Kursed's HHN Hollywood Opening WEEKEND Review! 9/20 - 9/21 2013

Kurseddragon

well I've seen videos where she is out there and the deadite form of the brother's girlfriend comes from the other side I wonder if they were understaffed the day you were there.

Idk, I went like 4 times total. Maybe there was someone, but they didn't do a very good job either... At scaring.

Maze Reviews Concluded~
Gonna try and finish these tonight. Need to waste time and stay up late to get ready for Scareacting. :D

Post-writing-this-note: May be typos. My A.D.D. isn't allowing me to re-read all of it, so I apologize in advance for any possible grammatical errors.

---------------------------

4. Insidious: Overall Rating: B+

Not an A for never getting scared..

Experience Rating: B

• As said previously, was literally one group away from getting a card. But I have no idea what the secret code was for the first two nights? I checked Twitter, but didn't see Murdy put anything. Idk, either way, never had a chance to get one even if I knew. I liked how it actually felt like a home the moment you stepped in. Just realized I never actually felt like it was the Insidious house, though. But it was homey. :D I remembered watching the red candle hallway scene in the movie and thought how perfect it would be at HHN. They didn't portray it like the movie; they actually made it scarier for HHN, but wasted the potential for scares in it. The mirror that shows a skull or some demon or something, I remember walking up and staring at it (not knowing it did that) and was like "SOMETHING'S GONNA HAPPEN" and the moment I took my face away, it went off. Couldn't even scare myself. ):
  • We ended up alone in this maze. I wasn't scared to be alone. However, I do remember thinking that if I was left alone in there, with no scareactors, or anyone else nearby, it'd be fairly creepy; only in the dark scenes, though. I like the little cat sculpture on the shelf, I noticed it without even rewatching the video (I have a strange obsession with cats). This maze is full of pictures on the wall transitions. They're just normal, random pictures. Why didn't they put secret 'ghosts' or demons in the background like in the movie? Maybe they did, but I didn't pay attention. It was quite funny, since we were alone, I like to overreact. Gets more "scares" and pretty sure it makes scareactors get into it. But when I got to the scene with dolls standing and you don't know which one is real, I honestly forgot that part even existed until I got like halfway through. I was screaming "I DON'T REMEMBER THIS PART" and was making myself scared 'cause I really didn't know which one was real. I don't remember the ending at all to this maze, but I remember running out screaming (pretending to be scared) and laughing. I'm pretty sure all the final scares came out to get my GF and I since we were alone and they just kept coming.

Design/Scare/Etc. Rating: A-

• The seance scene. Pretty much everything wrong with it. The transition were just drapes. Why no beads like in the movie? It was set for them and they didn't do it. And not even one real person at the table? That gas mask is creepy as fuck and was wasted. The red demon can't even move 'cause he's stuck behind the table. =\ Pretty sure his character could be one of those "get up in your face" characters 'cause it's genuinely freaky. Too many pictures on the wall during transition scenes. I understand there can't always be something, but it was way overdone in this maze. Kinda took me out of feeling like I was there. Just watched a hallway with like four doors. It looks like not a single one was real. I don't think trying to build suspense that way works for mazes. I'd rather be scared every room and have it be like "Oh, god, not again" rather than, "Oh.. Nothing even happened." The red candle, narrow hallway scene, with the two huge holes that can easily fit people behind. What the fuuuuck. No one? I honestly was too scared to look over the edge in fear someone would pop out just as I look over, but it turns out I was stupid for being scared 'cause no one was there. Ugh, why? That'd be such a good spot. They should put me in there if they think it's too small. I'll fit like seven of me in half of one side.. Lol. I stated earlier in the discussion thread; idk for HHN in general or for Insidious, but the scene where all the victims under the white sheets were sitting; they really should've put a different scare tactic there. They should've made guests push through it (ignoring the fact that they were sitting in pews, it would've been fine..) and then have scares from the side. It would've been SO different from normal HHN and it was perfect for it. And at Queen Mary and Knott's, they have that black blow-up thing that they make people push themselves through. Pretty sure that would've been great for "The Further" especially with some fog. Ugh, wasted potential. I liked the red demon in the glass cage. It was really up close. Was there an actual "final" scare? I don't think anything intense..
  • A lot of people said this was the scariest maze this year. I don't have a personal opinion, but I don't blame them thinking that. Saw a demon get really in the face of people in the crib room. Props to him, he seemed to be really into it. Also just watched a guy stand behind drapes in his wall boo-hole. His face was so clear and made himself so obvious that he was there, he looked like a normal person, he tried to scare someone by going "Ahhh" very softly and then smiled and went back to his boo-hole without hiding and kept smiling. Downvote. Lol. I think this one may be the scariest, because it has the most scare places. Some seem a little too distant from the people to the boo-hole, but they're still there. While the other mazes have tons of more dummies or animatronics and just scenery that doesn't allow for scares to be in the room. Or like Evil Dead. With tons of open space and potential for scares and nothing's there at all. This maze doesn't have much of that. Pretty much takes up all it can, excluding the pictures on the wall.
  • Etc.? Hmm. The Further wasn't played out very well. I never felt like I was in there. I forgot to even look for it while I was in the maze. They did a fairly good job. What they should've changed, there's no way they can by the end, so not much else to say.

5. Black Sabbath: Overall: C

Everyone can eat a crow toenail or something 'cause I didn't like the idea in the first place and it didn't turn out very well. Read the review before bashing on me for saying that (I'm well aware everyone has different opinions).

Pre-Review discussion:

• I did not like the idea of this maze at all. Alice Cooper, as a music maze, was brand new, and though I didn't care for him, I didn't mind testing the maze. Now, his first maze was amazing; my favourite that year. The next one, was kool, but that was it. Black Sabbath is not very horror related at all.. I highly doubt anyone listens to them for their demented lyrics. I wasn't doubting that they are scary, or that their maze couldn't be scary, but I felt like they didn't need to do this maze. We don't NEED a music maze. We don't NEED a band that just came out with a new album. It was unnecessary, and I'll admit, a lot of my desire for this theme to not happen comes from me not being a fan of Black Sabbath pretty much at all. I like a few songs; War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man, etc. But I would never care or want to see it in a maze. I get there are fans, who appreciate it much more than I do. But when I said I don't like the idea of this theme, everyone just started hating on me for not giving it a chance. They assumed wrong, I was always going to give it a chance. As I said, I knew it had potential, just like Alice Cooper. I just didn't agree with it coming to be. And in my opinion, if the idea was passed up for another, I'm pretty sure we'd have a better maze in its place.

• Opening night. Ugh, standing in this line was a bitch, lol. This was the second maze I went in after that terrible thing happened to me that night. And it had a huge wait compared to Walking Dead. Waiting in that line, feeling the way I did, for that long, terrible experience. Let's just skip this day. But wait, one thing. The distraction scene (the room with the water-head Saw trap), my girlfriend was staring at what was happening inside the cage. The bird from behind came out to scare her, and failed, but noticed that she didn't know he was there. So he got real up close behind her, and stood, waiting for like 5 seconds. She finally turned around, screamed SUPER loud, and pushed me so hard, I would've knocked over the people in front of me if they were one step closer.
  • K, hi, guys. This was great. I'll repeat what I've said before, WE WERE ALONE IN THIS MAZE; COMPLETELY. My legs were so goddamn sore this day. I don't workout, walk, run, or move from my bed all day. So walking as much as I did and running down the stairs the previous day. Yeah.. I was sore. BUT I PRESSED ON. I fast-walked as slow as I could while my girlfriend and I saw no one in the line or coming into the line. In previous years when I was first lined up, they stopped me and waited for other people to come before letting me in. This time, no hesitations, never stopped walking, we went in. Sadly, I didn't like this maze the day before; regardless of the way I was feeling. There wasn't much 3D? At least nothing crazy; or new feeling. I mean HoTC, that was brand new, and I feel like the 3D was more in your face at all times. Even on pictures or just handprints on the wall. In Black Sabbath, it was just colourful. I was never scared to be alone (and this was our very first maze of the night), not even slightly, not even once. It was way too bright and colourful to be scary. Although, I saw something kool, I have no idea what it's like to be a scareactor (yet) or if they know if people are coming (even if it's just two people, like in my case), or not, but the Lucifer character was already acting when I turned the character. It's good that he wasn't just standing there and then started when someone came in. Idk. Props for no loss of immersion. The ending always seems so abrupt and disappointing. Btw, we went in a second time, I did the whole maze without my glasses. It was kind of more enjoyable. I wasn't distracted by the glossy lenses or trying to keep the glasses on or anything. I didn't feel like I was really missing anything, and it was easier to pay attention to detail. And the bright light flash scare, if it's even supposed to be a scare. That was just too bright and relatively annoying.

Design/Scare/Etc. Rating: C-

• The design was pretty kool, I guess. The rock monsters were very hard to see the first time I went, since I didn't know what to look for. So, that was new. Everything looked good and was eye candy, but it was in no way scary. But as everyone said, complete waste of a soundstage. All of it, and more, could've been done in a tent elsewhere. Nothing except looking up at the ceiling resembled anything that could've only been done in a soundstage. Pretty disappointing. Are they not allowed to put scareactors in confined spaces? I find that a dumb excuse if that's the case, 'cause scarezone actors are always up right next to people just fine. The two door transition, that's a perfect spot to scare. All someone would have to do is open the door and I'm sure people would get scared since they're so close.
  • There was not much scary in this maze, was there? I know there were a few rooms that were a little darker, but overall, not scary. Never got scared. Never felt scared.
  • The nice look of the maze did not help enough to be ok with it not being scary. I was fairly disappointed. Don't see why they needed to do this maze and why everyone was so excited for it. They didn't use many songs from the new album. Idk, maybe I'm completely wrong, but I didn't think it was a great maze, idea, theme, potential, or anything. But that's just me.

6. Walking Dead: Overall Rating: B+

• First-off. I give props to the scareactors in the cage who can still scare people even after the people know well-ahead of time who you are and where you are. So, I have no interest in this show. I barely know anything about it. And I don't care for zombies. They don't scare me, they bore me now more than ever since they're being overdone like vampires. None of the character designs are scary to me. They just look like different deformed people. Nothing weird there. But in that scene with heads in the water, was the moving one supposed to hit his head on the side really hard? He did the first time, and I never saw it happen again. Also, I had this epiphany right now that sounds scare me so much more than pop-outs. When the head hit the wall, I remember flinching from the noise. In Kill, Jason, Kill, there's a room where Jason slammed the fence against something, and it made a loud bang against metal. That scared me. Knott's overdoes the noises and HHN underdoes it.
  • My girlfriend has this fear of zombies; like crazy apparently. She seemed relatively ok in the maze. Nothing special happened here this night.

Design/Scare/Etc. Rating: B

• Design, I guess I can't say much. I can't compare it to the show 'cause I don't watch it or want to. In terms of atmosphere, I liked it. There weren't too many blank walls. The arrows seemed useful, lol. It all looked real, depending on where you were. I liked it. It was kool. Nothing crazy and nothing stood out in particular (Other than the water head scene, idk what it represents from the show, but it was pretty kool in my opinion just in general). Wonder what they could've done in a soundstage, but honestly, I don't ever want to find out 'cause they'd have to repeat Walking Dead for the third time.. But based off the amount of merchandise they focused with it, I wouldn't be surprised seeing it every year it exists. So forever.
  • Scares, weren't that great. The Cell block room looked kool. But not much going on in the cells. They should've had something come down from above, even just like a head on a string or something. A distraction from above. Even after watching the video, it wasn't that scary of a maze. Seemed more like a fan appreciation maze, to put them in the show, but not really scare them. Could've done more with zombies in general, but didn't turn out too well. Also, the giant animatronic with like 7 zombies that pop out. Umm? It was really interesting. But I'd take scary over interesting any day, and that shit wasn't scary.
  • Etc.? Don't do Walking Dead again? That's my own opinion 'cause I'm not interested in it (Saying that for the 50th time). But just don't. I'm glad it was all-new (and it really was, not just advertising saying that), but I think we can put it to rest now. Especially having the Terror Tram twice with it. Basically four Walking Dead things. Plus the scarezone. I'm good. I'm done. It was inevitable for it to come the first time, it was obvious it'd be back a second, but it shouldn't come again.

Bill and Ted's: Overall Rating: Lol, fuck you.

Not even worth reviewing. Copy-pasting this shit from what I wrote in the Bill and Ted's Discussion thread.

• It was a piece of shit show. Didn't laugh once. Not a single time. Gollum/Smeagol or whatever was the best actor, but they milked the Les Mis references too much. I hate MOST, almost all popular music now-a-days, so I disagree saying to add Get Lucky/Thrift Shop, only 'cause I fucking hate those god damn songs so fucking much, from the moment I first heard them, holy shit. But that's a personal preference. That being said, I think the only song I did like was My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark by Fall Out Boy. If there were any others, I must've not liked them very much to forget. ALL the other songs were shit, forgettable, random, and terrible. Worst show by far.

And just like my GF said, she thought the Miley Cyrus was funny, up until they blatantly called out the joke and said it was a guy.

And yeah, Dorothy actually singing was stupid. Why can't they make it sound real, but change the lyrics to something funny?

Also, I didn't know what The Fox thing was until today. It's stupid, in my opinion. Bad addition to the show and made no sense. Not funny.

They can put in popular songs, regardless of how much I personally hate them (Even though they somehow failed that this year, even though I hated all the songs they chose anyway), but when they had popular oldies. I loved that. I'm not that big of a fan of oldies as I used to be, but the fact that they used it, was amazing to me. It mixed in perfectly and it was a great addition. They didn't do that.

The whole show was terrible and not funny. I've never HATED a Bill and Ted's show. And my first one I saw was 2009's... I've had it where I didn't think it was very good, but I've never hated it. This show, I HATED. Oh my god, it was so terrible. I'm not exaggerating on any of this btw and obviously it's my own personal opinion on it.

When my girlfriend and I went the second day and finished EVERYTHING by like 10, if not earlier, I was like, "We could always waste time and watch a Bill and Ted's show" and we both just started laughing. It's not even worth it if you have 4 hours to spare. I advise avoiding it at all costs... Man, did I hate this show.

Seeing the green screen people again saddened me. The year they were first used, I thought they were hilarious. Then I saw the show again and most of their scenes were cut and I was so sad.. Then I think they brought it slightly back, but it wasn't the same. This year, pointless. Not funny. Stupid.

But the three backflips were kinda kool...

Short, closing statements:

• Welp, I guess I'm done. (Please remind me if I missed something, I'll make time to make a review of it). The year was good, I enjoyed it very much. My second night was so amazing, it really amp'd up all my ratings. Not the best year, not the worst. Oh yeah, and I auditioned to be a scareactor (and got it) with literally 2 hours of sleep. Pretty pro. Hopefully I can bring it up with my own scareacting included. Not a big person, though. :P Wonder where they'll place me; anywhere I'll fit I suppose (LOL GET IT). Lol, this shit took 2 hours straight. No breaks.
  • Have to end this off on a sad note. As much as I loved the second night (And you guys can tell how much I loved it) my girlfriend, did not. She said it was "eh." She'd have been fine without going. She only went 'cause she knew she doesn't do much for me (in terms of going places). She only went 'cause she knows how much I love HHN. She'd have been ok leaving by 10 PM. Lol, yeah. Talk about depressing to have such a fun night with a person who barely cared.
Edited by Kurseddragon

Good review man! I agree, I hope we don't see walking dead every year. =\ only way I wouldn't mind seeing it , is if it's put ONLY in the terror tram. Then USH can still advertise it while not using up a maze venue for it.

Maybe , since season 4 is also taking place in the prison, they re-use the prison portion of the maze and place it in the terror tram and have it a part of that attraction. Would be pretty cool.

Edited by shark23