Has Social Media Changed HHN?

So I have been thinking about this topic for a while and finally decided to make the thread. So the question is, has social media changed HHN? The answer is yes in my opinion. But the better question is has it changed it for better or worse? Let’s discuss it. 

Now for me, I have been posting on HHN forums since 2006, way back on IOACentral. Shoutout to anyone that was on there, but I have been on this forum since the beginning. All of us have posted what we have wanted to see. I’m not on the forums as much as I used to be, but I haven’t seen any ideas implemented for the actual event. Now, with social media I have. For some reason, back in 2006-2010 nobody talked about HHN. (Unless you were on the forums) but now on Facebook, there is a huge discussion page that people post regularly on. I didn’t see this thing blow up until 2015. 

So you might ask, what’s my evidence that social media has changed the event? Here it is.

The year is 2015, HHN 25. Jack has a show and Chance is in it. She was awesome, I have wanted her to be an icon since 2007. But all the “lol omg” teens on Facebook spammed “Chance should be an icon.” And what happened in 2016.... Chance was an icon.

2016 we saw AOV for the first time. Once again the Facebook warriors screamed for them to come back. They were also saying B&T wasn’t funny and that show should go away. 

2017- Farewell tour for B&T and AOV was back. We also got a great Trick R Treat scarezone. And again we got “TrT should come back and AOV is amazing and should be back” 

2018- AOV is back and TrT is a house. 

Ok so most of the FB warriors scream about the stuff during/post the event. I haven’t gathered what their screams are yet but I’m sure it’s about bringing ST back, and let’s face it, it will be back for season 2. It was a huge selling point. 

So so after all my rambling, in my opinion These changes are bad. The “lol omg” Facebook fans have dumb ideas. They don’t know about the event and ask for stupid stuff. Maybe I’m just an old HHN vet that’s just grouchy. That is a high possibility. But their words are much louder than ours. Honestly I just want to see a great backstory and a great website and I’ll be happy. Thanks for reading my rant. I want to see what you guys think. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

I feel like this means that Universal is listening to the  general public fan based instead of the hardcore repeat fans. 
 I think they would rather get new money then old money. 

I feel like they have mostly listened to the general public the whole time. It just feels more prevalent now. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

They were also saying B&T wasn’t funny

TrT should come back

Unfortunately...I agreed with these two opinions. B&T at 26 was horrendously unfunny, and I thought TrT was a great zone and deserving of a house.

There's not people all over social media asking for a FNAF house, are there?

Of course, those who are considered "die-hard fans" today WERE the GP back then. So there's a chance that in 10 years, those who are considered "the GP" now become curmudgeonly die-hard fans who bemoan "these damn kids ruining the event."

What was your review of the houses this year?

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

They was few other things they could done differently in 2016 for bill and ted. 
 yet again whenever you bring up politics people are going to be hurt. 
  A lot of people think the event has changed for better or worse. 
 honestly, I won't be shocked if they have a family friendly haunted during the daytime. 
 USJ has their haunted houses opens at noon. Noon till 1am? or park close? 

17 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

There's not people all over social media asking for a FNAF house, are there?

What was your review of the houses this year?

FNAF?? 

Heres my house list. 

1. Slaughter Sinema 

2. Dead Exposure 

3. Seeds Of Extinction 

4. Poltergeist 

5. Scary Tales

6. Carnival Graveyard 

7. Blumhouse 

8. Trick R Treat 

9. Stranger Things 

10. Halloween 4

• Like 1

So Brandon, since I don't follow much of the social media, if you were the king of HHN what would you put in HHN 2019 based only on the overwhelming social media stories for HHN 2018?

Not looking for ten houses and the show - just the few themes that were loud and clear.

Likewise, what is social media overwhelmingly saying needs to change?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

the fucking selfies that everyone posts has made it harder than hell to get around the park now a days.... yes Ive dont it too.

I've long stopped being polite and waiting till a photo finishes.  People who decide to stop in the middle of a crowd so they can take a photo of themselves are Darwin Award candidates.  I never fail to make a snide comment as I pass them.  If they are taking a selfie video (what do you call those?) I always shout so that it will be recorded "Look at me!  I'm a moron!  Stopping in the middle of a crowd!  Wheeeeee!"

18 hours ago, zombieman said:

I've long stopped being polite and waiting till a photo finishes.  People who decide to stop in the middle of a crowd so they can take a photo of themselves are Darwin Award candidates.  I never fail to make a snide comment as I pass them.  If they are taking a selfie video (what do you call those?) I always shout so that it will be recorded "Look at me!  I'm a moron!  Stopping in the middle of a crowd!  Wheeeeee!"

I like your style! I do the same shit. Admittedly I might have broke a guys phone bc he walked right into while looking at it. I really didnt have anywhere to go. we collided and his phone hit the ground, by the sound of it there was no case on it either... now Im not saying this to sound like a tough guy Im using it as an example of the effect of social media, smart phones and dummies. And dont get me wrong I use my phone at HHN like a MFer but Im not being inconsiderate while doing it either. Im also 41 years old so Im not a kid.

2 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I like your style! I do the same shit. Admittedly I might have broke a guys phone bc he walked right into while looking at it. I really didnt have anywhere to go. we collided and his phone hit the ground, by the sound of it there was no case on it either... now Im not saying this to sound like a tough guy Im using it as an example of the effect of social media, smart phones and dummies. And dont get me wrong I use my phone at HHN like a MFer but Im not being inconsiderate while doing it either. Im also 41 years old so Im not a kid.

51 here.  I'm basically Mr. Kreeg when I'm at HHN

On 12/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, littlegreenghouls said:

I feel like this means that Universal is listening to the  general public fan based instead of the hardcore repeat fans. 
 I think they would rather get new money then old money. 

This is as it should be.

1 hour ago, RevFreako said:

This is as it should be.

Like I said, everyone was probably in the "general public" at one point. I remember the reaction to '00s events from people who had been going since the '90s were...often mixed. At least some of today's "general public" will become tomorrow's hardcore fans, whining about the next "general public" ruining the event. 

32 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Like I said, everyone was probably in the "general public" at one point. I remember the reaction to '00s events from people who had been going since the '90s were...often mixed. At least some of today's "general public" will become tomorrow's hardcore fans, whining about the next "general public" ruining the event. 

Also, as the hardcores, they more or less have your money. It's not their job, necessarily, to give you what you want.

I think overall, Universal has done a phenomenal job every year and do their best every year to make a better product for everyone and better event for everyone but also that Universal is trying to cater to the younger demographic pretty much what they've been doing back then but with current stuff out now like this year with Stranger Things or last year and the year before AHS, the more product out there for Universal to attach the more the crowds come to the event. I'm not a hardcore HHN fan, I've gone to the event since 2006, but from then to now, its phenomenal how much Universal and HHN has grown over the years, yes they have their hits and misses but they have to adapt to change, all in all, I love the event and they haven't disappointed me, no matter how good the mazes are or how meh, I love the event for what it truly is, others may see it differently but everyone is entitled to their opinion you know

• Like 1