HHN Hollywood 2012 Wishful Thinking

November 1st: the dreariest day of the entire year. Not only has the season of scaring, getting candy, and watching horror come to an end, but the biggest event of the season, Halloween Horror Nights has come to an end. Yes, the event only comes once a year, but that doesn't mean we simply leave it at that and move on; that is why we have the wishful thinking and speculation threads to keep up occupied throughout year until September 23rd. Though our cherished event may be be quite a ways away, at least we have the holidays to look forward to, a season of thankfulness and family; Christmas Fear at Sinister Pointe, the highly anticipated Transformers Ride, and the long-awaited Carsland at Disneyland. For right now, let us express the passion that we all share for this event and let us anticipate the seventh year of the premier Halloween event on the West coast.

To start off the wishful thinking thread, let me emphasize that it is simply that: wishful thinking. This thread is not speculation for next year. Yes, I know. You really want to blurt out a certain movie that will arrive as a haunted house next year but, save it for January first because that is when speculation officially starts. That appears to be the trend that this site desires to establish. Just remember that his thread is for sharing ideas, expressing what you do or do not want to see next year, not what you think is going to happen next year. Thanks for your cooperation and have fun! I will let someone else start before I share my thoughts.

^As you have seen my posts from earlier this year, you will see that I have been absolutely nuts on wanting a Scream house this since I am a fan of those movies. After seeing how amazing La Llorona and Alice Cooper were as original concepts, I have changed my tune on wanting one. If the rights wouldn't be so hard to get, then I would say, "Yeah! Why not do it?" Alas, through what Murdy has said, there the string to attain the rights is so big, it just isn't worth it. The environments are nothing out-of-the-ordinary. Just some houses, a movie theater, and stage. The only scenes that would be worth recreating in my eyes are the garage door scene and the costume room from three with all of those costumes. Even the latter scene has already been done in a different way on the Terror Tram. Even though the Scream Terror Tram concept was flawed and definitely could've been a LOT better, we got our Scream and I'm happy.

Now let me express what I want to see. After seeing how cool Esquerlo Muerte (Sp?) was at Halloween Horror Nights Orlando last year, I want to see Hollywood come up with some really cool scarezone that allows such lighting and good hiding spots. Speaking hiding spots, have you noticed that's what Hollywood's scarezones really lack? It's mainly just the scare-actors wandering around the areas hoping to scare some people. Universal would rule the SZ kingdom if they did that AND used the sound effects to scare people.

I'm honestly getting tired of seeing the flame towers on NY street. Either relocate them, or just use those flame machines in more creative places in the zones. Maybe have them spread out on the roofs of the buildings or something. Every year is starting to feel more repetitive with that thing there.

Finally, I really want to see a main theme and a central icon be used for next year's event. I know Ghostface was supposed to be the main face for this year, but marketing never established him as that in the ads or even at the front gate. "So Rob Zombie is the main icon this year? What?"

I'm sure I have more to share, but I'll post them later.

Am I crazy or am I the only one who wants SCREAM to be a full-fledge maze for '12? I don't buy crap about the franchise lacking the proper environments from the maze, because after watching the entire quadrilogy, I saw that there was plenty to work with even from Scream 3!

see the thing with scream is it is true, its all suburban neighborhoods minus scream 3, but the beautifull thing about scream is due to its movie within a movie concept they wrok around it and come up great enviroments that can tie into the franchise but I think we should at least wait another year to give ghostface another go.

My wishfull thinking

one thing I know most of us want is for this to finaly be the year Trick r Treat shows up. Which Im sure has a big possibility this year.

like freak said the scarezones should be improved instead of relying too much on that area's enviorment too much, Also I realy loved Reapers (with facial hair lol) this year and would love to see it done again but with enviorment, and expanded neon lighting or even the neon glowing graffettie that was used in 06 and 07 in Whoville could work in this area.

I loved the mazes this year but realy If one has to come back I hope its La Llorrona, cuz The Thing, Alice Cooper and Hostel were awsome but to me it seemed like one year awsome but another year just bleh.

We need another show if not at least Slaughterwolrd's return and maybe some of the lines will be less drastic.

and we need to go back to a central theme cuz although this year was fricken awsome it felt like it was missing that epic feel like and story.

YES! Theme and story! Terror Tram needs to return as the plot of the event. They half did it this year but I need it to go all the way. The Scream Terror Tram would've been fine in my eyes if it had a maze to accommodate it but alas it didn't and it felt like a lousy effort.

Speaking of Terror Tram - - new location. I wasn't on board with that line of thinking before; I truly am content with it's spot now. BUT I'd like them to give another spot a try just to see if it can really be better. In my opinion, nothing can compare to the WOTW set as a finale elsewhere on the backlot unless they put an actual mega budget behind it, which I don't see them doing. Move the TT away from the neighbors and another issue will arise. It's like that Pop a Mole game.

And speaking of Scream - - I still thirst for it. What was given this year wasn't Scream. There's no possible way I could be satisfied from what was given if what was represented was only a shimmer of what Scream is. Scream never came to Universal in my eyes, Ghostface did. So I still long for the maze. I still wanna see those environments recreated. I still wanna see those scenes play out.

Also mentioned before, Trick 'R Treat. I don't buy the "not popular" enough story anymore. We're doing original now - - we can settle for a small time film to please it's fanbase. People will go in the maze and love it regardless. Look at The Thing. It bombed beyond reason and it had one of the longest lines each night. It had the original to help it but the reason for that film's success is because of a hardcore fanbase found it on video. That's the same situation for TrT, is it not? A sequel at this point would definitely benefit it though and I still haven't heard anything about it, which means it probably won't be ready by Halloween 2012. But I won't get into speculation; I just wanna say I WANT TRICK 'R TREAT.

Also mentioned before, repeats. As said before, I don't mind them as much as you guys. But I know for sure that I don't wanna see HOTC ever again. The maze was never amazing to me in the first place. But I do enjoy Rob Zombie's relationship with Universal and would like to see another RZ maze in the future, whether it be original or Lords of Salem. As for Hostel, it didn't leave an impression on me this year but I know there's multiple ideas that could be possibly be done for it. Eli Roth loves this stuff and I don't know if that means he wants to try something new or if he'll just wanna repeat success. My hope is for something new. Alice Cooper? This is Murdy's baby. I welcome it back next year but only if it changes some things up. New rooms, maybe a coherent story and definitely new villains that are scary. I want the maze to be creepy and actually frightening. It was fun but it never made me feel terrified. La Llorona? It was my favorite maze of the year, by far. But I feel bringing it back will just make it lose it's scary. Hollywood could work with this as icon material and give her a different type of house, whether it's next year or later down the road but I don't wanna see the same exact maze for it. The Thing? Nah. It was great but the surprise element is gone. What was so exciting this year is going in and not having any idea how those creatures would look. And the fact that they always changed, got bigger and in different areas made it really surprising but now we'll know where they all are, how big they are, etc.. I want something of the same caliber but just a different franchise or idea. The Wolfman? Look, it really doesn't matter. The HoH will always be the HoH no matter what you put in it. My wishful thinking though is next year they put some damn amazing effort into it to the point where it's damn near unrecognizable. It'll never happen but this is wishful thinking. As for older mazes from the past such as TCM or Halloween? Personally, I don't want it right now anymore. I did but I just wanna see more "new." I could wait another year for those 2.

Other things I wanna see: The Evil Dead. The Ring. The Descent.

I'm content with the number of mazes but we do NEED NEED NEED more shows.

Scarezones, this year... man, what a let down. Old and rehashed. As said, move the fire towers elsewhere or use them for what they were made for: WELCOME TO HELL. Our haunt needs a staple scarezone that can vary within it's own theme and WTH works for that; can there be clowns in hell? Can there be pigs in hell? Can there be zombies in hell? Sure. The theme can be reworked in so many ways to fit whatever theme needed for the event that year. Whatever the case, we need a more general and broad staple scarezone that people can look forward to on how it's changed. Klownz is too specific but I dig the energy in that section. If not going with that route, move the cannons elsewhere or get rid of them.

Im with you DTH I like how HHNH has a relationship with Rob Zombie its like if Murdy's the father of HHN Rob's the cool Uncle I would love for a Lords of Salem maze to be honest the perfect year for 2012 would be

Trick r Treat (with Sam as Icon)-Vampires, Werewolves, and zombies

Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem-Witches

Resident Evil-Zombies

Paranormal Activity- Spirits

Scream-Ghouls (Ghost face kinda looks like one)

The Strangers- Urban Legends (and too I want to see them get a full fledge maze well not realy I just want them to return and make there cameos again lol)

all these in a way represent traditional but also modernized Halloween creatures and would fit togather in a central theme

one thing I know most of us want is for this to finaly be the year Trick r Treat shows up. Which Im sure has a big possibility this year.

We've been saying that since 2010 speculation. I want it as much as you all do and would think that would be the perfect theme, Murdy has been telling me that he and Michael know each other well and would do TrT in a heartbeat at this point; the problem is that Warner Bros. just does not want to let them do it. DTH brought up why it could be possible this year, but I don't want us to stray into speculation just yet. Just imagine if we did have it. Oh how jealous Orlando would be of us. :D

like freak said the scarezones should be improved instead of relying too much on that area's enviorment too much, Also I realy loved Reapers (with facial hair lol) this year and would love to see it done again but with enviorment, and expanded neon lighting or even the neon glowing graffettie that was used in 06 and 07 in Whoville could work in this area.

Repears will be a good fit for the lower lot if you think about it: Transformers and the remodeled gift shop will give the lower lot an industrialized feel so that the Reapers will fit in with that area. I would love to see some props down there as much as we all do, but Transformers, the two houses (Assuming the fire marshal lets them off easy), JP, and Mummy, it'll just be too crowded down there to do it.

I loved the mazes this year but realy If one has to come back I hope its La Llorrona, cuz The Thing, Alice Cooper and Hostel were awsome but to me it seemed like one year awsome but another year just bleh.

I really hope we don't see any returning houses. The only one I wouldn't mind seeing is Hostel since I've heard Roth has an entirely new layout planned. (I'm not trying to speculate here, I'm just saying...) :rolleyes:

We need another show if not at least Slaughterwolrd's return and maybe some of the lines will be less drastic.

I wouldn't mind another show, but if it eats out of the budget to the point where it affects the quality of all of the attractions or ensues a repeat, then I don't think we need another show for right now. Besides, Orlando's second show is just a "side street show" so Orlando has just one "real" show. I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm pretty content with just Bill and Ted.

and we need to go back to a central theme cuz although this year was fricken awsome it felt like it was missing that epic feel like and story.

Central theme. PLEASE. I'm tired of just a mixture of themes.

It dont make sense realy even sense Michael made all those shorts and Characters for FEARnet (which is the reason I say its a big possibility sense its geting more and more of a cult following) FEARnet is owned by NBCUniversal Sony and Lionsgate it dont make sense (theres another one btw Ill post in the TrT thread) that they wont lisence characters that Michael owns to universal studios but the liscense shorts to FEARnet IDK it just seems fishy and Murdy himself says 1.) hes gonna keep pushing for it cuz its what his fans want and 2.) that he's a carny at heart so its all about misdirection.

Not only do I want a main theme for this year, but a different tagline. Seriously, if I have to go through a third year of hearing "What fear Fears Most".... <_<

BTW, have you seen Singapore's scarezones? They really put ours to shame! <_<

Just to give you all an idea:

Yeah, Singapore pretty much ONLY has scare zones though so I guess that's where all the budget goes. I believe there's technically only one maze and the other maze they have is actually a scare zone (or was it the other way around?). I unno, scarezones are last on my list of things that need to be fixed. I still wanna know why they're not packing the animal stage when they had a show there the first year... and I think the T2 stage could be used as well. Definitely not Shrek though (unless they change up where the FOTL passers go)

I dont realy think we should be thinking Shrek and T2 yet since Animal Actors and Waterworld are completly empty during HHN even its not like we need as much shows as knotts but something can go into animal Actors or Slaughterworld.

What I want to see too is for Animal Actor area to be a scarezone like the strangers they dont reraly need props and can just add lighting

What if they get rid of Bill and Ted and use the building as a new maze venue? And they could replace Bill and Ted with an original show at the Animal Actors stage.

I'm sure some people might think I'm crazy for this idea, but I don't enjoy B&T that much because I think it's getting a little outdated; I took my friends to the show, and they had no idea who Bill and Ted were! Eventually they have to get rid of it, because the film itself is over twenty years old, and I really long for something different.

Edited by iLuvStabWounds

Can't use it for a maze venue because they still need the stage for day time usage for the Special Effects show.

And I actually heard they were gonna make a Bill and Ted 3, so that may solve the dated problem. Because as is now, you would be right and that they would have to eventually get rid of it, even at Orlando where it's a staple attraction. I think it has another 10 years or so for it in Orlando. In Hollywood, I say another 5. People just aren't as into it over here for whatever reason. But yeah, I give those timelines UNLESS they put out another before than. I think a good replacement would be Harold and Kumar. Bill and Ted don't really use their phone booth for time travel in the show much anymore.

a maze wont fit in there, all mazes themselfs are in a queue and need some for the maze, just cuz its a empty building dont mean you can shove a maze in there especialy one that is basicly all steps like castle theater and the fact that they're outdated realy dont mean anything in the terms of that show Im usre theres a fair ammount of people who know who they are I know the first year they returned alot of people didnt know who bill and ted were (The HHN Updaters for one) until the show but found out afterwards, but the show has become populer with HHN go-ers (noticed I didnt say fans) cuz the show realy does not represent or focus on Bill and Ted (Movies) and this is the reason it survived song long on both coasts it focuses on pop culture, recent Movies, Sexy Women and Men, and the populer music of the year which no matter what is gonna outstage Bill and Ted every year, I remember the first year bill and ted came back people we're ,ore WTF!?!? leaving the theater and what not but year after year the audiance got it more, and now when Bill and Ted come out everyone cheers, and everybody laughs, and everybody sings, I can get you dont like it not every gonna like it alot of people in orlando dont like Bill & Ted but its a hit with the crowds and is fresh every year so theres more to do around Universal, and trust me you dont even wanna know what they tryed to compete with the hanging with before Bill & Ted that was just wrong!

What if they get rid of Bill and Ted and use the building as a new maze venue? And they could replace Bill and Ted with an original show at the Animal Actors stage.

Actually, in 1999 (I think; zombieman might know if the venue was used that year) and 2000, they used the castle theater for a haunted house venue. In 2000 they used that for Clive Barker's Harvest and in 1999 (Again, I'm not 100% on this year) for Clive Barker's Hell. Bill and Ted was used in the WWW arena for 1999 and WaterWorld for 2000. If they really wanted to use that venue for a house, I guess they could move Bill and Ted to the WaterWorld venue if they wanted to. I doubt they would do this because the neighbors and the studio always give the event crap for allowing any noise from that theater after 10PM; as a matter of fact, that's what butchered SlaughterWorld. Animal Actors is obviously too small to use. They could use T2 but it would be a tad crowded and have some of the crowd noise bleed into the house below; not to mention that they couldn't use pyro because it would be a fire hazard to the screen. I think Bil and Ted should and will always remain in the castle theater--or SES theater.

And I actually heard they were gonna make a Bill and Ted 3, so that may solve the dated problem. Because as is now, you would be right and that they would have to eventually get rid of it, even at Orlando where it's a staple attraction. I think it has another 10 years or so for it in Orlando. In Hollywood, I say another 5. People just aren't as into it over here for whatever reason. But yeah, I give those timelines UNLESS they put out another before than. I think a good replacement would be Harold and Kumar. Bill and Ted don't really use their phone booth for time travel in the show much anymore.

They are working on Bill and Ted three so, like DTH said, the whole "dated" thing will no longer matter.Heck, if Bill and Ted are so dated, then why hasn't Universal gotten rid of Blues Brothers or Earthquake? Those attractions are really dated.

Earlier today, I have been thinking about how much of a pain-in-the neck House of Horrors has become to this event. I'm sure I speak for almost everybody on here when I say: "Either stop using HoH and find a better venue to relocate the sixth house or make drastic changes for its overlay (Which we know is never going to happen). They have to use it because it increases capacity for the park as they can advertise it as a "NEW!" maze without having to spend the money that is necessary to build one It sounds cheap and lame, but they're a business; Universal has to maximize their profits somehow. Either they have use it as a throwaway house or they keep it the way it is, name and all, and include it as part of the house line-up for marketing purposes. If it were up to me, I would have it open just as it is, but list it as part of the rides or the "other attractions" along with Simpsons, Mummy, Jurassic, and Transformers. Then again, marketing wants to advertise it as another house. Yeah, they could just leave it the way it is, put it under the house line-up, and find a seventh haunted house venue, but I don't think any of us want House of Horrors to be part of that line up for years and years to come.

If management is determined to use that space to increase capacity and still use six houses, this is what I would do: Put a haunted house in the Globe theater and relocate the Eyegores to Gibson or on that lawn. They can probably get permission from Gibson to do that as opposed to putting a haunted house on their lawn. They could use the overflow queue where House of Horrors had theirs and have it extend out to the long pathway by T2. This would be the perfect remedy for a sound stage house and would provide the same type of feel for it, allowing more spacious sets. If they did this, a replacement venue will have been found without having to use the never-changing House of Horrors and increase slightly more capacity. It would be a win/win situation.

The bottom line is that if the House of Horror overlays continue to go where how they are now (or were), two to three years from now, the regular attenders will grow tired of it; it will only have marginally long wait for maybe an hour and a half before it dwindles down to ten or fifteen minutes while everything else has ninety or one hundred-twenty minute waits throughout the nights. Once the general public finally gets the message that House of Horrors will always be the same crap every year, it will no longer be a crowd-eater; they will have to find a make-up venue for it. This brings me to another suggestion I have:

Have a haunted house in the tram garage right behind the CityWalk theater and by Curious George parking. That would also be a great remedy for the sound stage house that we will probably not get in a long, long, time, if ever. HHN Hollywood has always been lacking a warehouse/sound stage haunted house to allow spacious sets and special effects to be used (Like maybe wind or rain from Orlando's Forsaken). Yeah, it would be a looooooooong walk over there but it would really increase park capacity; they could have people enter by WaterWorld. I can see this maybe two or thre years from now when people are growing sick of HoH, like I said earlier.

a maze wont fit in there, all mazes themselfs are in a queue and need some for the maze, just cuz its a empty building dont mean you can shove a maze in there especialy one that is basicly all steps like castle theater and the fact that they're outdated realy dont mean anything in the terms of that show Im usre theres a fair ammount of people who know who they are I know the first year they returned alot of people didnt know until the show but found out afterwards, but the show has become populer with HHN go-ers (noticed I didnt say fans) cuz the show realy does not represent or focus on Bill and Ted and this is the reason it survived song long on both coasts it focuses on pop culture, recent, Sexy Women and Men, and the populer music of the year which no matter what is gonna outstage Bill and Ted every year, I remember the first year bill and ted came back people we're ,ore WTF!?!? leaving the theater and what not but year after year the audiance got it more, and now when Bill and Ted come out everyone cheers, and everybody laughs, and everybody sings, I can get you dont like it not every gonna like it alot of people in orlando dont like Bill & Ted but its a hit with the crowds and is fresh every year so theres more to do around Universal, and trust me you dont even wanna know what they tryed to compete with the hanging with before Bill & Ted that was just wrong!

to prove Grindhouse's point that people still love Bill and Ted in how the audience acts, here's the video I took for the finale of the final show on closing night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju07R9Os0Dc&feature=feedu

Does it sound like the crowd think it's outdated to you? ;)

"Harold and Kumar go to Halloween Horror Nights"? I love that!!!

"Harroreen Hor--Harroreen Hor--Ugh! Knott's berry Farm!"

You know, since the lower lot wil b eaten up for transformers, I think a good make-up location would be in the tram garage by Curious George. HHN has always been lacking a good warehouse/SS type setting to allow spacious sets, and proper lighting and effects. This would fill the void of the SS house that we will probably never get They could enter the house and hav the overflow in the WaterWorld queue and have the queue snake all the way from there to the parking garage. It would be a looooong walk, sure, but it would REALLY increase park capacity since the WW venue has been shut off for the past three years. What do you guys think?

"Harroreen Hor--Harroreen Hor--Ugh! Knott's berry Farm!"

You know, since the lower lot wil b eaten up for transformers, I think a good make-up location would be in the tram garage by Curious George. HHN has always been lacking a good warehouse/SS type setting to allow spacious sets, and proper lighting and effects. This would fill the void of the SS house that we will probably never get They could enter the house and hav the overflow in the WaterWorld queue and have the queue snake all the way from there to the parking garage. It would be a looooong walk, sure, but it would REALLY increase park capacity since the WW venue has been shut off for the past three years. What do you guys think?

has Murdy said anything about the Mummy venue yet? or do we pretty much have to wait till Transformers open?

has Murdy said anything about the Mummy venue yet? or do we pretty much have to wait till Transformers open?

I talked to Murdy about that on closing night, and he said that he really is not sure what's going to happen on the lower lot; he says that it's all up to the fire codes' decisions.

^I'm afraid to say this as this will more than likely trigger speculation prematurely, but he did say that Rob invited Murdy to the set of Lords of Salem. Rob said that he REALLY wanted to do a Lords of Salem maze.

Back to the whole "Make-up venue" issue, Murdy said that no matter what there will pretty much HAVE to be six haunted houses from here on out; the GP will be expecting that. Even if we do have to give up the Mummy venue, there should be a make-up venue for it.

That's it.

^I'm afraid to say this as this will more than likely trigger speculation prematurely, but he did say that Rob invited Murdy to the set of Lords of Salem. Rob said that he REALLY wanted to do a Lords of Salem maze.

That's it.

thata Awsome well so we dont get into Spec too early all Ill say is I realy hope this comes to fruitation

Wow, that's no surprise. I kinda got the clue with all the random "Lords of Salem" posters in HotC.