Spoiler Free Opening Weekend Review

foREVer56

Having now attended 3 nights this year and have done most houses 2-4 times (Purge and TWD have 1 run so far), I'm comfortable enough to make a formal review on my opinions thus far. Some houses may improve as the event runs it's course, keep in mind.

Overall, this year is everything that's been missing since 2011. STRONG house lineup, incredibly engaging and fun zones, great atmosphere! The crowds already are a BITCH, but I like to think of this year as a classic 2000-2010 year with modern house themes and crowds. Sucks, but event's so good, it's easy to get over. I'll review the houses in reverse order of my favorites.

9. The Walking Dead: The Living and the Dead (1 run)

That is a terrible name for a house. Using the same word twice in the same title is redundant and creatively bankrupt, much like this house. First TWD house I didn't like. 2012's didn't suck, 2013's was fun, I really enjoyed last year's, but this one just felt lazy. There's only so much you can do with the same property year after year, even with new seasons. Last year was the perfect way to kick the property out of the event, yet they decided to drag it back along. 99% Walkers, of course. Most out in the open, some with good hiding spots that will scare plenty of people. Water effect is absolutely pathetic, much like the horde of zombies on a track from last year's maze that has made an encore appearance. I'll give this one another shot, and if the cast steps it up it'll be decent for scares, but this was not a good house. Comcast, Universal, and whoever else: Stop forcing A&D to create this maze. After this weekend's crowds, and where they're going, TWD is NOT the reason they're showing up. No one gives a fuck about the property at HHN anymore. GET. RID. OF. IT. 

Current grade: D

8. RUN: Blood, Sweat, and Fears (4 runs)

I had a great run through EP night, but I've done it 3 times since and all have been bad. Very inconsistent here. Decent house. I like some of the design choices, and the transitions are cool, but overall this house boils down to the cast. Right now they're not giving enough enthusiasm from what I'm seeing. This house has the potential to shoot up this list if they put more effort into it.

Current grade: C

7. The Purge (1 run)

OK the rest of the houses are awesome. Only reason this isn't #6 is because I've only done it once so far. Once I do it some more, and see if it's consistent, this will move up. FUN house. Very intense, big cast, interesting choices to cover up the Scream scenic, and just an overall feeling of chaos and energy. This will be a GP favorite for sure.

Current grade: B-

6. Asylum in Wonderland 3D (2 runs)

THANK YOU FOR NOT SUCKING. FINALLY a 3D house worth a damn! Very creative sets, and the best use of the vortex tunnel to date. Fairly low on scares, but it's insanely trippy and cool to walk through, even without scares! Cool costumes too. Sweet house!

Current grade: B-

5. An American Werewolf in London (3 runs)

Only reason it's so low is because it's a been there, done that situation. But it's still a goddamn beautiful house. New wolves are HUGE and scary. Not much else to say about it. We all said everything that needed to be said in 2013.

Permanent grade: A

4. Insidious (2 runs)

This was #1 for me until a less than stellar run on Friday. Doesn't make the house worse, just makes it less consistent than the other 3. This house is CREEPY. Some of the most intense scares I've ever seen at the event, if you don't miss them. I feel some scenes, especially the first couple, aren't designed so well for scares, but the rest makes up for that.

The Further is one of the most intense and creepy moments of HHN history.

Cast needs to make sure they keep delivering, and this will be an all timer for sure.

Current grade: A

3. Body Collectors: Recollections (4 runs)

I went in 05 but missed the original BC due to a 2 hour line. Was excited to finally see a BC house in 08, but came out underwhelmed (Was also only 12 at the time and didn't pay attention to anything that didn't scare me, so not a fair judgement). This house is GORGEOUS and has some really great scares! Cast has been giving it their all and there's some great scenes for scares in this one. Finale's sorta weak but the house is strong enough without it. GREAT house.

Current grade: A

2. Freddy vs Jason (4 runs)

I was beyond excited for this house. NoES 07 scared 11 year old me to my core, and it will forever be my favorite house of all time because of it. To see Freddy in a house again made me SO excited. However, at the same time, I was nervous and paranoid this would turn out like AvP: gorgeous but boring and pathetic scare wise. I went in here cautious and came out fucking GIDDY. THIS HOUSE IS BRILLIANT. Jason outweighs Freddy, as many have stated, but doesn't matter. The scares are there, the sets are there, the kills are there. The vs scenes are so amazing, and the metal and sound effects playing make it feel as fun and awesome as the movie. Screen effects are great but take WAY too long to reset, most people miss them. This house is a goddamn masterpiece.

Permanent grade: A+

1. Jack Presents: 25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem (4 runs)

If FvJ is a masterpiece, then this is the crown jewel. I was not expecting this house to turn out like it did. It is LONG, and the cast is HUGE. And man, do they deliver.Scene selection is perfectly fine outside of The Forsaken, which is a scene that is cool in concept, but didn't really work then or now. Scares are very consistent, sets are gorgeous, SO many callbacks to the past (I mean, you could do this house 20 times and still find something new. Look around everywhere, including up.). This is the anniversary house Hallow'd Past had no chance of being, and is the best original house I've seen in quite some time. This is a top 5 of all time type of house. Unbelievably impressed by this one. This will absolutely be my most visited house this year. Great job A&D. You knocked it out of the park with this one.

Permanent grade: A+++++++++++++++++++++

Scarezones:

5. All Nite Die-In: Double Feature

This zone didn't work for me. Cast is way to small, you can barely see any actors walking through here. Disappointing.

Grade: D-

4. Scary Tales: ScreamPunk

This zone is literally one prop and lighting. That's it. Costumes are creative and twisted (Bo Peep's my favorite), and the cast is doing a geat job, especially with scaring people in the M&M/ Asylum queues.

Grade: C

3. HHN: Icons

That name makes me cringe. Hodgepodge of old HHN characters. The icon stages are very detailed, and the kill moments are pretty cool!

Grade: B

2. Evil's Roots

Classic creepy, halloween, HHN vibe that Central Park is always so good at capturing. This zone also features past characters, like from Grown Evil. Eerie zone, got a few jumps out of me.

Grade: A

1. PsychoScareapy: Unleashed

This zone is bloody perfect. Picture the chaos of the Purge mixed with humor, block party music, and a psychotic presence. The actors in this zone are absolutely amazing at embracing the inmate role. Most fun I've ever had people watching in this zone. Will be spending a lot of time in here.

Grade: A+

Shows:

Bill and Ted

Opening: WEAK. After the last 2 years, what happened here?

Main show: Really enjoyed the show this year. The last 2 were better, but there's a lot of great jabs and jokes in this one too. 

Closer: good, not great. Again, after the last 2 years on incredible openings and closings, what happened?

Grade: B

Carnage Returns

I've gotta say, I'm not loving this show like most seem to. The set, effects, fire, dancing etc is AWESOME, but the dialogue and actual show isn't all too good, imo. Feels cheesy to me. Will have to see it again to make a final judgement.

Current Grade: C

There's very few flaws this year for me. One house, one zone, and the second show isn't great, which is nothing new for me. Very strong year so far, on track to be one of my favorites of the past 11!

Event grade: A

• Like 4

I have to say, I thought the opening of this years B&T was one of the better parts of the show overall.

Eh, I wasn't a huge fan of it. 2013's was golden, last year's was great, and this one was just kinda good enough. I'm gonna give both shows another shot this weekend to make a final judgement on them