Hey Murdy! I KNOW You're Reading This Now.

Yeah Murdy. I know you snoop around on here to read our posts and feedback. But now that I have your attention here, I will now tell you and everyone else on here why I made this thread. While you're sitting in your office chair with all of your horror memorabilia around your office, take a few minutes and read this post. We've enjoyed all of your mazes that you and Chris worked so hard for us to enjoy. All I ask is no more than five or six minutes of your time to read this. Before you do, Play this song as you are reading to emphasize emotional impact.

Six years ago from the day before Halloween, (that is 2009) I was barely into the haunt scene. I was 17 years old at the time, a Junior in high school. I knew about this event that started up not too terribly long ago at Universal. I was always curious to go check it out, but was always too chicken to go. That same year, I recently went to Knott's Scary Farm with some of my friends who told me all about how cool it was. While I had fun there, I wasn't exactly scared very much at all. I was slightly timid but I wanted something more Thrilling. That's when me and my main buddy at the time decided to check out HHN. 

My mom dropped us off and it was just me and him. I got in right went the opening scareamony was going on with the preacher. When the fire went up and the chainsaw revved, it was AWESOME. I could feel the energy. I raced right to the very first HHN house I ever went to: My Bloody Valentine: Be Mine 4 Ever! I remember walking into that mine and feeling so uneasy and freaking terrified! I was jumping all over the place when Harry Warden popped out at me. I also remembered how awful it smelled. That same night, I also vividly remembered getting some chili cheese fries at Mel's and then going through Halloween. Still, to this day, in one of my top five houses of all time. We left the event half past midnight  as my dad picked us up. The next day, which happened to be Halloween, despite the fact it didn't have as much to offer as Knott's did, HHN gave me something that Knott's didn't: thoughts from the night before on how AWESOME it was. How SCARY it was. How DETAILED everything was. And how all of the mazes smelled like CRAP. An HHN fanatic was born. A couple of months later, I discovered the Vault and became an active poster. All because it was from a man who seems friendly and cool, but underneath that bald spot he likes to hide with his interesting collection of hats, laid a sick and demented mind. That man was John Murdy. 

After reading your Twitter, you are apparently implying that your creative reign at Horror Nights is drawing to a close. Your tweets have drawn me to write this. The reason why I made this thread is because I just want to say, "thank you." Thank you for all of the awesome mazes you and Chris have designed and all of the frightful memories I've had at the event. I won't lie. I've shared my fair share of criticisms about some of the content. You're probably chuckling right now because you know it. I have been expressive about it in my past and youve seen it. There are some things that I liked and did not like about the event in the past. But putting that aside, nothing is going to be perfect. As I have grown older, I have been faced with bigger priorities, more situations, and more responsibilities. After facing such, I have seen that life (and the event) is too short to pick apart. Sure, there are still some things I like and dislike, but I still love the event because it continues to do what it did to me at seventeen years old.

So Murdy, it was cool getting to talk to you when I did, and I really have enjoyed the past seven years I've gone to HHN. Some were better than the others, but I still have enjoyed them. HHN is an event I have and still look forward to every single year. I got the chance to meet Chris Williams and caught him right as he was exiting Halloween (He already knew my name which could be pretty cool or terrifying), and got to tell him how much I enjoyed this year. And I really did. You two really did a better job of Insidious and TWD better than your brother Orlando. ;) Crimson Peak was GORGEOUS. AVP, though it was a repeat, still holds up as one of the coolest houses you've ever done. Halloween was great and is quite appropriate for you to close off  your reign by returning of my first mazes ever at HHN. This is the End was….eh, moving on.

I know this was a long ramble, but I felt compelled to make this long post because you have put together an event that me and many other people look forward to every single year. Thank you Murdy. Thank you Chris Williams (Assuming he's leaving too?)  and I wish you the best of luck to your future endeavors. I look forward to the future events and look forward to see how the next person  you're passing the torch to uses the event.

Open yourself a cold one after changing your daughter's diaper and watch War of the Gargantuas after ten years of mental mind madness. You deserve it. 

To all of the other members here, treat this as HNN's "Thank you and good luck" card for Murdy. Since he's spent the past ten years scaring us out of our minds I think he deserves a little recognition. Don't you think? ;) 

• Like 9

He absolutely deserves some recognition. Not to steal your thunder, but I figure I might as well post my history with the event or at least the beginning of it.

So in fall of 2010, I got a plethora of videos in my YouTube subscription box from SharpProductions, all about Halloween horror nights. Now I had never heard of hhn until that point and back in 2010, I was still kind of a bitch and barely watched any horror movies(not any of the intense ones), but I watched the videos and throughly got a kick out of them, though I didn't think I would ever go, especially not then. Fast forward to Spring 2011 where I went back to USH for the first time since Back to the Future closed(just a side note, that last visit I had, included a 9 year old me leaving house of horrors that just opened that year after the first room even though there was no actors in it, I just heard someone screaming from another room and I got out of there. Which was weird considering I was able to walk though the van helping house that was there a few years prior). I ended up becoming an annual pass member(another side note, anyone remember that the passholders used to have actual cards that depending on what type of pass you had it would be a different ride featured at the park, they need to bring this back). Later that year I got the HHN 2011 mail thing universal sends you and suddenly I got a huge urge to want to go. SharpPro had posted his videos for the year, and I really wanted to do the thing maze because I was excited for the movie and it didn't look that scary from the videos. I then decided to make one of the smartest decisions of my life and got tickets for the second Friday it was open.

i had been at the park during the regular day and didn't leave until the park closed. And I left to big crowd of people waiting to get in and I shortly joined them. Now this was back in the day and I don't even know if early entry was available so I obviously didn't do it and watched opening scaremonies. I'll never forget waiting for the event to start in that sea of people, and then the fire towers went and and this mad stampede ran and embarked on their horror journeys. I always enjoyed this little detail when I was standing outside that store that used to be across from the studio tour entrance and hear ghost face repeat lines, idk why I've always loved that moment. The entire feel from that first year will never be forgotten and hasn't been replicated. Ever since that night I've been a die hard fan. I don't remember how, but I found your Twitter and started following the event on another level. I also remember the old days of HHN youtubers. Anyone remember HHNPerson or HHNBro, or that gay guy who did a ten minute rant of 2011 HOTC. And obviously who could forget Freak aka Someotherguyuser

Hopefully I get to meet and thank you in person as it looks like I'm going closing night. If it weren't for you, idk what I would insanely follow and anticipate all year long. As this seems to be your last year, you went out with a bang as this was the most fun I've had since I started going. I hope you and your future endeavors suit you well

• Like 3

Not that we "Know" this is for sure it sure does look that way...

As someone who's always been into Halloween and Horror and coming from a family (Also from Whittier Murdy's home town) who was really into Halloween, I remember hearing about HHNO 2005 and looking up how it only existed in Orlando... Then you brought the Director to our lovely Park in 2006 at the age of 16 I still remember walking through Van Helsing's Fortress Dracula. That giant wolfman was one of the most awesomest things I ever seen then I entered the Asylum and for the first time got scared in a haunted attraction. Then For The First time my feet walked on the Universal Backlot. I remember walking back and forth past the mutator show... and I'm drawing a blank on something...something about two clowns and dead celebrities? Oh wait don't remind lol. But It was not until I returned in 2007 that the event really struck a chord with me as Jack the Clown brought the Carnival Of Carnage and it blew my mind! still remember the skull bandit chainsaw gang causing havoc and the feel of dread walking into TCM. Being alone on the Haunted london street... (yeah at that time there were still not a lot of people that you can be alone on a street in the first few hours.) But for this first after watching 2006's Orlando Bill and Ted's I finally got to see it live and it was awesome still remember a old couple dancing to "thnks fr th mmrs' By Fall out Boy and Jack from 24 beating up Vin Diesel then the epic explosion at the end of  "Welcome To The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. Slaughterworld 2 was the first time I seen the show and wow!!! also the first time I seen the Chuck-ster in the flesh insult everyone and watch Brian Burshwood summon demons in Animal Actors, too bad all 4 of those are gone and won't come back because Uni does not have backbone but if you saw these originals live you'd know why I hate Jabbawokees with a passion. But I Digress the star was really the mazes and the little things Mr. Murdy would put from the Helicopter outside of The Dead Shall rise to Crazy Ralph out of Camp Blood. Your eye to detail is what sets us apart from other so cal theme park haunts. Over the last 9 years you have been a big part of my life and had encourage me to pursue my film making career in hopes of one day having a maze feature at HHN based on a film of mine. From the days at the vault with Me,  Zombieman, Trevler, Electro-Killer and SensesFail17 were the only 5 people part of the forums to now that it has grew so much... through the "HHNMasters, and SAWTwins" I have followed your twitter and was excited year round for what you had next and though I have been rough more than once it is because I hold dear very much what you have built and someone who was there at the beginning as a wee child my growing up phase has revolved around HHNH and it always takes me away from my problems I still have my first green ticket from ralphs and every map since 2007 (no clue what I did with my 06) so Thanks for the scares...Even though I have never got a chance to meet you in all these years you have been like a uncle who brings halloween treats for us every year. From another Whittier native good luck with everything family and professional....

Let the fan art being!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Well, it started for me in 2007 when I saw the commercials for HHN 2007 with Jack, Freddy, Jason and Leatherface.. I wanted to go but due to other priorities, I missed out that year.. I went in 2008 and I thought to myself "This was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had relating to Halloween".. went back over the following few years and became a huge fan of the HHN events in both Hollywood and Orlando.. Almost did not go in 2010 because I was so enraged at the lack of original content, the repeats and Murdy deciding NOT to bring back Rocky Horror (Those of you who were on the boards at the time should remember my tantrums/meltdowns over the decision), but I gave it a chance and wound up enjoying the night.. I watched 2011 with a close eye and with great interest.. All throughout, I followed Murdy on Twitter from the first week he started the account and was struck by how cool he was towards the fans and how he really cared about what we had to say regarding the event.. I admit, I am guilty of going off on him due to certain decisions but like Freak said, life's too short to channel too much anger into an event like HHN which is only a few months out of the year.. All that came to it's peak in 2012 when I won a backstage tour on Twitter and got to meet him and tour La Llorona with him, my friend who used to be on these forums and my mom and uncle.. It was such a cool experience to go through the maze room by room, have him answer our questions about the maze and explain where the ideas came from and the little easter eggs hidden within the maze.. After that, I walked away with even more respect for him than I already had. I would see him around at the horror conventions and he'd always remember me and he'd always be open to talk with not only me but all the fans who waited in line for pictures, autographs etc.. from him and Chris Williams.. I know that as fans of this event, we want certain things at HHN that Murdy has either no interest in (Icons, Scream) or cannot make happen at the moment and I know we get a bit angry over what we DO get at times but all in all, from the bottom of my horror-loving heart, I want to say thank you to John Murdy for the last 10 years of HHN.. You fought to bring it back to Universal Hollywood after being told it was never going to work due to the competition from Knott's and due to living in the shadow of HHN Orlando's already impressive reputation.. But you didn't let any of that deter you.. You brought to life some of the greatest horror IPs at the event with passion and vigor, hoping not only to provide a good scare, but to make the fans of those IPs go "That was the coolest fucking thing ever to walk through my favorite movies and seeing everything up close and in perfect detail". *sniffles* I'm getting a bit emotional, but I just wanted to say thank you Murdy.. without HHN Hollywood, I would not have discovered my love and passion for horror and like Grind, I want one of my horror films featured as a maze at HHN someday.. I also would not have made such wonderful friends that I met through HHN.. I've said my piece.. Goodbye Murdy and one more time.. thanks for everything..

(Felt that this was appropriate due to the title as well as Sarah Brightman originating the role of Christine in the Broadway musical version of one of Murdy's favorite UCM films, The Phantom of the Opera)

Edited by horror lover
  • Like 1

Wow, I can't believe it may be time to say goodbye to the mastermind behind my favorite Halloween event of all time. John, I truly hope you have one final year planned to be able to feature the classic monsters, The exorcist, and any other properties you've really wanted to do. If that's out of the realm of possibilities, I just want to say thank you for everything you've done. 

It was 2005 when I decided to attempt going through Van Helsing as a 10 year old wimp. Well... I didn't make it all the way through. BUT, when House of Horrors opened in October of 2006, my best friend and I decided to give it a shot. Not only did House of Horrors become one of my favorite attractions ever, it's what made me decide to go to HHN the following year. We would go through HOH at least 6 or 7 times each week since we were annual pass holders. You sparked my interest in classic monsters, haunt design, and HHN. So thank you for that. 

In September of 2007, I saw advertisements throughout the park with Freddy, Jason, Leatherface and a clown known as Jack. My best friend and I knew we had to go. I was so nervous that I'd be too scared, but obviously... I loved it. Now I consider myself an avid fan for the past 9 years, and will continue to go every year until the day I die. 

Walking through Camp Crystal Lake and seeing my favorite horror icon in person was an incredible, and terrifying experience that I'll never forget. Seeing Freddy's dream realm and all of the inventive kills throughout that maze was also so damn cool. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a whole different beast. My god, I almost died in that maze. Back then, the pulsing of the lines was done much better because of the lower attendance, so I remember my best friend and I being the only ones in that maze. We actually sprinted through the last half of the maze! 

Every single year after that, you've managed to create an incredible, unforgettable event with mazes that no other event can compete with. I'd like to share a few notable memories or mazes I adore from each year I've attended. These are just a few notable reasons why you and Chris Williams are haunt gods. 

2008 - You enhanced the 3 of the best mazes you've ever done. The Terror tram was just as good if not better, and I'll never forget my first time stepping foot onto the world famous backlot. 

2009 - Halloween was beautiful, surreal, and downright terrifying. Having Saw be the themed IP of the event that year was also very cool. I remember hearing it's theme song playing at the entrance of the park and getting goosebumps. 

2010 - Oh boy, what a divisive year. Everyone, myself included were complaining about repeats. WELL, you proved us wrong. Not only did you elevate the detail of the mazes, you somehow made them scarier. We also got our first taste at a 3D maze and I remember being so impressed with how well done House of 1000 Corpses was. The double scare near the end of the maze in the cave section made me drop to the ground! No other maze or event has done that since. This is why you and Chris Williams are the masters of horror. 

2011 - I remember thinking the line up for 2011 seemed less exciting than previous years. There was no huge horror icon or anything of that nature. I also remember being angry Alice Cooper was getting his own maze. I never listened to his music but after experiencing Welcome to my Nightmare, it was hands down my favorite maze of the year and I actually gave his music a chance and ended up loving it. You also took the next step and made some amazing creature effects in The Thing. La Llorona's facade was also a sight to behold. 

2012 - While La Llorona wasn't necessarily scary in 2011, it was creepy. Well, you took what you learned from The Thing, and created some really demented puppets that definitely turned up the scare factor in La Llorona. I also had the honor of being a scareactor for the first time in The Walking Dead: Dead Inside and I had a blast. 

2013 - Insidious: Into the Further is one of my favorite mazes of all time. For your first paranormal maze, you knocked it out of the park. Bravo! 

2014 - American Werewolf in London. WOW. One of my favorite horror movies, and you gave horror fans the opportunity to experience it in person perfectly. The puppets would make me run out of the room every single time. My girlfriend and I were also the first guests to walk through the maze on opening night, with no one in front of or behind us. One of my favorite experiences at HHN ever! 

2015 - Once again, knocked it out of the park with Insidious. The final trio scare made me crouch down and cower into the corner of the room. Great use of projection effects, and ultimately a masterpiece. 

Well, I've rambled long enough but I just wanted to say thank you for all of the experiences these past 10 years. This may not be your final year for sure, but you still deserve the recognition and praise. 

Edited by Arsik_22

• 1 month later...
  • Freak locked this topic