HHN XX Speculation

Mark M.

Talking about the scarezone from last year , other than the main icons of HHN there were I think two non iconic characters. One of them was a pumpkin head type creature and I cant really remember the other one, but they might have something to do with the non icon houses this year. Just a thought. ;)

Edited by ChildOfHorror

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I think there was a lot in Shadows of the Past that people missed or took too literally. It could have meant a plethora of things.

I agree. It seems to me like people are getting the idea that just because the scarezone was a glimpse into this year, they assume the entire year is going to be based around that one scarezone. It was a teaser people. I have the feeling we're going to have more on our hands than just a reunion.

Edited by Audio

What HHNAmber said is probably true. Now speaking of the Greek myth type of house, over this past year I did a project on Greek myth so I know some about them, one that comes to mind when talking about a haunted house would be the myth of Procrustes who would bring in travelers to stay and sleep in his house. He told them the bed had a unique talent that it would be the perfect size for the traveler, once the traveler had laid on the bed he would either cut their legs off if they were too tall or, he would stretch them by their hands and feet if they were to short.

Talking about the scarezone from last year , other than the main icons of HHN there were I think two non iconic characters. One of them was a pumpkin head type creature and I cant really remember the other one, but they might have something to do with the non icon houses this year. Just a thought. ;)

There was a Body Collector, we found out in 2008 that the Body Collectors were active in Victorian London, what if they were active in Ancient times?

Or, what if the roots of our icons run truly very very deep, and they are somehow twisted incarnations of ancient gods and figures of myth? A dark pantheon, so to speak?

If so Jack could = Dionysus the trickster god, and Eddie = Ares god of war.

The Caretaker and Cindy could be a modern version of the myth of Hades and Persephone.

The Director could be a dark Apollo and the Usher an evil Hermes.

The Storyteller might be a twisted version of Athena goddess of wisdom, or even one of the three fates.

And the there's Bloody Mary who is "safe" when she is only seen in a mirror but becomes deadly when she emerges from it. Medusa?

Forgive me, I'm new. I don't know how to quote...haha. But, I agree. I remember reading somewhere during HHN last year during the last week to look closer for more clues. It always made me think that what was on the surface wasn't necessarily to be taken at face value & perhaps was a metaphor of some sort that we'll be clueless to until HHNXX. Or perhaps I'm wrong. I just don't think that UO would flat out give us all the info for next year with a scarezone at the end of the run. There has to be some twist to it that perhaps we aren't seeing.

Absolutely, and I think most of us have been expecting a return of those characters in a, dare I say, rather Iconic reunion year.

Of course, the past Icons for whom myths and legends are most closely related and might play a part in their house or houses are two who did not appear at Shadows of the Past, namely the Storyteller and Bloody Mary. But if they do, then I could see myths as part of their whole "stories and legends" domain.

In fact Greek myths could even be incorporated into a new Scary Tales scenario, although that might be stretching it.

I think the whole Greek thing is a stretch. Every year since the permits have been discovered they've given codes to throw us off. Yes most of the codes are somewhat related to the house that took place in that venue. But this year (of all years) is so black and white. We have 8 icons... so there for we will have 8 houses. I'm not trying to be a kill joy but it's something we go through every year.

There was a Body Collector, we found out in 2008 that the Body Collectors were active in Victorian London, what if they were active in Ancient times?

Or, what if the roots of our icons run truly very very deep, and they are somehow twisted incarnations of ancient gods and figures of myth? A dark pantheon, so to speak?

The Caretaker and Cindy could be a modern version of the myth of Hades and Persephone.

The Storyteller might be a twisted version of Athena goddess of wisdom, or even one of the three fates.

And the there's Bloody Mary who is "safe" when she is only seen in a mirror but becomes deadly when she emerges from it. Medusa?

This is a really cool idea! Each icon representing an even more twisted version of their corresponding God/Goddess. However, we are probably looking too far into the names for the house permits, but who cares.. it's speculation!

I think the whole Greek thing is a stretch. Every year since the permits have been discovered they've given codes to throw us off. Yes most of the codes are somewhat related to the house that took place in that venue. But this year (of all years) is so black and white. We have 8 icons... so there for we will have 8 houses. I'm not trying to be a kill joy but it's something we go through every year.

Well actually, it was in 2008 that we, or rather I should say, Chad first got the actual house names from the permits and posted them online.

The only time we ever got code-names for the houses was last year.

This year the permits do not even seem to have any code-names, and if there are any they were blocked by Potter's Law.

What Chad has now uncovered are not house names nor code names for houses, bur specific descriptions of specific rooms or scenes in some of the houses. These include some generic terms like "facade" but also some tantalizing descriptions indeed. As Jeramy posted above these are not likely to be encoded because they never thought we would ever see them, they are rather far more likely to be exactly what they appear to be.

Which leads me to this: Greek Mythology aside, what sort of house would contain a Museum Hallway? A Museum of Horror was often a house in early years of HHN. What house would contain both a Vortex and the Rat Lady? Dungeon of Terror perhaps? And most puzzlingly what sort of house would have an observation deck? The old Frightanic house from 1998?

The more I ponder these the more I realize how closely this information fits in with what that strange trollish Dr. Raymond Holmes Inc. posted a while ago. Maybe that wasn't "you know who" as we all thought then after all!

Out of that "list" of permit names and scenes, i'm most excited about reading that scene name "Observation Deck."

This could be either a skyscraper or boat reference. I'm not sure how many of you went through Frightanic back in the day, but that dual house was spectacular! Fear in First Class and Carnage Crew were both amazing mazes that packed quite a punch. With all this talk of shadows from the past, Uni hasn't done a dual route house in quite a bit. ;)

What Chad has now uncovered are not house names nor code names for houses, bur specific descriptions of specific rooms or scenes in some of the houses. These include some generic terms like "facade" but also some tantalizing descriptions indeed. As Jeramy posted above these are not likely to be encoded because they never thought we would ever see them, they are rather far more likely to be exactly what they appear to be.

Which leads me to this: Greek Mythology aside, what sort of house would contain a Museum Hallway? A Museum of Horror was often a house in early years of HHN. What house would contain both a Vortex and the Rat Lady? Dungeon of Terror perhaps? And most puzzlingly what sort of house would have an observation deck? The old Frightanic house from 1998?

The more I ponder these the more I realize how closely this information fits in with what that strange trollish Dr. Raymond Holmes Inc. posted a while ago. Maybe that wasn't "you know who" as we all thought then after all!

Yes I'm aware the codes aren't for the houses specifically but there still codes non the less. But yeah I'm done this isn't going anywhere. Plus you mentioned Dr. Raymond Holmes Inc. so I'm really out now.

Edited by NightlifeMike

Well actually, it was in 2008 that we, or rather I should say, Chad first got the actual house names from the permits and posted them online.

The only time we ever got code-names for the houses was last year.

This year the permits do not even seem to have any code-names, and if there are any they were blocked by Potter's Law.

I think I saw your video about this list. This all happened while I was away from the vault. Boo. But I will agree, as soon as I saw these scene names pop up today & read the Medusa/Gordon part the first thing that popped into my mind was this list & the part about Hades. That seems to make sense. So maybe there was indeed a bit of fact to that list. With that said, like I mentioned earlier last year was only my second year so for me to think that UO might bring back some houses or house ideas that people on this forum seem to agree were some of the best, makes me excited. Gives me hope that I might be able to see a new generation or re-vamp of past favorites. I took wish I had a DeLorean so I could visit the HHN past. ANY house with ghosts is bound to scare the crap out of me as ghosts are a big fear of mine. (Not so much the friendly ones, but more like the scary demonic types.)

/end ramble

I love that we have ideas flowing now.

I would say that they were codes. If they were House names but they are room names and ultra specific:

Medusa/Gorgon room... Army of Hades... I would think, If they were going to use codes they would say something like "Frozen expression" or "firey militia" something like that...

If "Army of Hades" was a code name. The Only thing I can refer to is God OF War (We know that isn't happening), A heavy metal band, and the 108 specter army of Hades. Tie that into the Medusa room name and I just don't see it meaning anything else. I could be wrong though. My wife disagrees with me though so... I guess it is how you look at it. :rolleyes:

I don't think Greek myths is much of a stretch for a scary tales... and who says it has to be all Greek? Why not the Chupacabbra, windigo, any of the hundreds of norse goblins, trolls, sea serpents ON TOP of the thousands of Greek and Roman mythical creatures?

Scary Tales 4: Frightening folklore... or something like that.

I'm interested in the "Observation deck" I'm so hoping it is the S.S. Frightanic.

Yes I'm aware the codes aren't for the houses specifically but there still codes non the less. But yeah I'm done this isn't going anywhere. Plus you mentioned Dr. Raymond Holmes Inc. so I'm really out now.

I can quite understand why the mere mention of that dubious fellow would cause you to bail. Especially after the real Charles told us exactly who he was certain was using his name in vain.

But, I am troubled by a couple of things. First, back at that time every rumor flying about said "10 houses" except for that one weird post which said 8 houses. Then TJ confirmed 8 houses after all.

And now Hades? That "Hades" would pop up twice like this with no connection at all would seem to be a coincidence beyond probability. Furthermore "Observation Deck" also fits in tightly with one of that person's clues, but not with any other person's!

So I have to wonder, just who was that guy anyway? Was he the person Charles said, or somebody worse?

But, I am troubled by a couple of things. First, back at that time every rumor flying about said "10 houses" except for that one weird post which said 8 houses. Then TJ confirmed 8 houses after all.

One of my roommates works overnights at UO/IOA & came home the other day & told me that they have started construction for HHN in parts of UO. This, turned out to be true. However, my roommate also told me there was going to be 10 houses. I somewhat believed him only because he isn't big into HHN and doesn't go searching for rumors & news. On the other hand, I don't because well, it's been confirmed & he mainly works in IOA & is rarely in UO to see/hear anything first hand. Though I will be asking him to keep an eye out from now on! Even if his "news" is false, any news right now is good to me. I'm a speculator at heart.

I wanted to post this a while ago, but didn't because it didn't make sense. I think it might now, so here goes. On May 14, 2010, I saw a quote from JMR on the hhnrumors website and it said "you reap what you sow." At the time I did a google search for that phrase with the word halloween. One of the results was a production company called Bedlam Theater and Barebones Productions that put on a play at a halloween event. The play was called Fleece (or Fleeced) and it said something about being based on the myth of Jason and the Argonauts. So now I'm thinking those quotes make more sense. Especially "everything was planned from the beginning." I think this beginning ties into the mythology.

I wanted to post this a while ago, but didn't because it didn't make sense. I think it might now, so here goes. On May 14, 2010, I saw a quote from JMR on the hhnrumors website and it said "you reap what you sow." At the time I did a google search for that phrase with the word halloween. One of the results was a production company called Bedlam Theater and Barebones Productions that put on a play at a halloween event. The play was called Fleece (or Fleeced) and it said something about being based on the myth of Jason and the Argonauts. So now I'm thinking those quotes make more sense. Especially "everything was planned from the beginning." I think this beginning ties into the mythology.

:blink: Damn good information.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE where your coming from Jimmy! :D I wasn't too hip on the possible Greek mythology link till I read this breakdown. And like you stated since all of these gods/goddesses are public domain, Universal can use them without breaking the bank.

You know this happens every year Mike...why fight it? That's kind of the whole point of a speculation thread...to speculate ;)

Out of that "list" of permit names and scenes, i'm most excited about reading that scene name "Observation Deck."

This could be either a skyscraper or boat reference. I'm not sure how many of you went through Frightanic back in the day, but that dual house was spectacular! Fear in First Class and Carnage Crew were both amazing mazes that packed quite a punch. With all this talk of shadows from the past, Uni hasn't done a dual route house in quite a bit. ;)

I'm hoping perhaps we're looking at a trip back to the S.S. Frightanic, another old school house that I would absolutely love to see make a return for this landmark 20th year! :)

It makes sense that they would try to incorporate mythology into this years event. Especially with the release of "Clash of the Titans" not to mention the two hot game releases this year being "God of War 3" and "Dantes Inferno". It also lends itself quite well to the event with it's menacing and vengeful gods. Another clever way to bring something new to the devoted fans and a way to get others to come face to face with characters they recognize from the movie or game. Not saying they would have a "God of War 3" house, just saying it will appeal to fans of the series.

Edited by jadaada

It makes sense that they would try to incorporate greek mythology into this years event. Especially with the release of "Clash of the Titans" not to mention the two hot game releases this year being "God of War 3" and "Dantes Inferno".

Dante's Inferno is Christian myth son.

fake edit: Also Dante's Inferno was a hot game?

Dante's Inferno is Christian myth son.

fake edit: Also Dante's Inferno was a hot game?

I realize this but it still dealt with Hell and epic figures in Christian mythology. And yes as I recall it was a hyped game people were just saying they ripped off God of War.

Hey yall 1st post hope i get answers on this site lol any ways heres my 2 cents all 8 icons get paired up

JACK & EDDIE

THE CARETAKER & CINDY

STROYTELLER & BLOODY MARRY

THE DIRECTOR & THE USHER

which gives us 4 "Iconic houses" for the gp and 4 original or re-amped past houses for us diehard fans plus SZ = one heck of an event

p.s anybody knows about the deal uni has with bush entertainment its on uni's copyright page

Edited by HHNChef

There is plenty of room for speculation. The scarezone only featured 3 official icons; the rest were either a canceled icon or supporting characters. If we take Shadows of the Past at face value there will be no Eddie, no Director, no Elsa or Bloody Mary. That puts over half of HHN history out of the running. There are other clues, too, that throw a different kind of shadow. The Rat Lady, to my knowledge, has never had a house to herself, so I'm pretty comfortable with the list being of scenes not houses. If she has a scene and she is named as herself, then why disguise other room names with 'codes'?

I am burning with curiosity, and I LOVE reading everyone's ideas. This is part of the fun of HHN and having forums to co-conspire with other junkies has made HHN even more fun for me. Let's continue our speculation! Nothing is concrete until the event begins!!!

Mae

With all this talk about Hades, i have a question for those who have been going to

the event for many years, has HHN ever had a house based on mythology before?

The Hallow, 2008, and some might consider the Dracula and Wolf Man stories mythology. The way Dracula was presented last year, especially. It went back to Stoker's novel for many of their ideas.

Mae

Edited by Mae