Best of HHN Years

I noticed here that while there are many topics of top houses and scare zones, ironically, there is not one about a favorite year list (I'm sure I'd find one if I searched deep enough.) That's why I'm creating this list to have everyone - from the veterans to the new blood - answer this question: "Based on your experience, What's your top favorite years of Halloween Horror Nights?"

The reason why I only want a few and not a giant list is because I want to know your reasons. Explain why. What was it about that particular year that captivated you? What makes that year, in your opinion, so much greater overall than the rest of the years you've gone? What feelings did that year give off to you and made you feel as well? and such. Also, don't talk about years you WISH you've gone, because you haven't experienced those years. What were those years of HHN that made you go "I want feel like did these years, every other year at HHN."

Take your time thinking though. I hope you give it some thought. Now, fire away!

That is a tricky question.

I've only been attending since 2010, so obviously I can only pull from a limited number of years. On top of that, in some ways, it is hard for me to choose any 1 particular year and I'll explain why. I believe that the brain sometimes can trick someone into something that may not necessarily be true. Let me give you a quick example of what I'm referring to... For most of my early life, whenever my mother would cook me steak for dinner, it would be basic choice beef bought from the supermarket. For years, when I thought of steak, I'd associate it with a certain flavor, until one day I made a discovery.  Apparently there was this variety of been that was raised in Japan (Kobe) called Wagyu. The 1st place we actually got to see this true Japanese Wagyu was at Atlantis in the Bahamas. It was expensive though (prices have gone down quite a bit since that time)... so expensive that the waiter didn't think we were serious about buying it (they were considering not even letting us in because we were dressed in hawaiian shirts in a place full of suits). I think it was roughly $320 for 4 ounces. (luckily for me as I walked out of the restaurant I walked right over to a slot machine and got all the $ back that I just paid for dinner) At any rate, it was absolutely delicious. It was so tasty and tender, it was almost like it wasn't beef at all. I'll never forget the 1st experience with an actual quality piece of beef. Since then, I've eaten a variety of wagyu grades and breeds from all over. It's all good, but there is something special about the 1st time it literally melted in my mouth. It's like the brain archives moments like that in a special folder. This is how I feel about HHN 20.  

Going into it, we didn't know what to expect. It was the opening night, and right off the bat I knew I was going to enjoy this place. Before we even entered, we saw some scare actors doing their thing outside the entrance. When we got inside I began to feel a bit giddy like a child after watching the chainsaw drill team line up, start their saws in unison, and chase after the nearby patrons. Immediately following that, we bumped into the scare zone Esqueleto Muerte which looked really cool. As we walked around, it seemed like there was no escape from the awesome feeling of the event. Whether it was the scare zones, fog, sound effects, people screaming, the houses themselves, or the roaming drill team, I felt immersed in something that I couldn't really believe actually existed. I know I've mentioned this several times, but I still can't get over how well done Sting Alley was. I think that of all the things that I've seen at horror nights, the alley that year may have been the most believable/realistic. I looked into that maniac's light up goggles through the fog and was fairly convinced I was going to get bashed with his giant wrench. I think the scare zones are what really pushed it over the top for me. We really loved the Bill & Ted Show as well. I mean c'mon... seeing Twilight's Jacob (we think Twilight is a complete joke) running up and grinding with my wife was hilarious. Even the lines were a complete non-issue. If anything, it made it even better because it wasn't super busy and we had express, so we hardly ever waited. Walking by the regular lines and laughing while doing it was a bonus. The only negative (loosely) was that I wasn't blown away by the houses that year. I've been going to haunts pretty much since they 1st existed and although they were alright, they didn't blow my socks off. However, there was enough of them, so I was satisfied for sure. 

So the question remains, was HHN 20 my favorite year because I truly thought it was the best, or because it was new to me and my brain holds it in a higher regard?

If you asked me which year I thought had the best houses, I'd have to say HHN 23 (2013). For one reason or another, I really enjoyed most of the houses that year except for Afterlife and Havoc. 

My favorite house of all time would have to be Halloween for it's nostalgic reasons. *gives 2 enthusiastic thumbs up*

• Like 3

2004 (HHN 14) - My first year and it will always be one of my favorites (Ghost Town is still the house to beat for me)
2007 (HHN 17) - The IP houses were really good this year. I was pleasantly surprised. TX Chainsaw: Flesh Wounds was really creepy and I don't usually get scared.
2008 (HHN 18) - Prob the best year overall for me. The majority of houses were good and most of the scarzones were good. This is the year to beat for me.

Edited by JunoSynth
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2016 at 10:29 AM, ThNdIzNiR said:

That is a tricky question.

I've only been attending since 2010, so obviously I can only pull from a limited number of years. On top of that, in some ways, it is hard for me to choose any 1 particular year and I'll explain why. I believe that the brain sometimes can trick someone into something that may not necessarily be true. Let me give you a quick example of what I'm referring to... For most of my early life, whenever my mother would cook me steak for dinner, it would be basic choice beef bought from the supermarket. For years, when I thought of steak, I'd associate it with a certain flavor, until one day I made a discovery.  Apparently there was this variety of been that was raised in Japan (Kobe) called Wagyu. The 1st place we actually got to see this true Japanese Wagyu was at Atlantis in the Bahamas. It was expensive though (prices have gone down quite a bit since that time)... so expensive that the waiter didn't think we were serious about buying it (they were considering not even letting us in because we were dressed in hawaiian shirts in a place full of suits). I think it was roughly $320 for 4 ounces. (luckily for me as I walked out of the restaurant I walked right over to a slot machine and got all the $ back that I just paid for dinner) At any rate, it was absolutely delicious. It was so tasty and tender, it was almost like it wasn't beef at all. I'll never forget the 1st experience with an actual quality piece of beef. Since then, I've eaten a variety of wagyu grades and breeds from all over. It's all good, but there is something special about the 1st time it literally melted in my mouth. It's like the brain archives moments like that in a special folder. This is how I feel about HHN 20.  

Going into it, we didn't know what to expect. It was the opening night, and right off the bat I knew I was going to enjoy this place. Before we even entered, we saw some scare actors doing their thing outside the entrance. When we got inside I began to feel a bit giddy like a child after watching the chainsaw drill team line up, start their saws in unison, and chase after the nearby patrons. Immediately following that, we bumped into the scare zone Esqueleto Muerte which looked really cool. As we walked around, it seemed like there was no escape from the awesome feeling of the event. Whether it was the scare zones, fog, sound effects, people screaming, the houses themselves, or the roaming drill team, I felt immersed in something that I couldn't really believe actually existed. I know I've mentioned this several times, but I still can't get over how well done Sting Alley was. I think that of all the things that I've seen at horror nights, the alley that year may have been the most believable/realistic. I looked into that maniac's light up goggles through the fog and was fairly convinced I was going to get bashed with his giant wrench. I think the scare zones are what really pushed it over the top for me. We really loved the Bill & Ted Show as well. I mean c'mon... seeing Twilight's Jacob (we think Twilight is a complete joke) running up and grinding with my wife was hilarious. Even the lines were a complete non-issue. If anything, it made it even better because it wasn't super busy and we had express, so we hardly ever waited. Walking by the regular lines and laughing while doing it was a bonus. The only negative (loosely) was that I wasn't blown away by the houses that year. I've been going to haunts pretty much since they 1st existed and although they were alright, they didn't blow my socks off. However, there was enough of them, so I was satisfied for sure. 

So the question remains, was HHN 20 my favorite year because I truly thought it was the best, or because it was new to me and my brain holds it in a higher regard?

If you asked me which year I thought had the best houses, I'd have to say HHN 23 (2013). For one reason or another, I really enjoyed most of the houses that year except for Afterlife and Havoc. 

My favorite house of all time would have to be Halloween for it's nostalgic reasons. *gives 2 enthusiastic thumbs up*

What a terrific (and spot on), well thought out commentary.  I have to agree here..  My first year was 2005, and we only were able to do two nights.  However, I remember the same kind of feeling described here - being blown away by just HOW MUCH there was.   I have been going to haunts since I was about 9 or 10, and I am way older than most of you (hitting 49 in a couple months), so I have had a ton of experience.  This event, however, was the crowning moment for me.  I couldn't believe the feel of it.  The immersive quality that I've not found anywhere else.  Honestly, I can't remember most of the details of that first time in 2005 but I remember the feel of it.

As a result, that feeling and anticipation has stayed with me year after year.  It's very difficult to say which year was my favorite.  I can easily tell you my least favorite, but not a favorite.  Each year brings its own special moments, its own remarkable experiences, and to try and narrow that down to just one year seems impossible.  If I had a gun to my head, I would say 25 was my favorite because I married the love of my life there on Halloween.

• Like 2

Mine best overall all year that I've bee to would have to be HHN 21 (been attending since 19). By far the best original houses, Forsaken being my favorite I've ever been through, HR Bloodengutz being a fun time every time through and some of the more unique scarezones I've been through.