Creeper's Slightly Late Review of Halloween Horror Nights 21

Creeper06

HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS 21: YOUR LUCK HAS RUN OUT

My Review

Another Halloween has passed. The candy has been eaten, the blinky cups have been put away, the make-up has been removed, and Universal has taken down the amazing haunted houses that we’ve enjoyed all season long. The couple weeks of November are always so bitter-sweet. We have another great event to fondly look back on but now it’s almost another whole year until we get to do it again!

Anyway, I got to attend Halloween Horror Nights 21 on two nights this year and here’s how I thought it all stacked up. I know I’m a little late with the review but, ah well, I’ve been busy. As usual, I’ll go from my least favorites to my favorites because I like to end on a positive note ;)

Shows:

Death Drums- I never got around to seeing this but I give Universal props for doing something new.

Grade: N/A

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure- Does this show get worse every year or do I just get older? Either way, this is one of the weaker years for Bill and Ted. I did like the new set and, as always, it’s fun to see which characters they’ll trot out for laughs. It’s just that, for a lot of them, they forgot to write actual jokes. For example, Osama Bin Laden runs in every once in a while, screams, then runs around some more. At one point, he stops, looks at Bill & Ted and says “awkwaaaaaard”. First, that’s a “joke” that needs to die anyway. Second, it doesn’t even make sense. What’s awkward about Osama Bin Laden meeting Bill & Ted?!?! Nothing. They just couldn’t think of a joke so they threw that in there and hoped no one would notice. And here’s my biggest issue: the show just goes on way too long! It lasts for a good 45 minutes, if you count the preshow (with Mr. Chou and The King’s Speech, another bit that went nowhere). Factor in the 30 minutes it takes to wait for the show and another 15 to get out of the theatre, and you’ve wasted 90 minutes of precious HHN time! They’ve got to get this thing down to a tight 25 minutes and end it before it overstays its welcome. Still, it’s a tradition that I can’t miss and it’s a nice way to recap the previous year. I just know they can do better.

Grade: C- (Too long, not funny… Maybe I was too sober)

Scarezones:

Nightmaze- This is a concept that could have soared or fallen flat. In my experience, it was the latter. I loved the idea of it and I applaud the attempt to do something new and original. Unfortunately, the execution left a lot to be desired. Every time I went through, there seemed to be only one line going through one path. We did get a gate slammed in front of us one time, and I was excited, but then everyone just walked around it and that was that. I’ve heard that this was better if you could go through when it was empty. I’m sure that was true but I never saw it that way. And what was up with the Oreo people?!?! Don’t get me wrong, I love Oreos but they’re not exactly what keep me up at night.

Grade: D (Great idea that got lost in translation)

Canyon of Dark Souls- A nice little zone that made for a fun walk-thru and I liked that they erected a whole new structure to create the canyon. Moody lighting and ample fog and some dedicated cast enhanced it greatly. It was a bit simple, a bit short, and when it was busy, it got too clogged. But still, not bad.

Grade: C+ (Good enough but felt like some wasted potential)

Your Luck Has Run Out- This zone really got a bad rap on these boards and I quite enjoyed it. I love Sting Alley as a Scarezone location because of how isolated and claustrophobic it can be. And they filled it with as many props and SAs as possible to make it feel full. The “demon Lady Luck” masks also took a lot of flack and, I could sort of see where everyone was coming from, but I didn’t find them to be that bad. You only notice their cheesiness if you really take the time to study them. But those characters were meant to pop out for a scare and immediately go back in, so it worked just fine for me. One little gripe: I was taking a photo of one of the pretty Ladys up high, with no flash mind you, and she turned her back to me and I got yelled at by an Ops person. You’re telling me that we have a SA who is only there to stand and pose and we still can’t take a photo?!?! Man alive! The photo situation was out of hand this year!

Grade: B (Nice zone but Lady Luck deserved a more prominent location)

7- One of the most creative SZs of the year. It was a fascinating idea to personify each of the 7 deadly sins, though I still couldn’t figure them all out. Lol. Add in the changes throughout the night, the stages, the minions, and some of the only opportunities for photos, this was one of the highlights.

Grade: B+ (Creative and unique with an excellent cast)

Acid Assault- I was worried that this would just be another variation on Containment or Apocalypse so my expectations were very low going in. I was pleasantly surprised with how fully realized this area was with, not only the amazing new projections (which were truly awesome), but also the make-up and costumes, the props, the performances, and the fog and rain. That corner of the park came to life and felt completely transformed which is exactly what a successful Scarezone should do.

Grade: B+ (Universal really stepped up when they could have taken it easy)

Grown Evil- If Acid Assault transformed a part of the park, Grown Evil made you feel completely transported. In an excellent use of the Central Park portion of USF, Grown Evil feels eerie, moody, and otherworldly. With the perfect combination of music, fog, lighting, costumes, and performers, you feel completely surrounded in the atmosphere created. There have been some complaints about the more subtle performances in here and I have to disagree. I think it creates a more subdued and eerie tone for this zone that provides a nice contrast to the rest of the park. I feel like all the elements came together perfectly here and made for a zone that I’ll miss in the years to come.

Grade: A (Beautiful and creepy, Grown Evil feels like mysterious new land)

Haunted Houses:

The In Between- I am no fan of 3D houses. They usually rely too much on florescent paints and funhouse gags. So I openly admit that I came into this with a bias. After experiencing it, I can say that this was the best 3D house I have ever been in, although that is faint praise from me. I think it worked because the story framed it up well and gave us a reason for what we were seeing: we were in another dimension. The demons were well designed and plentiful so it was an improvement on the standard polka-dot pajama wearing dude blending with the walls that are par for the course in these types of houses. Still, it wasn’t perfect. There were quite a few rooms that felt like mostly empty space (i.e. big empty black room with lasers, big empty room with a couple floating heads) and I was disappointed that some of the effects didn’t survive until I got there (no floor). Still it was fun and a huge step up from past 3D houses.

Grade: B (Does The In Between give 3D houses, yikes, a good name?!)

The Thing- Having done the Thing house out here in Hollywood, I was curious as to how the Orlando version would stack up. It’s a close call, but I have to give the edge to Florida. The façade is epic and every room is full of detail. It’s true to the new film and uses a good variety of creature, humans, soldiers, puppets, and animatronics. I would have liked to have seen less of the “trunk” Thing creatures but that’s a small gripe. And it’s a shame that some of animatronics didn’t work for the entire run. But overall, it’s a very solid movie-based house.

Grade: B (Perfectly acceptable movie house but nothing special)

Saws n’ Steam: Into the Machine- the Jaws queue is always a tricky location. It seems to present a lot of challenges but we fans have always maintained that it can host a house just as impressive as the rest of the venues in the park. You want proof? I present Saws N’ Steam! Of all the SZs last year that could have been turned into a house, I didn’t expect this one, yet I can say I was pleasantly surprised. This is simply the best looking and most detailed themed house to be presented in Jaws! The flesh pressers, the gears, the waterfall, the fishtanks… there is striking scenery at every turn not to mention one of the goriest houses in HHN history. I wish there had been more variety in the look of the SAs (just a bunch of bald guys) but that’s alright. After Saw, Orfanage, and now this, the Jaws queue keeps getting better and better. Let’s keep the momentum going.

Grade: B (Amazing theming but could we switch up the costumes?)

Nightingales: Blood Prey- This was a truly original concept that I was curious, but not exactly excited, to see. Well, as is par for the course in soundstages, the theming and immersion were off the charts. You truly felt transported into the trenches of WWI. The sounds and lights above you completed the illusion. I was even more impressed with the various rooms to explore. The piles of wrapped bodies were an incredibly creepy and powerful visual. The tent with the crashed airplane outside was my favorite (and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned more on these boards). And, of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the Nightingales themselves. What a cool new creature to add to the HHN family. Evil, scary, distinctive, and brought to life by some truly talented actresses.

Brade: B+ (Unique, original, and one-of-a-kind – exactly what HHN excels at)

H.R. Bloodengutz Presents Holidays of Horror- Just as I am not a fan of 3D houses, I don’t really care for “comedy houses” either. I’m here to get scared, plain and simple. But now that I have a scaredy-cat girlfriend, these milder, funnier houses might just be a better option for her. All that aside, I was actually stoked for this one since I am a sucker for holiday-themed anything. It was such a great premise for a house that it was one of my most anticipated going in. I am happy to report that Holidays of Horror lived up to my expectations and even surpassed them. Every house was incredibly well-themed with great detail. I loved the school dance of Valentine’s Day, the leprechauns’ cave for St. Patrick’s Day, Santa’s workshop, and especially the Thanksgiving room. I didn’t even expect Arbor Day or President’s Day so those were nice surprises and good examples of the creative team thinking broader. Now for my little piece of constructive criticism with this house: I never got a single scare. Ever. The Scareactors were either hidden very badly or not at all. There seemed to be a lot of characters that just kind of wandered their rooms. Maybe this is on purpose since it is the “funny” house but still… the scares shouldn’t be sacrificed! Still, the fun of the house overcame any shortcomings and that was the word that I kept repeating after walking out: Fun.

Grade: A- (H.R. Bloodengutz is pure amusing holiday goodness)

Nevermore: The Madness of Poe- I was a little concerned that I wouldn’t remember enough Poe to truly appreciate this house (and lord knows I wouldn’t find the time to read up before Halloween). Well the good news is that either I have a better memory than I thought or A&D made Poe accessible to the masses. It’s most likely a combination of both. Regardless, it’s a beautifully themed house and I don’t know how they did it in a tent (especially the large foyer room with the balcony). The Telltale Heart, The Raven, and The Masque of the Red Death: each room was able to perfectly embody the story it was portraying and having Poe himself there to weave it all together was an inspired choice. I would also argue that this house gets finale room of the year. Bravo!

Grade: A (Classy, scary, and insane, Poe lives!)

The Forsaken- I’ve can’t recall a time that you walk through the outside door and are immediately immersed in the house, as you are in The Forsaken. The environments and theming here were flawless. You truly felt you were in the fort and the ship. There was a lot of criticism about the glowing eyes of the Forsaken and I have to disagree. I loved them. They added an eerie and distinctive quality to these particular ghosts that added to the entire feel and experience of the house. Other highlights for me were the bedroom scene, the massive courtyard, the screen of approaching specters, the slamming window in the storm, and of course the slanted finale room. I was also lucky to see the final bungee Forsaken and… wow. I am so glad I didn’t miss it. Overall, this is an amazing house!

Grade: A (Sets, scares, theme, and effects, The Forsaken has it all)

Winter’s Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery- Finally we come to Winter’s Night. This was my most anticipated house and somehow it still blew me away. It had everything that I value in a HHN house: a great theme, striking imagery, good scares, variety of monsters, excellent theming and detail, and innovative effects. To say that this house delivered on all fronts is an understatement. The cemetery was simply gorgeous and I wish I could have spent hours exploring it. The cold and snow perfectly set the mood. The blue lighting added a nice thematic element that unified everything you see. Then there were the variety of scares and effects: the weeping ghost, the torso zombie, the miniature cemetery, the open casket above, and more. I’m sure I’m even forgetting some because this house was so packed with detail and encounters that one trip could never be enough. Winter’s Night easily goes down with some of my favorite houses ever and will greatly be missed. Perfection.

Grade: A+ (Already a classic, Winter’s Night is one for the history books)

Overall- Halloween Horror Nights 21 was another great year for the event, though not exactly perfect. I can honestly say that there was not a “bad” house among them. Of course we all have our personal preferences when it comes to themes but there was something for everyone this year and every house delivered! I wish I could say the same about the Scarezones. Those were a little more underwhelming. They weren’t horrible but the only one that really blew me away was Grown Evil. The rest were ok but I felt like they had been cut back a bit. Finally, of course, there’s Lady Luck. She has gotten a lot of grief from the fans and, granted, she did not have the same level of depth or presence of some of the previous icons. Still, I would say that she was… fine. I don’t think she was a total failure. She was still the face of the event and served the purpose of being the hostess this year. They could have done more with her but she wasn’t bad. And I really enjoyed the photo spot they set up with her and the wheel at the front of the park. Please make this a permanent tradition every year! Overall, I really enjoyed Halloween Horror Nights 21. I think that the bar has been significantly raised in terms of houses. I cannot wait to see what’s in store for next year.

Overall Event Grade: B+

Thanks for reading! I welcome your comments and discussion and here’s to 2012! :D

Awesome review, Creeper!! B) Thank you leaving out the frequently used...."well, I woke up at 6AM and brushed my teeth, ate breakfast, and from this point I shall tell you what mundane things I did for the next 12 hours leading up the event" description. Your review is balanced and thoughtful. This year we were initially planning to do both events but settled on Hollywood. This retrospect for Orlando's event will keep my interest into one day attending. By the way, did attending two days satisfy your stay? Or would one day be enough to take in the full event?

Awesome review, Creeper!! B) Thank you leaving out the frequently used...."well, I woke up at 6AM and brushed my teeth, ate breakfast, and from this point I shall tell you what mundane things I did for the next 12 hours leading up the event" description. Your review is balanced and thoughtful. This year we were initially planning to do both events but settled on Hollywood. This retrospect for Orlando's event will keep my interest into one day attending. By the way, did attending two days satisfy your stay? Or would one day be enough to take in the full event?

"And at 8pm we decided to get some nachos. They were pretty good nachos. Then we had to hit the bathroom because of the nachos..." :lol: Those reviews crack me up.

I make it a point to hit the event on both coasts. I missed it in Orlando in 07 and I haven't forgiven myself. Hollywood is good but Orlando is the gold standard. Anyway, if I went all the way to FL for HHN, I personally demand 2 nights. You can see everything in 1 but, as you know, multiple trips through houses can result in different experiences so I recommend as much time there as possible.

Thanks for reading and thank you for the nice words :)

Winter’s Night: The Haunting of Hawthorn Cemetery- Finally we come to Winter’s Night. This was my most anticipated house and somehow it still blew me away. It had everything that I value in a HHN house: a great theme, striking imagery, good scares, variety of monsters, excellent theming and detail, and innovative effects. To say that this house delivered on all fronts is an understatement. The cemetery was simply gorgeous and I wish I could have spent hours exploring it. The cold and snow perfectly set the mood. The blue lighting added a nice thematic element that unified everything you see. Then there were the variety of scares and effects: the weeping ghost, the torso zombie, the miniature cemetery, the open casket above, and more. I’m sure I’m even forgetting some because this house was so packed with detail and encounters that one trip could never be enough. Winter’s Night easily goes down with some of my favorite houses ever and will greatly be missed. Perfection.

Grade: A+ (Already a classic, Winter’s Night is one for the history books)

this. spot on review of the greatest house since Screamhouse. we have some disagreements on a few things(as with everyone) but a very fun read. i agree the event wasnt perfect(which is VERY hard to pull off) but it was my favorite HHN yet (05-11).

this. spot on review of the greatest house since Screamhouse. we have some disagreements on a few things(as with everyone) but a very fun read. i agree the event wasnt perfect(which is VERY hard to pull off) but it was my favorite HHN yet (05-11).

Thanks! :) I agree that Screamhouse was a classic for the ages. Easiily one of the best houses in HHN history.

And there will always be disagreements on everything, based on personal preferences. Like comedy houses. I admit that I'm not a fan (except for this year). Some people live for them! It's all good. That's why there are 8 houses. Something for everyone!

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Thanks! :) I agree that Screamhouse was a classic for the ages. Easiily one of the best houses in HHN history.

And there will always be disagreements on everything, based on personal preferences. Like comedy houses. I admit that I'm not a fan (except for this year). Some people live for them! It's all good. That's why there are 8 houses. Something for everyone!

Thanks for reading and commenting.

comedy houses are a giant hit or miss for me. Bloodengutz was the best one ive seen and was great, the 2 PS's of 06 & 07 were excellent as well. Cleaver and Creatures weren't anything too spectacular, and i didnt like ZG much.

having 8 unique houses is defenitely great to accomodate pretty much everyone's tastes and preferences, whether it be comedy, literature, trippy or cemeteries.