Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

... I would oddly want to see that lol

I know i haven't been much help this speculation season, but the hints so far have been too vague for me to even do some light research and digging. I really wanna get involved, but all the hints so far I feel are purposely impossible and light on info, as where before they were just excruciatingly hard. The hints need to narrow things down, or else ill just sit back for the next month and wait for the announcements to roll in without a care of winning a contest that seems half-rigged anyway.

• Like 1

The worst for me is John, because there's dozens of answers that make as much sense as the next. Trickster is a SOB too since there's so many hints, but the only hints that make any sense for any of the hints are contradicted by the other hints. The Name Game...well I don't even know where to start with that. Hopefully more hints roll in so we can make some sense of it.

Trickster being such a "surprise" is what gets me too...

I'm thinking that CITW is likely since the director (Joss) has a good amount of starpower and Murdy seems to enjoy big name directors. It's also a Lionsgate movie, as were Saw, MBV, and Hostel. It's showing good staying power with DVD/blu ray sales, even in today's download/streaming business models. Other horror movies that made close to what it made in 2011 or 2012 are A. not horror movies B. PG13 Exorcist ripoffs (that's more a matter of taste) C. Involves a lot of children (casting issues) D. a ghost movie with shadows.

Any other guesses for likely IPs besides AHS, CITW, Evil Dead, and Mama?

Edited by ferox

... I would oddly want to see that lol I know i haven't been much help this speculation season, but the hints so far have been too vague for me to even do some light research and digging. I really wanna get involved, but all the hints so far I feel are purposely impossible and light on info, as where before they were just excruciatingly hard. The hints need to narrow things down, or else ill just sit back for the next month and wait for the announcements to roll in without a care of winning a contest that seems half-rigged anyway.
That's exactly how I feel. It's almost as if John is doing the code names and hints to satisfy the fans that have come to expect them, but purposely made them so vague and hard in hope that none of them are really guessed and unanimously agreed upon before they are announced. Makes sense really, give the fans what they want, but do it in a way that ensures that the maze announcements really are "surprises" as instead of just "confirmations."

What would you guys do if Murdy released the mazes and they were all just horror movies no one's ever heard of? (Or mostly)

Or what if just one was a movie no one's heard of?

As somebody who watches a bunch of movies the GP hasn't heard of, I'd be very excited. Speaking of that, Murdy has given a few strong "nos" regarding if he's ever seen Lords of Salem. Lords of Salem is like a bizarro world TWD. Every new piece of information about TWD makes me think TWD is going to happen, but everything I hear about Lords of Salem says there isn't a chance in (ACGT)Hell.

Back to speculation...

kvjqj.jpg

"Oh boy! When you come home and find this on the dining room table, you have to wonder. Ummm Phantom?"

A hint about Studio 28?

Edited by ferox

You know, the Phantom head could just be a Cooper hint. I'm not saying that the theme of the maze is going to be Phantom, or that I have any clue what it would be for that matter. Anyway...

In his video Live at Montreux his band uses the Phantom of the Opera in the opening melody. Stéphanie Montreux played Christine in Phantom of the Opera. There's also the hanging scene, the Vincent Price connection, Billy Bob Thorton called Cooper the Lon Chaney Sr. of rock and roll, and just the general theatrical nature of Cooper.

Or not.

---

Or it could just be saying that Lon Chaney Sr. is the famous makeup artist.

---

Or it could relate to
Gino Acevedo, who made the mask.

See that Phantom picture? Now put vertical lines down the eyes. What do you have? I've been telling you... Phantom Alice will happen!

I don't know....As cool as Alice of the Opera would be, I think that would be a tad obvious for Trickster. That would be a cool idea and a great grand finale to the trilogy, but I don't think that's what Trickster would be. Whatever it is, I think it's going to be something that would just come out of nowhere.

"Perimeters and theme"? Interesting. HHN has never really cared about overall theme since 2010. I wonder if they are trying to have an overall theme for the event this year. Think about it. If Murdy was taking the event the same direction it always has, I don't think they would really care what theme it involves. I would especially be interested in the fact that this is the 100th anniversary of the Universal monsters.

Oh, by the way, I updated the cheat sheet.

With a fan-created character contest, Murdy would have to put some limits on the submissions with a theme or at least a general concept to give fans some target to aim at. Otherwise he'd be getting character designs on every theme from Phantom of the Opera to Star Wars. To really give fans creative freedom to make a character that meets HHN's needs, he'll have to give contest entries some guidelines and see who can fit them best with the coolest design. Give fans a square of canvas that limits their submission but let them fill it anyway they want -- that would make the contest easiest to judge and probably give the best character to use.

He'd have to be even more specific if the character were to appear in a maze, but I doubt that will happen since it's too much of a spoiler to reveal an IP.

Buncha hint tweets!

Back to some frustratingly ambiguous hints for maze #1 code named "Trickster." I said before that it was strangely inspired by a book but......It occurred to me that it also was inspired by a movie. It also occurred to me that there is a classic horror connection to that movie..As for the facade of this maze, it was inspired by a real location...that location is in France. Its one of the time periods I mentioned....I'll let you stew on that...as for Maze #2 code named "Name Game" I said it has something to do with the careers of 3 people...Those people are 1) A famous make up artist 2) a star of an NBC sitcom that debuted in the 90's and 3) the member of a famous boy band. Enough people have guessed one of them so should reveal that the former boy band member is JT. But how does his career relate to the others? Well that's the fun of "The Name Game" What's in a name after all? Sometimes we use full names, sometimes not...confused? Good. #carny And what of maze #3 code named "John" Seems pretty vague...of course its named after a famous John. Was this John ever an actor, yes....Was he ever on a TV show? Yes. Does he have other talents? Yes. Have I met him? Not quite...could have, met people he worked with...That's enough for now, all will be revealed in time. I said these hints would be diabolically hard and could drive you insane...I warned you.You can try to figure them out but be careful, once you go down the rabbit hole, you may never come out again. Mwaaa Haaa Haaa HA! #carny

So new stuff!

It is for sure JT, and he's doing something weird with the "name" in the name game. So that leaves only a few dead people...

Trickster was also inspired by a movie and has a classic horror connection.

The facade is based on a place in Paris from one of the four eras he mentioned. Before we take that too literally, remember the ACGTH was based on that club in Paris.

As he mentioned before, John has acted at some point and has other talents. He's never met him, but could have (meaning they had to be alive at the same time) and worked with people he's worked with.

Has he mentioned the "rabbit hole" before?

Well, for "Trickster" the clues could lead to Phantom of the Opera:

- partly inspired by Gaston Leroux's novel

- partly inspired by the 1925 film (maybe even inspired by later remakes)

- classic horror connection thru Lon Chaney Sr. playing the Phantom (obvious Universal history connection)

- facade could mimic the entrance to the Paris opera house (in France, obviously)

- Opera house was built 1861-1875 (during the Victorian Era)

- "Trickster" could refer to the Phantom's mask (two faced) and his seemingly magical/supernatural tricks of appearing/disappearing and murders

I can see Murdy using some underground Paris scene of catacombs or sewers that might date back to the medieval era (since most of European cities are built over the ruins of previous eras). If Murdy uses direct references to the Chaney film, that might account for an "early 20th century" setting, but that's a stretch since the opera house was completed many years before the 20th.

But the above doesn't fit the 1950s at all -- even the Claude Rains version was shot in 1943 but it wasn't set in that era, so that's a miss.

Another way to explore... in Murdy's Monsterpalooza presentation, he talked about inspirations for ACGTH maze last year and mentioned an old club in Paris called Cabaret de l'Enfer ("The Cabaret of the Inferno"), one of several gothic/supernatural themed nightclubs popular at the end of the 1800s (the Victorian era again). It's possible his research last year inspired him to expand on ideas/designs in the Inferno club for this year and expand upon it... maybe for the trilogy-capping Alice maze?

I don't know how this fits into the rest of the "Trickster" clues but he could use any variety of novels and films for content inspiration inside the maze as a story line.

Descriptions and images of such clubs found in this article for review.

That's way too on the nose. The Coopereque hints (inspired by a book, Paris facade) both for the same maze seem to be honeypots, especially when he just gave a speech about those elements of the maze. He's primed you to think in that direction, and it's almost certainly a distraction.

Buncha hint tweets!

So new stuff!

It is for sure JT, and he's doing something weird with the "name" in the name game. So that leaves only a few dead people...

Trickster was also inspired by a movie and has a classic horror connection.

The facade is based on a place in Paris from one of the four eras he mentioned. Before we take that too literally, remember the ACGTH was based on that club in Paris.

As he mentioned before, John has acted at some point and has other talents. He's never met him, but could have (meaning they had to be alive at the same time) and worked with people he's worked with.

Has he mentioned the "rabbit hole" before?

What he said about JT "Sometimes we don't use the whole" maybe the other names are ones that we cut down such as Justin Timberlake, JT.

• Like 1