Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure

JackLover

It's a massive legal issue. They have to walk a razor-fine line yearly with how the characters are pop-culture characters are used. Even though it's a parody, if the behavior is too close to the real thing lawsuits can be levied. It's a yearly threat, which is why Universal doesn't mess around with it. They don't really want the specifics of what happens on that stage to get too public.

I really do not understand this. Shows like South Park or Family Guy can get away with blatant parodies of pop culture, but a theme park show can't? I never see Knotts or the Hollywood HHN have any trouble with videotaping, so why should this show? That said, I know Disney got pissed one year (the Pirates stuff, right?), but do they really have a legal right to? The laws state you can use copyrighted characters for the purpose of parodying. If Bill & Ted isn't parodying, I don't know what is.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest FL Universal Jax

Then why do they let them record in hollywood?

And if you say they were sneaky with the camera's then screw you.

Without getting to technical, I will say this. Hollywood is governed by California law. Orlando is governed by Florida law.

The parody laws in Florida are much stricter than they are in California. Therefore, Hollywood can get away with alot more. Just because the shows use similar scripts written by the same person, dosent mean that both scripts can be used in public.

Like others have said, it is much harder here in Florida to parody something. Therefore, not allowing people to photograph or videotape Bill and Ted helps Orlando get away with alittle bit more. This is simply an issue that will not go away. Laws will most likely not be changed. Therefore, expect never to be able to videotape or photograph Bill and Ted.

Between you and me, you can thank Disney for this issue!!!

Well, if someone ever manages to get any footage, please message me. I'd be willing to pay for a copy. If I can't say that, please let me know and I'll delete.

And if that never happens, I'd love to see if anyone got pictures with the Doctor during the meet and greet. And, if someone could, could you at least post the gist of what happens in the show?

I've been going to Uni/WDW for years, but I've been hopelessly broke for the last two - at least broke enough that I can't afford to go down any time soon. Maybe closer to Christmas, but that won't help me. When I heard about there being a DW tribute in the show, I was so disappointed I wouldn't get to see it. Doctor Who at universal. Who would have thought it? And I missed it! :(

I really do not understand this. Shows like South Park or Family Guy can get away with blatant parodies of pop culture, but a theme park show can't? I never see Knotts or the Hollywood HHN have any trouble with videotaping, so why should this show? That said, I know Disney got pissed one year (the Pirates stuff, right?), but do they really have a legal right to? The laws state you can use copyrighted characters for the purpose of parodying. If Bill & Ted isn't parodying, I don't know what is.

Orlando has to constantly make revisions to the show in order to appease the franchise owners. Characters have been taken out of the show completely towards the end of runs because of the legal threat other companies make against the company. It's not just Disney that freaks out about it, but other studios and franchises as well. Dr. Evil didn't replace Lex Luther just because it was funny.

Without getting to technical, I will say this. Hollywood is governed by California law. Orlando is governed by Florida law.

The parody laws in Florida are much stricter than they are in California. Therefore, Hollywood can get away with alot more. Just because the shows use similar scripts written by the same person, dosent mean that both scripts can be used in public.

Like others have said, it is much harder here in Florida to parody something. Therefore, not allowing people to photograph or videotape Bill and Ted helps Orlando get away with alittle bit more. This is simply an issue that will not go away. Laws will most likely not be changed. Therefore, expect never to be able to videotape or photograph Bill and Ted.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. And now I will like to say is screw disney. First you take away our express pass machines and now this.

Well, if someone ever manages to get any footage, please message me. I'd be willing to pay for a copy. If I can't say that, please let me know and I'll delete.

And if that never happens, I'd love to see if anyone got pictures with the Doctor during the meet and greet. And, if someone could, could you at least post the gist of what happens in the show?

I've been going to Uni/WDW for years, but I've been hopelessly broke for the last two - at least broke enough that I can't afford to go down any time soon. Maybe closer to Christmas, but that won't help me. When I heard about there being a DW tribute in the show, I was so disappointed I wouldn't get to see it. Doctor Who at universal. Who would have thought it? And I missed it! :(

The Dr. NEVER has come out, its usually solely Bill and Ted. For the exception of the last show of the year they are usually the only ones ever that come out.

I DO have pictures AND VIDEO of the show from like the 3 or fourth row. Its not amazing but its pretty damn good for being secretive up until I get shit on right before the Nick Cage part (about half way point of the show). Then I was asked to put it away. I have a lot of pics too. I don't know the best way to share these safely though.

The Dr. NEVER has come out, its usually solely Bill and Ted. For the exception of the last show of the year they are usually the only ones ever that come out.

I DO have pictures AND VIDEO of the show from like the 3 or fourth row. Its not amazing but its pretty damn good for being secretive up until I get shit on right before the Nick Cage part (about half way point of the show). Then I was asked to put it away. I have a lot of pics too. I don't know the best way to share these safely though.

Are you going to HHN again, if so go to the last showing of B&T and record what you left off and the last show of that night is usually fun. If can't then just send in of what you have. Please

Last nights show was pretty good. Not that the agent getting hurt was funny and I hope his ok but Ted's guitar strap broke. The guitar fell on the ground and you could see Ted having trouble playing the guitar for the last part. There was a little more improve which is always a good thing.

I hope someone can catch some footage!

I'll keep checking back.

And thanks for letting us know about the Doctor. I told my friend about the meet and greet and she specifically asked about his character. I'll make sure to tell her not to waste her time, so thanks for that. :D

well wait a minute i found a video of a paroady show in hall o screams at bush garedens and they let them record there showing copyrighting material and parody. Just give me a good reason why they let them do that?

well wait a minute i found a video of a paroady show in hall o screams at bush garedens and they let them record there showing copyrighting material and parody. Just give me a good reason why they let them do that?

That looks pretty cool actually, looks like a fun show

Howl-O-Scream's Blood Relations is a fun show. However, the names are all changed around. Tiger Woods is Cheetah Shrubs, Lady Gaga is Lady Yo-Yo, Hanna Montana is Savannah Montana, and there were a few others that I couldn't quite remember. While it was a fun show, it wasn't quite as good as Bill and Teds sadly, even though Michael Roddy wrote it.

Um, fair use exceptions are carved out by federal law...not state. Certain things may be modified by state influence...but they are all superseded by federal mandate. It is not an issue of California vs. Florida law.

It is a 10 minute drive from Disney's Orlando based legal teams office to Universal...and tickets are available to anyone, keeping video off the net doesn't keep Disney's lawyers "at bay". If anything, that legal team seems to be pretty chill when it comes to their property, and mostly seem see it as free advertising.

Edited by HHNGuy1

Guest FL Universal Jax

Let's start a list of all of the music used in this years show. If you know a song that was played or want a particular song, let us know.

I really hope that someone was able to get the last show on video, or at least parts of it. I sadly had to miss it since a few things got in the way.

If anyone has it let me know, I would greatly appreciate it!

Edited by Luke125

They filled the stadium this year, but last year was MAYBE 3/4ths of the way full. Wow.

I gave this show 3 chances and still never convinced me that it was worth my time to see the last show opposed to spending time with my friends in the streets. If anyone recorded it, I'd love to check it out though.