Most Anticipated Scarezone (HHN 26)

King_K.

HHN 26 Scarezones  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What's your most anticipated this year?

• A Chance In Hell
    • Banshee's Lair
    • Vamp 1955
    • Survive or Die
    • Dead Man's Wharf

On 8/11/2016 at 2:45 PM, Pandry said:

1. Wharf (Sounds bad ass along with feeling like a lot of love and attention will be given to it)

2. Survive or Die (Saws N Steam immediately comes to mind except instead of harvesting water it's now air.  Too bad no Sting Alley)

3. Banshee (Always like the Central Park zone's atmosphere.  Though not too thrilled with the stage show being so close 2 years in a row)

4. Chance (Though my infatuation with Chance runs deep, not sure what to make of this one yet)

5. Vamp '55 (Not into the campy stuff.  Not sure why, but I just get a similar image of All Nite Die-In when thinking of this zone.  But with vampires from Grease)

Did you feel that Evil's Roots was affected much by the show last year? I thought that they did a great job with the close proximity.

1 hour ago, F.U.B.A.R. said:

Did you feel that Evil's Roots was affected much by the show last year? I thought that they did a great job with the close proximity.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll respond anyways...

I thought that having the stage that close really messed with the aesthetic of the whole area over there. Between the obscene amount of people crammed into that small area (especially at the beginning and ending of the show) and the need to put up railings near the entrance where the stage was, it just seemed like a mess to me. What the heck was the point of those railings anyways other than to get in the way?  Honestly, I avoided that scare zone most of the time last year because of how crowded it was. If their goal was to jam as many people possible into an area so filled with smoke that you can't see the person in front of you, they succeeded. Other than the smoke, I don't even remember what was supposed to be in that zone. 

I may be in the minority, but I could care less about a 2nd show. Just watching Bill & Ted is fine with me. I'd much rather have them turn the area where the stage is into an add on to the scare zone where Evil's Roots was. If possible, even take it a step further and bring the scare zone all the way down to the water. The area where the park benches are is always deserted. Why not fill it with something? 

• Like 1

1. A Chance In Hell ( I love the character of Chance and am really excited to see her get her own scare zone)

2. Lair of the Banshees (sounds really cool and scare zones there are always great too)

3. Dead Man's Wharf (sounds spooky. Great location. Love the ship they just put up on the scare zone)

4. Vamp '55 (sounds fun and vampires can be cool) 

5. Survive or Die (could be good, but the concept does sound boring to me. It does get points for doing the projection from Acid Assault)

1. Vamp 1955 - Love the 1950's

2. Dead Man's Wharf - Hoping this is like Frightanic.

3. Lair of the Banshees - Always like forest sacrezones. 

4. Survive or Die - Sounds interesting. 

5. A Chance In Hell - Chance is way too hyped. 

On 8/18/2016 at 11:59 AM, ThNdIzNiR said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll respond anyways...

I thought that having the stage that close really messed with the aesthetic of the whole area over there. Between the obscene amount of people crammed into that small area (especially at the beginning and ending of the show) and the need to put up railings near the entrance where the stage was, it just seemed like a mess to me. What the heck was the point of those railings anyways other than to get in the way?  Honestly, I avoided that scare zone most of the time last year because of how crowded it was. If their goal was to jam as many people possible into an area so filled with smoke that you can't see the person in front of you, they succeeded. Other than the smoke, I don't even remember what was supposed to be in that zone. 

I may be in the minority, but I could care less about a 2nd show. Just watching Bill & Ted is fine with me. I'd much rather have them turn the area where the stage is into an add on to the scare zone where Evil's Roots was. If possible, even take it a step further and bring the scare zone all the way down to the water. The area where the park benches are is always deserted. Why not fill it with something?

I completely get what you mean about the level of crowds as it did get very tight in there. I don't feel that this second show will draw any where near the crowd levels as the Carnage Returns show so I hope that will help Banshee. I do think that the light levels were handled reasonably well though. In terms of the thick fog, I actually like it from time to time and if used effectively it can freak people out and be great cover from the actors.

I'm trying to come up with a list of things to watch/read to prep for original content. Please give me ideas if anyone comes up with anything. I'm definetly not getting to all of these.

Survive or Die- Mad Max franchise, Waterworld(it was kind of fun), Playing Fallout 3-4, I'm required to read The Road in English class so that timed well.

Vamp 1955- Grease, American Graffiti, Lost boys

Banshees Lair- Finn Bálor promos?

Chance in Hell- Carnival of Carnage, Carnage Returns

Dead Mans Warf- The Fog

Vamp 1955 sounds like my pick. I do like the campy/cheesy things that HHN does every so often. Plus vampire greasers, that alone has me sold. 

Survive or Die sounds like a generic post-apocalypse scare zone, but it could surprise me. The storyline is at least somewhat unique

Wharf could go either way for me. Really depends on the execution.

Banshee's another promising one, at least atmospheric.

No Chance will likely be the photo-op zone, nothing too special. 

xlx98z.jpg

This popped a loooong while back stating it was involved in HHN. While the source is a bit... dubious, we do have a weird fisherman's SZ and I heard "Lovecraftian" a long time ago as well. I would be 100% on board for an Innsmouth SZ. The boat is named Annabel Lee as well. While that may just be a nod to Poe, the poem also ties to the sea. It could be an excuse to recycle the forsaken masks.

Either way, Sounds like a good time.

One thing I'm a little shocked on is "survive or Die" sounds like the spiritual successor to "Saws N Steam". Yet it's getting glossed over. I know it was a retooling of The Purge area but the whole air aspect has me intrigued. This could give us some unique characters and story elements. Along with some really cool masks. Now we just need the image mapping back.

Now that props have been added and we have a better idea of the scarezones I needed to adjust my list.

1. Dead Man's Wharf

2. Vamp 1955 (Still LOVE the concept despite the lack of scenic) 

3. Survive or Die (I still don't like the concept and I hate the name BUT the possible retun of the projection mapping gives it a push up the list)

4. Lair of the Banshees

5. Chance in Hell

Vamp 1955 sounds like it could be good, and just so long as Dead Man's Wharf isn't a zombie SZ, that will be great. However, the others all feel like they will be pretty lackluster, ESPECIALLY the Banshees one. Maybe it's just because I already have a negative opinion on how they're handled, as I see them turning more and more into photo-ops and less about being scary zones for scaring scaredy-cats, but I just feel so underwhelmed by the SZs this year overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 10:34 AM, F.U.B.A.R. said:

Evil's Roots was most certainly effected by having a show there.

I was in the zone and when the show let out we were told to stay at the sides as the crowds made it impossible to work the whole street. I don't, however, feel that the actual stage or the audio was too distracting to the zone as I could always hear the audio that was playing throughout the zone.