PeoriaBJJ's Non-Hater review of HHN27.

PeoriaBJJ

My wife and I ditched the kids and headed to O-town for HHN on 9/22,9/23 and 9/24. Her is my Non-Hater Review. Its non-hater bc I love the event, I love to have fun and I’m not gonna do too much pissing and moaning about things. I’ve said it on here lots of times…. If you’re lucky enough to go to HHN, you’re lucky enough! So here goes…

Houses:

The Shinning – 4/5

Great house. Lots of great moments from the movie captured really nicely. They also did a good job of giving a maze that “big empty” feeling that the movie had. Pretty impressive. Loved the Jack masked and the girls playing Wendy were fantastic too. Very fun house that I went through 4 times in 3 nights!

Saw: The Games of Jigsaw – 3/5

I will prefaced this with I’m not a huge fan of the SAW franchise. First one was really good, 2 was ok, the rest are steaming piles of garbage. With that said this house was still pretty fun. Lots to look at and LOTS of buttons to push! If you get a chance hit the button above the 55 gallon drum and watch the people behind you jump! Also lots of pig masks, which I think are pretty cool!

American Horror Story: Volume 2 – 4/5

Once again a really well done house. Lots of good scares and they did a great job of picking really cool scenes from those seasons. I'm a fan of the show so I knew what I was seeing in every room. Well done!

Horrors of Blumhouse – 4/5

Fun house! I haven’t seen Sinister, only seen the first Insidious and I hate the Purge so I went in with low expectation and was pleasantly surprised. Great scares, cool costumes, high energy. Even the Purge guys great. Everytime I went through it the tall guy in there would run up to me to let me know he was taller than I was. I’m 6’5” so it doesn’t happen too often. My wife yells “Shit he’s bigger than you!” I know honey, he also threatened me with a knife, keep moving! LOL Cool house all around!

Ash vs Evil Dead – 3/5

I hate to give it 3 stars bc I love the franchise, I love Ash (I often get told I look just like him), I love the show…. But it just didn’t have the energy I was expecting, maybe I went in with too high expectations. They guys playing Bruce did a great job though! The one in front of the cabin was hilarious! I also like the kegs at the end, I kept yelling “Jacksonville!!!!” Still a great house!

Dead Water – 5/5

Ok the façade to this maze will go down in HHN history as the GOAT façade. Fucking BEAUTIFUL. There is no other way to describe it. Visually this house was a 7/5. Saw a VooDoo queen, the boat Captain and even Samuel Clemens! This house took me back to the Forsaken for many reasons. Man what a good house. This is what makes HHN the best! An original house that is just insanely good.

The Fallen – 4/5

First off…. Great costumes, great scenery, great scares, great everything. This house would the definition of HHN. The only reason I gave it a 4 and not a 5 is bc I had no idea what the hell was going on. I like monsters and fire and brimstone and all that shit but I couldn’t follow any kind of story. Maybe its not really THAT important but they billed this as good vs evil, light vs dark, etc…. oh well. It was a SICK house. I love every minute I was in there!

Scarecrow the Reaping – 5/5

This house had it all. The scarecrows were so boss. I live in central IL. Im in a kinda populated area but there are old farm houses like this all over the place within a few miles of me. SO I was really looking forward to this house. The house looked great! The last room was a great touch too… SPOILER ALERT! It’s a shitty room LOL

Hive – 5/5

LOVED this house. Totally creepy. The Nosferatu-esque vamps were right on. Very feral and scary as hell. The house was visually gorgeous too. From the boarded up windows to the piles of dirt in the corners (I imagine from them digging into the earth for their caskets?). Also the second house to display a couple dead kids LOL. I actually enjoyed this house the most out of all the houses. Now my only complaint is that the power went out on the 22nd as we were about to go into this house so I missed it my first night. Whoever tripped on the extension cord you owe me 3 houses!!!!

Scare Zones:

The Purge – 3/5

I hate these movies, but it does make a fun scare zone. I got some cool pics.

Trick ‘r Treat – 5/5

LOVED LOVED LOVED. This is what Halloween is all about. orange lights, pumpkins and monsters! I walked through this so many times. Absolutely gorgeous scare zone and the scaractors seemed to be having a blast too. If they made CP look like that every year you wouldn’t hear me complain…

Festival of the Deadliest – 4/5

I have no idea what the hell was going on in this SZ but with monsters and pole dancers…. Well its hard to complain. Fun scare zone with some REALLY good scaractors. One dude in particular (black dude about 5’5”) was on point! We sat and watched him scare the shit out of so many people. Well done sir!

Invasion! – 5/5

Perfect throw back to the old day of 50’s Sci-Fi/Horror! What a great set! It always seems a little tight in that area but it worked for this. Aliens seemed to be having a good time too.

Altars or Horror – 2/5

Basically a photo op. I get it. Cool to see character running around and I really like the huge signs they used!

Shows:

Bill and Ted – 5/5

Man it really sucks that this is it for them. HHN won’t be the same wthout this show. I was legit bummed leaving the show knowing I wasn’t going to see another one. Was a good send off and I hope they replace it with something half as fun. Oh and my god those female dancers. My god….

Academy of Villains – no score. Didn’t watch it once.

So that’s that! Another year in the books (our 10th) and it was a VERY strong year. Best year house-wise since HHN 21. Maybe even better! Merch was cool and I got to eat at my favorite restaurant on the planet Monsters Café. Thanks to all the actors and behind the scenes folks for putting on another great event! See you next year!!!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

I really wish we somehow coordinated our visits.. you and I are one the same page a lot.  I wanted to read your review to see your reaction to TrT.. I knew the big "SQUEEEEEE" was coming.  :) 

You and I are definitely co-chairs of Team Pumpkins!!!!! I loved it. Had to literally drag my wife out of there the last night... catching that 7am flight home the next day was BRUTAL.

23 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Dead Water – 5/5

Ok the façade to this maze will go down in HHN history as the GOAT façade. Fucking BEAUTIFUL. There is no other way to describe it. Visually this house was a 7/5. Saw a VooDoo queen, the boat Captain and even Samuel Clemens! This house took me back to the Forsaken for many reasons. Man what a good house. This is what makes HHN the best! An original house that is just insanely good.

The Forsaken!!!!#%*%#)$#)(#%T^JWGPDSIU!!!!