HorrorNightsFan13's Review of Halloween Horror Nights 2016

HorrorNightsFan13

Opening Scaramony-
The opener was really cool, just my usual tradition to get my adrenaline pumping. Love being right at the front when the fire goes off. 

The Purge: Gauntlet of Fear-
This thing is seriously so cool! And I have a feeling as the event goes on it'll only get better. I went through three times and two of the three times an Anarchy guy at the start wanted to steal my shoes... well alright then. 

The Walking Dead Attraction-
This was my first time ever doing the attraction and I can honestly agree with everyone else that it's just eh. The effects are cool, it's fun looking for Easter eggs, I love the queue, but that's really all it has going for it. 

The Exorcist-
I get scared each year, just usual jump scares, but this maze is the first maze to terrify me. But I absolutely loved it. The subliminal imagery carried over from the movie to the maze, all of the effects looked really good and it exceeded my expectations. I usually hate the black hallways but these ones worked for the mazes advantage. Whenever a black hallway came up I was scared to go in and rightly so. Nearly every scare whether it came from Regan or Pazuzu or Karras got me and they got me good, then another one would get me they were everywhere! The scenes being recreate from the movie looked absolutely awesome and I loved them all. My favorite memory from this maze came from my second run through of it, Father Karras had just splashed me with holy water and blessed me, then I told my sister and we just said "bless up!" Then Pazuzu jumped out of nowhere scared the crap out of me and hit the dab. It was funny and scary at the same time. 
Grade- A+

Halloween: Hell Comes to Haddonfield-
Last years Halloween maze was my favorite maze of all time, and while this maze was good it didn't recreate the atmosphere of last years for me. It was still a really good maze but I didn't enjoy it as much as last years. I loved seeing all of the kills from the movie. All of the sets were really good. The ending was freaky but really cool. I loved the pumpkins and the giant pumpkin head was a very unique scene. Loved the smell though, took me back to El Cucuy. 
Grade- A

Purge or Die-
I couldn't see crap in the tunnel! But it was nice to have the tunnel themed during the walk. The continuation of it on the backlot was really cool but I don't think it was as good as last year. Last year had a lot of fog and I couldn't see the actors at all now they're easily seen. I did love the chainsaws at the end of it though. 

Krampus-
My group and I were debating about waiting in line or using our front of the line passes and when we were debating Chris Williams walked into the front of the line line, but we didn't follow. Until 5 minutes later when we finally decided to use front of the line. I got my post card and went in. Off the bat this facade is amazing. This maze was a lot scarier than I expected. The elves were creepy, Krampus was literally everywhere even places I wouldn't have expected him. The sets are beautiful and the smells are absolutely amazing. I love the gingerbread men scene because that's just something those mischievous gingerbread men would do if they took reign over the kitchen. The attic scene was really well done however when I went through it was a cast change and there was nobody in the jack in the box. The rapture tunnel effect was used really well and while I wish there would've been a little more for the final scare it was still really good. 
Grade- A+

Freddy Vs. Jason-
I loved this maze. From the facade to everything inside it was just everything and more than what I hoped. The sets were amazing. I loved seeing Freddy terrorize Jason. The snake looked really good and actually scared me. I loved the rapture tunnel effects in this maze to help serve as transitions. The camp crystal lake scenes were really cool and creepy, I like Freddy more than Jason so I was partially biased to favor the Freddy portion. But once they got fighting that was when the maze excelled. I loved seeing the Alien Vs. Predator style versus scenes as well as the disappearing wall scene where they would pop out right when the wall disappeared. Unfortunately Jason was the victor of this run through. 
Grade- A+

American Horror Story-
The facade is really underwhelming. I'm not a huge fan of the show so I'm just kind of meh about the maze. I watched Murder House but couldn't force myself to watch Freak Show or Hotel. The maze was good, the sets looked really good and there were some scares. Obviously the Freak Show section is gonna be one of the coolest sections even though it is unfortunately very short. But fans of the show will love it, I'm just not a fan of the show. 
Grade- B 

What happened after American Horror Story was a great experience for a HHN geek like myself. I walk out and right in front of me are John Murdy and Chris Williams. I've met John 4 times now but never have I met Chris so it was really something else to meet them both. I got a picture with them both, and had them both sign the map for this year. 

Terror Tram-
Hearing great things about it I was excited, but I was let down. The solution to the traffic jams was adding another path to the right of the clown mouth entrance. I'm sure if I got the clown mouth entrance I would've loved it but I was unfortunately shoved into the right (wrong!) path and it simply felt like the usual terror tram. The characters were cool, the story was cool, but I wasn't able to get anything great out of it except finally fulfilling my quest to find Log Bunny! I'll probably watch a video to see what the other scenes look like but my experience sucked. 
Grade- C

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Blood Brothers-
I was expecting an original sequel not original scenes with a lot of scenes from the first movie tied in. With that aside this maze was still really good. The smells were strong as was the cast. They were on fire and I was able to get a lot of good scares from the maze. It definitely felt a lot longer than I expected it would be. While I only saw half of Saw is The Law (I chickened out before the dinner table scene I was a wuss my first year) I can say that I did like this maze more than that one. But this was by no means the best maze of the year. 
Grade- A

Jabbawockeez-
I enjoyed last years show and I enjoyed this years show. While I enjoy it I don't necessarily like it at Halloween Horror Nights. It doesn't really belong but it eats up crowds so I'm okay with it. I got some good laughs from it and the dancing was good. That's about all I have to say about that. 

My group and I were able to repeat The Exorcist, Halloween, and The Walking Dead, but nothing else. Although we could've repeated Krampus as we had an hour and twenty minutes before closing and the line was only half an hour, then twenty minutes by the time we made it up the star way, then ten minutes by the time I bought my shirt and lanyard. Nobody listens to the HHN expert in my family (me). 

All in all I can definitely say that this was the best year I've ever seen in my 5 years of attendance. I don't have a clue how they'll top it which kind of scares me but we'll see how next year goes. This year gave me three new favorite mazes and memories that I will never forget. 

House Ranking:
The Exorcist
Krampus
Freddy Vs. Jason
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Blood Brothers
Halloween: Hell Comes to Haddonfield
American Horror Story
The Walking Dead Attraction

This matches perfectly with my list of anticipation which is surprising for me. I loved this year and it is my new favorite year.  

• Like 2