HHN 2011 Short Film Contest

OK so the link went up announcing the details for the HHN short film contest. Eli Roth will be judging this entries this year. Anothe rintersting note; the same tag line "What Fear Fears Most" is being used again.

A quick update here: We've narrowed it down to two ideas, which are essentially the same with only a backstory difference. First pre-production meeting is tomorrow. At the end of it we should have a full story, full storyboards, and initial casting done. It's piecing together fairly quick, so hopefully we're not overlooking anything. We'll see by tomorrow.

A quick update here: We've narrowed it down to two ideas, which are essentially the same with only a backstory difference. First pre-production meeting is tomorrow. At the end of it we should have a full story, full storyboards, and initial casting done. It's piecing together fairly quick, so hopefully we're not overlooking anything. We'll see by tomorrow.

Good luck hope you get in

I hope they aren't doing the same Icon and thats why but I think its because if you think about it what fear fears most could be used sf or any maze.

there not thank god, Murdy said this on twitter:

@horrornights oh yea why is the same slogan from 2010 used on the site ? will it be changed and i hope your feeling better murdy!!

@hhn09 That doesn't really have anything to do with the content. Wouldn't read to much into that

• 1 month later...

Freaking "Follow the Sun" - if I was from Chicago, I'd cast all three of my votes for this one. Plus a couple of votes on behalf of my dead mom.

Just remember, the fanboy favorite last year - "Trick" - didn't win, so let's promote the heck out of this one. It was clearly inspired by Orlando 2009, but I love the way they ran with it. Makes me long for "Leave it to Cleaver" again. I could TOTALLY see this playing on the Terror Tram. But maybe not the racy part with the mayonnaise...

Honorable mentions to "Strangeland" and "Hacked". "Hacked" is my solid #2 choice. Simple. Creepy. Effective. Makes you want to re-watch.

How-the-hell-did-this-make-the-list? Award to "Monster in my Swimming Pool" & "Eric". "Eric" didn't really need subtitles; it makes no sense in any language.

Great-film-with-terrible-ending Award (a.k.a. No Country for Old Men Award) to "Stalled". Seriously, great until the last two seconds.

Been-there-done-that Award to "Closet Monster", "Slash in the Box", and "The Cure". Direct lifts from Tales form the Darkside, Twilight Zone, and the last 5 minutes of "1408". But the latter two were very good...

Edited by zombieman

Ight, ight, ight, I know this is an amateur film contest but that doesn't mean I should be less harsh. The winners are picked out of 100s of submissions and getting a thousand bucks. It better be damn good. So here goes some critiques...

103 - Yeesh... I honestly feel you don't have much of a movie if the acting isn't at least decent. For some people, that's like 70% of the show. The environment was okay but the false scare was cheap and lame and had nothing to do with anything else. And then nothing even remotely scary happens until the last 35 seconds (I say that... very loosely). I do like that last line though as I didn't expect that. 4/10

Closet Monster - Eh. At least the acting wasn't horrible and I dug the look of it. Plus that monster was flippin rad. Just didn't feel very horror like or scary and I never felt a bit tense. However, I was entertained. I'm sensing a theme here... is Eli Roth just picking all the ones with twisted endings? haha 6/10

Eric - Uh... okay? 1/10

Follow the Sun - ... I have no idea what I just saw. Wasn't scary or very horror esque but hell, at least it entertained me. 6.5/10

Hacked - Pretty good cinematrography and the idea was decent. I don't know what the lack of dialogue was about though as that would've helped. However, the most horror out of all the ones I've seen so far. 7.5/10

Monster in my Swimming Pool - Haha aw, how cute. But that aside, good cinematography. When things were supposed to be intense, it felt a bit slow or not as punctual as it should've been. Nonetheless, pretty well made. 7/10

Slash in the Box - Easily the best one so far. Best cinematography, best direction (alot of swift movements, which believe me, are harder to accomplish than it may seem, whether it's a dolly movement or just having the editing software do a pan) and then ofcourse, I'm pretty sure I know why this is going to win... the blonde in shorts. What nerd wouldn't vote for that? And some gore. Easy win. 9/10

Stalled - Just dumb. 3/10

Strangeland - I dug this one and it looks like they had some good production value to grab hold of. Just wish it could've been developed a bit more but at least it left me wanting more instead of wishing it would end sooner. 7/10

The Cure - Uh... how's this horror? I won't even rate it

Edited by DTH316

"Slash in the Box" - Good! Would've voted this one, but it's a pretty typical concept.... 7/10

"Follow the Sun" - WHAT. THE. F***. This one just left me disturbed. And not really in a good way. Cartoons getting tortured/raped just isn't my thing. I can see why Eli picked this one, though. :P Good animation and scary. Reminds me a lot of "The Nightmare" last year. A lot of random gore in a cartoon-ish fashion. 7.5/10

"Stalled" - Even though it pretty much was played out to recreate the last scene in "Hostel" (or so we are led to think), I thought it was pretty good. The ending sucked but I voted for it anyways. Best camera views IMO. 8/10

"Closet Monster" - 5/10

Begin rant about my choices. :lol:

I have a hard time deciding between Hacked and Slasher in the Box. Hacked was just straight out creepy and Slasher actually would make you jump while watching it (plus the blonde was hot.)

Eric was a WTF moment since I did not get what the movie was about.

Follow the Sun was another one I really disliked.

The rest really didn't leave an impression good or bad for me.

I'm rooting for Slasher in the Box, officially.

Hacked was cool but there wasn't much dialogue.

Plus Slasher had the blonde and some extra gore.

Those sound like some artificial reasons but in the case of horror, those 2 things are a lot of what horror is about and for a horror film contest, it nailed what it was supposed to do in 3 minutes.

Creepy set up, scary jumps, titillating us with a female, gore and the final scare.

I can honestly say the other films didn't do that.

Although Hacked was almost there, Follow the Sun just didn't scream HORROR to me and the other ones were just a bit too silly at the end of the day.

***WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS BELOW****

103: I liked the twist, but it was too simple. It had a PG-13 slasher type feel to it (like the Stepfather, etc.) 2/5.

Closet Monster: I didn't like this one very much, the monster didn't look too scary (don't wanna give away too many spoilers lol) and it wasn't very exciting. 2/5

Eric: One of my favorites. The monster looked very creepy (its la llorona i believe). It was intense and with the different language and subtitles, it felt very new and refreshing (although we already know the story to the monster) 4/5

Follow The Sun: This one was one of my favorites as well. It was very creative and reminded me of something out of place (like the little boy and the out-of-place music he was dancing to from Insidious). You don't see this very often so it was very fresh and creepy. 5/5

Hacked: This one was great, but it wasn't very original. I don't wanna spoil too much, but once you watch it, it seems very similar to a movie called *COUGH* Mirrors *COUGH*. It was still great though, things you expected to happen did not happen. And things you did not expect to happen, happened. lol, so at least it keeps you guessing. 4/5.

Monster in my Swimming Pool: Ehh, the title suggested it wasn't great and to me... it wasn't great. The monster didn't look scary and I didn't feel creeped out. Not much to offer, reminded me of the Closet Monster, only this time in a pool lol. 2/5

Slash in the Box: This one was alright, reminded me of hmm.... Poltergeist. I liked the effects (except for the blood), Not the best, but not the worst. 3/5

Stalled: HA! Can anyone say... Rob Zombie's Halloween? Seemed unoriginal to me but definitely better than the ones that seemed like a PG-13 slasher film. 3/5

Strangeland: WOW. Is this Apollo 17? Lol, I LOVED this one especially since Apollo 18 just came out. Kind of seems like it could have been a second commercial or trailer lol. This one is great! Nice atmosphere and everything. I think this one deserves more than a 5/5. Definitely my favorite one (but I can see why you guys may not like it). 10/5 lol, jk 5/5

The Cure: Great short film. Seemed like a mix between The Mist and a zombie film. I THINK they were going for an emotional appeal (since it involves a father and daughter) but since I'm not even 18 yet it didnt get to me lol. Was a great film though, wish the makeup looked better though. 4/5

• 2 weeks later...

... you're fucking kidding me, right?

They must've had a large group of friends & family voting for that thing like crazy or something because there are 3 or 4 other shorts that easily should've won over that.

This contest is a joke sometimes.

Edited by DTH316