Shark23's HHN 2012 Review

Arsik_22

Finally I've checked out all of the mazes and the Bill and Ted show during my breaks and decided I would share my thoughts- here we go!

La Llorona: Last year, I thought the maze looked fantastic, but was lacking in scares. This year was a HUGE improvement. The new scenes were twisted, and truly made you feel like you were in a child's nightmare. The added scenes made the maze feel unpredictable, making me wonder what was coming next. The scare actors also were much more aggressive. Overall, the eerie environments that were presented last year are now accompanied by twisted new scenes that make this repeat feel like a different experience.

Set Design: 10/10

Scares: 8.5/10

Universal Monsters Remix: No doubt, the best House of Horrors overlay so far! New scare spots, lighting, and dubstep music made this a very fun maze. Was it extremely scare? No- but it was enjoyable. Plus, the scare actors were all very energetic. After Murdy and the creative team took a risk with this maze, I'm curious what we'll see in the House of Horrors next year. Maybe "House of Horrors: Gangnam Style." tongue.png

Set Design: New props were added but overall it still is the HOH, so I'm not going to rate this aspect of the maze.

Scares: 7.5/10

Alice Cooper Goes to Hell 3D: The most impressive use of 3D in a maze I have ever seen! This maze is a total mind trip. While it was visually stunning, the scares were lacking. Comparing Goes to Hell and Welcome to My Nightmare, I personally enjoyed WTMN a lot more because it scared me way more than ACGTH. But overall, this was a cool concept, and had a great use of 3D.

Set Design: 10/10

Scares: 3/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- The Saw is the Law: This maze was not as good as the 07/08 version, however it wasn't a bad maze. None of the scare actors targeted me, but the other guests in front and behind me seemed terrified. Lol There are some bare walls, but they aren't very noticeable since there's so much going on around you. The dining room scene and gas station scene was awesome. The only thing that bothered me in this maze was the inconsistency with how the Leatherface scare actors looked- most of them were skinny. :huh: Overall, I had fun going through this maze and I thought it did the original TCM movie justice.

Set Design: 7/10

Scares: 8/10

Welcome to Silent Hill: I'm completely disappointed with this maze- this being one of the worst HHN mazes I have ever been through. This property should have, and easily could have been one of the best mazes we have ever seen, but instead you go through a maze with plain black walls, chain link fences, and generic environments. There are no transition rooms where the walls decompose in front of your eyes or anything to that extent. All we see is scrim effects where Dark Alyssa appears. The use of Twisted Nurses, Pyramid Heads, and Doll throughout the maze feel repetitive and unnecessary. Plus, most of the Pyramid Heads were slow and seemed lazy, besides the one in the classroom who was very aggressive. There are plenty of characters in the realm of Silent Hill that could have been used but we see hardly any of them. The only creepy looking creature used is the Armless Man, and he only appears behind a chain link fence so you don't feel threatened. Janitor Colin was on a table which was also weird. The final scene was also a complete joke. A plain room with bare black walls with 3 Robbie the Rabbit characters sitting on benches. One barely moving it's hand towards you to make you jump? Overall, really bad maze unfortunately.

Set Design: 3/10

Scares: 2/10

The Walking Dead: Dead Inside: I'm not going to review this maze in much detail since I'm biased. tongue.png Lol But as a fan, I feel like they represented the show perfectly. Bicycle Girl looks creepy as hell, the tank scene is massive, the hospital looks great, and the barn is overwhelming. One complaint I have though is the motionless zombies that are close to the horse and also in the alley. Overall, since I love the Walking Dead show, I loved this maze.

Terror Tram: Haven't had the chance to go through this yet, but I've been hearing the scare actors are doing a great job.

Bill and Ted: A very solid show this year. I loved the opening dance that payed tribute to the classic monsters with a modern twist. The jokes were hit and miss, but most were good. The performers that voiced Ted/Bane/Old man from Family Guy were also really good. This was one of my favorite Bill and Ted shows.

Scarezones-

Klownz: Scare actors in this zone always kick ass. Hopefully we don't see Klownz return in the same spot next year though.

Toyz: Awesome theme, mediocre execution. Scare actors did a good job, and costumes look good but props are just repurposed from previous years.

Silent Hill: Nurses seemed to be doing a good job scaring guests, but there is nothing in this zone! Next year, should either be themed with props, or not be a scarezone at all.

Haven't checked out Witchez yet.

It's apparent scarezones aren't the primary focus. Although mazes are the most important thing, I feel like there should be more effort put into scarezones because it adds to the atmosphere.

OVERALL: I feel like the mazes this year are much better than last year, and the Bill and Ted show was also a huge improvement compared to 2010/2011. The event needs to grow in size though, because this event is so popular now there should be at least 7, even 8 mazes by next year and 2-3 shows to help with the huge lines. Doubt it will happen, but we'll see. All in all, I had a blast checking out the mazes and thought they were all great (except Silent Hill) Lol

Edited by shark23

Shark, good review and agree with the Silent Hill summary. I am no gamer by any means but the story has the potential to be downright creepy and disturbing. Silent Hill seems to be one of those properties with a story that is difficult to translate to a maze. The scarezone for SH may have been more effective in a darker, more chlostrophic setting on the upper lot.

• Like 1

Dang, that was harsh on Silent Hill! lmao but honesty is honesty. At one point, this was my most anticipated and I'm not even a gamer. Such a shame because it had so much potential but it was just BLEH. I'm really hoping it's improved on my next trip at the end of the month.

Dang, that was harsh on Silent Hill! lmao but honesty is honesty. At one point, this was my most anticipated and I'm not even a gamer. Such a shame because it had so much potential but it was just BLEH. I'm really hoping it's improved on my next trip at the end of the month.

Yeah I had to vent, I was so upset after going through that maze. Lol Yeah The Walking Dead and Silent Hill were my most anticipated, and I'm not a gamer either. I just researched the property a bit, and have seen the movie and knew this maze could be one of the best mazes ever created. Guess not. Lol I can't imagine much improvement, but I guess we have to just wait and see. x)

Great review, but one little thing. The chainlink fences in the beggining is a prominent part in the first game. one of the first scenes in the original game is the chainlink fences

Oh okay, well besides the chainlink fence, the other environments were so generic and boring. At least Silent Hill was the only disappointing maze, I had a great time in all the other mazes.

Edited by shark23

The chainlink fences didn't really play a huge part in the underworld. It never added much scare factor. o.o

Definitely could've been better, but I don't want a repeat next year.

They'd change a few scenes, but if they didn't remake it entirely, it'll fail even more so.

Even if they did remake it entirely, they could probably screw up the exact same way.

I don't hate the maze, I thought it was kool, but yeah, for the property and all the sources they had to use, they definitely didn't take advantage of the potential.

The chainlink fences didn't really play a huge part in the underworld. It never added much scare factor. o.o

Definitely could've been better, but I don't want a repeat next year.

They'd change a few scenes, but if they didn't remake it entirely, it'll fail even more so.

Even if they did remake it entirely, they could probably screw up the exact same way.

I don't hate the maze, I thought it was kool, but yeah, for the property and all the sources they had to use, they definitely didn't take advantage of the potential.

I think if we see a remake next year, it'll probably be The Walking Dead since season 3 is in a prison and the show would still be popular.

I hope we don't see a Silent Hill repeat. <_<

^me too. Either resident evil or dead space, but I have a bad feeling that we may not see anymore video games for a while. And I agree about the blank walls thing. It really shocks me how they chose to have blank walls in the finale of the maze. That should have been somewhere wwweaaaayyyy in the beginning. Personally, I think WTSH was a missed opportunity. It seems like all they did was play downpour watch the movie and threw In pyramid head and the nurses. The only creature they used that wasn't a vert iconic character was armless man.

^me too. Either resident evil or dead space, but I have a bad feeling that we may not see anymore video games for a while. And I agree about the blank walls thing. It really shocks me how they chose to have blank walls in the finale of the maze. That should have been somewhere wwweaaaayyyy in the beginning. Personally, I think WTSH was a missed opportunity. It seems like all they did was play downpour watch the movie and threw In pyramid head and the nurses. The only creature they used that wasn't a vert iconic character was armless man.

Yeah if this maze doesn't get good ratings from guests, which I doubt it will we probably will never Dead Space. :unsure: I think there's still a possibility of seeing Resident Evil since there are movies and games but after seeing how poorly done WTSH was done, I'm kind of worried to see Resident Evil at HHN because what if that gets butchered like Silent Hill? :o