King's Opening Weekend Review. (Page 2 : New Scarezone Reviews up! 10/17)

King_K.

Header.gif

Alright, if I had to sum up HHN XX I would..do it as such :

-Ayyy

-Catacombs

-Rain

-Hanging crap in houses + Air Effects = Suffocation.

-Feet Don't Fail Me Now

-Amazing time with friends that I love.

I was lucky enough to go to Opening Weekend this year after having not gone to an opening weekend since 03'. I was with an amazing group of friends and got to meet alot of people that I haven't had the chance to meet. We were able to do the AP party on both days, so we got great house counts in the two days. It was a freaking thrill. I'm not much for intros, so lets just dive into the house/scarezone reviews.

Hallowd.jpg

3of5-1.gif

This house was the most amazing amount of Eye Candy I've ever gotten at Horror Nights. This was also my "I just got out of the blinding sun, and now i'm blinded in the dark" house. The first time going through I received no scares. I was disappointed, but I figured it was because I was taking my time by looking at the actual house. Each scene in the house was great, the bad thing is that they were all from such recent houses, with the exception of the Frightanic scene (One of my favorite houses ever). I think what disappointed me about the house wasn't the cast itself, but the amazing amount of dead spaces. I figure that if you're going to go balls out on a house of that size, then pleaaaase staff it. I did this house about..6 times, and I really only got scared by a Treak once and by the chainsaw actor in the first crate after the spinning tunnel. Love, love, loved the house, just wasn't feeling the scares. Big shoutout to the Body Collectors (and victim) on both casts, I saw cast B the most though and also, a bit shoutout to the Alice room, you guys were great.

Cat.jpg

Catacombs.gif

BEST HOUSE HANDS DOWN. Sorry for the caps, but holy shit.

I went through this house eight times, between Fri and Sat, and wow. Plague doctors are amazing. (Plague victims are amazing too) This is a tight house. Very claustrophobic feeling while going through it, and it just delivered. Every. Time. Constant scares and great energy. Major shout outs to the Plague Doctors that are all very tight in one specific hallway. I believe there's three of you right in there.Amazing scares. Another major shout out to the plague-er's at the entrance, and at the exit. The exit scene is just amazing. It's one of those scenes that makes you want to drop what you're holding and run. There's a certain air effect that literally wrapped one of the white curtains into my face and almost suffocated me, I unwrapped myself from it and got a major scare from the plague-er in that last corner before the exit. Pretty sure it was cast A. You my friend, are brutal. Keep up the good work guys, you can EASILY win HOTY. Just watch out for Hades, they're vicious. I wish I could write more, and I probably will, but man, still amazed and it's been 3 days since last going into the house.

Havoc.jpg

3of5-1.gif

Havoc, Havoc, Havoc. Man, your house is LOUD. Loud effects, loud scareactors, loud music, loud everything. But I loved it! I went through this house 7 times. The people in this house really have an amazing amount of energy. You guys really represented what it would look like if our government decided to breed supersoldiers. You guys and gals were pumped! The house had a constant flow with consistent and well timed scares, it was fantastic. I have to admit that I got scared more by the sounds of the e-prompts, than I did from some of the scareactors. Some of you really have to work with what's given to you. Some actors really have their shit down though, haha. The guy in the big holding cell right towards the beginning, you my friend, reminded me of Bane from Batman, on steroids. There was one specific part that you rip at your face and you released some type of liquid. It was bruuuutal. Another shoutout goes to S0duku, you were GREAT! It was great that you acknowledged us since you know us, but it was even better that you attempted to scare us right after. Loads of fun! Just wish there was less plastic hanging down and smacking me in the face, and more scares from the actors themselves.

Orf.jpg

2of5-1.gif

Loved the house, didn't get any scares though. Sorry guys. The only reason I didn't like the house that much is that it actually had a consistent amount of scareactors, but it was mostly stares and glares from a distance, no actual scares. The fire effect in the house is great, really didn't know what to expect when I heard of an open flame effect but it was great. It's definitely alot better at night though, alot better. Shout out to Emmy in the house! I wish you were in a better spot, but great nonetheless. Loved the smell in the house too.

Zombiegeddon.jpg

4of55-1.gif

I was only able to go through this house twice and I was impressed both times! The only hiccup is that the house is really, really visible during the day and makes it so much less enjoyable. I didn't really know what to expect from this house, other than the fact that I knew that it was the "dark humor turned serious at the end" house. It was fantastic! Amazing scares in some of the rooms, and honestly, the baby hitting the window scene, actually got me really, really good in the house. Just cause of the unexpectedness. Scott (Invader_Butterz) is amazing as a loudmouthed trainer on a bullhorn. I made sure to "hide my kids and hide my wife" after you instructed us to, it was hilarious. The other most effective scare I got in the house was in the body bag room. I got some great scares in that scene, especially at night. After learning the backstory that relates the house to the scarezone right at the exit, it only made this house that much more enjoyable. Great energy, great laughs, and loads of fun.

Hades.jpg

4of5-1.gif

So, Hades. I was able to go through your house a total of 4 times, and I was lucky enough to be in the house with my friends as SOON as you opened up from the technical difficulties you had on Sat. night. It was great to be the only ones in there. Great group scares in the entrance. Really almost my number one house. Catacombs is up there right now, but wow. You guys are giving them a run for their money. I really have to point out two specific roles in this house. One of them is Medusa. Consistently scared the crap out of me. Especially you Victoria. Many, many, thanks. Hahaha. You got me good on so many occasions, it was ridiculous. As for the other role, it's the hydra that pops out of a boohole towards the end of the house. You are amazing. You literally made me drop my glasses on the floor from how high I jumped. Sorry I cursed at you, a lot. Out of the four times I went, you got me three, and they were massive ones. Haven't gotten a good scare like that in years. Many thanks, Hades crew!

PS.jpg

3of5-1.gif

This was a great house! Great use of the old facade from 06, it was truly missed. Bruce it was great seeing you in the house on both run throughs! The only thing that sucked is that the massive downpour that happened on Friday, just casually happened when me and my friends were in line for the house. It made me realize that they soundstages have really freaking cold air conditioning. Alright, on to the house, it had a great atmosphere! Really pushes the point that it's an abandoned mental hospital. I think that one of the best, and most chilling scenes of the house is the bars room. All those fake hands, totally creeped me out. Alot. Didn't get a good scare there though. I actually received very few scares, it was odd. I did get two good ones in other scenes, the electric chair scene and the padded strobe room towards the end, kudos guys!

LT-1.jpg

2of5-1.gif

I was originally going to give it a one, but the technology in the house bumps it up a notch. Gorgeous facade, gorgeous scenery, no scares, and I really didn't like the costumes. Sorry guys, but the melted looking ghost face masks, really took so much away from the scareactors. I could see you in plain sight, even when hiding. I just really didn't get scared. I went through this house 3 times and got resets and missed scares each time. I was so disappointed. It was really my most anticipated house and got bumped down to my least favorite. Sorry to the cast, I know you guys work your ass off.

Edited by King_K.

Scarezones, it's hard to give you a review but you're all amazing. A few notes I can give is that 20 Years of Fear, Zombie Gras, Fear Revealed, and Saws and Steam all got me scared at one point or another. Esqueleto and Coven were just stare and glares. Great atmosphere in all the zones though. You guys were great!

Most Anticipated Houses

Actual Rankings

1)

ltwh.png

catacombs.png(1

2)

horrornights.png

hades.png(2

3)

zombiegeddon.png

horrornights.png(3

4)

psychoscareapy.png

zombiegeddon.png(4

5)

hades.png

havoc.png(5

6)

catacombs.png

psychoscareapy.png(6

7)

orfanage.png

orfanage.png(7

8)

havoc.png

ltwh.png(8

And last but not least, here's a few pictures from the weekend. I took about 100+ but only posting a few here.

PhotoCollage.jpg

Edited by King_K.

Really great trip repoort, and I pretty much agree with you on most of the house reviews. I know you spent a lot of time in this trip report, and now I wish I had done the same because yours is much more well written.

I had so much fun with you guys this weekend, and I'm glad we got to do the houses as many times as we did.

Amazing trip report Armando love all the work you put into it.

Catacombs is really the best house have had no bad runs through it, but Zombiegeddon and Hades really give it a run for its money imo.

Oh and btw love the Terra Cruentas rating system.

Edited by Venom

Great review!! I'm really shocked how many people love Catacombs. I'll be going the 9th so i won't miss it. It seems LT is hit or miss. This is my most anticipated house so I hope I get a better experience

The way I see it, Legendary Truth is the best house (or second best, depending on your opinion of Hallow'd Past) if you are judging based on theming.

If you are judging houses based on scares alone, Catacombs is the best house from my experiences, and Legendary Truth is at the bottom.

Wow, I just read this and yeah Awesome review, I can't believe you went trough all the trouble with the pictures and the ratings, really nice, I disagree a little with Legendary truth a little, I have gotten really good scares there, Specially the actor that passes by on the wall, Got me So bad, but great review

It's weird to see such a divergence in what people think of LT. I have had nothing but exceptional scares in LT and it... to me... has to be one of the best. I guess it is a good sign that the opinons are so varied though. It means there really isn't a truly bad house. Becuse if there was... we would all harp on it. great review BTW.

Thanks, Victoria!

BlackMask, JW, yeah, there's been alot of different opinions on LT. I don't know if I didn't like it cause I had made my expectations too high, or anything like that, but I just did not like the house. Don't get me wrong, great facade, great technology, and great potential, but the house was just executed in the wrong way (imo). One example is the long corridor/attic looking room towards the end. Great effects, lighting and atmosphere, but I SEE the scareactors and not just see them like a bit, they're literally a shining beacon because of the horrible glow masks.

Just took away from the house. My opinion of course! :lol:

Finally got around to adding the Scarezone Reviews, sorry for the long wait. All the edited pictures below were taken by me, hope you enjoy reading.

_________________________________________________________________________________

20Years.png

4of55-1.gif

48815653.gif

Amazing scarezone! All the actors here have so much energy. A few shoutouts before hand, Pumpkinheads, Ice Queen, and Mary Shaw, you're great! Amazing atmosphere and such a nostalgic feel. The actors really know how to use there space. They make the wide open space seem very confined and cramped. Truly amazing. Mary Shaw, you're constantly on the move and got me a few times. One of the really few zones that I really got a good scare in.

fearrevealed.png

4of5-1.gif

30854121.gif

Great Zone. Seriously, this is tied with Saws and Steam as my fav. zone. I, like many others thought that this would be the generic photo op zone, but it's so far from it. I got some amazing scares and some great times in this zone. Big shout-outs to Kim (Storyteller), and Eddie from her same cast. Kim, you're great in your part, and I like your look better than the media one. They should really use you for the future ads. And Eddie, wow, you're just amazing dude. Swinging that chainsaw left and right. I've seen him make tall guys run like little girls. Epic. Fear, you're tall. And Jack, I still owe you a fifty and/or my leg for taking the picture with me. Great job all!

zombiegras.png

4of55-1.gif

74618344.gif

Most fun zone ever? Yep. Pretty much the most outlandishly awesome zone, like ever. I mean, how can you NOT love a zone that constantly plays "Feet don't fail me now"? Every single time I walked out of Zombiegeddon I was dancing. The scareactors in the zone are hilarious too. Shout-outs to the trumpet/trombone zombies, and to the flamingo float zombie. These people work their butts off to get scares. I literally had one follow me all the way to JAWS. Kudos guys.

sawsnsteam.png

4of5-1.gif

95905194.gif

Bravo guys. You're really amazing. Bryan, you kickass in the zone. I saw a few other nightmares members working in the area that were really great too, like Giant. You guys are incredibly intimidating, even to a guy my size. You're fast, and you scare the shit out of people. That's the reason that I ranked this zone so high. Amazing atmosphere. I had hoped for a thick fog throughout the park this year, and my wish came true in this zone. There was literally a point that I couldn't see the hand in front of my face. Really great. New Yorkshire stage barker, you're great, fantastic accent too. It really adds to the feel of the zone. I was really impressed by the amount of saws and the gorgeous costumes. Bravo CDT'er's, you've proven that you can kick ass two years in a row when given your own scarezone.

coven.png

2of5-1.gif

99521060.gif

The Coven could've been executed just a bit better. My favorite part of the zone would probably just be the Willow Huts. The bad thing is that I didn't receive one scare in the times I walked through the zone. There was a few times I was scared by the willow hut e-prompt noise, but not really by an actor. I was really looking forward to this zone, but it just didn't deliver like I wanted it too. Sorry guys.

esmu.png

3of5-1.gif

11259034.gif

Gorgeous. That's pretty much the only thing that comes to mind. The reason I gave this zone one more star than Coven, is because I have this really, really, really, retarded friend that went up to a scareactress in a casket wondering if she was real or not and got the crap scared out of him. Truly one of the highlights of my trip. Costumes and lights were gorgeous. (No, I don't think there were too many blue lights this year, kthnx) A nice shoutout to the walking skeleton. I high-fived you every time I passed by, you're great!

Edited by King_K.