Freuquent Fear First or Second Week? Off Site Hotel Recommendations

Cloves

Hi everyone, I have been attending HHN for five years now, and I love it. It has become a yearly event for me. This year I'll be making the trek down by myself. Friends/fam all can't go.

I was wondering what people thought about the first or second week as a better and why?

Also looking to meet up with some members or groups to enjoy the park with. Doing HHN thurs, fri, sat and sun. Universal in the day and water parks via hopper ticket.

The Movieland Hotel right across from Wet N Wild is where we stayed the first 10 years we went.  It's old, but it's clean.  It has crazy outdated pictures on the walls (like N*Sync) and has no real frills.  It has an outdoor pool (don't think it has a hot tub, but might be wrong) and an on site Black Angus restaurant.  The breakfast buffet there is horrible, and never ate lunch or dinner there, but at night it can be fun.  People say it has AMAZING steaks.  Apparently, most hotel bars on I-Drive close at like 10pm or something and they're open later...so the employees from all the other bars show up there for some late night fun and Kareoke.

If all you want is a roof over your head, it's perfect.  You could walk to Universal if you wanted to...otherwise it's like $10 for a cab ride there.  Whatever you do, DON'T TAKE THE FREE SHUTTLE.  Since you are right where the hotels start on I-Drive, you get picked up first and then drive alllllll the way down I-Drive.  It took so long, we were tempted to get off and call a cab from wherever we were.  Taking it home wouldn't be a bad idea, but we never seemed to do that...maybe it stops running at midnight or something.  Not sure.

It's been a good 5 years since we stayed there, but it was more than serviceable and was one of the cheapest places you could find on I-Drive.  Really old video games and the vending machines on each floor seem to be out of service half of the time, but it's a roof over your head.

http://www.monumentalmovielandhotel.com/

Edited by Oysterhead00

Thanks Oysterhead! Just booked air down there. Headed down for the first full week.

That place has a great rate! Haven't seen that in the major travel sites yet. Thanks for the heads up. I might just pay for parking since I will probably do universal in the day. Go back relax for a few then head back for horror nights.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually go the second week, so they work out some the bugs in the houses after the first week.  The last few years we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Nearest to Universal on Major Blvd.  The rooms are basic and pretty clean and up to date. The pool is small, but still nice for a swim. The rates are not too bad there, usually you can catch a good deal through the Universal website vacation planning as a partner hotel, sometimes they will give you a free night if you stay more then 4 nights. And parking is free.  The big draw to the hotel is it has free breakfast buffet in the morning, food is always good and there is enough options to fill you up.  And from the front door of the hotel, to the entrance of City Walk is about a 20 minute walk.  There is a Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites across from Universal (the one with the TGI Fridays attracted to it). It is a closer walk, but there is no free breakfast there. 

• 3 weeks later...

The places on Major are highly recommended.

Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta Inn.
Hyatt Place is best of the bunch, with a free breakfast that is actually good.

But you may find that Universal Cabana Bay is quite affordable - big downside to Universal resorts is parking fee.

A bit more expensive is Sapphire Falls.  Better than Cabana Bay because it has a water Taxi.

All of the above are walkable.  The walk back at the end of a long night is a lot harder...

Staying farther (i.e. International Drive) is cheaper.  I've stayed in the big round tower (whatever it's called these days), and it was nice.

a lot of the places on International Drive are worthy being on Hotel Impossible (I stayed at one that was featured on it).

Might want to stick to Major Blvd.