HHN Hollywood X (2011) Speculation

Somebody behind the website is going to get his butt fired along with the kid who sneaked into the Alice Cooper maze...

Nobody better get one of my idols fired from his job! I'll be pissed! The guy who let his friend into the alice cooper maze on the other hand....by all means fire him....

John clearly had nothing to do with this, as evidenced by his now constant "Scary Spider/no comment" tweets. Not worried about John on this, he's clearly not to blame. That being said, IF this IS official, good call guys, called it here first. THE OFFICIAL LISTS CAN BEGIN!

So we predicted all 6 mazes? Damn... that sure beats the hell out of 2/5 that we had last year (since nobody thought Elm, 13th & Vampyre were coming). I think we joked about Elm and 13... but never seruiously considered it. We were sure Saw was coming back and I mentioned that House of 1000 Corpses would be coming since Rob Zombie was involved with the short film contest.

But damn... 6/6... who needs a PR? Just read the forums and stay up to date on speculation :)

Ladies and gentlemen: The last maze has been quietly announced according to the website. The last maze is...

La Llorona: Villa de Almas Perdidas.

That's it people. We officially know all of the mazes. Speculation will remain open until the scarezones are announced. After they are announced, I'll give everybody the chance to make some closing comments, and then the thread will be locked for archives.

I guess this means La Llorona's scarezone will come back. Great. More babies spitting in my face. Hopefully they'll make it better this year but with the lack of a Western facade...that's going to be quite challenging.

WHen did this happen? Murdy is talking about the PR being this week or next

We predicted more than half of them before the clues (Hostel, Scream, HOTC Return, The Thing) while some were considered (La Llorona, The Wolfman) and one we found out directly from the clues (WTMN).

Oh and to finish off the "Dream Team" is actor Diego Luna... as good of an actor he is, in no way is that contender for Dream Team haha

HHN 2011 - - From the minds of Alice Cooper, Eli Roth, Rob Zombie and... Diego Luna...

Via the Press Release from Shock Till You Drop:

La Llorona, the fearful story of melancholy and murder that has terrified Mexican and Latin American children for generations, will have an expanded presence at this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights®” event as Universal Studios Hollywood recruits Mexico-based film star Diego Luna as a creative consultant to design the all-new terror-filled maze, “La Llorona: Villa De Almas Perdidas.”

Diego Luna said: “Like all Mexican children, I grew up with the story of ‘La Llorona’ and I think it’s a tale with universal appeal. Story-telling is at the heart of all my work and I’m thrilled to have the chance to help present the great ‘La Llorona’ legend in a different kind of medium at the ‘Halloween Horror Nights’ event.”

My guess is Guillermo Del Toro wasn't answering their phone calls.

I'm already planning my closing statement on speculation. Just waiting for these scarezones to be announced. At this point, I'm REALLY excited to hear what the scarezones will be if they're anywhere as inspired as the maze lineup. Even if they're not, I can't possibly be mad with how great this year's line up is. But really though, HOTC is kinda sticking out as a sore thumb right now. It's not dragging the event down but I have a feeling that this year, it'll kinda just... be there, off in the corner and looking like a waste of valuable space for something new like everything else. As I said, I'm willing to give it one more try but with everything else on the platter, it just doesn't stack up to the competition. Ah, I don't wanna give too much of my final statement just yet but this is going to be a really exciting and new year. Can't believe how much different it's going to be from other years.

Oh and I guess my speculation on the countries/continent thing was correct since Antarctica has no countries. You can't fool me, Murdy!

3 continents, 4 countries outside of US.

North America [La Llorona, HOTC]

Antarctica [The Thing]

Europe [Hostel, WTMN & Wolfman]

Countries Outside of the US:

Mexico [La Llorona]

Slovakia [Hostel]

France [WTMN]

London [Wolfman]

....But really though, HOTC is kinda sticking out as a sore thumb right now. It's not dragging the event down but I have a feeling that this year, it'll kinda just... be there, off in the corner and looking like a waste of valuable space for something new like everything else. As I said, I'm willing to give it one more try but with everything else on the platter, it just doesn't stack up to the competition. Ah, I don't wanna give too much of my final statement just yet but this is going to be a really exciting and new year. Can't believe how much different it's going to be from other years.

I agree. It feels like it'll just be lost in the mix of all of the new mazes. That maze has a disadvantage in drawing the crowds not just because it's a repeat, but also where it's located. While Saw was a repeat last year, it was at least in a prime location that would catch the crowd's eye, therefore drawing everybody down there and rating it fairly high in the 2010 surveys. HoTC however has a disadvantage in terms of where it is located. The people who went in there last year will put that maze on the back burner until later in the night since it seems so out-of-the-way and do the "convenient" mazes first.

Another disadvantage for the fans like us is that we will go through new maze after new maze and then walk through a maze that we just saw last year...exactly the same the same thing. The fact that we're just going through a popular maze that we went through last year doesn't sound nearly as exciting as standing in front of a portal to an unfamiliar environment that will terrify us. Like you said, it's a shame because that space could have been used for something much better. The T2 queue, in my opinion, is by the best maze location. It's large, it provides a tall ceiling, and has enough space to allow a large facade. In a way, I look at it as more of a remedy for the sound stage maze. At least next year they'll put that space to better use by putting something fresh and new in there.

On the flip side, as much as I loathe Universal recycling a maze, I feel like it fits in with the line-up very well and makes the line-up look totally diverse. A colorful 3D maze, an arctic research facility, an old Mexican village, a nightmare involving an asylum and a French revolution scene, and a youth Hostel where people are tortured. Not only that, but it makes the event feel more hyped. I mean, who would pass up the opportunity to have the gruesome twosome at the event? Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper having their own mazes? That's sounds awesome! So in a way, I forgive the repeat this year since it make the line-up appear more interesting and diverse. That and the fact that I've only gone through HoTC once....though I've seen it several times on YouTube.

ahhhhhhh i been gone for kind of a while but i stayed updated on everything. Now im not gonna complain about HOTC because we have a awesome line up but i find it kind of funny how we got 5 new mazes and 1 repeat lol like murdy and his team couldnt make one more fresh maze to make it a truly brand new year.Sad to see speculation will be coming to a end soon but HHN starts in less than a month so that will keep me entertained :) I really dont think well be getting any SZ repeats besides maybe La llorona. I mean the SZ are always the one thing we always get that are new. Cant wait to check out the concept art, behind the Screams, commercial etc. Im MAD as shit to see we wont have a multi pass this year but hopefully theyll reconsider. La llorona ? eeeehhh ill give it another chance, dont disappoint me murdy

Edited by HorrorNights93

Actually, la llorona isnt getting a scarezone this year. Murdy confirmed it on twitter early. Id find it but im on my phone. Someone asked and the answer was a simpe no. Its also important to note that he said this la llorona is a different version than the one we saw last year

Home. I can now provide a bit more info and specifics:

@HorrorNights Will the La Llorona SZ return to go along with the maze?

No

@HorrorNights @tops23 i am very excited i hope it is scary!! Will la llorona look alike from the scarezone last year ? Or wil she look diff?

different, there are many different versions of the story

@HorrorNights did the SZ and Terror tram for la llorona do really well for it to be a maze this year? And will she return of TT this year?

Honestly, I wasn't happy with the sz but huge guest awareness, everyone wanted a maze. Won't be part of TT

All have to do with La Llorona but they all also have to do with the event in itself a bit as well. With this we know that we won't be getting a repeat scarezone. Why? Well, as you can see, Murdy didn't like the scarezone last year and probably didn't like the version of La Llorona he was working with. I'm actually really surprised he admitted to not liking it; that might be the first time I've heard him say he wasn't happy with something at the event. But with that in mind, I think he's making it a personal mission to one up what he did last year. And honestly, it won't be that hard. I thought the look of La Llorona looked really lame but I still kinda dug the areas she was in, just didn't think she meshed well with the rest of the TT. I just wish she looked more like she did in the poster (the BM copy, basically). This also confirms she won't also return to the TT.

So that's official news right there. La Llorona will exclusively be just a maze this year.

For those of you who missed it this morning, here's John's piece directed towards prospective producers.

"About to go into a marathon day of filming on the backlot for Terror Tram, serving as producer and co-director (directing the acting) Seems like a good time to continue tweeting tips for people who want to get into this biz, will focus on Producing today since I'm doing it. A producer is responsible for seeing the creative vision realized (in HHN's case, Chris and I's vision) within the parameters of budget. Producer is also responsible for the overall schedule, managing vendors, making deals, handling the legal aspects, pretty much everything. When decisions have to be made, the producer makes them. Have to be decisive, react quick because time truly equals money on any project. When decisions have to be made, the producer makes them. Have to be decisive, react quick because time truly equals money on any project. At its most basic level, a producer is a problem solver...and there are thousands of problems on a project of this size. Being a producer is like playing a high stakes game of "Whack-a-Mole" If a problem pops up, we whack it, then another pops up, etc. Most of what I'm doing at this stage is removing obstacles from my path. Your "Everybody's best friend and their worst nightmare" You can't just be a jerk, you have to positively motivate people to work hard for you and share your passion. That's the Best Friend part. Sometimes that doesn't work, that's the Worst Nightmare part. Not fun but sometimes necessary. Have to be thick-skinned, tough, relentless. Bottom line is the best laid plans often go astray. Learn from mistakes, take responsibility and above all OWN IT. Here's the key... I surround myself with talented people & companies that I trust. They always deliver and I'm extremely loyal to them. Work with good people. The film company I'm working with today, I've worked with for 15 years. They do all my film and video projects with me. They're the best. The principal\Director of that company started as an intern at Universal right out of college. I quickly realized he was extremely talented. Eventually he left Universal and started his own company, now he has a production company\bungalow on the Universal backlot. Working with me, he's directed all sorts of people...Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, Whoopi Goldberg, Jimmy Fallon...all for the Studio Tour. When your working with celebs, you always treat them like what they are...people. Never act like a fan boy, they get plenty of that. Never ask for an autograph, pose for a picture, try to pitch them your ideas unrelated to the project they're there to do. Be professional. I am a HUGE Alice Cooper fan but when I meet him face to face in a couple weeks, that part of me gets put aside. So many things are asked of celebs, be respectful of their time. Be respectful of their privacy, they don't have much of that. Sometimes that approach pays off and you become friends, sometimes its just a job. You have to be cool with either. Above all, don't BS them. They get A LOT of that. Always shoot straight and deliver on what you promise. That builds respect and that's key. Hope that helps. Now its time to get to set and run the circus. 31 actors, big crew, tons of set ups. Gonna be a crazy day on the backlot."

Actually, la llorona isnt getting a scarezone this year. Murdy confirmed it on twitter early. Id find it but im on my phone. Someone asked and the answer was a simpe no. Its also important to note that he said this la llorona is a different version than the one we saw last year

well heres a relief for me. I also thought the la llorona looked corny but the poster version looked neat so if they can pull off a scareactor looking like that :o oh boy! Im also glad to hear the SZ wont be returning and its good to see murdy was 100% honest about it. Hopefully this version will be amped more than last years. Im actually beginning to look at the maze in a more positive and exciting experience

Edited by HorrorNights93

I really wish I would've known about this shoot on the backlot today. I would've auditioned in a heartbeat. :(

*sighs* AND WTF IS THE LAG ON TICKETS?! AND WITH A WEBSITE?! LIKE C'MON, IT AIN'T THAT HARD!!#!#jf3rugb43ier

Edited by DTH316