HHN 2010: SAW: Game On!

DTH316

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITA...It was over a 100 degrees yesterday....Combine the overwhelming smell (and the temperature), I thought I was going to pass out or puke. I was very disappointed with this house...Same ole,same ole. I don't know how the scareactors stood the heat and smell. I give them props.

OMG I cant even imagine.

But at least we have 2 mazes with cold rooms this year. I just wanted to stop and stay in there. I bet all the scareactors are fighting to get those rooms lol.

I used to be a huge fan of the Saw franchise and still enjoy the later entries quite a bit. I loved last year's Saw: Game On. If it wasn't for Halloween being my favorite horror film of all time ,it easily would have been my favorite maze. So believe me when I saw that this was balls. Really poor stuff. The changes were pointless and actually made the maze worse. The talent seemed off, and the smell. I have never been bothered by scents in a maze before. I always figure its good for immersion and will be over in the next room. But goddamn. Holy shit. This was terrible For almost 7 minutes straight I could hardly breathe. I don't think I was even slightly scared through the whole maze, I just wanted to get out of there. And the water dripping in the wire trap maze soaked me. I think it was on too high. The flesh trap shouldn't have been there, the pig trap seemed phoned in and while I love the rack trap and looked impressive, I missed it as I was ushered through the room as it reset.

If you are going to skip one maze this year, make it Saw: Game On. Especially if you did last year's Game Over. This was a massive disappointment to me and I really really really hope they don't bring this shit back for a Junior year. Without the intense smells, this still would have been repetitive and worse than last year, but with them it's virtually impossible to enjoy.

F

Do you really think it's worse than Vampyre?

Hmmm... I went easier on Vampyre because it's in the house of horrors, themed on vampires, and preteen girls ruined my experience. If they fix the smell and the scareactors act a little more on point (I really did find them to be working harder in Vampyre), it will be better. But I think what did it for me was the enthusiasm of the actors in Vampyre over Saw. Although I'm sure they were dying having to deal with the smell, so props to them. I will let you know definitively next trip. Also, I just don't see the point of Universal doing this maze again. Something had to be in the House of Horrors and no matter what it was I probably wouldn't have liked it. But something great and new could have gone in the lower lot venue. But instead they went the cheap route and recycled Saw.

Edited by 00nightcrawler

I'm down for Saw: Junior Year as long as it's placed in a new venue and has ALL NEW traps. I know that's odd for me to say but I just want to see more of those traps come to life without having to go to Frightdome or some garbage.

Please DTH....don't give Murdy any ideas. :(

Well I mean, if we get an extra maze next year to a total of 6 mazes, I think that's where we start having room for at least one repeat (and this is suggesting if the HOH actually gets a proper overlay). In a new venue so the layout would have to be completely changed and with all new traps, it would feel like a completely different maze. Just change the feel of it, the structure/idea. Maybe instead of going trap to trap, it can work as an actual maze and work on being suspenseful, dreadful and creepy instead of fast, quick jump scares and kinetic energy. For example, in Saw 1 where Zepp is in the closet or the taking pictures in the dark sequence. Take the more dark moments and get all new traps and you have yourself something that doesn't even feel like a repeat (unlike Freddy and Jason who were plopped into their same old venue).

I like your idea DTH, and if this happened for its sophomore year instead of having it for a junior year, then I wouldn't mind since there wouldn't be any other properties to "Strike the iron while its hot" this year. whether we get a sixth maze or not, I really don't want Saw back...period. I want something new.

Wow. After these reviews, I'm really feeling no reason to re-visit this maze. Plus- I HATE the crap smell that gets used. I'm all for other smells to enhance the setting(pine, leaves, rot, chicken, whatever!) but that one is so putrid that it's a complete distraction and makes the entire maze unpleasant. It's not scary. It's not funny. It's just annoying and keeps you from enjoying the maze, being immersed, or getting scared. Ugh. So frustrating!

My second time through was vastly improved. Actors were more on point, smell was toned way down. That said, the new traps still feel out of place except for the rack and replace some of my favorite scenes from last years maze. But if you have the time, you might as well seeing as how it is no longer painfully nauseating.

I had the displeasure of going in this maze alone once.. it's a lot scarier when you're alone! When I say alone, I don't just mean without friends.. I mean THE MAZE WAS EMPTY. Ooh, those scareactors got me good in every corner!

Compared to last year, I only saw a couple of new traps. So.. that was a disappointment. Still, the maze has it's pretty good scares and I can appreciate that. ^^

For those of you saying that the layout and room design of the maze is exactly the same, you should pull out you old videos. As someone who spent 8 hours a night walking that maze last year I found myself nearly walking into a few walls. Of course due to space limitations, the maze is nearly the same general shape as it was when it was Chainsaw. It will always be that way. However from the first room the maze is different. The second room is nearly rotated and redecorated. Barbed wire is the same with an added waterfall. Bathroom -same, hallway completely different and scare relocated. Pound of flesh complete change taking up 2 old rooms. Freezer room same -but can you blame them its the most popular scene. Watertrap and Needle room are the same from there the only thing in the same place is the Question mark guy. I think the redo is worth while considering that most haunts will not even bother updating a maze early than 5 years in. The scares of course rely on the scareactors in this maze, my visit was so so. Timing is very important in this maze and it seems the pigs have been reduced. The Questionmark girl seemed lackluster. I talked with her and found out she hadnt seen the movie and wasnt sure what was going on. I politely mentioned she had got some bad reviews. Her response, "Well I dont take this as serious as you do" So you can take that as you like.