Wheelchair question

Hello all!

We planned on taking my Mother to HHN tomorrow night (Thursday) and I had a quick question regarding wheelchair accessibility. My Mother recently broke her ankle and is wearing a brace. She can handle light walking on it but if she has to walk for long distances or for a long time, it becomes very painful. Our plan was just to rent a manual wheelchair from Universal tomorrow and she can use that to get around so that she does not hurt herself any further. I did some quick searching and concluded that the queues and houses are wheelchair accessible. I am not sure if certain houses will have different paths for wheelchairs or anything but either way it was comforting to know that she can still go with us.

My question however is concerning her walking through just the houses. Ideally, she would like to use the wheelchair to get around the park and while waiting in lines, etc. Is it possible that when she gets to the house, she could get out of the wheelchair and walk the haunted houses? She says that she would feel a lot more comfortable doing it this way. I am just not sure if it is possible. Maybe the attendants move the wheelchair to the house exit and have it waiting for us?

Does anybody know if they do this or has anybody had them actually do this? Thanks in advance for all your help.

This is exactly what I do each night at HHN - I can't stand for more than a few minutes, and walking more than a short distance is difficult. I push the chair until I'm in line, then sit in the chair and roll myself forward until the line gets to the house. Then I get out and ask the attendant if I can pick it up at the exit.

Some houses are much more accommodating than others about letting you leave the chair and pick it up at the exit. I've had great acceptance this year at Nevermore, In Between and HR Bloodengutz - VERY kind people there. It's not really a big deal at Forsaken, even if the center area is unmanned - at the Parade building the entrance and exit are virtually right by each other.

The soundstages can be a little trickier - they most certainly can accommodate you and so far they always have me. However, a lot of times the attendants don't really understand the situation, and may have to ask 7 other people if it's okay before they finally take your chair around. If you are friendly but insistent, they will help you.

The only major trouble I've had this year was at Saws N Steam. The gentleman outside was adamant that the chair had to be taken through, or left outside before you get in line. That is not accurate, but it is similar to what I ran into at the Orfanage last year.

As another member was able to confirm for me, all the houses do have an exterior means or path that they can take the chair around for you. Guest services also confirmed for me last year that this is totally acceptable and that the ops are able to assist you this way. A lot of the ops will try to encourage you to take the chair through, but again, being smiling, friendly, but insistent, they will take it to the exit for you.

Probably more detail than you wanted, but I hope that helps, and let me know if you have other questions about it.

A note about the Forsaken: there is one spot where people walking go down a different (slanted) path than wheelchairs. It's just a short little piece, but you'll see something different depending on whether you roll through or walk through.

I just want to echo what Troiandan stated. I bring my dad once a year and he cannot walk around the park all night so we rent a wheelchair. However, for obvious reasons, he doesn't want to take the wheelchair through the houses. We have never had an issue leaving the wheelchair at the entrance and picking it up at the exit. As Troiandan said, the soundstages and the Jaws queue are the trickiest, but just know that you have every right to request this motion. Just be persistant and you'll be able to do whatever is the most comfortable for you mother. Just say, "We do it all the time and it has never been an issue." This always worked for us. I hope you and your mother enjoy your time at HHN21!