Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

As a read it...

There's something related to the maze (I believe Murdy said it was the title) that these two men have in common with their past career with a famous makeup artists. These two moments that relate to each other in some way involve two different men with the same name.

So in theory, the NBC star had a horrible time with Clint Howard and the boy band member had a great time with Clint Eastwood. Something about those two experiences would relate to a famous makeup artist and lead to the name of the maze. Obviously that's not the answer, but it would follow that formula.

Justin Timberlake starred in Trouble With the Curve with Eastwood.

This may be unrelated, but he also sang the song "Space Cowboys" for the soundtrack of the film of the same name.

That's just off the top of my head though.

Edited by DTH316

Yeah, the whole TCM/Quigley thing. Could be the case, or could be "too obvious" to use Clint again.

As for I Still Know...It's 16 years old. It got some GP attention way back then, but it's largely (heh) forgotten. The franchise wasn't kept alive by sequels or remakes (well the was a sequel in 2006 that was DTV). The director is an mostly unrecognizable name There was supposed to be 3D sequel in 2011 but it was canceled. Hardcore horror fans generally consider it cheap pop horror. So the casual horror fan/GP would barely remember it, if they were old enough to see it when it came out. I know people see horror movies that were made before they were born, but I Still Know doesn't hold much weight in the pantheon of iconic horror that bears rewatching by future generations.

Also, The Fisherman isn't that great of a character. A small little hook that isn't that scary compared to a glove made of blades/machete/pickaxe/butcher's knife/chainsaw. I mean you don't need a big weapon to be scary, (the hitchhiker scared me to death with his little pocket knife, but that was thanks to his excellent use of shadows) but the hook doesn't really have any stage presence without camera work that makes it look more threatening.

I was thinking the same as y'all, but i wanted to gage some of your reactions. Personally I love it and would love to see it as a maze (have an opening beach scene with the shipwrecked boat would be awesome, SMG haircut scene, Leonard from BBT's death, dead body in the trunk, fisherman's sisters house, locker room, beauty pageant, SMG chase, department store of mannequins, and a finale on a boat - or the steamy bathroom). Damn... too bad its lost in the 90s, but it really was the best 90s teen slasher outside of Scream, with Urban Legend being a close third.

Let's just not talk about venues. Either they decide it can work or it doesn't, it's just thread filler to go back and forth on that. It will sure make the construction updates interesting though.

Yeah, Murdy's really stepping up his codename game. Only two released with very minimal hints. The Name Game only has hints related to decoding the codeword with no hints related to the property...and Trickster only has hints related to the property. There seems to be enough hints that it would be easy to deduce it down to a few properties, but all of the probable ones contradict another hint. Well, The Name Game was mentioned to be new too.

The only thing that makes sense for Trickster is HP Lovecraft for me,but it's up for debate if he's well known enough to say "we all know."

I'm 99% sure that The Name Game isn't AHS, but 75% confident that AHS is happening this year. There doesn't seem to be a ton of contemporary (depending on your definition) horror movies out that really meet the standards, so I can see Murdy and company deciding TV IPs work. I mean if that's where the good horror is...go for it.

There's certainly a lot of pressure now that more of the GP knows about Evil Dead. If Knotts keeps what is now an even bigger IP thanks to the prequel/sequel/whatever it was, that would be a huge blow to HHN. When asked about a certain technical aspect of Evil Dead Murdy said "That would be quite a challenge." It would be quite the challenge.

Murdy said that maze #3 has a lot of little tiny details. I was going to try to connect that to some IP, but then I remembered that every maze last year (except for Remix arguably) had a lot of little tiny details.

Speaking of Remix, it got the highest GP ratings from any HOH overlay. Murdy admitted the idea was silly though. To be honest, I can see Murdy wanting to do something of the same style. By that I mean it makes more sense to just pump up the existing HOH rather than pretending Wolfman's castle just happens to have vampire coffins, mummies, and a Chucky room in it. And that's from somebody who hates dubstep. I like the approach, but the concept can use some work.

The third code name has been released "JOHN"

-a famous "John" has something to do with the theme of this maze

Also he tweeted that all the properties for this year are locked now and their moving on to design so we'll probably start getting more hints as Murdy learns more about the properties

Awww! But its so easy! OK Its not that easy....3 people that have a name in common that ties to their careers. An NBC TV star whose show debuted in the 90s, a famous boy band member and a famous make up artist...Have to figure out who those 3 people are first....then the common name that ties to their careers. Not that brutal

So my theory is right about how the name game works. Now how to crack it...that's another case.

ALSO. NEW CODENAME. AAAAHHH YEAAHHH.

Something to do with the theme of the maze.

Throwing some stuff out there....

John Lithgow=Alien?

John 117 (character from Halo)=Alien?

There's a bunch of biblical Johns. Religious horror=AHS/Exorcist?

John F Kennedy=Not sure what it would be, but Murdy was named after him.

John Lennon=Well The Beatles wrote a lot of songs...I'll look at some song titles.

Note that this is the one codename he didn't say is new...so it could very well be TWD or Alice Cooper. This could be revealing the theme of the Cooper swan song.

Edit: Cooper maze would work in a way, since the first hint for a Cooper maze was "Steven" and then "Dante." But as of now we have no idea what the Cooper theme could be, so we'll see.

There's John Wayne who was a Classic Cowboy...

John Wayne Gacy=Clowns=Alice Cooper. Or anything based in a circus or with mass graves. Trick R Treat? Doubtful because of the school bus scene and the recent school shootings.

The Catholic upbringing thing makes me think he's talking about one of the popes that went by John. There's a ton of stuff there.

There's John as surname...Elton John? Crocodile Rock=Eaten Alive=Tobe Hooper?

John can also mean somebody who picks up a prostitute. So it could be Hugh Grant, Charlie Sheen, Jerry Springer, or Eddie Murphy. He did put "John" in "quotation marks."

Eddie Murphy was in a movie called Holy Man...then again Eddie Murphy is a part of a kids attraction at Universal so it might be a bit risque to bring up Eddie's sordid past.

John Cleese?

John Cusack?

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

John Connor = Terminator = Judgement Day = ??? Wasn't there some kind of "End of the World/Armageddon" maze every one wanted or something? Idk lol

"It's The End of the World As We Know It" was the answer to a major TWD clue last year.

So there was recent news that the log ride at Knotts doesn't plan to have an overlay this Halloween or Christmas. So it could mean that 1. Knotts is going to try to make an actual Evil Dead house or do a scarezone 2. The IP is going to HHN 3. Neither park gets it. But it does help with the speculation for Evil Dead coming to HHN this year.

I think it may mean that Knotts will do a full fledged maze... or neither. At this point, I don't see why Sony would switch allegiances unless (hopefully) they've come to their senses and have seen first hand that HHN puts on a better quality show. Fingers crossed their alliance ends, cuz there's some good Sony properties we're missing out on.

As I said before, although I'd rather see the original Evil Dead movies made into a maze more than almost anything else. But the remake Evil Dead...I could take or leave as an IP. I'm sure it would be a great experience, but I wouldn't get that "OH DAMN THEY ARE DOING IT!" hype yknow?

ANYWAY. HINTS AHOOOY.

Now that we have a code name for maze #3 ("John"), time to release a couple hints. But be thee warned! The code name is diabolically hard! Something about this famous "John" reveals the theme to the maze, he also has a connection to another gentlemen whose name is a hint. This famous "John" also has a strange connection to the theme of maze #1 (code named Trickster), they have something in common....Of course I share the first name with this famous "John" but we share something else...well not originally, but later....I have never met this famous "John" but I worked with someone who worked with him a lot....gonna have to really dig to find that info...

Now let's get back to maze #2 (code name "Name Game"). There is a "name" in common with 3 famous individuals that reveals the maze theme...1 was a star of a NBC sitcom that debuted in the 90's, 1 was a famous boy band member & 1 was a famous make up artist...Its something in common with their careers...here's a new hint. Only 2 of them are living...1 is deceased....????

But what of maze #1 code named "Trickster"? Here's a hint...a city in England that is also a city in the US, the name appears in the maze...I'll leave you to ponder all that...but beware, trying to unravel these hints may drive you INSANE! Ta Ta for now! Mwaa ha HA! Go Lakers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_in_the_United_States_named_after_places_in_England

So Murdy said the hint doesn't have to do with the death of Phil Hartman...but it might have something to do with Phil Hartman's life? I can't think of any other dead NBC sitcom stars. Or boy band members...

Does the Jackson 5 count as a boy band? There's Michael Jackson of course. There's Stephan Gately from Boyzone. They are obscure enough to be used in a Murdy hint.

"Gately made his pantomime debut at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley in December 2005 starring as Dandini in Cinderella. In April 2006 he took on the role of The Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz at the Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury.
Gately also took part in Channel Five's All Star Talent Show in October 2006, performing the slice and dice magic trick which he only had a week to learn, coming second to Toby Anstis. He was also in the second series of ITV's Dancing on Ice with his dancing partner Kristina Lenko. They went out in eighth place on 10 February 2007.
In March 2007, Gately provided his vocal talents to the Big Finish Productions Doctor Who audio play, Horror of Glam Rock.
In September 2007, Gately began touring the UK in an 11-week run of Stephen Schwartz's rock musical Godspell, but withdrew from the production after just three weeks for contractual reasons.[29]
In 2008, Gately appeared in the independent horror film, Credo which was released in the United States as Devil's Curse."

Nothing that really stands out...though...

Since this is a speculation thread, let me throw my ideas in for "Name Game"

Ok

-"The first name you are looking for is a member of a famous boy band. Something about this individual's career is a hint." Davy Jones from the Monkees
-"The 2nd name your looking for is a cast member of a famous NBC TV show that debuted in the 90's." Friends
-"The sitcom in question was an "ensemble" cast. Meaning there was multiple stars...not just one...something about HIS career" David Scwimmer
-"A famous make up artist...something about his career is also a hint..." David LeeRoy Anderson worked on Cabin in the Woods.
-"This maze is also new, in that it has never been featured at HHN. Its been a tough one to design...some complicated effects The final moments of the movie are pretty out of control to say the least.
Thus my idea for Name Game will be the shared IP between Orlando & Hollywood, Cabin in the Woods.
  • Like 2