HHN 2013: VIP Experience: The Insidious Experiment

Grindhousehero13

I bought a VIP ticket for 9/28..Going with my sisters and my nephews (first HHN for them)...It is an early birthday present to myself and I am looking forward to the Valet Parking , dinner ,Spectral sightings investigation and most importantly going straight to the front of the line. I recently hurt my leg and I am using a cane...Can't wait to read all this weekends reviews.

Light show, lol. Kind of. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER its a projection of a 5 minute cgi movie onto a house and it sucks. I will respect everyone's opinion about HHN 2013 in general, but if you go to VIP and you like this part of the VIP, then I would have to say you have horrible taste.

• Like 1

Lmfao omg that made me laugh so hard.

Thank god I didn't do anything stupid and splurge on this when normally I wouldn't. I was SO interested in seeing this and was convinced I was missing out like it was an extra maze or something.

For some reason, it reminds me of Ghost Galaxy...

I just saw the video for this and I didnt really like it at all maybe it would be better if I were there live but it didnt really make me interested at all...

Reviews and videos are just a reference for each attraction and, in my opinion, should never replace the nature of enjoying the event live. Ultimately, It's hard to get excited over poorly shot, or nightcam videos. The opening ceremonies seem to be the only media where you get an optimal feel for an attraction. The private tour of the VIP was silly last year and turned off most of the guests in our group but I applaud them for trying create something more thematic. My thought is that many guests gave poor ratings or comments for this part of the tour (I know I did) and Universal needed to up the ante a bit.

Universal should just keep it simple; a few years ago I was thrilled just to walk through Courtyard Square at night and hope to someday visit Stage 28 or the prop warehouse. Or, bring in special guests nightly to briefly meet with VIP in the Universal Experience (for example, Lugosi or Karloff's kids, special effects artists, etc). If you are going to go the route of creating a fully, fleshed-out scarezone, utilize more of the great HHN scareactors! Overall, the food and unlimited FOL is what makes this admission worthwhile.

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 1

To me from watching the video of the VIP experience it didn't seem worth it for the extra $90 I would of had to pay to upgrade from FOL to VIP even as a huge fan of Insidious. Not enough live actors scaring people during the VIP experience but I guess that's not what they were going for. The house with the projections was awesome but I was satisfied with just watching it online.

I guess if you value the Unlimited FOL and Free Food w/ drinks really high around like the $75 range and like $15 for the Paranormal stuff then I guess its worth it. Personally I'm cool with going through all the houses once then using my FOL to go through once more that's enough for me in one night.

Edited by Hatchet

I did VIP this weekend and had a blast with the experience. Was it corny? Yeah. Was it worth the upcharge? Not necessarily.

But we weren't disappointed at all. It was something new and fun and we had an amazing group of people on our tour.

Everyone had a blast with each other. I'll be posting my review of my night shortly.

I've been quiet this year as I decided to spend as little time on here as possible to avoid any spoilers, but I've gone now so I can chime in.

As far as the VIP thing goes, I didnt so much buy it for the Insidious Experiment as I did for all the other goodies associated with the VIP ticket. Dinner (which consisted of a sprawling buffet including sushi, sandwiches, several salads, gyros(!!!), spaghetti with meatballs, buffalo wings....etc.), drinks all night (endless soda and water, 2 free beers/wines per person and the real kicker for me, all the Full Throttle energy drinks you can pour down your gullet), and unlimited front of the line access. The interactive element was neat, and actually interactive (if you go, you'll see how) but a little too gimmicky for me. All in all, it was a cool experience. If you do it, try the funnel fries, so good.