Grime's EP Review! (Some spoilers)

Grime

Ok so it's really late and I have to go to work early in the morning so I'm going to try and keep this brief. I will post another review on closing night as well. This is merely my first impressions.

Houses

Saws n Steam - Very cool house. Lots of detail and effects. Lots of water (if you have an expensive camera, be sure to put it in a bag before entering this house. It will get wet). I especially loved all of the gruesome tools. The "aquarium" room is awesomely gross, as are the meat compressor things squishing water out of the meat. OH! And the entrance with the wall covered saw blades that move toward you. This house is not as loud as I thought it would be, but it's still up there. The scares were pretty good. The costumes were meh, with the exception of the scuba guy under the waterfall. That was awesome. Overall - 7/10

Bloodengutz - Another "fun" house in the Disaster queue. Lots and lots of gore here. Decapitated Santa? Check. Full human body roasted and tied up like a turkey? Check. Fucking ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND GEORGE WASHINGTON IN THE WHITE HOUSE WITH A BOMB? YOU BET YOUR SWEET ASS. Not to mention the elves that seemed to be ripped directly from Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer, lol. The scares were pretty bad here though, it was the set that really shined. Overall - 6/10

The Thing - Holy shit this house had some amazing effects. Aliens popping out of the wall including a goddamn huge one coming out of the ceiling. The scares were up there and the effects used, props, costumes were all pretty good. Overall - 7/10

Nightingales - This was my most anticipated house, and it had a lot to live up to in that respect. But damn did it deliver. May very well end up in my top 3 houses of all time. This house was amazing. The costumes were top notch, the feeling of being in a trench was FANTASTIC. The facade. Oh my god. The facade is gorgeous. What really got me was the sound. The sound of the war going on above you, the soldiers screaming and the gunfire going off combined with the lights used was phenomenal. It really felt like there was a huge battle going on up there, but you're so deep in the trench that you could never tell. Guys, if you're in this house, do not let up on the energy. You all kicked so much ass tonight. I went through on both sets just to make sure it wasn't just a specific cast, but both casts were very consistent. Overall - 10/10

Winters Night - I don't remember a whole lot about this house other than how goddamn cold it was. Seriously, you can see your own breath it's that cold. Felt good to get out of the heat though for a bit. Anyway, the costumes were beautiful from what I saw, the scares were very generic though. The sets were also very well crafted. I'll have to hit this one a few more times to absorb it all, but overall - 8/10

The Forsaken - I'm going to be brief with this. The first few rooms, the scares were great but the sets were VERY boring. About halfway through, that flipflopped into scareactors just standing completely still, but on beautiful sets. I hate glowing eyes. It's very cheesy to me and the masks seem generic. 2 rooms really caught my attention though. The HUGE room with the stairs and the walkway with the crooked floor. Those were both very cool in their own respects. How do they get wheelchairs through the latter though? Hm. Anyway, overall - 7/10

The In Between - This was a trip. No, really. This house is trippy as hell. Lots of lasers and other places where it feels like the entire set is moving on its own. The whirling portal tunnel is in this house. And there is an entire room full of bright multicolored yarn strewn all over the place. Very fun house. One minute you're admiring the scenery and the next you've got 2 scareactors in your face, just as bright as said scenery. I plan on hitting this totally wasted next time just to see what it's capable of lol. Overall - 9/10

Nevermore - Ah the long awaited Poe house. This thing actually hit a 75 minute wait at one point last night. Anyway, the rooms were beautiful and reflected key scenes in his most popular stories very well. My only "real" complaint is that the pendulum seemed a little janky, but that's fine. Not a whole lot of scares going on (except one of the ravens that got me good). This house had a huge "creepy" factor though. Overall - 8/10

Scarezones

7 - Only got to see this when they were first coming out because of the rain. I only saw their costumes, which I liked. But it would be unfair to judge so I'm leaving it unrated.

Your Luck Has Run Out - Didn't see this.

Grown Evil - Probably my most favorite scare zone this year. Beautiful costumes and very entertaining stilt walkers. I love the aviary feeling, lots of bats/owls/birds. Kinda sucks because I would love to get some pictures in this zone but there is NO lighting. Overall - 8/10

Canyon of Dark Souls - Meh. Set and costumes were pretty boring. It was a nice attempt, but it hasn't really payed off if you ask me. To me it just feels like a huge cluster trying to get through that tiny "canyon" and the stilt walkers are going to get hurt. We'll see how this one evolves. But for now, overall - 5/10

Nightmaze - What happened here. I was expecting lots of bright crazy lights along with the "maze" part but all this is, is a dark alley filled with a few walls that move occasionally. There is really no "maze." It's just like "oh hey I'm walking through this dark alley. Oh, why is that wall slowly moving toward me? It's ok, I'll just walk around it and continue." There's not feeling of being lost or trapped. In 90% of the maze, I could see the other side perfectly fine. The scareactors just kind of growl at you as they move their walls. There is absolutely nothing going on here. Put some crazy trippy light effects in here with some better music and add 5-10 more walls. Overall - 2/10

Acid Assault - This is what Apocalypse should have been. The set is awesome and the building crumbling effect really made me go "holy shit" from San Francisco coming into the New York area. The scareactors are on the ball here as well. Great job guys. This would score higher if it wasn't generic, but it's not bad at all. Overall - 7/10

Shows

I did not see either of the shows tonight.

Event summary

The scarezones pretty much suck this year. I'm sorry to be harsh, but every year has had at least one scarezone that really shined. I'm not really feeling it in any of them this year. Grown Evil and Acid Assault are pretty good, but there is nothing with the "Horrorwood", "Escueleto" or "20 Years" feeling we've had the past couple of years. Nothing that really stands out. I feel like the houses are all pretty good this year. I hate to say it, but even after the first 4 or 5 houses I was feeling pretty bored. We'll see. Overall I give this year a 6/10 for now. Hopefully that changes as I experience things more than just a few times.

All criticism is welcome. I don't give a damn. Goodnight.

so the scarezones suck big butts this year?

that's just... great.... <_< im sure they might change some stuff but if this is the case then im really disappointed and not as exited now,

hopefully the houses will make up for it

I said it before and I will say it again, every year you get Amazing scarezones or amazing houses, I don't think I've been to a year that it had both, i mean in general seems like some years the houses are better overall, and some years the scarezones are better overall, :(