Do you SCRE4M?!

How do you express your fear at HHN or any Halloween events? I didn't want to make a poll as there are many different and I'm sure, creative ways to express how you're scared but I did leave some scared types:

Are you the scream your freakin' head off and then run off into the fog type only to be scared again and continue the cycle?

Are you the "scream at everything to the point of annoyingness" type?

Scream only when apt?

Jump up and startle back in complete fear with a ghastly expression?

Jump up and startle back then laugh it off?

Do you verbally express to others how scared you are? (OMG, I'm so scared right now guys!) [Annoying by the way... the overdoing it people may be way too overexpressive but explaining how scared you are just ruins it for everyone else... "I'm so scared right now." "Yeah? Well I'm not because you keep fucking talking!"]

Do you let out a verbal reaction?

Do you flinch but pretend like you weren't scared?

Do you mindlessly walk through the mazes with a straight face no matter the circumstances?

Do you even enjoy yourself?!

Now I know there's a few like me on here... we don't get scared anymore. Or if we do, it's REALLY hard to. Of the last 5 years at HHN, I can probably only count on my two hands how many times I've been TRULY frightened or scared. But me? I'm the verbal reaction type - - even if the scare wasn't scary. I do it for the performers to keep their esteem high - - that kinda thing is important. It might not be the blood curdling run away screaming reaction they're looking for but it's better than giving them nothing and my verbal reaction, in my mind at least, is a bravo on the effort. Some scareactors don't try or maybe didn't do the best job so I just laugh. Well actually, I laugh throughout all of it but a good attempt at a scare will arise a verbal reaction from me. Now if I really DO get scared, my verbal reaction will be a bit more intense. Here's the meter...

Not actually scared at all: laughing/big smile the whole way through

Moderately scared/creeped out/appreciative of the effort: "OH SHIT!" with a laugh after.

Actually scared, managing to even make me jump: "OH FUCK!... shit!" with a laugh after.

I've reached the point where if I'm in the typical conga line style of a walk-through of a maze of any sort, or if I'm in one of Knott's mazes when it's just my partner and myself, I find that I don't get scared at all. Instead, I become like a living camera and just look around at every little detail and just enjoy the show.

However, if I'm isolated from anyone else and its just me going solo through a maze where I feel total immersion into its world or with one other person then I become the mostly silent, natural sort of afraid. I creep slowly through scenes, aware of what may be around the next corner or what may pop out of the next boo-hole, or appear where I would not expect it. But no matter what, I'm not a screamer.

You ever hear of a local maze that didn't seem to last very long that was in Ontario? The Haunted Vineyard? I'll admit that was my first maze ever, it was extremely well themed, had a backstory that wasn't abandoned as soon as you entered it, and kept you immersed in its world at all times. I was silent, alert the whole time, felt like my legs had become tremendously heavy and although I never screamed once, I just kind of spring backwards or cling to the wall temporarily. I make slight noises when I get scared, but nothing over a subtle grunt.

I recall one time fairly recently during the normal season for Universal that it was just my partner and myself in the House of Horrors... despite all the times we have gone through it, I found myself feeling those same symptoms all over again, although I just try to dart out of the way of where I know the scareactors are placed. So it's mixed for me, but I know that if lines were pulsed properly, I would definitely feel some level of fear.

Haunted Vineyard was VERY good. I went on a down night from Knott's and loved it so much that I wanted to work there the rest of the night! The owner was cool with that,but my stupid (now ex) girlfriend wanted to go home, and since she was the one with the car.. home I went!

To answer the question, the most I usually give is a 'Nice' if I'm startled or perhaps a 'Good Job'. The only place where I come actually close to screaming is Sinister Pointe- I'm so glad they have their own haunt again this year.

(The exception is if I'm going through an HHN maze on a break, and a friend recognizes and attacks me? Then I scream bloody murder, but its fake.)

Now I know there's a few like me on here... we don't get scared anymore. Or if we do, it's REALLY hard to. Of the last 5 years at HHN, I can probably only count on my two hands how many times I've been TRULY frightened or scared. But me? I'm the verbal reaction type - - even if the scare wasn't scary. I do it for the performers to keep their esteem high - - that kinda thing is important. It might not be the blood curdling run away screaming reaction they're looking for but it's better than giving them nothing and my verbal reaction, in my mind at least, is a bravo on the effort. Some scareactors don't try or maybe didn't do the best job so I just laugh. Well actually, I laugh throughout all of it but a good attempt at a scare will arise a verbal reaction from me. Now if I really DO get scared, my verbal reaction will be a bit more intense. Here's the meter...

Not actually scared at all: laughing/big smile the whole way through

Moderately scared/creeped out/appreciative of the effort: "OH SHIT!" with a laugh after.

Actually scared, managing to even make me jump: "OH FUCK!... shit!" with a laugh after.

Im the same way Ill get startled yell Oh Sh**T or F*** and laugh theres been times were Im just creeped out which is more the case but if its a movie I love (Friday the 13th for example) Im aww and nerding out although I should say the last Jason in the shed from Camp Blood 07 was the best scare I ever gotten I was laughing at something that happened inside and I was laughing realy hard an all of a sudden these HUGE pair of boots stoped right in front of me a looked up and the biggest unmasked Jason of the maze and a litteraly fell backwards, and the TCM in 08 (I didnt make the 07 maze) was the only maze so far that realy scared the shit out of me which why so far it has been my favorite it was disturbing, alot of high energy, good scares and my heart was pounding when we were done Im hoping to get the same with Hostel this year.

Actually, now that you bring up TCM, there was one scare in there that gave me a response that I never had before which reminds me now of why I loved it so much and think it's the best freakin' maze ever.

And you might know what it is... the dinner table scene.

That scare was so close and that chainsaw was so loud and the strobe effects and that first year, I was all by myself so...

Instead of the audible "oh shit" or what would've been an "oh fuck" in that case...

I literally couldn't even muster a sound out because I was so startled, creeped out and scared at the same time.

I imagine the noise I made probably sounded like a deaf kid trying to speak.

I actually kinda SHIELDED myself, putting my hands up across my head, trying to protect myself from the chainsaw.

I literally thought I was going to DIE.

That was the most scared I had ever been in a maze in my life. Freakin' perfect scare.

It happened again in 08 and it was still damn scary but that time, words actually came out of my mouth and I didn't shield myself.

Some other notable awesome scares were (where I shouted an "oh fuck!"):

TCM 07 & 08: Sheets area

TT 08: Bushman attack

NOES 07 & 08 & MBV: Pop out of boiler room and in the face (you don't really have a choice but to react on that one)

Halloween: Pop out of vent, pop out of random brick wall, headless guy kicking bucket

F13 10: Pop out of window/door, headless guy lunging forward after getting head cut off

HOTC: Axe man on that platform

NOES 10: Random Freddy in the hanging thread, boiler room scare of some sort

Saw 09 & 10: Operating room guy with buzz saw (it's always the randomly placed hidden doors that get me!), bathroom scene guy jumping out asking for help

Actually, now that you bring up TCM, there was one scare in there that gave me a response that I never had before which reminds me now of why I loved it so much and think it's the best freakin' maze ever.

And you might know what it is... the dinner table scene.

That scare was so close and that chainsaw was so loud and the strobe effects and that first year, I was all by myself so...

Instead of the audible "oh shit" or what would've been an "oh fuck" in that case...

I literally couldn't even muster a sound out because I was so startled, creeped out and scared at the same time.

I imagine the noise I made probably sounded like a deaf kid trying to speak.

I actually kinda SHIELDED myself, putting my hands up across my head, trying to protect myself from the chainsaw.

I literally thought I was going to DIE.

That was the most scared I had ever been in a maze in my life. Freakin' perfect scare.

It happened again in 08 and it was still damn scary but that time, words actually came out of my mouth and I didn't shield myself.

Saw 09 & 10: Operating room guy with buzz saw (it's always the randomly placed hidden doors that get me!), bathroom scene guy jumping out asking for help

yeah the dinner table got me but it was the Grandpa that pretended to be dead that got me cuz I asked the grandma if we could stay for dinner after she told us "Boy if only you knew what we were cooking" I turn around and the granpa jump out of the chair and also when leatherface hit the wall with that mallet.

oh and I think they replaced the buzsaw/opperating room was replaced with the rack trap from SAW3.

I'm a lot like you DTH in that I'm a nervous laugher, so when I'm startled, I laugh my ass off, usually accompanied by a "fuck" or a "oh shit". The only one that had a different reaction was Halloween in 2009, I was laughing right up until I went to push a body bag out of the way on the exit, then I got nauseous and almost threw up outside the exit, only one that's ever gotten to me like that.

Edited by ScreamAtMe

• 1 month later...