The 'HAVOC: Dogs of War' Appeal

Good morning everyone! I am getting ready to leave in a few minutes for a weekend-long marathon of work with our local haunted house here in Puerto Rico and was wondering...

Being the classic haunted house environment lover that I am and given the fact that there were (or still may be) rumors of a HAVOC 2 haunted house this year, it stumped me a bit how that very specific house may have a return. Again, I personally am very fond of the classic haunted attraction, where the scenery is mostly a haunted house/mansion with its ghosts and demons; the vast graveyard with its spirits and undead; the forests and any area with a lush environment; a forboding castle that you may have to brave; classic 1930's horror etc... That is also my forte when it comes to design and storytelling (I drool all over gothic architecture). My questions to all fellow Nightmare makers and dreamers alike are these:

*What was the appeal that HAVOC: Dogs of War had for you?

*What scared you the most out of HDoW, if anything?

*What did you enjoy the most out of HDoW?

*anything else you wish to comment is very welcome.

Thank you all, and I'll be tuning in after this busy weekend is over to see what's popped up and to reply, if I may.

Happy Haunting!

~Alkharon~

People are scared by many things.

For example, the haunted mansion style house is far less scary to me and more like a "comforting friend".

Growing up with the haunted mansion at Disney has made me at home in these situations. I love it but it isn't out my confort zone in the least.

The panic of a miitary compound full of insane people trying to kill you has it's merit with people

I think the bottom line is what makes you feel out of control. This is what scares a person. Many people fear the cold impartial force of the military. Add to that insanity, malevolence, and a loud panicked environment and you have a scary situation for some. Granted it isn't a traditional scare house. But that's what I like about HHN. It keeps with tradition but at the same time does things to break tradition and explore the realm of fear.

Now, based on current intel, I do not believe this house will have the same feel as its predecessor. So it maybe entirely different in its own right.

I think the appeal this house to many including myself is the fact that the house had SO much energy. The scareactors were so in your face and really made you feel that you really were in danger.

I love this house because from start to finish it was loud and just exuded energy.

• Like 1

Universal Orlando has a history of using their history to create new mazes, and doing it well.

The old spooky graveyard and castle house has been run of the mill for a long time. As you said, it's based on a 1930s image of what horror is supposed to be. At this point that style is better suited for young children (as JDW said about the Haunted Mansion) or for pure camp value. The environments and characters have pretty much all been done.

Ah, yes, I see. Thanks for bringing that up too. I remember moving closer and closer to that bunker entrance and seeing/hearing the turret firing overhead just outside, really giving you that actual feeling of being in danger. Seems I had just been stuck in "the supernatural" for too long to think outside of the box or so. I mean, I remember very little from my walkthrough, but I do remember feeling uneasy at being yelled at and going through a savage environment. I'm just not able to enjoy myself in a place like that (which is completely normal and very much intentional, given the environment you're in). As with most things around, "to each, its own". I will attempt to view these unusual/different environments with a more open mind, I guess. There are a lot of fears that are being dealt with in these environments anyway (less fictitious scenarios, etc...). Thank you all for responding and showing your views on this.

~Alkharon~