Reaper's Review

EventReviewGraphicsHeader.png

This review is based on attendance of 2 nights.

All ratings are based on a number to 1-10

wintersnight.png

First of all, I was amazed by the set design from the falling snow to the highly detailed crypts and tombstones. I received a good amount of scares out this house and I had fun throughout the house nonstop. This house delivered excellent performance and it is easily one of my favorite houses for this year. My only gripe is that out of the both nights I attended is that I never did get to see the Weeping Angel statue in action. But, that's no big deal, because everything else seemed to balance the issue out. I thoroughly loved this house. 9 / 10

nightingales.png

Another house with amazing set design. I like to say that this house is truly intense. The costuming was really well-done, especially the Nightingales. The Nightingales masks are so creepy looking. I loved the sound effects used in this house with it sounding like an actual WWI battlefield and whatnot. I was lucky enough to see the ripping effect on my first night of attendance and that made me happy. I really wanted to attend this house a second time on Halloween night, but apparently it was closed for technical issues, and it really bummed me out. The big thing I love about the house, is the very creative backstory. I don't think there's a single thing about this house that I disliked. Another truly amazing house! 10 / 10

thething-1.png

This house, in my opinion is a whole lot better than 2007's Assimilation house. I loved the intensity of this house! The costuming in this house is amazing as well with the alien prosthetics. I got to see all of the animatronic effects that there were. I couldn't believe how authentic the house is to the actual movie and that made me happy the most. My favorite part of this house was when you were in the space ship scene. I received a good amount of scares in this house. Totally awesome! 8 / 10

bloodengutz.png

When I first went through this house on the 30th, I thought the house was just meh. I loved the dark humor of the house, but I received very little scares in this house. On Halloween night, totally different story. The actors in this house were up more on their game and I actually got scared multiple times. So kudos to all of the actors in this house! When I first went through this house on the 30th I was hoping to get really scared by the Feaster Bunny, but didn't. On Halloween night, however I did get encountered by the Feaster Bunny and scared me good. Basically at first I wasn't a big fan of the house, then after my second night of attendance, my interest in this house grew. All in all, it was a fun house to attend. The Bloodengutz character in this house is really fun to interact with, which also made it more fun. 7 / 10

SNS-1.png

This is by far the best house to ever utilize the Jaws queue! I loved the effects used in this house and this house is full of awesome effects, from the moving blade walls to the guy getting dragged in by meat grinder. I am glad they upgraded last year's scare zone into a house. The costuming in this house was awesome as well. I received numerous scares throughout the house. Awesome job to all of the actors in this house! The guy in the scuba suit behind the waterfall is really cool effect to see. Amazing house! 10 / 10

nevermore-1.png

This is the best house to ever be utilized in a tent, because it had soundstage quality sets. I love all of Edgar Allan Poe's stories and I went into this house with high expectations and I was completely in awe throughout the whole house. The Tell-Tale Heart scene is my favorite in the house contending with the Masque of the Red Death scene. Got tons of scares in this house. My only gripe about this house is that the frequency of the scares took some time to reset, because my second night of attendance of this house was better than my first night of attendance. Anyways, this was a very cool house to go through. 9 / 10

inbetween.png

I want to say this is only my second 3D house with Jack's Funhouse in 2007 being my first. This house has the best 3D effects I have ever seen! I didn't notice on my first night of attendance, but I noticed on my second night of attendance, that there is a pentagram made with the Deathly Hallows symbol. I didn't know about it until Dr. Jimmy pointed it out, so thanks for that! Kudos to the winged demons in this house, because you guys scared me so good. This house is so disorienting from the spinning vortex tunnel, the pentagram hallway, and to the elastic-band room. By the end of the house I was so dizzy. The floating head demons scared me really good as well. I received the most scares from this house. This is easily my favorite house of the year! 10 / 10

forsaken-1.png

First off, I love the backstory of this house. Even though there's no facade for the house, it is well balanced by everything else on the inside. The set-design is so amazing in this house especially the court yard scene and the slanted floor ship scene. The costuming in this house was really well done, especially the glowing eyes on the mutinous crew scare actors. The big thing I really loved about this house, is that I really felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane with the blowing wind and the water effects that were used. Another amazing house! I didn't see any flaws in this house at all. 10 / 10

Houses / Overall: The houses this year are definitely amazing with set-design and has awesome scare moments.

Scarezones

7 (Seven): Easily my favorite scare zone of the year! The actors in this zone are really into it and really made the scare zone truly amazing. I loved the fact that the scare zone changed throughout the night with cosmetic costuming changes from the actresses on the stages. The music used in the scare zone fits perfectly. I am glad this scare zone received the "Scare Zone of the Year" award, because they really deserved it. Vanity's minion is definitely an awesome scare actor because he got right into my face and got me good along with his creepy monologue. 10 / 10

Nightmaze: Something different and I really liked it. I got scared pretty good by the scare actors in this scare zone. With the maze able to change throughout the night with a blinding light shining in your face with tons of fog is what made this scare zone truly awesome. A really cool scare zone to go through! 8 / 10

Acid Assault: I loved the crumbling building projections used in this scare zone along with the costuming. The masks used in this zone are so creepy looking. I received great scares in this zone. It was awesome seeing the Rat Lady return to a scare zone and particularly this one, because she fit perfectly in this zone. Another cool scare zone! 9 / 10

Your Luck Has Run Out: I wasn't really impressed with this scare-zone. The problem is not the scare actors, because they are doing the best they can. The biggest problem is the masks used for the transformed Lady Lucks were kind of cheesy looking and I think make-up and prosthetics probably could have easily fixed the issue. The sound effects used for the transformed Lady Lucks just got annoying after while. The Spade Gang in the scare zone are awesome in this zone, but the Lady Lucks aren't. Plus on a side note, I think this would be better as a house rather than as a scare zone. 4 / 10

Canyon of Dark Souls: Another scare zone that I really wasn't impressed with. I like the fact that they are playing around with different locations for scare zones, but I feel this scare zone isn't really worth the visit. This scare zone is very claustrophobic and it's really small. I went in with high expectations and I was really let down. I'm sorry to be a bit harsh, but none of the scare actors in this zone didn't put the effort into scaring. I found it best just to go around the scare zone than rather go through it. I wanted to like the scare zone, but it's just not my cup of tea. 2 / 10

Grown Evil: This scare zone I love! Perfect location for a scare zone like this. The costuming used in this scare zone is superb. I love the Silent Hill music used in this scare zone along with the fog and everything else. I got great scares in this zone. This is my second favorite scare zone of the year! 8 / 10

Scare Zones / Overall: Only half out of the six scare zones are awesome. I feel the others should have been replaced with something better. 6 / 10

Shows

Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure: I like the show, better than last year's per se. But, there are some characters that I feel that aren't big in popularity to be in the show. Overall it was a fun show. 7 / 10

Death Drums: Something new brought to the table, which is something I always admire. If you cross the musical "Stomp" with undead zombies and high energy dancers, you get this show. I love this show so much I caught multiple viewings of the show. I would love this show to return next year! 10 / 10

Event / Overall: Awesome milestone year for houses. I feel the overall theme is lacking, but I still had fun nonetheless. Lady Luck, I feel is a weak icon at the actual event. I would like to have seen Lady Luck shown more prominently in all of the houses. Half of the scare zones are amazing, but I feel some of the scare zones could have been replaced with something better. Overall it's definitely a great year to attend! 9 / 10

Great review. I agree that all of the houses were fantastic this year. Really great.

I guess Nightmaze totally depended on when you go through it. I did it a couple of times and it was always just one long conga line going through a pretty set path. I was disappointed.

Also- I think I saw you there on Sunday!

Great review. I agree that all of the houses were fantastic this year. Really great.

I guess Nightmaze totally depended on when you go through it. I did it a couple of times and it was always just one long conga line going through a pretty set path. I was disappointed.

Also- I think I saw you there on Sunday!

Thanks. Every time I went through Nightmaze, there were barely any people in it, so I guess that's what made it awesome for me.

Thanks. Every time I went through Nightmaze, there were barely any people in it, so I guess that's what made it awesome for me.

Makes sense. That would definitely make a big difference. Same with Canyon. When it was packed, it was a mess. But if you caught it while the crowds were light, it was very cool.

I agree with you on Lady Luck masks. I think prosthetics would have worked better. Also with Nightmaze when I went to HHN on the 6th I walked through Nightmaze and I was pretty much the only one in there at the time so I was constantly being messed with. It was pretty awesome. Nice review my friend... :)

I agree with you on Lady Luck masks. I think prosthetics would have worked better. Also with Nightmaze when I went to HHN on the 6th I walked through Nightmaze and I was pretty much the only one in there at the time so I was constantly being messed with. It was pretty awesome. Nice review my friend... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree about Vanity's minions...they were standouts in a zone full of superstars. There was on guy in the A cast that got me EVERY FRICKIN TIME I walked thru all month long. In addition to having amazing timing, he was also funny as heck when talking to you.