Killswitch's Post Finance Exam Review

killswitch22

Sorry for the delay on the annual review everyone. Finance midterms kinda took priority this year. Overall, I am thoroughly enjoying this year. Long houses, big sets highlight this year. As always I will try to keep things as spoiler free as possible.

This year I’d like to go through houses based on their ranking from worst to best.

10. Blumhouse of Horrors: Poor Blumhouse always gets the crap end of the stick. This years titles aren’t as strong as the previous years but overall, I enjoy this house better than last years. The sets for this one are the best I’ve seen in the MIB tent so far. Scares however are pretty weak. Scares are pretty repetitive and the intensity really isn’t there. The Happy Death Day section does a good job for what the story allows and is the better section of the house. The Purge on the other hand is probably the worst incarnation of the franchise I’ve seen so far. I’ll give Blum house a 5 out of 10.

9. Seeds of Extinction: This one was on the top of my anticipation list for this year however it really didn’t live up to the hype. I was expecting this to be the scariest house of the year and doesn’t deliver. This house just seems very empty to me. Sets are fairly average and the scares arern’t well hidden. 6 out of 10 for Seeds.

8. Slaughter Sinema: I’ve been through this house only once so this might not be the most fair rating. The concept for this house is great. I just wish they stuck to fewer concepts within the house. All the rooms just feel a little rushed and would’ve liked to see more from specific concepts. Scares are decent and the sets are well done for each movie. I really like the preview videos and they mesh really well to what we saw in the house. For now Slaughter gets a 6.5 out of 10.

7.Halloween 4: The Halloween series has fared well for HHN so far and this one doesn’t disappoint. The house starts a little slow but escalates very quickly to the Halloween houses we know and love. Scares are well done and the Michael’s all do a great job. The finale room in this house is one of the better one’s of the year if you hit it at the right spot its one of my favorite scares of the year. I wish a little more detail was put into the sets and the transition rooms are very bare however. Halloween gets a 7 out of 10.

6. Trick R Treat: I feel like this house gets neglected because we saw it as a scarezone already. This house is very good but a little short and more so a house that’s better on sets than scares. The actors do a great job in this house and really use their space to make the most of what isn’t the scariest movie. I really love the big sets with the buses and went more into the quarry section of the movie than the scarezone ever could. Another solid 7 our of 10

5. Stranger Things: A week before the event I finally finished season one so it all was fresh in my head. I love the sets in this house and the demogorgons look great and do a great job scaring. They also did a great job casting the face characters.  For a high profile house the scares are there as well.  The major problem I have witb this house is that it fizzles out toward the end. After the school scene they could’ve fit another room or two but they fill a lot of the space with black curtains and a weak ending. Overall a very fun house 8 out of 10

4. Carnival Graveyard: A nice big house with great, big sets. The actors in this house are great and their intensity is some of the best of the year. In this house there are lots of unique pieces that I haven’t really seen in a house before. However because of these pieces it leads to a lot of empty space without scares. But where there are scares they are really good. Another 8 out of 10 for Carnival.

3. Scary Tales: Finally I get to experience a full on Scary Tales house. The façade for this house is unreal and as you go through the house you can tell they spent a lot of time and effort on this one. I also really like the stories they chose to cover. This is a house that is relentless from start to finish. 9 out of 10.

2. Dead Exposure: Now this is HHN. This house reminds me of what got me into horror nights in the first place. I love the puppets in the beginning and just keeps going and picking up intensity as you go though the house. This is probably one of the scariest house’s I’ve been in for a long while. 9 out of 10

1. Poltergeist: I have been asking for this IP for years now and Horror Nights did not disappoint. From the second you walk into the house you are transported into another world. All of the key scenes from the movie are executed to perfection. The scares are very well done. This also probably the most diverse house I’ve seen with the huge variation of scares and sets that they use in this one. Thank you HHN for not blowing this one. What should I ask for next? 10 out of 10 for Poltergeist.

Now for the Scare Zones:

5. The Harvest: While not a bad scare zone it’s essentially a rehash of scarecrow with some stilt walkers. The actors in the zone do a great job with intensity and using their limited space.

4. Revenge of Chucky: I really wish they did more with this, Chucky is easily my favorite slasher and this zone doesn’t really do him justice. I like that they put him on a stage and have the other toys running around but I think I just want more from this zone.

3. Twisted Tradition: I really love the story of this zone, with the normal actors and then the Halloween monsters deeper into the zone. Really dark and the actors use their space very well. The only thing that leaves this zone so low is that it’s a typical Central Park zone that doesn’t really bring anything new to the table.

2. Vamp 85: This zone has everything! I love the soundtrack and the celebrities. This zone is so much fun and they mix in scares very well. I really love how the actors interact with eachother as well.

1. Killer Klownz: What a fun zone. They did an outstanding job with the costumes and Klownz act just like they do in the movie. I love interacting with the brothers and the puppet scares are really well done to. One of the most unique zones I’ve seen in a long time. Hoping to see this one move into a house next year.

Thank you as always for taking the time to read this and Happy Haunting.

Killswitch

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 7:13 AM, CNYHHN315 said:

The reviews are truly all over the place this year. Im seeing dead exposure at the bottom of lists while its at the top with yours. Same with carnival and Halloween. Huge swings both ways on some houses. CAN NOT WAIT to see for myself

Agreed.  This is a really interesting year with so many varied opinions.  I'll be curious to see if these change by the end of the year, as houses evolve (and devolve).  The one constant throughout is that Poltergeist was shockingly good.  That's what happens when expectations are not over inflated.  It feels like people are also more understanding of why some houses are not working for some people.  I wanted TrT to work for me but it's just not.

16 hours ago, zombieman said:

Agreed.  This is a really interesting year with so many varied opinions.  I'll be curious to see if these change by the end of the year, as houses evolve (and devolve).  The one constant throughout is that Poltergeist was shockingly good.  That's what happens when expectations are not over inflated.  It feels like people are also more understanding of why some houses are not working for some people.  I wanted TrT to work for me but it's just not.

Trick r treat just isnt long enough for me. The scenes they do are done well. It just isnt enough.

Did seeds again last night. I appreciate the sets a lot more as I took time and had the chance to fall back from people. The last half just doesnt have enough going on for me.