Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

O.K. I'm gonna rant a bit so forgive me.

I've been talking with several people and It is looking more and more like ETR (Evil Takes Root) and LT are not related at all. Almost like Marketing is doing one thing and A&D are doing another.

....are you serious?? :'(((((( This is not cool. NOT. COOL.

• Like 1

....are you serious?? :'(((((( This is not cool. NOT. COOL.

He is... and it's been obvious to me from the moment the teaser went up that they aren't connected. Legendary Truth is a game created, maintained and run by A&D. Marketing has their own plan. While I think it's cool that PS and the blog were created (since it's at least SOMETHING), it reeks of manufactured marketing and not a true ARG. Let's be honest... (in the game world) would anyone associated closely with LT (to include Goth) legitimately have Halloween Horror Nights ads plastered all over their blog?

I mentioned this disconnect in the Legendary Truth thread. It may be beneficial, if you're playing at home, to view them as two different games for the time being.

• Like 1

He is... and it's been obvious to me from the moment the teaser went up that they aren't connected. Legendary Truth is a game created, maintained and run by A&D. Marketing has their own plan. While I think it's cool that PS and the blog were created (since it's at least SOMETHING), it reeks of manufactured marketing and not a true ARG. Let's be honest... (in the game world) would anyone associated closely with LT (to include Goth) legitimately have Halloween Horror Nights ads plastered all over their blog?

I mentioned this disconnect in the Legendary Truth thread. It may be beneficial, if you're playing at home, to view them as two different games for the time being.

I nave thought about viewing them as separate, but there are too many coincidences for me to do so.

PS may be Goth or may not be. I view ads on the blog as legitimizing the blog. Uni has every reason to let their fans know something is legitimate.

Fake Twitter and Fake Goth has proven that there are trolls who will try to fool fans and ruin it for the rest of us.

It's hard for me to believe that that A&D are giving up on backstory. But I can see the necessity and creative freedom of stepping away from houses being included in backstory.

While houses are considered the "experience" of HHN, IPs severally limit inclusion of houses. Also, from a immersive stand point, streets allow far more interactivity with the guests.

Something that stands out from the HE panel and the LT updates.

Merch is meant to identify operatives. In a house setting, scare actors wouldn't be able to interact as freely as those on the streets. Is the merch for us to identify our fellow gamers or for scare actors to identify gamers and gives clues and hints?

If the higher ups are demanding IPs, A&D's only freedom to give is backstory is the streets.

I cannot see a full disconnect from LT and the theming of the event. It would be the opposite of A&D's stated goal of immersion.

Patience, the Masters have just begun to show us their cards. While we may have gotten better at find out things, they have gotten better at slight of hand and misdirection.

EDIT: Thoughts keep coming.

Wouldn't the lone blogger revealing the houses in connection to the tag line "What evil has taken root?" completely negate Aiello's comments of the houses not being tied together by a larger theme?

GP would see house reveals done by the lone blogger as creating a "backstory"/theme/connection to an interconnecting overarching theme for all the houses.

Can't haven't both ways.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 2

I tend to agree with Mystique on this one. I think the houses won't be connected, but much like last year, the streets and larger theming will be, and that's where LT, Goth, and PS come in. Aiello said that the houses won't be interconnected, but they weren't last year either. The ads on the blog also make sense, as they're very clearly trying to reach a larger audience with LT this year, and putting up ads like that is basic web marketing to drive interactions. It's a double edged sword. On one hand, it means a less underground feel to the games, and more involvement by Universal proper. On the other, it hopefully means a larger budget for A&D to play with things and give us new experiences (like the merchandise and expanded RFID campaigns).

It's only July, and the games have really just barely begun. Last year was a lot of fun, and I'm not expecting differently this year. We just have to let it play out a bit. I'm excited to see what A&D has cooking for us.

• Like 1

EDIT: Thoughts keep coming.

Wouldn't the lone blogger revealing the houses in connection to the tag line "What evil has taken root?" completely negate Aiello's comments of the houses not being tied together by a larger theme?

GP would see house reveals done by the lone blogger as creating a "backstory"/theme/connection to an interconnecting overarching theme for all the houses.

Can't haven't both ways.

Except for the fact that Marketing doesn't mean A&D.

A&D may have had no intention for there to be a connection between the houses, but doesn't mean Marketing didn't say, "Screw it, we'll market them as connected." So yes, we can have it both ways. The only way we can't is by assuming that A&D and Marketing are on the same page.

And also, the merch may be to identify operatives, but for whom: Scareactors or other players? The game doesn't have to have anything to do with the theme of this year's event. Just because LT was the whole story behind 2008 and 2010 doesn't mean LT will ALWAYS be the catalyst for what happens. If it were, it would get pretty damn boring because the pay-off would be the same thing every year. I mean, we have a death row inmate, whose to say the investigation isn't finding clues to exonerate him? Or developing a formula to calm down the DoWs? Those are two things that, judging by what we've already seen from the marketing, wouldn't be tied into the story.

And besides, wouldn't LT NOT having anything to do with the icon be the biggest misdirection ever, since it's obvious everyone is already expecting it?

• Like 4

I agree with Jeramy in that there seems to be a definite disconnect between LT/Goth and PS. Maybe this is A&D vs. Marketing all over again, but Charles said that they came to a better agreement this year. These separate stories could easily explain our frustration with not being able to connect the two seemingly different approaches to giving us information (Goth vs. PS). Are they the same? Why be so secretive if trying to recruit our help? Why edit videos to hide identities? The questions go on . . .

I also agree with Mystique in that we are getting mixed messages from Michael Aiello who said that there is no connection between the houses, yet, as Jeramy pointed out, we have practically written the backstory and created the theming for them. I hope this isn't just Marketing thinking they have a "better" way - only time will tell.

With all of that said, I do still believe there is some connection between LT/Goth and the PS updates. They advertise LT on the main HHN website to increase their sales of FFP tickets, and then show the blog for Evil Takes Root. Even the general public should be able to make the connection since they are both represented at (what appears to be at least) face value on the website.

PS is most likely a female (I would be extremely shocked if we are all wrong about this), but I do not believe she is Goth Wackee. I am with Mystique - there has to be a connection between the two, but as Boogey Man said above, it's early and patience is a virtue. . . .

Regardless, having the woods as a theme, or a "theme" if you prefer, is very enticing and I am thoroughly looking forward to the concept of the woods' entity being a central focal point this year.

• Like 1

Now, just to throw out some speculation as a quick summary, just in case you're not following the HE page:

1) The Devil's Tree (hellmouth protected by a sentinel): http://weirdnj.com/stories/devils-tree/
2) The Jersey Devil: http://weirdnj.com/stories/jersey-devil/

3) The Pig Lady: http://weirdnj.com/tag/pig-lady/

4) The Pine Barrens, Blue Hole, Sourland Mountains, Raritan Railroad, Clinton Road

The above were contributed by a variety of members.

You know, after the fact, we can now appreciate Dr. Jimmy's constant references to Sondheim and "Into the Woods.," along with others who have been dropping hints over the past few months. It's always fun, yet sometimes frustrating, to follow your trail of clues. But, keep 'em coming. But beware, there are other scary things in the woods. :jason:

• Like 1

I don't even know how to react anymore... He does mean for THIS YEAR, correct?

Mike is on record saying they are no longer looking to make a cohesive, unifying story/backstory.. which irks me to no end. I mean how lazy can you be? Heck we practiacally write the backstory for them. (Please take my ideas over just using unrelated gimmicks to advertise).

This theming has me very excited, honestly. I'm just hoping it's more decor than last year's. We need more than ten tombstones and two crypts. :)

Yeah the decore last year left a lot to be desired... it was fun looking for the little tributes they had hidden though!

I made a park map based on all the speculation going on to help visualize things. I'll be updating the map as more things are confirmed. Once again this is a map based on SPECULATION.

If I had to guess. Evil Dead and CITW will share SS 21. We know 21A is CITW for sure and that something will be in B. but that is just a guess.

Also I've heard that Grimm rumor. I'm pretty sure its not true. I watched that episode of the show... it was boring, lame, and uninspired.

• Like 1

I watched that episode of the show... it was boring, lame, and uninspired.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I know so many people who love it and I just am not a huge fan. I wouldn't be excited to see it as a HHN house

• Like 1

If I had to guess. Evil Dead and CITW will share SS 21. We know 21A is CITW for sure and that something will be in B. but that is just a guess.

Also I've heard that Grimm rumor. I'm pretty sure its not true. I watched that episode of the show... it was boring, lame, and uninspired.

I switched Evil Dead on the map.

As for Grimm, it may be a false rumor but it's still very possible with Grimm being a NBC show.

• Like 1

Seems as though my "Havoc 2" idea has gotten popular, although I'm probably not even the first to suggest such things. However, at least my rendition of that assumption was based on the "balloon" hint. With the balloon hint being attributed with something else, is there any other reason why it would be considered? Although, if it isn't based on me, I still think that it would be a good idea. Even if it is wishful thinking. Then again, I'd love for there to be ANY sci-fi horror house, any year.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Alice Cooper is coming back from a few things that have been said. As much as I know we're done with that.

Edited by Dr. John Overwatch

Thanks for the map. I, too, think that Evil Dead and CITW will share a soundstage. Michael Aiello did say that they will complete build the cabin - wouldn't it be cool to see that in the middle of the soundstage (a scaled-down model of course) and use the same cabin for both houses. We could start by walking through the woods, finding the cabin, and then exploring the rest of the movie (house) based on storyline. They could easily modify the sides of the cabin to correctly model the cabin from the respective movie.

And, after talking to Boogey Man earlier today, I agree with the speculation about the HAVOC train. I'll let him explain in detail since he made the connection between the original speculation and the RRRR post from PS. Ryan, credit is due to you for coming up with the idea.

With that said, here's hoping for a video update tomorrow, mostly to settle the restless natives (myself included, of course). <fingers crossed>

Longtime lurker, first time poster. 2010 had the LT house as well as Havoc. And now with the whole “Evil Takes Root” phrase really got me thinking. Fear himself had what appeared to be a lot of roots growing on him. Think there could be a connection since how heavily LT was involved with Fear?

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone has brought this up but I remember hearing that the unearthed logos were being used again but for houses. Which logo if anything would fit tcitw? Also any speculation as to if this is going to be in a ss? Also to anyone from a&a I'm already very pleased with the one house we already have. Haven't had time to be on here for a while.

The only possible place Slender will show up this year is in Cabin in the Woods.

There needs to just be a CreepyPasta thread here to push these sorts of discussions to...

I don't know if anyone has brought this up but I remember hearing that the unearthed logos were being used again but for houses. Which logo if anything would fit tcitw? Also any speculation as to if this is going to be in a ss? Also to anyone from a&a I'm already very pleased with the one house we already have. Haven't had time to be on here for a while.

Honestly, I have a suspicion that is more wishful thinking than hard connection. There is no confirmation of that theory, and avoids the fact that there's eight houses and only six legions. I'm saying that only because my prediction towards Legendary Truth/Horror Unearthed is far more cynical than most, and that comes from what I've heard that I'm not at liberty to discuss (yet). I truly feel that the heavy focus on the different legions will be lessoned a great deal in lieu of a more immediately accessible, Legendary Truth focus.

The why is simple. The legions, if you didn't participate in it last year, are complicated. I didn't play the games at all last year and have only in the past month gotten use to what the names are. With that, I can only name four of them off the top of my head. Now, each of those legions has their own "bloodlines" and "norms" that, when it comes to the game is expected to be adhered to. An average guest (next year) who purchases a FFP and just casual stumbles into the game will be quickly overwhelmed and turned-off. It would be like jumping into a Halo/Call of Duty multi-player with a bunch of level-70s and you just got through the tutorial. It's not fun.

Legendary Truth, and their investigations, on the other hand is extremely linear and can be structured around the influx of new members during (and after) the event. A casual fan will feel much more comfortable figuring out a single story than being forced to learn all the canon before they can conceivably play.

Now, unless something changed, guests will be able to really interact with a legion this year. But, that still doesn't mean it will be tied heavily into Horror Unearthed.

• Like 2

The only possible place Slender will show up this year is in Cabin in the Woods.

There needs to just be a CreepyPasta thread here to push these sorts of discussions to...

Made. Please direct all slender man and various other creepypasta comments

• Like 2

I'm not sure if Philip who posted the video on the horror unearthed Facebook page is on here, or who he is. But the video essentially explains what cabin in the woods will be.

In the video it kind of strays from what we've been told so far, but that got me to speculating even harder about the house.

When he told me they get their information comes directly from Universal, that got me to thinking what if they were right in the video?

in the video they basically say that we're in the cabin is part of the sacrifice, including the zombie redneck torture family.

Now what if, and stay with me here, we are in the night but... DUAL RUN CABIN IN THE WOODS MAZE..

once I got to thinking about it, it kind of makes sense.

picture this: first run... in the cabin, all of a sudden the Buckner Family shows up. sacrifices...mayhem...the works.

second run: working in the facility as the other group of guests go through the maze as the sacrifices happen, and with the ending of the first Run coming into the facility, they flip the switch we see all the monsters let loose while in the facility.

Pure speculation obviously, but it kind of makes sense. This may very well be able to be done in ss21a and b.

Edited by Iwrestledabearonce