HHNH 2000: The Undertaker: No Mercy

If memory serves me correct, There was alot of chainlinked fence and mostly Kane lookalikes slamming the fence with chairs. I also remember that the night I went, they had a parade with the undertaker and the Brood. I remember being close that I reached out and touched his arm. It was pretty cool, since I was such a huge wrestling fan back then.

I remember reading a press release about it when it came out. It was supposed to tell the Undertaker's life story, so it started in the mortuary where he was born and then there was an explosion that killed his parents and it went on from there. Sounded pretty stupid to me.

I dont know for sure though. I was such a Knott's Fanboy back then that I never even considered going to Universal. Look at me now.

• 1 month later...

As stated earlier, it was in a soundstage in the lower lot. Absolutely sucked, though. It was nothing but a bunch of chain link fence and scareactors in red spandex banging on trash cans. There were a couple of them on "motorcycles" - just starionary. They turned the headlight on and revved the engine. I saw "motorcycle" because they were not actual gas engines - couldn't be, since it was indoors. There was also lots of fake chains hanging from the ceiling.

In all, one of the worst houses in HHN history, and I've been to every HHN Hollywood since 1992.

In 2000, I was part of a RIP group with a tour guide. She hyped every single house we went into....until we got to the Undertaker house. The guide - an employee of Universal - apologized to us in advance for the Undertaker house. That was a hoot. Apparently, it was a hoot to other patrons as well, as everyone I saw exiting the house was laughing at how terrible it was.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You got it. Just curious Zombieman, how did you enter the SS maze? Was there a facade? Where did the queue start? Backdraft? Where was the exit?

I'm really not familiar with the SS layouts in Hollywood. It's funny, I live in CA, but know the layout of Orlando like the back of my hand...

I recall that for the 1997-2000 run, there were always 2 SS used in the lower lot. Imagine you are approaching the Saw maze, just about to go inside. Turn left and you will see the sound stages beyond the chain link fence. There was some sort of access they had to them. They didn't have facades like the 2009 Rob Zombie house. Instead, they were more like what Orlando does with their SS facades, but on a much smaller scale. The Undertaker house literally went straight into the maze - no facade.

It was God-awful, but for those of you imagining a "wrestling house", it wasn't THAT bad. I mean. it's not like there were turnbuckles and wrestling ropes. Back in 2000, the WWF (as it was known back then) was running a storyline where two characters - The Undertaker and his evil brother Kane - were going to battle at some big event. Over the course of a couple of years, they had developed the storyline to the point where it was revealed that the mask-wearing Kane was badly burned in his youth, at the hands of his brother. They wanted to take it to the next level here, trying to imply that we were entering Kane's domain. Honestly, it made no sense, since The Undertaker character was the obvious choice for the maze, having a broader fan appeal, and, well being an undertaker... Plus, the event shirt for 2000 had three images on it - a generic vampire (from Buffy), Rob Zombie, and The Undertaker. These were advertised as their three "icons", if you will. Yet, for some reason, they chose to populate the maze with Kane; The Undertaker was really nowhere in sight. I imagine because Kane wears a mask and The Undertaker doesn't (easier to make a bunch of kids look like Kane). In any event, it was an epically dreadful maze. The sight of men in Spandex coming at you in the dark was indeed scary - but not in the way Universal intended.

Aside from the 2 SS houses, there was always a house right near the entrance, and one or two tents sprung up in the tram loading area - very much like they have in Orlando. In 1997, they had a house in the new parking structure, which I thought was genius. It was covered so as to provide a real roof and pure darkness, and the concrete absorbed sound really well. The maze there was an Area 51 maze. They gave you a sticker with a radiation symbol as a badge to wear. I still have mine. Alien mazes were really big back then, and this was an alternative to Knotts' Toxichem maze.

Edited by zombieman

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...