ORIGINAL Universal Monster Houses?

Ok Im a total HHN freak but Im pretty new to it only attending 4 times all recently.

Has HHN ever done houses or scare zones based on the ORIGINAL Uni monster like the Wolfman, Frank, Mummy, Drac, etc? I know they did the Wolfman and Frank and Drac a couple years ago btu have they ever stay true to the original movies from the 40's? I think it would be cool to get some Bela, Lon and Borris look-a-likes or something...

Ok Im a total HHN freak but Im pretty new to it only attending 4 times all recently.

Has HHN ever done houses or scare zones based on the ORIGINAL Uni monster like the Wolfman, Frank, Mummy, Drac, etc? I know they did the Wolfman and Frank and Drac a couple years ago btu have they ever stay true to the original movies from the 40's? I think it would be cool to get some Bela, Lon and Borris look-a-likes or something...

Welcome to the club then, lol.

Way back when, during the original Fright Nights and the following HHN, they focused solely on the Universal Monsters. I've seen clips of the original Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, even the Creature from the Black Lagoon all having their own segments of haunted houses. In the beginning, that was the hook: See the Universal Monsters, live.

As such, the appeal with the general public isn't what it was so we will probably not see something similar unless the theme is purely nostalgia-based.

I don't think using the classic monsters in their original forms would be especially effective for scares. Frankenstein and Dracula were effective 60 or 70 years ago because they were brand new and presented something that really nobody saw every day. The classic appearances have since become cliche, so having them appear from a boohole would have roughly the same effect as a guy in a cheap Halloween costume jumping out of a closet at a bad backyard haunt. Despite the criticisms leveled at 2009, modernizing the monsters certainly made the houses far better than they would have been. Hell, Frankenstein had his true intended form as a creature made from rotted body parts roughly sewn together, as opposed to Karloff's "tall, pasty man with a bad haircut" look.

One thing that might still work today is the original Phantom of the Opera. Many modern Phantoms have tried to play up the romance between him and Christine by making him generally a very attractive man (Gerard Butler, anyone?) with a mild skin problem. I've gone to school with people more deformed than him who had more friends than myself. Lon Chaney's Eric may not have been some terrifying monster covered in gore, but he certainly didn't look "mildly burned". He is something that would seriously shock people if they ran into him by accident.

On that note, I think that's a good way to determine the scariness of your particular costume/makeup: if someone who walked around the corner accidentally ran into your scareactor and screamed and ran, you've got something effective.

Edited by Cody

Hell, Frankenstein had his true intended form as a creature made from rotted body parts roughly sewn together, as opposed to Karloff's "tall, pasty man with a bad haircut" look.

Easy there, pal. While you may not feel that Karloff's iteration of the Monster is scary, you can't argue that it's iconic and has proven to be very, very popular. I doubt we'll still be seeing imagery of the HHN Monster in another 80 years, so have some respect. ;)

I don't disagree with your point about the "traditional" Universal Monsters making less-than-effective scareactors in a house, but there are a LOT more creatures in that pantheon than you may realize. I'm sure there are some character creations that might still prove startling in this day and age.

seeing how Legendary truth, interstellar terror, and other houses in years past have not been scary, I really think bringing back the original monsters could be a good idea,

I mean, they could make One house based on them, giving each monster 2-3 rooms,

yeah sure they won't scare you but, with the right sets and the right scares, i could see them being scary even, if the rooms of the house were really dark, and the scares were well hidden I could see the original monsters scaring people,

and even if they didn't scare anybody, it wouldn't be the first time that HHN makes a house that doesn't scare anyone,

Edited by black7mask

Easy there, pal. While you may not feel that Karloff's iteration of the Monster is scary, you can't argue that it's iconic and has proven to be very, very popular. I doubt we'll still be seeing imagery of the HHN Monster in another 80 years, so have some respect. ;)

I don't disagree with your point about the "traditional" Universal Monsters making less-than-effective scareactors in a house, but there are a LOT more creatures in that pantheon than you may realize. I'm sure there are some character creations that might still prove startling in this day and age.

Iconic and popular and perhaps intimidating if large enough, but the appearence isn't particularly frightening to anybody in today's day and age simply because he's not that unusual to us. Lon Chaney's Phantom would freak you out on the street, but Karloff's Monster doesn't look all that different from the guy manning the checkout counter at Wal-Mart now. Not that Wal-Mart itself isn't full of terrifying creatures.....

Like I said in my previous post, there are certainly classic designs that would work well. The Phantom is one of them and possibly the original Wolfman. But the sheer proliferation of the classic appearances has made them a bit "blah" today, a world where similar designs to the Creature From The Black Lagoon and Imhotep have been seen in crappy made-for-TV movies and cheap Halloween costumes. When it takes mind-bending designs and almost obscenely disgusting death scenes to get a crawl through a patron's stomach, the classic designs just don't do much.

good stuff guy thanks! I guess I was in a more nostalgic mind set when I made this thread.... I think a house with the orig Uni monster would be cool. Maybe not a "jump in your face" scary house.... but I guess a look into the past and why Uni's HHN is here to begin with.... I think it would be pretty cool! I bet 90% of the people going through the HHN houses had never actually seen the Wolfman or Frankenstein... oh well... I guy can dream!!!

• 3 months later...