Grind Goes To James Franco's Party? or Jabbawokeez Not Far... A Review

Grindhousehero13

Okay guys once again the last man out... and let me tell you guys it was a doozy. While one of the weakest years content wise, personally this has been the most eventful trip since 2007. 

Okay I thought it's time to do my review as an HHN veteran, I've been going 2006 when I was 16 and honestly believe this is officially a crossroads for HHNH in a lot of ways so here we go.

Grind Goes To James Franco's Party? Or Jabbawokeez Not Far!

First off bizarre thing if anyone went last night let me know if you experienced this too, we somehow did not pay for parking. We left around 1:40 and got off the 101 around 2:20 and with the construction going on they led us straight into the JP structure without going thru a parking booth we were surprised and even checked to see if the other cars had their parking receipt some did and some did not we ask the next person we saw who turned out to be a park employee and he said they might of confused us for employees but others guests were parking so we just left it as is. HEY free parking right?

CityWalk Deals & Merch

So we got to spend a little time around city walk before we had to line up at security so we stopped and ate I used my HHN coupon for buy one get free at subway personally I kinda wish they would extend the deal more to the fast food locations instead of mostly the big restaurant but ehh that's just me. 

I went to the Universal store to pick up whatever merch I was gonna buy first off Merch sucked this year... BIG TIME. The only thing that made up for it was the glow in the dark shirt which is one of the cooler things I saw... If I had the cash I would of gotten the hoodie and the pin as well. The Halloween lanyard was cool as well and I can appreciate it was not Walking Dead again but I more of a Friday the 13th guy. Besides that the merch was some of the worst I've seen, a lot was missing as far as selection (mugs, tumbler, shooters, ect.) and designs were questionable especially the "Three wolf shirt" Insidious shirt... wtf.

Park Employees

First I want  to take the time out and acknowledge how awesome the park employees are not once did I come across someone who seemed to hate their job. Really lovely and fun people to talk to and are always helpful. You guys are the real MVP.

Early Entry

YES! This is how it should be done really helps hardcore fans get everything done I know it had it's bugs at first but last night it work beautifully. Got some rides out of the way for an hour and lined up for TWD all before 6:15.

The Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far

The first maze of the day  night and honestly the best one of the night. First off the minute you walk in you could not tell that it was sunny outside, really put you in the mood, Some points were even pitch black (I'm assuming these were the black wall zones) Honestly if the black hallways are pitch black dark and you can't see anything... I don't mind it in fact I welcome it, it really did make me feel uncomfortable and paranoid. The scare actor in this maze were the best! one of the most aggressive group I've seen enough to put in my book with the likes of Into The Further, and Back In Business. Shout out the Walkers in the church scene you guys got me the best I commend you guys on blending in with the static walkers perfectly. The only thing that killed it a bit was the 3rd year in of row of the walker wall which I saw no need for. I will say as far as material I feel like this could of really waited until this year to makes sense of the Wolves and Alexandria instead of feeling a showcase of 3 episodes but regardless this is one of my new favorites and one of my top favorite casts and best Walking Dead maze! Way to knock it out of the park.

Environment: 8/10

Facade: 8/10

Cast:10/10 (I wish I could give you guys 20/10)

Scares: 10/10

Award: Best Cast

Overall Grade: A++

So after another ride on Transformers and The Mummy it was barely 7:00 so since it seemed everyone seen scare patrol at Insidious around 7:15 we decided to hit This Is The End next.

This Is The End: 3D

I honestly feel a lot of you guys went it to this maze not willing to give it a chance. One of the reason I did not believe this was a maze so much was the fact I knew for it to be good they would have to take a lot of liberties which unfortunately they did not. There was a lot of things that could of done better. That being said I don't think it deserve that slack it's been getting (dodge tomatoes) wait wait put down your torches and pitchforks I'm not saying this was one of the best mazes I'm saying it's not at the complete bottom it's floater, I hold it higher regards than Clowns 3D or Saw Is The Law but it not by far a good maze but I had fun and like it for what it was worth. The scare actors were great here even Craig Robinson was scaring people when the room would turn into hell he would grab a pitch fork and put in your face. The demon Jonah was great and really lively he looked at us as if he was asking us when the line "Is it really that compelling" that was a great touch at least made us feeling like we were part of that scene. The Michael Cera was wiggling so that was cool, and the demon puppets seem like they were having fun with it more than just going back and forth. I like the 3D in way better than Clowns or Black Sabbath and is getting more into how it was in HOTC... Trippy. Which I think is how it should be. The Boo Holes why were they such a mess? I also feel they were missing an opportunity with the facade with the winged demon. Also random palm tree in middle of the maze is random. To END this... it just is what is.

PS: I think that whole theory that Murdy only did this is the end to use an effect he wanted to use in an Exorcist Maze was complete bull unless I miss a chunk of the movie where it got all neon colored and Jonah Hill cameoed. 

Environment: 6/10

Facade: 5/10

Cast: 9/10

Scares: 2/10

Award: Cast had more fun with their rolls/Return to Form with 3D

Overall grade: C-/D+

Insidious: Return To The Further

Not gonna lie was looking forward to this the most but it did not live up to my hype. First Tucker and Specs should just be at HHN every year. They complimented my beard and acknowledge my friend's wrestling (don't ask me why she wore a stone cold shirt) and told her that if any ghost show up to call out for John Cena... This was a great bit! now getting into the house had me with some great nostalgia but for the first half it was more or less the same thing with same gags but it picked up in the further, I loved how they pulled off the "He has baby" gag with the spotlight and black wall pretty damn good, and they got me a few times in the fog (Was working btw) with the further ghosts pretending to be static. I love how camouflaged the boo holes were you could not tell what was a door or not then bam... they get you the first Man who can't breathe got me good from above but the rest were kind all out of their boo holes at the same time so it kind threw me off. Over all good maze just not as intense as Into The Further.

Environment:   8/10

Facade: 9/10

Cast: 8/10

Scares: 7/10

Award: Well hidden boo holes/ Tucker and Specs

Overall Grade: A-

Scare Patrol

Specs told us Scare patrol came out normally around 7:30  but we did not see them around so we decided to hit the backlot mazes and return to Insidious later hoping the Scare patrol would be so as we were walking to the the tram. Guess what! The Scare Patrol were setting up in front of the This Is The End facade ask for the invite to the party told them "Housewarming" and got our invites... so we head to the backlot and line up for Crimson Peak and wouldn't you know it... another group of Scare Patrol dancing away to "Backstreet's Back" how appropriate. So in the tune to "Backstreet's Back" we asked "Where is our invite". Told them the password and grabbed our second invite! Luck was on our side that night! BTW Franco Invites great free keepsake I thank Murdy for continuously doing this for us hardcore fans.

The Purge: Suburban Nightmare & Tram To Backlot

Let's rewind 15 minutes So after getting our first Franco Invites we got to bored front on the tram once again the employees are always awesome had a few laugh with the girls directing people on the tram with mic. We got on and our guide Devon asked us what we had and told her invites for James Franco's House Party, when she replied "That's cool I'm sure nothing could go wrong there." and we joked about Michael Cera being there and how much of an asshole he is when he was on coke... great times Devon was awesome! But as we got off into the Purge for some reason seemed empty, the only scare actors out were two of Young Ghoul's gang and they were not moving around much or doing anything for that matter but once we got into the metro sets Big Daddy and his men, and Purge Victims were lively and in your face made up for the first half.

Overall Grade: D+

Crimson Peak: Maze Of Madness

A maze about nothing... (que Seinfeld theme) Baseing a maze entirely on the trailer was a very odd choice especially a Del Toro movie I'm not gonna lie I was lost on what was going on the whole damn time. That being said damn I loved this maze... sets were beautiful despite how lackluster the facade was. The creature design the interior were all just gorgeous and I was targeted a lot in this maze for some reason especially by the black and red ghosts. The entrance to Crimson Peak (the Mansion)  was incredible and the guy who blended into the curtains was awesome, cast was great got a few scares in here besides one awkward scare when the Red Ghost came prematurely and just looked at us like uhhh and ran back into the boo hole. 

Environment: 10/10

Facade: 6/10

Cast: 9/10

Scares: 9/10

Award: Beautifull Sets

Overall Grade: A-

AVP: Alien Vs. Predator 

Meh same everything! I mean still good maze but it did nothing for me to be honest this time around but I appreciate Murdy's honesty about it's reason for coming back so I'll give it a fair assessment. Though I will say the cast were better last they seemed very sluggish this year besides the face hugger scare actors.

Environment: 10/10

Facade: 10/10

Cast: 5/10

Scares: 4/10

Overall: C+

Terror Tram: Survive The Purge

Finally no more Walking Dead... well at least not on the Terror Tram, and let me say this this is one of the better ones in a while not up to par with the old school "Icon" Terror Trams but was still better than the last 3 Invaded Terror Trams not too much to talk about as far as sets same thing just different skins but I will yeah maybe the path can't change but I feel like it needs new life breathed into next year to get rid of this stale stigma it has with us hardcore fans. Cast was great loved the lady at the loading when came back we told her "You lied there were no arts and crafts" and she replied "Whatever do you mean.. did you make friendships bracelets?" One incident that happened is why I have a problem with most guests and they seem to be the same type of people D-bags who try to act like the coolest shit since ice one of the purgers at the fence with the bat did his fake swing gag and the guy hit the bat out of his hand my friend told him he dropped his bat and people just kept walking over it. I tried giving it back to him but he ran and snagged it (staying in character) good on you bro! I just hate guy who are d-bags to scare actors. But back to it, the tram was pretty good but I do feel we need a proper ending to the tram again.

Cast: 10/10

Story/Theme: 7/10

Overall Grade: B+

Springfield USA & Krusty Burger 

I have not been to the park since last year where the whole park was just a maze of "Pardon our Stardust" walls but with Springfield open and Harry Potter World almost done the park looks completely different and bigger! First note though I love how they had the Treehouse of Terror Theme playing was very cool everything was cool and all the workers were lively and funny. I appreciate how the menus monitors were halloweenish. I had my first Krusty Burger guys! woo hoo! anyways everything is looking great and kinda helped me make up my mind on getting an annual pass. But PSA to other please don't be a d-bag and pick up your trash and tray as you leave especially when it as pack as horror nights you wouldn't believed how trashed Moe's was.

Jabbawokeez

Jabba Whaties?

Before I get into first off I acknowledge that they are good at what they do and do have fans. Also I seen the show to be fair before I put the final nail in the coffin hell maybe I would of liked it live... annnnnnd I still f*cken hate them. Look personally I think the notion of professional dance crews are f'en lame not to say I hate dance routine just think this is a product of the 80's that should of stayed there let alone add shitty club music. The only good songs were Boyz in the Hood and California Love but both I had the feeling were pandering to Straight outta Compton being released and to kiss our ass as California (face it so cal is the place that gets excited when that song gets played) so over all music sucked big time. Yeah I'm more of an emo/punk rock type of guy but I do have a wide selection of music taste ranging into electronic, pop, and rap, but I can not stand club music this is not what I come to HHN for and The Nae Nae song does not belong. I've seen everywhere "oh I like the story and it was funny." I'm sorry but realistically a brief clip of one of them falling asleep and waking with segments of nonsensical mime dancing is a plot or storyline. Basicly They are glorified mimes at the end of the day and the cherry on top of the sh*t pile is they did even attempt to at least make it halloween themed yeah you could argue that B&T was not either but at least it was entertaining and was a staple of HHN. Don't get me on the crowd it dragged in because everyone who was acting like an idiot had Jabbawokeez merch these girls decided to stop the flow of traffic outside castle theater by the Jabbawokeez merch stand because the nae nae song came on and did (and I'm not kidding you) the full dance in the middle of the crowd until some great citizen yelled stop dancing I'm losing brain cells at which point they stopped and the crowd applauded the guy. Look no offense if you are a fan but they do not belong at horror nights and if they do decide to do something related please go with at least Villain's Academy who tend to horror related routines. But the fun doesn't end there guys but I'll get to that soon.

Overall Grade: F

Exterminatorz

Great concept truly Murdy at his best. Loved the sets and the added voice of the leader threatening humans perfect. My favorite street actors this year and and in a while. Loved the Insect Spray gag got sprayed by one of them did realize they actually sprayed. The only thing was that my favorite Scare Actor (the Rat Leader with the Dreads) who was not on stilts for some reason was obviously supposed to be the barker this year this was just a sad afterthought.

Overall Grade: A

Dark Christmas

Second year and I have to say was better the first year... I feel like there were more characters last year and again no stilts? I will say Yeti was a nice touch. Also Perverted Evil Santa was funny.

Overall Grade: B

So we walked into Minion Mayhem (Always great) talked to my friend who worked there and took a small break in fron of Gru's cafe. My brother decided to go play the carnival games so I walked to the bathroom in front of the globe theater real quick I returned in shcok to see my brother holding the biggest Unicorn you can win, he won the fricken thing first try. So needless the whole damn night we heard "IT'S So FLUFFY" a million times and a million girls stopped to take pictures with him (That rat bastard lol) but what made up for this was the fact that it made him a target for scare actors and it was stabbed a lot the rest of the night haha.

Corpz

The Loser from last year finally got it's due and I'm gonna say not bad. I do feel it's time to stop relying too much on making that scare zone french every year but the characters were well designed and the background noises added to the experience. Scare actors were great too each and everyone of them stabbed my brother's unicorn and I watched a soldier chase around a girl for 10 in a circle. Good Stuff

B+

So An incident happen and wanted to know if anyone knew what happened around 11ish we were by the lard lad donuts waiting for my friends to get a donut so me and my brother were hanging out by wigam when some dude slams into me knocking my monster can out of my hand into another guy, the guy was running away from security and police. I yelled some pretty insulting things at him and asked the guy who got hit by my can if he was okay all I know is the guy was in a white shirt and was carrying a (I sh*t you not) a jabbawokeez merch bag which dropped by shrek 4D someone in the crowd said he hit a scare actor but IDK because he ran from where the simpsons ride was. But at least they were giving out free coke zero at the Jack FM tent so yeah! although someone did get mad that they were not alcohol shots and guess what he was wearing... go on you know.

Halloween: Michael Myers Comes Home

My gut feeling was right about this it was more or less the same maze as 2009 with a few questionable choices but first it's story time and my title for this thread was not just to be cute.

The whole night me and my group kept making jokes about Jabawokeez and while in line for Halloween  there was this tall guy talking to my brother about his unicorn (the more I say it the more ridiculous it sounds) well after a while a they got awkwardly quite as the jokes went on until my friend's lady friend who has seen them live and for some reason knows what they look like without their masks whispers to us "That's The Jabbawokeez" honestly I felt so bad but in my head I was laughing non stop.

Now back to the maze I did dig the first room with Michael on top of the stair but to be honest the facade seemed super small compared to the last Halloween maze all the actors were great though I watched a trick r treater point out my brother's Unicorn (weird seriously) to Michael. One thing I do not get is why they used the pardon our star dust walls for the hedge scene I mean I seen those exact same bush walls all over the damn park I could not get over that. Honestly if they can only get the rights to the first and third one why do it again?

Environment: 5/10

Facade 6/10

Cast: 8/10

Award: Michael Myers Stabbing a Unicorn...wait did Rob Zombie write this?

Overall C+

Chainsaw Chaseout

Chainsaw Chase out or as it was called this year the mass castration! seriously they all aim there chainsaws at everyone's dicks it was pretty damn funny. I had not got a chance to see this in year so with the crowds being low this year and finishing up everything pretty much early hit JP on last time and went and chilled in front of the Potter store and watched the chaos epic as always funny how many girls collapse on the floor during this. The guys were awesome and super energetic I got some great video I'll try to share with you guys soon.

Okay now I'm gonna share something with you guys that really did offend me as a paying customer, a guests of horror nights since it resurrected in 2006 and a hardcore and loyal fan of Halloween Horror Nights I was looking for the rest of my group after the chase out and ran in to survey people who asked a guy next to me if he wanted to do the survey and win which he said no then I said I'll do to which the girl said how old are you "25" I said and just as she wrote it down and was about to ask me if I had any family who worked for Universal the guy stops and say "Sorry you're too old our target audience is 17 to 24 or else you'd be perfect" I was like okay left found my friends and headed when another girl asked us to take the survey in which I told her what the other guy said. she says she always does the surveys and the target age group is normally 18-30 (which I have heard before) and that guy came back and said that now it's 17 to 24 in which case my brother said he was 20 so they took him after he gave his input in the VIP lounge as we were walking out (we were very verbal about our distaste of Jabbawokeez. Despite overhearing the phrase "Now find someone with Jabbawokeez merch and ask them to do the survey" What pissed me off is that they say this is an adult event an alienate adults then wonder why they get sued so much. I don't know that ticked me off.

Over all I think this has been the weakest year content wise and felt very devoid of Murdy's personal touch and I feel like the event is at a crossroads tickets are not selling like years before and a lot of the park just felt like it was just Universal at night I'll post some improvements and stuff I think should be made but as for now I typed myself into a coma. But overall Still had fun.

Happy Halloween everyone!!!

Edited by Grindhousehero13
  • Like 4

Over all I think this has been the weakest year content wise and felt very devoid of Murdy's personal touch and I feel like the event is at a crossroads tickets are not selling like years before and a lot of the park just felt like it was just Universal at night.

This is what worries me about the future of HHN Hollywood..

Great review, Grind!

just curious then how come they are not selling out like before? Are there more tickets on sale than before?

I don't think they're selling more tickets (I don't remember exactly what the limit was last year) but this year has been pretty consistent. If hypothetically the limit was 24,000 per night, we may not be selling out but it'd be 23,000 or so guests that night. So I guess it isn't a consistent 4 nights in a row sold out, but sales are strong and almost hitting the limit. So there may be a slight decline, but it's not significant. 

I mean it the last 2 years tickets would sell out  between the week before and the day before 2013 if you guys recall my review we try to buy some tickets for people who joined day of and we got to Universal at 9:00am and they sold out and after talking to the ticket manager (If that what the title is lol) and she sold us FOTL tickets that they save for special guests and the  now tickets don't sell out til and if they they do it's half way through the event. Not argueing and I'm saying that they are going bankrupt or anything lol just it kinda does say something as to what IDK.

I mean it the last 2 years tickets would sell out  between the week before and the day before 2013 if you guys recall my review we try to buy some tickets for people who joined day of and we got to Universal at 9:00am and they sold out and after talking to the ticket manager (If that what the title is lol) and she sold us FOTL tickets that they save for special guests and the  now tickets don't sell out til and if they they do it's half way through the event. Not argueing and I'm saying that they are going bankrupt or anything lol just it kinda does say something as to what IDK.

Nah I totally get you and I know your not arguing or anything. Haha I think people who have gone previous years were probably put off by the huge lines and didn't know how to plan the night like most of us on the forums do. I can't imagine waiting more than an hour for a 3-4 minute experience. 

Nah I totally get you and I know your not arguing or anything. Haha I think people who have gone previous years were probably put off by the huge lines and didn't know how to plan the night like most of us on the forums do. I can't imagine waiting more than an hour for a 3-4 minute experience. 

honestly it was so bizarre seeing the lower lot so empty all night but also this is the first Thursday I ever attended. 

If you went Thursday, I was the in the Further room with the static ghosts. I was the only one without a mask, and I would have been the very first 'real' ghost in that room. It was either me, or a guy with a top hat. :P

Shame you couldn't watch me for twenty minutes at tram loading being my stupid zombie. ):

I miss last year so much.

• Like 1

If you went Thursday, I was the in the Further room with the static ghosts. I was the only one without a mask, and I would have been the very first 'real' ghost in that room. It was either me, or a guy with a top hat. :P

Shame you couldn't watch me for twenty minutes at tram loading being my stupid zombie. ):

I miss last year so much.

I knew that was you last lol that was literally the highlight of last year!!!

in the further I remember seeing someone with a top hat and someone shorter than him we saw them reset and they still got us

• Like 1

Great review.  Interesting that we agree on so many points:

• Least good year yet
  • Jab-O-Wonks suck (loved your stories, and you're right - dancing mimes - like the world was in need of that)
  • TWD was sadly the best of the lot which in itself says so much
  • Purge overlay on tram was one of the better ones, but overall same old
  • Crimson Peak was nonsensical; however, you enjoyed it
  • Halloween was wildly overrated and wasn't much different than the last time we saw it
  • Insidious was meh but Turner and Hooch were great.

Where I differ from you is that while you conclude that this year is missing Murdy's touch, I see it as he's just not into it this year.  

Maybe I'm reading way too much into things, but given doing "This is the End" and the recent tweet photos of all the past years, my gut is telling me that this is Murdy's last year in this role.  That, and I'm so desperately hoping that a new face would breathe new life into an event that's become cookie-cutter.

Edited by zombieman
  • Like 1

Great review.  Interesting that we agree on so many points:

• Least good year yet
  • Jab-O-Wonks suck (loved your stories, and you're right - dancing mimes - like the world was in need of that)
  • TWD was sadly the best of the lot which in itself says so much
  • Purge overlay on tram was one of the better ones, but overall same old
  • Crimson Peak was nonsensical; however, you enjoyed it
  • Halloween was wildly overrated and wasn't much different than the last time we saw it
  • Insidious was meh but Turner and Hooch were great.

Where I differ from you is that while you conclude that this year is missing Murdy's touch, I see it as he's just not into it this year.  

Maybe I'm reading way too much into things, but given doing "This is the End" and the recent tweet photos of all the past years, my gut is telling me that this is Murdy's last year in this role.  That, and I'm so desperately hoping that a new face would breathe new life into an event that's become cookie-cutter.

I mean that's more or less how I felt about Murdy I felt very early on he was disconnected from the event on Twitter he didn't seem much into a lot of it and his Twitter was taken over a lot. I think there may have been struggles with Management and the retarded decision they have been making. One of the biggest clues is in Exterminatorz the Rat leader was obviously meant to be a barker. His over all appearance is way more theatrical then the rest of the cast. 

• Like 1