Shark's EP Night 2014 Review

Arsik_22

Before I get into the maze reviews, I just have to say last night was so much fun that I'm already making plans to return one more night! I came to preview night with my girlfriend, her sister and best friend - all of which were HHN virgins so you can imagine I was having a blast seeing their reactions.

Early Entry Arrival

The first 400 employees to pick up the preview night tickets were given "First Stab" entry, which required us to get there no later than 5:00pm. We were sent to the Transformers Queue at 5. At 5:30, they started doing horror trivia, giving out some AVP/TWD books and figures until 6:20, which is when we started walking over to the Metro Sets. The walk over wasn't as long as I thought, but it's still disappointing TWD scarezone wasn't extended to make the trek over fun.

After the 10-minute walk, we entered the first maze at about 6:30....

AVP: Alien vs. Predator

The crashed ship facade was a sight to behold! The sets, audio, and costumes, were so well done that I was in awe the entire time. Audio played a huge role, making me immediately feel tense while constantly looking around as if an alien was going to lunge out at me at any given moment. I loved the moments when you were literally in the middle of a fight! A few minor complaints I have that I'm fairly certain will get fixed will make this maze flawless. While some of the alien puppets looked good, the way they are attached makes them seem very floaty. They are not coming out at you, instead their arms are just reaching towards you which ruins the believability of the puppets. Also, some of the predators were lacking energy when popping out of their boo holes. They still intimidated me, making me feel puny (Im 6'1,) but I can't wait to see them go all out while scaring. The final scene was grand in scale, with the Alien Queen looking great. The unnecessary amount of lighting revealed the boo hole for the final alien scare, so hopefully they tweak that. Even though some adjustments will no doubt be made, this maze was already extremely eerie, detailed, and overall a very solid experience.

Rating: 9/10

The Walking Dead: End of the Line

I really enjoy watching The Walking Dead, and I loved both the 2012 and 2013 mazes based off of the series so I was looking forward to seeing the new environments in this maze. I expected TWD to rank in my top 3 for 2014, just like prior years. Well... I'm disappointed to say this was one of the weakest mazes, lacking effective scares and interesting set design. With the exception of one burnt walker that practically sprinted across the room to scare us, most scareactors had little to no energy. I know it's their first night, and they'll get better but even then the scares felt uninspired and too predictable. The first few scenes with the prison were the same, with the addition of the infected walkers which is understandable since season 4 begin that way, but then The Big Spot and what follows was disappointing. When I go back at the end of October, we'll see where this maze ranks but at the moment it's #6 on my list, just above Face Off. We've had some really awesome TWD mazes, but after last nights experience I hope this is it's final year.

Rating: 4/10

From Dusk Till Dawn

When this maze was first announced I wasn't very excited because the movie primarily took place in the bar. After watching the series, I was looking forward to seeing The Tit I mean The Twister and temples recreated, especially since the series created new environments and creatures. Most of the environments were well executed, with the bar, sacrificial chamber, and weapon storage room all looking very good. The human grinder unfortunately looked cheesy, which made walking "through it" not feel threatening. Im surprised and pleased to say Santanico Pandemonium looks very similar to the actress in the show, and the evolving Culebra make up looked great. The stripper Culebras didn't make me jump during my walkthrough, but the ancient vampires and large brute creature in the temple made me jump a couple times. Overall I had an enjoyable time going through FDTD, and I think this maze will improve as the scareactors get a feel for their rooms.

Rating: 6.5/10

Skullz

On the way over to AWIL, we walked through Skullz and its obviously our weakest scarezone in terms of theming. The lack of props this year didnt bug me as much because the Wendingo costumes looked cool and the scareactors were really aggressive. This is still our worst scarezone, but I had a fairly good time walking through seeing the stilt walkers do their thing.

Rating: 5/10

An American Werewolf in London

OH. MY. GOD! We were the first group to be let in, and luckily there was no one behind us either! Entering the Slaughtered Lamb and hearing Blue Moon while audio ripped directly from the movie was playing made me very excited. The first werewolf attacking Jack in the moors did not look very believable because I unfortunately caught a glimpse of the handles the actor was holding to control the puppet. For a second, I was worried all of the puppets were going to look like that, but thankfully my worries were put to rest very quickly. I can't get over how amazing this maze was! Every single scareactor was on FIRE when we went through, especially the demon David in the hospital room nightmare scene. On all 3 walkthroughs, he made me jump even though I knew he was there. The scene with the demon soldiers shooting up the room was epic, I couldn't help applaud the actors when walking through. Another simple but great moment was when the demon soldier was stabbing the corpse in the hospital - he synced the stabbing motion perfectly with the audio which gave me goosebumps. I'm also really glad to see John decided to include 2 parts of the transformation, I just hope the mobile actor in the first transformation room begins to use his space more effectively. Okay, so I went on and on about everything besides the werewolves, so I'll cut to the chase - the puppets were terrifying! I ran out of each room containing one of these gigantic creatures, and John just tweeted there are 2 more wolves being installed that weren't ready for preview night so I can't wait to go through this again! I was able to walkthrough this maze 3 times, and I still have the urge to go through it many more times. As a huge fan of the movie, this may be my favorite maze of all time. It may not be the scariest, with Texas Chainsaw Massacre still holding on the that title, but I loved every single second I spent in this house.

Rating: 11/10

Clowns 3D: Music by Slash
This maze had a very weak start, with mirrors on hallways that went on for what felt like forever. Once we finally passed the "Family Fun Center," the maze improves a lot! Numerous props and scenes are repurposed from our last few 3D mazes, and even though it was disappointing to see all of the old gags re-used in here, I still had a blast. The 3D was top notch once again, but this time the scares were frequent. Each room had lots going on at one time, which increased the chances of receiving an effective scare. Sweet Licks, Bubba and Cutty all looked great, with Bubba being my favorite since he was fairly intimidating. Slash's music was good and fit well, but it's not very memorable. Surprise, surprise, this was my 3rd favorite maze of the night!

Rating: 8/10

Terror Tram: Invaded by the Walking Dead

No matter how many zombies are pumped into the Terror Tram, this attraction will not get any better! Yes, The Walking Dead brought back some life into the very stale Terror Tram - IN 2012! 3 years of a zombie outbreak? A maze and scarezone aren't enough? This is nothing more than a lazy move to bring back TWD on the tram in order to save money. Why create new facades, masks, and costumes when you can buy generic clothing from Target and just produce more of the same prosthetics? I really hope this is the last year we see zombies on the tram!

Rating: 3/10

Mask-A-Raid

While this zone looked very well decorated, I couldn't help feel underwhelmed by the costumes and scareactors. This is probably the best looking scarezone on French street, but it would be nice if the actors had the same intensity the Freaks did back in the day.

Rating: 6/10

Dark Christmas

This is one of my favorite scarezones of all time! The music, props, lighting, and creatures were fantastic. This has the potential to be an amazing original maze.

Rating: 10/10

The Purge: Anarchy

Once again, the purge makes a return and I can't help but feel it's not a worthy property for Scarezone 1. I know the property is fairly popular and the opening scaremony works well, but its just not scary! Im glad the costumes were more varied, but I would have much rather preferred them to create an original zone that is memorable like Welcome to Hell or Dark Christmas.

Rating: 6/10

Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood

I wasn't expecting Dracula Untold to be as scary as it was, but wow! Props to all of the scareactors in this maze, they were extremely fast when coming out of their boo-holes. Entering the very claustrophobic cave full of skeletal remains made me question where the vampires would pop out from since there were so many cave "passage ways." The unpredictability continued through the village remains and the witches house. I also must mention the vampire designs are much scarier than FDTD. The ending, although not feeling up to HHN's standards in terms of set design had some of the best scares so far this year. I don't know why those static prop vampire hoard coming towards me always startles me, but I always get slightly overwhelmed. Especially since this maze had them coming from both sides! This ranked #4 during this visit, since I had a really fun time throughout this maze.

7/10

Face Off: In the Flesh

Even though this is basically UMR 3.0, it was cool seeing the Face Off designs inside the HOH. The scare actors need some work in this maze, lots of them seemed to just be standing around and walking forward towards guest without any intensity. Overall, I don't think any of us were expecting Face Off: In the Flesh to be great, but it was still somewhat enjoyable. I'm really bummed out it'll be one of the last times going into the House of Horrors.

Rating: 5/10

Overall Thoughts

For this being a dress rehearsal, I must say I was very impressed! I know tweaks will be made the next few days (possibly first couple of weeks), so I know this year's event has the potential to be even more epic than it already was. When comparing this year's event to 2013, the difference was night and day. I was really worried about HHN's future - not in terms of them staying financially successful because I know that wouldn't change, but some design decisions last year really worried me. Thankfully, this year was miles better! Both An American Werewolf in London and Alien Vs Predator are two of my favorite mazes John Murdy and Chris Williams have created so far. Not only did those two mazes blow my mind, but Clowns 3D, From Dusk Till Dawn, and Dracula Untold were either good or great overall. I don't think I've jumped this much during Horror Nights since 2010!

I had the chance to go through all of the mazes at least twice, and I know most of my gripes will be fixed so I cant wait to see the event 100% finished. The boost in quality for our scarezones was also great to see, and I hope this continues in the future. While the lack of shows can be overlooked because I really enjoyed most of the mazes, I still can't help feel cheated since Orlando has two shows. Yes, people complained about Bill and Teds, but the introduction to the show warns people of what's to come. I hope Universal is smart enough to either bring back the show and realize a small amount of complaints, even if publicized by the press will not affect people's opinion of the company OR create a new show! Why not even try to do a horror related show one year? Even if it isn't well received, it would be better then not trying at all. Who knows, maybe a new original show can become an HHN tradition?

I'll be attending Orlando's event on the 25th, 26th and 28th, so I'm beyond excited to compare the two events! I may even write a comparison review if anyone is interested? Well, there you have it - thanks for reading, I hope you guys enjoyed the review! I'm looking forward to reading all of your impressions and reviews! Edited by Arsik_22
  • Like 5

An American Werewolf in London

OH…MY… GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were the first people to ever go into this maze (well besides the scareactors and press for media preview,) and there was no one behind us either so we were completely alone. I cannot get over how perfect this maze was! Every single scareactor was on FIRE when we went through, and the werewolf puppets were terrifying. I would run out of the room each time. (And John just tweeted there are 2 more wolves being installed that weren’t ready for preview night) so I cannot wait to go through this again (already did 3 times last night!). It exceeded my expectations, even with all of the hype created from the very positive Orlando reviews. This may be my favorite maze I’ve ever gone through so far, you guys are in for a real treat.

Rating: 11/10

Sounds about right. Man if i had the money and time I would 100% fly out there just for that maze. It's absolutely phenomenal. Goddamnit I miss it.

You guys enjoy the fuck out of it.

REALLY surprised to hear that about Dracula! I still can't picture how it'll work but seems like a lot of castle settings and a ruined village.

Sorry to hear that about TWD. Hollywood's 2012 maze looked phenomenal while last year's looked really bad (all based on videos, btw).

Basically what I expect from FDTD on both coasts.

But AvP.....

(this is a spoiler for BOTH events.)

Orlando didn't get the Queen. Absolute disbelief over that. Congratulations on that one.

Edited by foREVer56
  • Like 1

I’ll be going to Orlando’s event next week so I can’t wait to compare the two events, and possibly write a comparison review if you guys are interested? So there’s my review, hope you guys enjoyed it and it made you even more excited to go! Can’t wait to read what you guys thought.

Yes, PLEASE do a comparison review! That'd be so much fun to read. Good review. Also, if you can do another review after your second trip, I'd love to see that also.

Wow, really? WE WIIIIIIN!!!!! Haha jk........ sorta.

• Like 1

Yes, PLEASE do a comparison review! That'd be so much fun to read. Good review. Also, if you can do another review after your second trip, I'd love to see that also.

Alright will do! It'll definitely be great to finally see their event, I've been wanting to for 7 years! lol and thanks, my reviews aren't the most exciting since my writing skills are weak, but I tried. X)

Looking forward to your in depth review as usual! And I'll definitely post another review for my second visit.

Glad to see that everyone who went to EP night is pleased so far. I'm super excited for tomorrow now! This year will probably make me forget the disappointment that last year was. Thanks for sharing shark! Also, hearing your review on AWiL makes me think my head is going to explode in there. :D

I might try to go back to Orlando next year. It sounds promising with the whole nine houses rumor and knowing it's their 25th anniversary. I didn't go this year since I wanted to save for next year's trip. Plus, as good as it looks, the fact that more than half of the stuff they have is stuff we are doing or have done makes me want to wait.

Shark, thanks for the review! It gave me chills to read your review of AWIL. I TOLD you guys it's fucking amazing! I'm beyond happy that they made it just as good for Hollywood as it was in Orlando. My only regret is we only have 2 nights to experience it again, and then it's over for us.

However, I hope to write some reviews as well since we'll be headed to Orlando in two weeks and again two weeks later and again two weeks later. I love October. :)

• Like 1

Also, hearing your review on AWiL makes me think my head is going to explode in there. :D

I might try to go back to Orlando next year. It sounds promising with the whole nine houses rumor and knowing it's their 25th anniversary. I didn't go this year since I wanted to save for next year's trip. Plus, as good as it looks, the fact that more than half of the stuff they have is stuff we are doing or have done makes me want to wait.

There is a possibility it will explode lol, that's how perfect it was!

I know, the sharing of half of the IPs this year is kinda lame but I do want to compare the differences with the mazes we're sharing. Plus, I had free passes to both Universal parks so might as well go. Haven't even done HHN there yet and I know I want to check out their 25th. Haha

Your welcome! Your review of AWIL and how you were willing to travel down to Hollywood because of this maze made me so excited for it! Even with all of the hype, I can't believe it didn't disappoint in any aspect. I keep replaying scenes from the maze in my head, and it gives me goosebumps. I can't remember another maze having that effect on me.

• Like 1

There is a possibility it will explode lol, that's how perfect it was!

I know, the sharing of half of the IPs this year is kinda lame but I do want to compare the differences with the mazes we're sharing. Plus, I had free passes to both Universal parks so might as well go. Haven't even done HHN there yet and I know I want to check out their 25th. Haha

Your welcome! Your review of AWIL and how you were willing to travel down to Hollywood because of this maze made me so excited for it! Even with all of the hype, I can't believe it didn't disappoint in any aspect. I keep replaying scenes from the maze in my head, and it gives me goosebumps. I can't remember another maze having that effect on me.

This will be my official tenth year traveling for HHN. In all those years, no house had the impact on me that this one did. I am so glad you weren't disappointed at all. I really don't think anyone will be disappointed. It is a masterpiece that truly lives up to its "hype". So.. stay on the road.. keep clear of the moors. :)

• Like 1

You ranked Dracula 4th? Ive heard some good things about it I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out

Yeah weird right? Lol The scare actors played a huge role in that ranking, they all had perfect timing and had a ton of energy. The environments aren't extremely varied, but there was enough to make it work.

I mean from our EP night everyone was still positive about it and seems to be the favorite or in the top 3 for everyone so it's still an excellent house. But if we're talking about that aspect, you guys fucking destroyed us. Lol. BUT WE HAVE B&T AND YOU DONT SO HA! ;P

AVP: Alien vs. Predator

The crashed ship facade was a sight to behold! The sets, audio, costumes, and puppets were so well done that I was in awe the entire time. Audio played a huge role, making me immediately feel tense and constantly looking up or behind me thinking one of the creatures was going to lunge out at me at any moment. I have two minor complaints, and I'm sure they'll be fixed in the next few days:

1.) A few of the predator scareactors were not aggressive

2.) The final scene was too well lit, which made the scare obvious

I must mention even though some of the predators were lacking energy, they were still intimidating making me feel puny (Im 61.) I'm sure within the next week or two, this maze will be flawless.

Rating: 9/10

I'm friends with a couple of the guys playing predators; one is 6'5 and the other is 6'7. The boots give them two more inches, so... yes. :D

Edited by kingundisputed_

We have a new ride this year and an extra maze so (crosses fingers) hopefully it helps out

The jury is still out on Despicable Me, after all it was mentioned they're doing a trial run of it this weekend. If a lot of people go on it over the weekend, they'll keep it open for the remainder of the event. If not, well then there won't be a new ride to help out for the rest of the season.

Edited by Tobias