HHN23 Review

ForeverEvil1

HHN23 Review

Houses (From 1-7)

WARNING: SPOILERS

1.Cabin in the Woods

First off, I learned a valuable lesson. Never judge an IP maze by it’s movie. I’d heard mixed things about the movie and wasn’t expecting a great maze. Boy, was I wrong. From room 1, I was terrified. From the cabin to the facility, it was endless scares. My favorite part being the fact you never knew exactly what was around the corner due to all the monsters used. From redneck zombies to killer clowns, the maze was the most unique of them all. The in-line video was amusing being a 50’s like PSA. I am happy this IP was used to its fullest potential. Only problem was we got stopped for a minute or two in the semi-final room, which isn't really the maze’s fault. Oh, and the line was a bit long. For being an unexpected treat along with being unique in almost every way, I’m giving it a 10/10.

2. American Werewolf in London

I don’t know HOW they did it, but they literally told the entire story of AWiL in a 5-7 minute maze. Having seen the movie, I can prove this. From the Slaughtered Lamb to Piccadilly Circus, they got everything. Had the best effects in show. The people dressed as werewolves could be passed of as actual werewolves. Heck, even the animatronic ones could. The line went pretty long, but it was admittedly worth it. I sadly missed most of the werewolf scares. Amusingly enough, the human scares were the ones that got me. Also, its werewolves. Which have become a bit bland, I guess. The werewolves were great here though. For telling the entire story and having good effects and (from what I saw) scares, I’m giving it a 9.5/10

3. Evil Dead

The theme between my top 3 is that they all used as much as they could from their property as possible. Evil Dead does that, from the “You’re all going to die tonight” line to the turkey knife scene. There was some cool set pieces like the Necronomicon pages in the air to the giant logo. Problem being, this was my second maze after Cabin in the Woods, which also involved a cabin in a forest with a book that summons zombies. Evil Dead uses it’s forest a bit more though to make up for the lack of a cool facility area. Quite a few scares got me. From plain jump scares to a Deadite popping out of the forest. The climax where the cabin is burning is pretty good. However, in Hollywood they had the chainsaw scene where Mia kills the Abomination. After watching that, I was slightly disappointed Orlando didn’t do that. Instead, they had a Mia with a chainsaw jump out. Boom, end of house. But for getting a lot of story in with good scares, even with the bland(depending on order) setting and disappointing climax, it gets a 8.5/10

4. Resident Evil: Escape from Raccoon City

Very happy to see this was more game-based than movie. I was a bit worried earlier on. Resident Evil got Raccoon City down. They actually put Leon, Claire and Nemesis in, which was nice. Leon with his odd hairstyle looked a bit weird though. The zombies seemed limited, even though it started being a zombie-only game, the scares seemed more mutant focused. Like the Licker and the dogs. The dogs were slightly goofy, but startled me a bit. The Licker was a hole in the wall scare, that was pretty freaky. Also, I’d like to say they didn’t get the right villain to fight the heroes. Though that’s a nitpick, since I doubt many cared too much. The pause room was amusing to see. The zombies did a good job (a chef literally got right into my face.). So, for getting the setting and characters right, with the scareactors doing pretty good, even with the lack of the zombies, it gets a 8/10.

5. Havoc: Derailed

I know nothing about this particular storyline. I didn’t even know it was a sequel until i researched. From what I can tell, it involves maniac super soldiers. Which is cool, I guess. Oh, and they’re called “The Dogs of War”. Maybe if I could have heard the in-line video, I would have learned more(Thanks Rocky Horror, thanks.). From what the map said, they are being transported via train to an unknown location. I heard China being mentioned, maybe that was it. The train setting was done better than expected. I really felt like I was on a train. The build-up to the derailing was great. It starts with the scares being the banging against cages. Then the train derails and all of a sudden, there’s scares every 3 feet. Problem being, the scarers have nothing unique about them, they’re just crazy humans. Still,It was pretty cool. Also, a bit short, but it did what it could. For an interesting story, a great setting, and okay scares, despite it generic scarer choice and shortness, it gets a 7.5/10

6. Urban Legends: La Llorona

Now I’m not familiar with La Llorona. I know she’s some Spanish story about a woman looking for her dead children. I didn’t care too much for the story, as I’m not Spanish, but that didn’t matter that much. The scares were good with the Lloronas really timing their scares at the end. The beginning, however, the scares would just miss me, leaving me with only half scares. The setting was good, with the statues and underwater and child skulls. For, an okay story, good setting and scares for the second half, despite an empty first half, it gets a 7/10.

7. Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance

Ugh, this maze. The story was interesting. However, in the maze, I was hoping for more explanation. And I got none. I didn’t complain about this for Havoc as I’m sure the video explained it. But as stated, I couldn’t hear it. Now let’s talk about the 3D gimmick. There was NO POINT for this maze to have the gimmick besides the fact that they must use that precious technology each year. Nothing screamed 3D about killer is haunted in afterlife by victims. Oh yeah, these aren't the newer ones used for their normal rides, these are the crappy old ones. I wear glasses. Normal glasses + Old 3D glasses = Me having to hold the glasses to my face the entire maze. I couldn’t take my normal glasses off because I would have been as blind as a bat. It didn’t matter as the maze was dark as the depths of hell anyway. I bumped into obstacles and scareactors due to the dark and crampedness. There was some cool scenes, like the killer being stabbed at the end and being held in the air and the famous vortex tunnel. I’d like to mention the line was damn long due to people being really slow in line. So that didn’t help the experience. There was a setting for one room, where it’s a penitentiary. Then you venture into hell? Paint splattered, cramped, 3D hell. Wonderful. The scares were unseeable except for one or two times. I give it a 3/10.

?. The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven

Skipped due to time constraints. By that, I mean a 75 minute wait. From what I heard, its in the 5-6 area in terms of score.

WD Street Experience: Still a bit peeved that the Walking Dead is hogging the scare zones. However, I was quite surprised when I really went through the zones. It works as due to the dark, you can’t tell who’s human and who’s a walker (which is how they got me a few times).

I can’t say which one was my favorite due to the facts that you see one, you've seen them all. To my own surprise, some of them got me a bit towards the end. In total, I’m giving the experience a 7.5/10

In Total: 7.5/10

AWARDS

BEST HOUSE: Cabin in the Woods

BEST STORY: American Werewolf in London

BEST SETTING: American Werewolf in London

BEST SCARES: Cabin in the Woods

WORST HOUSE: Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance

WORST STORY: Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance

WORST SETTING: Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance

WORST SCARES: Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance

MOST UNIQUE: Cabin in the Woods

LEAST UNIQUE: Havoc: Derailed

MOST LIKELY TO RETURN NEXT YEAR BESIDES WALKING DEAD: Evil Dead

NEVER AGAIN: Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance

Edited by ForeverEvil1
  • Like 2

yeah I pretty much agree with what you said for Afterlife. I had a similar experience.

This house had a great backstory and it had a very interesting idea. And as a 3D house is a good 3D house (Much better than Penn and Teller)

But together it just does not make a good house

• Like 1

The people dressed as werewolves could be passed of as actual werewolves. Heck, even the animatronic ones could

People dressed as werewolves? The only one close to that is my role, Transforming David. In which case everything from the nipples down is a fake body with puppet legs that I can move.

Every single werewolf in the house is a puppet controlled by a single puppeteer.

• Like 1