HHN 27 Event Photos & Video

Mark M.

So,

I haven't been to UO in a couple of years up until I went to Citywalk to catch a movie and some drinks a week ago. Holy hell, going through security is like a TSA checkpoint now. Do we know what their stance is on DSLRs for the event? I want to bring my D7k and 50mm f/1.4 tonight and tomorrow, but I'm hesitant to be turned away. I remember past years some people would be turned away at the UO security checkpoint at the gates because "no professional photography allowed" while others had no issues. Anybody got any info?

I haven't encountered any issues with a DSLR.  I know some have issues with tripods, and some don't.

I did have an issue with my video camera (just carrying it in) because I had an external mic attached to it.  They said it looked professional and asked what it was for (pro, or personal).  They said just leave it unattached till I had to use it so no one would question me in the park.  

• Thanks 1

Good to hear.

To all of the photographers, videographers, and creative types I hope you have a great night! I'll probably forgo the camera tonight so I can do houses and shows but might bring it out tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing about this years best spots to hang out. See you all out there.

• Like 1

I like to travel light and just take one lens with me, usually my 50 f/1.2 and an external flash attached.  Everything carried on my shoulder.  But I have some more hardcore hobbyists who always bring their camera bags and multiple lenses.  They never have experienced any issues with security.

Shit.  Take my above comment with a grain of salt.  Just got word from one that already went through security for tonight and was given problems.  Don't know the specifics yet, what the problems were related to.  My guess is the camera bag.  I'm keeping with my normal plan of just camera on my shoulder until I see what's what.

11 minutes ago, Pandry said:

Shit.  Take my above comment with a grain of salt.  Just got word from one that already went through security for tonight and was given problems.  Don't know the specifics yet, what the problems were related to.  My guess is the camera bag.  I'm keeping with my normal plan of just camera on my shoulder until I see what's what.

Interesting. Keep us updated. I didn't bring my DSLR tonight but I'd like to tomorrow. If they're harassing people now I may just wait a week to try my luck.

4 minutes ago, Grime said:

Interesting. Keep us updated. I didn't bring my DSLR tonight but I'd like to tomorrow. If they're harassing people now I may just wait a week to try my luck.

Will do.  First person was let through in the end.  But he had his camera, 4 lenses and two flashes!  That's what I meant about hardcore hobbyists.  I have another getting ready to go through with his bag but 3 lenses and 1 flash.  I'll keep updates coming.  I know they'll have no issue with carrying in a DSLR with a lens.  They must see the camera bags and be like - are you some production crew?

2 hours ago, Pandry said:

Will do.  First person was let through in the end.  But he had his camera, 4 lenses and two flashes!  That's what I meant about hardcore hobbyists.  I have another getting ready to go through with his bag but 3 lenses and 1 flash.  I'll keep updates coming.  I know they'll have no issue with carrying in a DSLR with a lens.  They must see the camera bags and be like - are you some production crew?

That's crazy...I've gone through with a bag full of lenses.  No hot shoe flashes as I don't like the results, but never had a problem.  Was asked once if it's a video camera (what camera DOESN'T have video!?!?!) and played super dumb and said no, it's a camera not a camcorder or something stupid like that which made them happy (old security right in front of the gates).   I've heard of people having issues with Monopods with the security thinking they were super beefy selfie sticks which are prohibited.  

To be honest, it's part of the reason I make sure to do the stay and scream so the secondary security doesn't give me any !@#$.  I have a sling bag that will hold my camera and 3 lenses and a 4th with an external pouch and have never had a problem.  I have a full backpack that holds a bazillion things plus the kitchen sink and a tripod that I wouldn't bring to the event due to the fear of this issue.

Just tell them the dumbed down half-truth as they really don't care.  "This is my wideangle lens for when I want to take pictures of the buildings and rides, then this is for taking pictures of scareactors, then this is my semi zoom kit lens, then this is my zoom lens to take pics during Academy of Villians...." they'll get bored by your nerd answers and tell you to move on.  Is that professional gear?  "No, I wish it was!  Then I wouldn't need these 2 flashes...I only need them because it's an entry level camera and can't take pictures in low light." 

I have  a big SLR+Zoom Gorilla Pod I plan on bringing this year with hope of wrapping it on some lighting scaffolding and recording the AoV show and hope they don't give any problem with that as I stick it to the side of my small sling bag and it's in clear view.  I plan on printing out the Uni site that says tripods and monopods are allowed (if that page is still up, I found it last year) just in case.  

Mods might want to start another forum for "Even Photography Discussion" or something so people don't think all these replies are new pics from the event :)  

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 2

I went through with my backpack (DSLR, Video Camera, GOPro, and accessories.  Once the bag went through the scan, she said to the exit security that there was a camera inside.  They made me take it out (I only took my DSLR out) and show them.  I just got an "Ok, your good".

• Like 1

I had my camera bag with 3 lenses, a flash and a Gorillapod.  It went through the X-ray machine and they never said a word. Zero issues.  I'd go as far to say that security was the most efficient part of my evening.  Maybe it's hit or miss?  Maybe the bag type may factor in depending on how well insulated it is and what they can see on the scan?

Based on a few others I know that brought their gear, too, just the one I mentioned above was questioned.  So it appears they have no issue bringing camera and gear in. Seems like it depends on either how it's packed or the security staff you happen to get.  It may be hit or miss all season.

• Like 1

I am relatively new to DSLR photography and I really struggled with my Canon 70D camera settings last year with varying lighting conditions, smoke and subject movement. Obviously a tripod and flash are not options and the settings I had prepared just didnt do the job.

I get another stab at it this year with four nights at HHN and would appreciate any advice on a good starting point for settings once the sun has gone down and all those lights are flashing

1 hour ago, Gazpacho said:

I am relatively new to DSLR photography and I really struggled with my Canon 70D camera settings last year with varying lighting conditions, smoke and subject movement. Obviously a tripod and flash are not options and the settings I had prepared just didnt do the job.

I get another stab at it this year with four nights at HHN and would appreciate any advice on a good starting point for settings once the sun has gone down and all those lights are flashing

I'm relatively new to photography too and never took a class or anything.  If you're shooting with fast glass, put it on Av or A (Aperture mode) and set your f stop the (ummmm, I always get confused with saying larger and smaller) lowest number you can.  Like if you have an f/1.8 - f/12 lens, go with f/1.8.  Shoot on RAW+JPEG mode.  You can be like me and take pictures that look horrible and washed out and then easily correct it in RAW format :)  If you are using a zoom lens...don't use the zoom.  Shoot at the widest setting you can and use your feet to get you closer or further from the subject.  When you zoom in, the camera usually allows in less light often forcing a change in your settings. 

Shooting on Aperture priority mode means that your camera will pick the best shutter speed for the light conditions based on you choosing the aperture.  This will let you get the most crisp photos with as little blur as possible without you having to continually play with the shutter speed to compensate for fog and other movements.  It has an effect on Depth of Field...but I'm not smart enough to know how to explain it.

Another option is to get something like a gorillapod that is small and light and use it to mount your camera on top of a garbage can / smoke machine / whatever and take a long exposure where people walking around will just be a blur/light trail and you'll get a good shot of the zone with dynamic lighting.  You can get the DSLR+Zoom one for like $50 on Amazon and it comes with a rotating ball head.  You can use it to mount your camera to any railing as well...however...they aren't PERFECT and if you don't mount it properly and are using a heavy lens, it could fall.   https://www.amazon.com/GorillaPod-Flexible-Ballhead-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B002FGTWOC/

The best bet is to get a 50mm or 35mm (this would be my personal choice as I got a 50mm and feel like it's zoomed in a bit too much for me...and 35mm is approximately what the human eye sees) prime lens.  That means you can't zoom at all and you can get a f/1.8 for like $200 and a f/1.4 for a bit more.  I have a Nikon so not sure about Canon prices.  The lack of motors and mirrors for zoom and stuff make the lenses a better quality for the most part.  You sacrifice flexibility, but get cleaner shots as the lens is so much simpler.

Adjusting your ISO to 1600, 3200 or even 6400 can help a great deal as well, but the higher you set it to more digital noise you get...it's a fine line you have to figure out based on your camera and your tolerance for the artifacts that it adds...but for night photography it can make a HUGE difference.

That's an idiot's guide to taking pictures at the event....an idiot's guide because it was written by an idiot :)

Some not quite so idiotic advice:
https://photographylife.com/low-light-digital-photography-tips
https://expertphotography.com/capture-great-photos-low-light/

• Like 1

Wicked, can you post aperture/shutter/iso settings for those above? Curious as to what you're shooting. I think I'm going to bring my 50 1.4 on Thursday and my 35 1.8 on Sunday. Considering renting a 14-24 2.8 on one of the later weekends but we'll see.

Oyster lays out an excellent description! 

Think of the aperture as the size of the hole in your camera light is allowed to enter when your shutter opens.  The larger the whole, the faster you can keep your shutter speed as that much more light will enter when the shutter is open.  That's why it's confusing with f-stop numbers.  f/1.4 is considered a "large" aperture value because it's letting in so much more light versus, say, f/20.  That being said, the only item I might add is that instead of aperture priority mode, use shutter priority (TV).  This way you can dial in your lowest numerical aperture value (wide open) and then while in TV mode just thumb your exposure wheel with ease, between shots,  to determine if you need a slower shutter speed to let in more light, or a faster one if you have enough light and want to capture better movement.  Check your images after each shot to see if your exposing correctly.  Also check the environment before you shoot.  Position yourself in a spot that has some good light.  If you see a spot with good light that scareactors constantly cross through, setup right by there and use the good natural lighting (assuming you don't have a decent external flash).

I haven't done photography for that long either, but I mainly shoot stills.  You can see some of my photos on Instagram at @Pandry65.  Not a self-promo as I don't sell images, just hobby stuff. It's just more to show that  HHN is its own creature.  I had my camera with me on Friday night when we went.  I haven't taken pictures with the purpose of having people in them since HHN 26 and I absolutely shit a brick on Friday with my photos.  I might as well have been using a camera for the first time.  Last year was my first real tryout with a DSLR during HHN and I did okay.  But this year I feel like I have to relearn what the hell I was doing.  HHN is very unique photography, for anyone, with all the moving subjects and various lighting you get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grime said:

Wicked, can you post aperture/shutter/iso settings for those above? Curious as to what you're shooting. I think I'm going to bring my 50 1.4 on Thursday and my 35 1.8 on Sunday. Considering renting a 14-24 2.8 on one of the later weekends but we'll see.

The clowns in the evening were shot at f/2.8, 1/320, and between 250-320 ISO. Shot using a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The clown at night was f/1.8, 1/160, 1600 ISO. Lady Liberty was f/1.8, 1/125, 1600 ISO. Those were both shot using an 85mm f/1.8 lens.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, WickedsMourner said:

The clowns in the evening were shot at f/2.8, 1/320, and between 250-320 ISO. Shot using a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. The clown at night was f/1.8, 1/160, 1600 ISO. Lady Liberty was f/1.8, 1/125, 1600 ISO. Those were both shot using an 85mm f/1.8 lens.

Many thanks :) Very clean shots. I can't get over how crisp the f/2.8 lenses are. I've rented the Nikkor 70-200 and 24-70 several times but just can't commit to buying them yet. For now I'll stick with my primes. An 85 would be great but on a crop sensor my 50 is plenty.

Looking forward to more of your work

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 7:58 PM, Oysterhead00 said:

I'm relatively new to photography too and never took a class or anything.  If you're shooting with fast glass, put it on Av or A (Aperture mode) and set your f stop the (ummmm, I always get confused with saying larger and smaller) lowest number you can.  Like if you have an f/1.8 - f/12 lens, go with f/1.8.  Shoot on RAW+JPEG mode.  You can be like me and take pictures that look horrible and washed out and then easily correct it in RAW format :)  If you are using a zoom lens...don't use the zoom.  Shoot at the widest setting you can and use your feet to get you closer or further from the subject.  When you zoom in, the camera usually allows in less light often forcing a change in your settings. 

Shooting on Aperture priority mode means that your camera will pick the best shutter speed for the light conditions based on you choosing the aperture.  This will let you get the most crisp photos with as little blur as possible without you having to continually play with the shutter speed to compensate for fog and other movements.  It has an effect on Depth of Field...but I'm not smart enough to know how to explain it.

Another option is to get something like a gorillapod that is small and light and use it to mount your camera on top of a garbage can / smoke machine / whatever and take a long exposure where people walking around will just be a blur/light trail and you'll get a good shot of the zone with dynamic lighting.  You can get the DSLR+Zoom one for like $50 on Amazon and it comes with a rotating ball head.  You can use it to mount your camera to any railing as well...however...they aren't PERFECT and if you don't mount it properly and are using a heavy lens, it could fall.   https://www.amazon.com/GorillaPod-Flexible-Ballhead-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B002FGTWOC/

The best bet is to get a 50mm or 35mm (this would be my personal choice as I got a 50mm and feel like it's zoomed in a bit too much for me...and 35mm is approximately what the human eye sees) prime lens.  That means you can't zoom at all and you can get a f/1.8 for like $200 and a f/1.4 for a bit more.  I have a Nikon so not sure about Canon prices.  The lack of motors and mirrors for zoom and stuff make the lenses a better quality for the most part.  You sacrifice flexibility, but get cleaner shots as the lens is so much simpler.

Adjusting your ISO to 1600, 3200 or even 6400 can help a great deal as well, but the higher you set it to more digital noise you get...it's a fine line you have to figure out based on your camera and your tolerance for the artifacts that it adds...but for night photography it can make a HUGE difference.

That's an idiot's guide to taking pictures at the event....an idiot's guide because it was written by an idiot :)

Some not quite so idiotic advice:
https://photographylife.com/low-light-digital-photography-tips
https://expertphotography.com/capture-great-photos-low-light/

Thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed response. I already have the gorillapod, so thats a start ! I will certainly tale along those settings when I come over from the UK and with four nights at the event with express and an RIP tour, I should have some spare time take things slow and photograph those scare zones

Incredible shots Pandry. I really need to work on my settings and play in LR more. I haven't picked up the DSLR in almost a year, so I'm certainly a little rusty. I've been shooting most of the time at 1/125, 1600 ISO, f/1.4-f/2.8 but I can't seem to get the lighting right. I really, really hate how much they flood red across the Hollywood zone which makes it very difficult for me to balance it out.

I'm surprised at how crisp some of those shots are at 1/80, and how much light you got at f/2.8 with 400 ISO. Will make adjustments this week and report back :)

• Like 1