What house/zones will be better than expected, and which will disappoint?

I'm personally thinking Texas Chainsaw Massacre is going to be the sleeper hit of the event. It's one of the grittiest houses they're going to do and while they've done the remake, the original is "grittier" and I think they'll take their lessons learned from that house and improve on it a lot. 

Feeling that Vamp 1955 is going to be overrated. I think the cheese factor isn't "unique" enough and the props will seem too blended into the environment. NOTE, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY CONSTRUCTION PICTURES SO PLEASE DO NOT LET ME KNOW WHAT IS THERE THANKS :)

Seeing the recent developments on twitter, I think Banshee's Lair might be moving on up the list. The stuff that's going up is very different from what we've seen before in that Central Park area.

As for disappointments, I try not to go in with the mindset of being disappointed. I mean, it happens (looking at you Screampunk), but I'm definitely trying to keep an open mind about the things I'm more apprehensive about.

• Like 1

The scarezones in the front of the park have tended to be pretty lame, so if it's good this year then it will be a huge surprise. I think the Krampus house has the most room to disappoint, because while I would love to see it blow everyone away, the creative team could make on hell of a dud. I agree with most people here and think that the TCM house could be the sleeper hit, that or the originals. I'm secretly hoping Tomb will be amazing since it's giving off some *slight* Gothic vibes to me, and the sets alone made that house one of the best.

The Exorcist and The Exorcist.

Why it could be bad:  This is Critical's post after all, so might as well start with the negative.  It's on soooooo many people's favorite movie of all time list and you have to meet their exceptions.  It's so hard to have an organic walk through of a movie that takes place almost exclusively in 1 room.  There aren't many "characters" in the movie to scare you.  They're obviously going to add a bunch of characters to scare the shit out of you.

Why it could great:  Been there, done that...except this house switches it up keeping what you love and adding a whole new spin on it.  Taking one set from the movie, and through thoughtful creative interpretation, making it awesome across multiple diverse sets.  Introducing new "characters" that didn't appear in the film(s) yet compliment the story....or using the few from the movie to still do the trick (like Halloween).    

My thoughts:  Has the potential go both ways...and will.  It might be a flop (I put that at 5%) and might be mindblowingly awesome (I put that at 80%) yet is surely going to piss off movie purists who are going to be disappointed no matter what (they make up the other 15% of my probability matrix I pulled out of my ass after a couple beers) since it's going "off script".  But given how reverent Mike is to the IP, I have to think they're going to do it justice and that the vast majority of people will love it...but there WILL be haters.

• Like 2

I think that Tomb of the Ancients will be a lame duck. The theory behind that possibility is that I assume it started life as an H.P. Lovecraft house but ended up being so disappointing that they decided not to tarnish the memory of Howie Philips's work and changed the name (not to mention not being able to surpass the great Poe house a few years back), leaving them the opportunity to give it another shot sometime down the road.

Edited by YourPallbearer

Tomb of the Ancients has the chance to be really disappointing, as I love the sound of it, but the artwork they revealed kind of leaves me feeling a bit cold towards it. 

I think, for me personally, the house that will be the surprise will either be Krampus or Lunatic's Playground. I don't really have high expecations for either of them, and they could step in and prove me so wrong, and I'd be thrilled. 

On 9/6/2016 at 7:48 AM, Jediwhit82 said:

That's a depressing outlook, what makes you say that rather then just an original idea.

Half the reason for this thread's existence is to ruminate about horrible, negative possibilities. I gave my musing and it shouldn't be taken too seriously. 

What makes me think it didn't start life as an original idea?
A. We know they've been teasing a Lovecraft house for about four years now.

B. The idea of the house is very reminiscent of the man's work.

Edited by YourPallbearer

As for houses, I think TCM, exorcist and Krampus will be my better than expected ones. I loved TCM in 2007. One of my fondest memories comes from going through that house in a group of three and having a chainsaw finally make me want to run, right out of the last scene! (Which gave me fangirl chills!) 

in the same vein I'm a little afraid that I'll be disappointed since I feel so nostalgic for the 07 house. But I think that's a very small chance ;) 

krampus is such an interesting and "different" IP that I think a lot of people will go in with low expectations. I hope that they don't downplay the camp here. 

I like when creative gets to be more abstract, so that's where my anticipation comes from for exorcist!! 

I think AHS, walking dead, tomb, Halloween 2, and ghost town will be close to what I expect so 

i think chances house will be the biggest let down 

• 3 weeks later...