Madmonk's Double Weekend of FEAR

madmonk

WARNING: SPOLERS AHEAD (If you haven't been yet, don't read this review; you have been warned)

After attending the event twice, I feel it is the right time to post my opinions of this year.

I attended opening night, as well as last Friday, Oct 1st, and I must say there were some great improvements from opening weekend. It was also nice meeting Raize (although briefly) in line for Legendary Truth. Pretty sure I saw JWFearman as well going into Havoc during the AP passholder event but didnt get a chance to say hi.

Anyways, here are my thoughts about the attractions from this year:

Houses:

Hallow'd Past:

This was our first house of the night and boy was it a doosie! A true blast from the past and since it was my second time through, I got to see many many things that I missed the first time (including the Kurt Russel dummy from the Thing laying on a bed in the beginning of the house). The chainsaw that pops out to the left in one of the first hallways got me really good and set the tone of the night in proper fashion. Wasn't crazy about 2 dead exposure rooms (even though I loved the original house). I would have liked to see some more of the Body Collectors and the Spine scene was missing when I went through on Friday (cast change perhaps).

Also, mucho props to the Mad Hatters and the Body Collectors "assistant" in the wall for giving my fiance a nightmare or two. It was kind of bright in the last room but that didn't stop the actors from expertly distracting and scaring the bejeezus out of us as we headed for the exit (Jack, you are a sneaky bastard).

Overall, an incredibly detailed house, lots of scares, and one that any fan of the event will want to venture through at least a few times.

Score: 9 out of 10

Catacombs:

Let me start out by saying that this was my LEAST anticipated house when the full website was revealed. The artwork, storyline, everything was just meh to me.

That being said, after experiencing it, this is my vote for house of the year.

I went in not knowing what to expect and came out grinning ear to ear. The design is amazing, the doctors are amazing, the costumes are creepily awesome, and the plague victims gave my fiance one of the best scares of the night (specifically, the guy in the well or whatever that thing is to the left of the path). Even in the daytime, the plague doctors still managed to stalk creepily and come out of nowhere for the scare. I went through this house many times and was never disappointed.

Easily one of the creepiest, and most consistent houses of the entire event this year. Go see it!

Score: 10 out of 10

Havoc: Dogs of War

After opening weekend, this house was close to the bottom of my list. Not sure if I went through during a cast change or what the problem was, but it was one of the least memorable houses for me that night.

After walking through last Friday, I am changing my tune.

First off, I'm not really crazy about the design of this house. Maybe it's because it was so similar to the Thing (set-wise) or the Spawning (maze-wise). Design aside though, the actors absolutely will OWN you in this house. We received some of the most vicious and intense scares of the night in this house and it seemed like everywhere we turned, there was a crazy shaved-head maniac coming at us. It was literally exhausting to walk-though because the tension was so high.

Once again, my hats are off to the actors in this house; you guys (and girls) go and go hard, setting the tone of the house perfectly.

Score: 7 out of 10

Hades:

This was my most anticipated house and it lived up to those expectations, for the most part.

The first time I saw it (opening weekend) I missed everything. Didn't see Caron, missed the Cyclops, saw the back of one of the Medusa's, saw the back of the Minotaur, etc. I loved the design and the concept though so I wanted to give it another walkthough before posting a review.

Last Friday, my timing was much better. I saw Caron (although I wish it were less foggy so I could actually see what he looks like instead of just seeing the light), saw Cyclops, got blasted by the first Medusa (felt like a super soaker on my shirt haha), had a staring contest with a witch, and saw the awesomeness that is the Minotaur costume. The Minotaur scene with the mirrors was expertly designed, although we didn't get any scares in there.

Overall, the house was great, but I feel my expectations were too high. I love Greek mythology, but it is definitely a hard theme to pull off in a house, although I feel HHN did a stellar job. With the lighting, it's hard to see and appreciate some of the characters, and I honestly spent more time admiring the details in the set (when I could actually see them) and less time getting scared by the actors.

Score: 8 out of 10

Legendary Truth

This was my favorite house of the night opening weekend but has fallen to about 3rd place after walking through a few times last Friday.

This house is definitely one of the most detailed at the event, but it is seriously lacking in the scares department. To make up for the scares though, this house has some incredible tricks up it's sleeve. The floor track is an awesome effect as is the wallpaper one, but I found myself being impressed with the cool effects instead of being scared by the actors. Also, I really wish they could have gotten the long hallway effect to work because in theory, it sounded pretty incredible.

Overall, a beautifully detailed house with some incredible, innovative tricks. Go see it for it's beauty but don't expect many scares in here.

Psychoscarepy

This was another cool house atmosphere-wise but just lacking in the scare department. The facade is amazing (as usual) and there are some great details in this house. I personally thought the reflection window effect (in both houses it was used in) was cheesy and not the least bit scary so I hope they don't bring those back. There were a team of male actors in one hallway that stood in plain site but somehow still managed to give us a good startle. Also, in the long hallway, the actors were not making the hands move but that didnt take away any of the creepiness factor of that section.

I did happen to find the red button this time around and after pushing it about 5 times, I finally got the effect (I think; it was an air-jet behind you correct?)

Overall, this house is a must-see for any fan of Shadybrook but I feel there were some missed opportunities in the scare department.

Zombiegeddon

Although it's not trying to be, this is a fun walkthrough. Everything from the tongue-in-cheek humor of the queue video, to the zombie baby make this a humorous house. Upon multiple walkthroughs, I got a few decent startle scares but still have yet to receive the memorable scares that I have experienced in some of the other houses. I do love how this house pours out into the similar themed scarezone (which is something I wish the other houses would do as well).

Gonna give this one another walkthrough or two before the event is done because I feel like this could be a truly great house. The actors (especially the ZAP members) are awesome, just waiting for that elusive scare to make this house complete.

Score: 6 out of 10

Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes

This has consistently been the most disappointing house for me. After multiple run-throughs, I have yet to even be startled. I don't know if it's just bad timing or what but this house just isn't doing anything for me. I love the concept and it's great to finally see Cindy have her own house (although I wish she were a little more present throughout) but there just isn't anything memorable about this house for me.

I apologize to all of the actors (most of which do an incredible job and have to rely on their own voice instead of a recorded e-promt) but I just haven't "felt" this house yet. Perhaps it is too dark to really appreciate all of the details in this house but to me, the design is very forgettable.

Again, sorry if this offends anyone working this house, I'll give it a few more shots throughout the month and see if I get lucky.

Score 5 out of 10

I'll post my thoughts on the streets in a bit...

Yeah it was definitely a surprise. Make sure you go through when it's dark outside, especially the first time through. The last few scenes get pretty bright when the sun is shining on them (but that doesnt stop the actors from gettin ya)

Have fun!

Well, I Usually start at the parade building & Work my way around in the Catacombs direction.. So if I Have time to hit one house twice, should I go back through Catacombs in the dark?

IMHO, yes. The casts in here are absolutely on top of their game, and I've enjoyed going through more than once a night.