year.

Would have been 100x better than the lame CHUCKY, SAW and SPAWNING houses.

Wasn't a fan of LEAVE IT TO CLEAVER either.

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm a new member here, though I've been lurking for a few weeks. I also used to visit the older vault from time to time.

Sorry to resurrect an older post, but I went to Halloween Horror Nights XI, and can add my two cents on the mummy house. First off, it is the only HHN that I have ever been to, though I am going to HHN Hollywood next week. I'm sure things have changed a lot, and of course it will be very different because of how different USH is from USO. I'm also very excited, as I've wanted to go back every year since 2001, but as I don't live anywhere near Orlando or Hollywood, I just haven't been able to do so.

So, as you all know, the 2001 event was watered down because of 9/11, but we didn't know that at the time. There wasn't a lot of news about the event online, and I don't think they had much of a website for that event. In subsequent years they added a lot more content to the event websites, which I would devour most years.

I took my wife, then girlfriend, to this event, but she is too disturbed by horror to ever go with me again. We went for three nights straight, and had VIP passes on the last day. So I went through all of the houses many, many times. I LOVED this event, almost everything about it was awesome. But I'm going to have to basically echo what Creeper06 said, the Mummy house was a big let down. Easily the worst house there. There was very little actually in the house, and most of the effects were just motionless scare actors in mummy makeup lumbering through scenes with very little detail, mostly consisting of mummy bandages slung from wall to wall. I remember that the Mummy movies were at the height of their popularity though, and that lots of people went through the house anyway. It was pretty close to the Run house, which was WAY better.

I don't want to say too much in my first post, but if anyone would like to know more about this event, I'd be happy to tell you what I remember. I spent one of the nights video taping the event with my camcorder. It was a Sony Digital8 camcorder which I haven't had for a long time, but I'm pretty sure I transferred the HHN video to a VHS tape years ago. Maybe I'll see if I can find it and upload it for people to enjoy. That is if I can find it, and it hasn't been destroyed.

Anyway, hope that this helps out a little. I wish I could have said the mummy maze was great, but it really wasn't. But all of the other four houses that year were fantastic!

• 5 years later...