Most expensive house?

On 1/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, fvcking cvnt said:

Feeling curious if it's known what orlando house has had the highest budget, I imagine some huge IP, something in a soundstage. Any experts know?

Really interesting Q!

Since no one around here could possibly know how much of the budget goes to actually acquiring IP usage rights, I think you are asking for the house that cost the most to produce in terms of actual construction?  For that matter, probably disregard cost of building conversion (i.e. removing and replacing a queue, removing and replacing an entire Shrek theater) and opportunity cost (i.e. SS could have been used for a production).   I think you need to take the quantity of scareactors into consideration as well.

I imagine A&D gets to allocate the budget they way they want to a large degree.  So I think they can have their pet project every year.

I think AWIL was a budget buster, because of the design costs of the puppets and underlying mechanical infrastructure.  The mechanics could be re-skinned for use later (AVP, Exorcist, etc) but probably had an enormous upfront cost. The transformation scene required them to raise the floor by a foot (but many houses have done this).  Nightmare scene must have cost a lot to design and program.  And they brought in a double decker bus, for Christ sake.  AWIL was the first White Whale that HHN captured (followed by Exorcist and Shining).  You better believe they wanted to make sure the budget was there to do it justice.  My last piece of evidence: they presented the exact same house two years later "because it was such a fan favorite" - yeah, right.  They brought it back because it cost so damn much to produce - they amortized the cost over two years.  So I'm suggesting that AWIL was not only the MOST expensive house to produce (2013), but it was also the LEAST expensive house to produce (2015).

Runners up (my guess starting with most expensive):

Super sized TWD house (2016) - long house, and the most scareactors (also meaning most prosthetics).  But many rooms were reused from before.

AVP (2014) - expensive prosthetics, massive queen puppet

25th Anniversary house (2015) - was huge, but so much was probably sitting in a warehouse.  Hard to say what the budget was here

Thing: Assimilation (2011) - had a slew of expensive prosthetics

Ghost Town: Curse of Lightning Gulch (2016) - Felt like it cost a fortune.  That A&D put everything they had into it.
Gothic (2012) - Legendary house.  Was an A&D  pet project

Dead Waters (2017) - the massive facade and hyper-detailed house (but very short, mitigating cost)

Nevermore: The Madness of Poe (2011) - considering the six-sided room and the wood-walled gallery.  The Thing probably had higher budget.

Resident Evil (2013) - I cannot help but recall the largest sets I've ever seen at HHN, but no way this had bigger budget than AWIL in same year

Those are all relatively recent houses.  There are a lot of props that have been reused endlessly that cost a fortune to first create (vortex tunnel, spine rip illusion, etc).  Those might have broke the budget in the year they were created.  But I'm guessing the per house budget is higher now than in those years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fvcking cvnt said:

thanks so much for the detailed response! I started seriously going to this the year after AWiL but it looks incredible from what I've seen. One thing, I thought AVP didn't have the queen in orlando?

Um....  I seriously don't recall about the queen.  I THINK they did have a giant queen coming down through the roof.  Hollywood def had a 12 foot queen which I was thinking of when I wrote that.  I attend both every year and get them mixed up sometimes...  I'm sure someone will correct me about the Orlando queen.

EDIT: Just watched the walkthru of both houses.  Jeez, I really mixed these two up.  I could have sworn the crawlspace ending was Hollywood, but it was Orlando.  So no queen in Orlando.  So, maybe AVP is off my list as a budget buster.

• Thanks 1

With Dead Waters, I would've been perfectly ok with a somewhat cheaper house than The Fallen next door to have a few more scenes (made Invasion a house instead, and just had the Chainsaw Clowns be their own official scare-zone). But it's pretty obvious they spent a lot on it, especially that gorgeous, gorgeous facade. :)

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

With Dead Waters, I would've been perfectly ok with a somewhat cheaper house than The Fallen next door to have a few more scenes (made Invasion a house instead, and just had the Chainsaw Clowns be their own official scare-zone). But it's pretty obvious they spent a lot on it, especially that gorgeous, gorgeous facade. :)

I legit agree with everything you just said

• Like 1