Halloween Horror Nights 2013 Planning and Tips

On 10/24 we did early entry and were done with the backlot and lower lot mazes and attractions by 9:10. This included The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven twice, Transformers 3 times, and everything else once. Then went up and did scarezones and UMR (no wait) before getting in the 60 minute line for Terror Tram. I didn't check the time, but the TT line moved so fast that I'm pretty sure the line was closer to 30-40 minutes. El Cucuy has a 15 minute posted wait time, but for some reason the line stopped moving for about 10 minutes so the wait time was closer to 25 minutes. We decided to skip The Simpsons (35 minute wait) and left around 11:30. Really didn't feel like we got our money's worth without Bill and Ted. They should consider doing something as a replacement even if it's opening Shrek during HHN. The upper lot felt so dead (not in a good way) with so little to do up there.

Went tonight too.

The park was pretty damn empty for a sell out night. More empty than the other sell out Thursdays I've been.

Longest line I waited in was Cucuy for 20 mins.

Bill and Ted would've been the perfect icing to the cake on this trip.

We took our sweet ass time tonight. We even missed early entry by a few mins but when we arrived at 640, the park was already open.

Once again did EVERYTHING and even did two repeats.

Had very long bathroom breaks, dinner breaks, snack stops, waiting for other friend stops, hanging out in scarezone stops, random "what next?" stops, "oh let's take a picture!" stops, "go ahead in front of us" wait behinds, gift shop browse, etc, and was done with everything by 12:30.

I went alone in 07. Very fun actually. You get to do everything YOU wanna do and at your own pace. Have your phone charged for when ur bored in lines. Think of some icebreakers if u wanna chat with the ppl around u. And be prepared to be targeted - scareactors love ganging up on loners.

• Like 2

UPPER LOT
El Cucuy - 55 min
Terror Tram - CLOSED
Monsters Remix - 15 min
Simpsons - 30 min

LOWER LOT
Insidious - 140 min
Evil Dead - 65 min
Transformers - 55 min
Revenge of the Mummy - 55 min
Jurassic Park - 20 min

BACKLOT
Walking Dead - 115 min
Black Sabbath - 80 min
Last updated 12:11 AM

Seems about the same as the Saturdays from last week and the week before. Insidious is still getting more repeat love from TWD, probably fueled in part by Murdy's twitter updates about how it's the number one rated maze this year.

Quite simple now that there's no Bill and Ted.

Early access

Backlot - Walking Dead - Black Sabbath

Return to Lower Lot - Insidious - Evil Dead

Return to Upper Lot - Terror Tram - El Cucuy - UMR

Then rides

If you were more experienced, id say do rides in between, but since Iwant to make sure u do EVERY MAZE, do rides after everything. If u do everything right, you'll be done by 10 anyway and the ride lines will fill up the rest of the night. Or you could do repeats. Or both.

• Like 1

If you decide to not do early entry, DTH plan's still works.

Here's some important notes to add on.

If you decide to not do early entry, get to the gates very, very early. If you get stuck in the masses of people who somehow don't move when chainsaws are coming at them, you will get stuck behind. The earlier you are in the night, the more important time is. I cannot stress that enough. When we went we did Insidious first and then hauled ass to TWD. After that we were in the line for TWD by 7:15, about a ten minute wait. While in line I saw the line for those ten minutes I saw it grow considerably. By the time we got out the line was 30 minutes. By the time we went through Black Sabbath and were on our way to the lower lot it had grown to an hour. That was 7:45.

When you are in the gates, run. No really, run. Run the entire way down the scarewell and to the tram to the backlot. Most people don't want to run, so if you do run you will be ahead of the 200 or so people who are also doing TWD first. Once you get to No Safe Haven stop running. Speed walk though.

When going up the scarecase, most people will get the idea if you are running up the scarecase and then have to stop because they are blocking the way. Again, minutes really add up early on. You can pretty much only do this early on in the night where most people are still going down to the lower lot. Later in the night the scareway is an unmoving mass of people and your only hope for speed is to run up the stairs. If you can manage to run up the stairs, do it. It's great cardio and you'll be in front of all of those people who are also about to get on the terror tram.

When I went there were two lines for TT. The further one is shorter. Do that one.

The exit for El Cucuy is going to dump you into the French Klownz. However, the line for El Cucuy makes it so you would have to go around the entire Universal Plaza to get to Remix. Take a left, go around the back of the maze, and into Curse of Chucky. You can get to UMR pretty easily from there. From there walk to the front of the park, turn around and enjoy Survive the Night. Go back through Curse of Chucky and then go back through the French Klownz. After that, hey. Your call.

As for rides vs. no rides, I'll say this. The rides are going to be around for a long long time, the mazes are going to be there for three more days.

• Like 3