Ringwraith's Opening Night Review

Ringwraith

I would first like to say that I loved the days of the icon and how some of the houses and scarezones corresponded to what the icon was about. Chance is a familiar face, but her character doesn't seem to be as fleshed out as many of the other icons of the past. I'd like to see a stronger female character in the future. Maybe one who's supernatural.

After that mini rant, I'd like to say that I'm more impressed with this year than I've been with any of the events over the past 6 or so years. The detail is REALLY solid in the houses this year and the use of space is just brilliant. I'm not a fan of IP's but I'll admit that Universal REALLY puts you in the films that they're representing this year.

Be cautious over these waters; ye many spoilers ahead.

Houses:

Tomb of the Ancients - 9/10 - I think I missed a lot of the scares in this zone; however the detail and the claustrophobic feel was very impressive. Will definitely be doing this one again. I love the Indiana Jones feel to this house.

Halloween - 9/10 - Straight out of the film! Love the opening with the closet(reminiscent of Psycho) and then straight through to where he's shot (6 times!) Loved roaming the streets and then back into the houses and hospital just like the film.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 10/10 - First of all, in my opinion, the very original Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, although considered a classic and first of it's kind at the time, is total shit. The acting is horrific. The story is non-existent and the scares are laughable. This is the first time I've ever thought the house was WAY better than the actual film. I'm so glad they included the chicken room! The scareactors in that house ARE Leatherface. FANTASTIC job of casting. WOW! I'm not sure if it was just my trip through or if it's a scent HHN is using, but the body odor in the house is disgusting. However, it adds a ton of quality to the house in the weirdest way.

Curse of Lightning Gulch - 10/10 - I've heard this house has been done before in very similar ways, but it's new to me and I AM IMPRESSED. At employee preview, I already gave it a 9/10 without the scares, but this time around, they had actors coming out of the woodwork(no pun intended)! The drop from the ceiling was my favorite and the production design is still just as on point as it was that first night. Not as much rain this time around, but still feels like you're outside. Pure magic!

Exorcist - 6/10 - Although I LOVE the trips back to Africa at the beginning and hell at the end, I'm pretty disappointed in this house so far. There was only one Regan that looked truly possessed instead of just looking like they were throwing an angry temper tantrum on the bed. Very disappointed that they still haven't done something with the crabwalk on the stairs; which is an iconic moment from a version of the film. The "power of Christ compels you" room was much better this time around but it'd be nice if they somehow got that body to look like it's floating instead of just suspended.

AHS - 9/10 - I have only seen the pilot of this show(I know I know I'm working on it), but so far I've heard nothing but good things, when it relates to the accuracy of the house to the show. I walked through with an AHS fanatic and they came out very pleased. The detail is great and the scares were creepy. It makes me want to watch more!

Krampus - 10/10 - If I could give this an 11/10, I would. The way they used the limited space they had, was nothing short of a miracle. I'm extremely shocked that this house fit into one tiny-ass Shrek Theater. In fact, they should just leave this up as a walk-through attraction. MIND blown. Such a funny house and had all of the charming things that made the film a fun B-movie. Just enjoy.

(Walking Dead and Chance's house still to come)

Scarezones

Dead Man's Wharf - 10/10 - This scarezone has so much theming, great costuming, awesome masks, and scares in such a small space. Very well done. This will be my default favorite for the run.

Vamp 1955 - 3/10 - Unless there's something I'm missing with a cast change, turned show, this zone is extremely boring. Scarezones used to be some of my favorite things to do and hang out in and this one seems like a total throwaway. I'm also not a fan of vampires, that doesn't help.

Banshees - 1/10 - It's only getting a 1 because of the added rock boo-holes. Same old same old.

You won't stand a chance - 2/10 - I stood a chance many times through that zone. Roaming psycho ward patients...whoopeee....Let's get original!

Survive or Die - 6/10 - The cast changes are the most fun part about this zone and I'm a sucker for the crumbling structures. It's fun, but not overwhelmingly life-changing.

VERY impressed with the overall event this year, but although I love the idea of an icon, I don't think it's being utilized properly for this particular HHN.

they have the   crabwalk on the stairs in the exorsist house. they didnt do it on the stair well but its juts a hole in the wall. i expected a stair well like the one in texas chainsaw 

i remember seeing a backwards girl prop 

Edited by clash

5 minutes ago, clash said:

they have the   crabwalk on the stairs in the exorsist house. they didnt do it on the stair well but its juts a hole in the wall. i expected a stair well like the one in texas chainsaw 

i remember seeing a backwards girl prop 

Yeah but it's not doing anything. No vomit, no movement, no lighting (at least when I went through). It'd be nice if they had the full staircase and she came down at you with a motor moving diagonally down the stairs, maybe with arms on pistons or something. I think it'd be worth the money for HHN for that type of scare

12 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

Yeah but it's not doing anything. No vomit, no movement, no lighting (at least when I went through). It'd be nice if they had the full staircase and she came down at you with a motor moving diagonally down the stairs, maybe with arms on pistons or something. I think it'd be worth the money for HHN for that type of scare

Hollywood got this but Orlando didn't.  Too bad :/

39 minutes ago, RustySomebody said:

Hollywood got this but Orlando didn't.  Too bad :/

Just saw the two effects that I was proposing and they were almost exactly spot on to what I was envisioning. The first bed scene is amazing and those two effects were great, but the rest of the house was a little underwhelming.