Team SCREAM 2012

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this to be the year we get a SCREAM maze?

• Yes, if it's only based on the entire SCREAM franchise
    • Yes, if it's only based on SCRE4M
    • No, I never want to see Ghostface again because it was a terrible idea in the first place
  2. 2. Do think that SCREAM will ever get a second chance to shine at HHN?

• Yes
    • No

Can we have an option of 'No, I never want to see Ghostface again because it was a terrible idea in the first place'?

Placing Ghosface in the Terror Tram was a terrible idea. Placing him in his own maze is a differnent story.

P.S

I know what you're going to say next: "Scream lacks the environment that Trick 'r Treat (or any other movies for that matter) lacks..."

It makes sense since Scream 1 and 4 are set in a suburban neighborhood, but keep in mind that the creative team can make an original location (just like the asylum scene in '09's Halloween maze). For example, one can create a scenario where Ghostface wreaks havoc in Woodsboro High.

And even without an original location, picking up some elements from the entire franchise can also work.

Let me throw some ideas out to show you:

1. Casey Becker's House (Scream 1)

2. Stu Macher's Party (S1)

3. Stab Premier (S2)

4. Sidney's Nightmare (S3)

5. Movie Studio (S3)

6. Props Basement (S3)

7. Jenny and Marnie's deleted crime scene (S4)

8. Stabathon (S4)

See? There's clearly plenty of environments that can work with Scream.

Edited by iLuvStabWounds

Ghostface on the Terror Tram was a GREAT idea! ... It was just terribly executed... from the story, on tram video and then even the worse the path.

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

And other than Murdy saying he's been disappointed in it so far, I haven't seen him say a single thing about making up for it or that he even wants to.

He said he'd improve on the idea but I hear it's just gotten worse by taking out the mini maze. How does taking out the one single thing that made it even 1% kinda like Scream/Stab make it better?

It's just one giant form of creative neglect that it's obvious that none of the creators are passionate about. I understand not digging the movies or thinking they're not worthy of being at the event but at least do it right for the fans. I mean, if you're gonna be doing it anyway at least go 100% for it so you're not sitting around doing something you hate. The final product shows very little enthusiasm and I hate to even say it but little effort.

For example, the NOES remake was a giant piece of crap but that maze was done wonderfully as if there was passion thrown into it.

I don't know what the deal was - - passion, budget, time constraints, etc. but this is one of the reasons why the event needs multiple creative directors so nothing gets the short end of the stick, from shows to SZs to the Terror Tram and to the mazes including the HoH.

SCREAM + Terror Tram = Fail!

I'm sorry DTH, but I have to disagree with you about a Scream-themed terror being a great idea. Placing Ghostface on the TT was a lazy attempt to slap a popular franchise's name on the ads. The tram had nothing to do with Scream or Scream 4. And Scream deserved more than just being placed in the TT, it deserved its own maze!

The TT didn't have any iconic kills and it made it seem like any other "dead teenager" movie in how they represented it.

What could you expect from the Terror Tram with Murdy and co. anyways? They struck gold with '09 but after that it was the same recycled crap!

Well...

1) With a good story, it would've been good

2) For it to involve Scream, it would've been good

3) For it to involve Stab, it would've been good

4) If it was represented more throughout the route, it would've been good

5) If a maze was also made, that would've been better

In fact, I think if there was a maze and if this year's TT as it is now, without any changes, were to be in the same year, I probably wouldn't be caring so much about how TT was so horrible. Because than in some way, Scream would be represented as it is in a maze and then it would be represented (albeit, horribly) in an original story. The two would compliment each other in some way and use Ghostface as a definitive icon. Problem is, Scream is there for just the TT in it's horrible form and it's just sitting there useless at this point. So sad :(

^^ I wouldn't have been complaining this much if Scream had been made into maze, so you got point there.

I guess I got a little carried away back there! :P Well, it is a shame that Scream couldn't be made into a maze this year, I can only hope that it'll be made into a maze next year... that's if Scream ever gets a second chance. :(

Do I think Scream will get a second chance at HHN? Yes. But in 2012? No. Not while Murdy's at the helm at least. He's not gung-ho enough about the project to fight for it. And honestly, I'd rather have someone who is passionate about it to do it anyway. I don't think he "gets it" with all his complaints in lack of scariness, environments and etc, which MAY be true but it's like he doesn't want to take liberties to fix those things like he does with all of his other projects (for example, all of Jigsaw's traps weren't in his warehouse, there never was an extensive asylum scene in Halloween, the murder ride is 1/3 of the maze for HOTC when it's only in the movie for about 2 minutes). I know he would be passionate about it if he were to be willing to go the extra mile and work on ideas to better it for maze form, like he would most definitely have to if there ever was an Exorcist maze considering ALL of the action occurs in ONE room. But we're not seeing that; we're just seeing excuses. Either he needs to wake up, bite the bullet and do something extraordinary with it like he has been for everything else or we just need to wait for someone who will gladly do it and do it right.

The Terror Tram we see this year is from someone who obviously doesn't get it and we don't need another one of those happening... but sooner or later it's gonna need to happen because they're running out of horror movies that fit the criteria and who knows how the original mazes will test on the surveys this year.

If Murdy is reading this, I say come back with Scream and come back HARD. Put all your passion into it like you did with Alice Cooper this year. You let not only the fans of Scream down but also the fans of the Terror Tram/HHN down with a very poor version. Get Wes Craven involved if that's the needed incentive. Make up scenes that YOU would think make it scary. Make the killer much more vicious and daunting. If it's just Scream 4, then you can do it because I KNOW it can be done.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love scream to come back as a maze. I didn't think scream got to have the chance to show what it could really become! Also, ik this isn't scream, but speaking of horror movie properties, the hills have eyes could take over the tt it definitely works in my opinion. I even have a full story to put into the TT.

100% agree with Trev here. To me Ghostface is dumb... I mean the movies are fun, but I put them in the same category as Final Destination. I may get a jump or two, some laughs, and some good kills but there will be NO SCARES! I like Scream, but Ghosface is GOOFY! Also to whoever brought up La Llorena the reason it worked as a house and not as a scare zone is because she is scary and her story is VERY dark and has dark environments. Scream has NONE OF THE ABOVE!

^ Aww c'mon, give Ghostface a little more love.

Ghostface can be freakin' scary at times. Look at Casey Becker and Olivia Morris, no "goofy" serial killer could be capable of inflicting such brutality! Putting aside the whole satirical, self-aware aspect of the franchise, the scariest thing about Scream is that it shows the darker aside of Horror fandom and just how far one particular fan can take it, which imho is very unsettling and dark in its own way. Furthermore, the fact that the Ghostface killers have a spawned a cult-like following with copycat killers and that there's is more than one killer adds to the dread of knowing that you're never safe, no matter where you are; whether you're in Woodsboro or Hollywood, Ghostface is there on the prowl.

Sure you can argue that Scream lacks the environment and scares that most other horror films have (namely films like Insidious and Evil Dead, which would make excellent mazes btw), but that's the beauty of HHN, they can improvise! Case in point: My Bloody Valentine - Be Mine 4 Ever (2009). Harry Warden, aka the Miner, paled in comparison to the more notorious slashers such as Michael Myers, Jigsaw, and even fuckin' Chucky(!), but somehow HHN pulled a surpisingly decent and scary maze after they added more to what the actual movie lacked: Scares! So the same could be true for Ghostface if Uni emphasized more on the killer's brutality and improvised on the environments.

With that being said, Ghostface deserves recognition for being a modern icon of horror and redefining horror itself. When horror films became wildly popular in the mid and late 80s, nearly every horror film fell victim to the stereotypical "stalk 'n slash" formula that made Friday the 13th popular. Eventually every horror film, including the Halloween franchise, followed that same agonizingly predictible formula until Scream gave a fresh and smarter aspect of slasher films that had been tainted by the cliche-ridden lull of slashers films that were prevalent prior to Scream's release. Essentially, Scream revived and gave life to horror films just when they started to decline, that itself is icon-worthy material.

Edited by iLuvStabWounds

Yup, agree with everything just said.

If Ghostface doesn't have the environments or isn't scary enough, MAKE IT SCARY. It's that simple. I'm tired of that argument! So many things could be implemented as well that don't have to be Ghostface popping out also. They watch other horror films in these movies; why not throw in a Michael Myers randomly? Crime scene Maureen Prescott, ghost Maureen Prescott, the mansion's basement sculptures come to life, the fraternity hazing costumes/Sidney's play costumes, moving corpses. The freakin' works. This franchise has so much to play with. All it takes is some originality and imagination.

Have to agree with the ghost. Ghost face runs after his victims like he is in high heels with a robe that looks frilly and effeminate. It doesn't help that GF is typically portrayed by a lanky, wiry actor. At times I am expecting a pratfall or comedic effect. I won't even mention the mask! The movies themselves held my interest, just not a top tier horror franchise. The Tram did not help my impression of the waning icon.

Ghostface in the MOVIES may seem that way to you. But Ghostface in a maze COULD be changed to something much more daunting. As I was walking the Tram last year, a 7 foot HULKY Ghostface walked passed me and I nearly shivered, as did everyone in my group. We didn't care much for the other Ghostfaces, in a manner of presence. But if they get GOOD scareactors to portray them in a maze, as they say in the movies, "all bets are off."

IN EXAMPLE. And this is a real life example that involved me. I absolutely LOATHED the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Thought it was the biggest flaming shit ever and the new Freddy looked, sounded and was completely shite. I didn't think it would work well for a maze at all due to matching up with that performance by Mr. Rorschach. However, in the maze, I came across a few Freddy's who were down right SCARY in the way they moved and were built. Their presence was unbeleivable and it made the maze one of my favorites of that year.

NOES: Never Sleep Again is a PRIME example of how a shitty movie can be turned into a GREAT maze.

Ghostface in the MOVIES may seem that way to you. But Ghostface in a maze COULD be changed to something much more daunting. As I was walking the Tram last year, a 7 foot HULKY Ghostface walked passed me and I nearly shivered, as did everyone in my group. We didn't care much for the other Ghostfaces, in a manner of presence. But if they get GOOD scareactors to portray them in a maze, as they say in the movies, "all bets are off."

INCLUDE EXAMPLE. And this is a real life example that involved me. I absolutely LOATHED the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake.

DTH, your points are valid as I too enjoyed just about every maze at HHN, even the HOH overlays. I don't think a Scream maze would disappoint; its just a weak film representation and poor Tram showing tips my desire towards another property or more interesting icon. Aaaaand the stilt Freddy from the maze you mentioned was an awesome effect! (The "reimaging" of NOES must have Robert England rolling around in his LAZ-E-BOY)

Not that this should be taken in "finality", but it does not look promising for the future of SCREAM at Hollywood Horror Nights:

@HorrorNights Would you consider bringing SCREAM back?

10:08 PM - 16 Feb 12via web ·

17 Feb Universal Halloween@HorrorNights

@ Probably not

Edited by AsylumSB

I know he's said that before but that was just after 2011's run ended. I figured he would've at least let up by now, especially since he's talking to producers right now to get hold of more rights for this year and he could benefit from being in the good graces and seem excited about any opportunity. This shows us he didn't care about Scream at all. He never once objected to bringing back Friday, Nightmare, Saw or Chainsaw and ALWAYS left the door open for any possibilities on that. Answers were often "it's possible" or "I would like to." This is basically a straight up "no" from Murdy. He can't even redeem it for last year after we longed for it for so long? And then for him just to very half ass-edly throw it on the Terror Tram? And then to not even think of the usage of it happening ever again? I feel a bit offended. :(

Yup, Evil Dead and Scream are my two tops of all time. Evil Dead would be a nice substitute but I'm more than positive it'll be the f****** remake. So at the end of the day, StabWounds, we're never going to get a legit Scream or Evil Dead maze :(

What makes you say that about Evil Dead? H2 came out in 2009 and we got a house on the original Halloween the same year.