The Geek's HHN 2012 Review (10/26/2012)

Let's get started shall we? Before we begin we did get VIP, I will review it.

Before HHN

First, we arrived at about 6 and used Valet parking and headed to the main gate. At the main gate we checked in with our VIP and received a wristband and a necklace which said we'll be in for the 6:45 tour. We met with a group of about 20 in the VIP lounge. A tour guide (I forgot his name lol) explained what to expect from the event and we got started!

The VIP Experience

Now that we were told what to expect, our group boarded a single tram and were given a video saying things like "We're going to show you our sets that the general public can't see for our 100th anniversary, there will be no scare actors." Everything was going by very slow until we got the "Flash Flood" which we were told a story about La Llorona and her legend. So far, I was not impressed by this tour, last years was way better. We got to old Mexico and they told us to get out walk the streets of Old Mexico. Once we finished walking by there, we walked by Amity Island and were given a story about how some man hung himself here 40 years ago. What ruined it for me though, is that when we walked by stores/houses/sets you'd hear the door slam somehow trying to convince you of this "ghost", LAME. We then we finished and went to the tram and went to do the Terror Tram. The tour was OK. The VIP Lounge was unimpressive compared to the Blood Lounge last year, I wasn't a fan of the food. The thing that makes VIP worth it though is the Unlimited FOL, that night there was a 160 minute wait for The Walking Dead! I kinda felt bad for the people waiting in line when I passed them. Now my final judgement for VIP is that you should try it once to see if you like it, if you don't like it you don't have to do it again. I like it so I will be doing it again next year.

Tour: C+

Lounge: B

Perks: A-

Overall: B+ Note: I recommend it for only once, but I get it every year for the Unlimited FOL so if you don't like waiting in lines like me I recommend to do this at least once a year.

The Event

We board the tram and were given a video about how the "Walkers" have taken over the backlot. I'm fine with that but slapping a huge logo on the bottom saying "Season 3 Premieres Oct. 14" was annoying, I don't think that's Universal's fault so no penalty for that. Now we were dropped off at Whoville.

The Walking Dead Terror Tram:

All I have to say is wow! This is a huge improvement over 2010 & 2011. The best parts were the gate scene and the Whoville Sets. The worst part though is the Bated Motel: IT WAS CROWDED!!!! There were people everywhere and crowd control dropped the ball here. Other than that this was great, not as good as 2008 or 2009 though because of the Bates Motel.

Sets: 9 A-

Scares: 8 B-

Fun: 9.5 A

Costumes: 8.9 B+

Bias: 10 A+ (I Love the Walking Dead)

Overall: 9.1 A-

We then walked all the way to the VIP Lounge and grabbed a quick bite. Our group seperated and my friend and I did the closest maze near and that was

Alice Cooper Goes to Hell 3D:

Well I thought Alice Cooper was the best last year so thats what I thought when I walked in this maze and this didn't dissapoint me. The 3D was spectacular, better than House of 1000 Corpses, set design was impressive as well. My favorite room was Lust :wub: My problem with the maze though was that it wasn't scary at all. Not once did I get scared. Not as good as last year, but still good!

Sets: 9.5 A

Scares: 7 C-

Facade: 10 A+ (GREAT FACADE)

Fun: 9.5 A

Costumes: 9.5 A

Bias: 9 A

Overall: 9.1 A-

We decided to walk to the lower lot and do everything there. We hit Silent Hill first since it's just to the left of the Starway.

Welcome to Silent Hill

I had no idea what was going on because I had never played the video games or seen the movie so I'm not going going to add bias. This maze was cool, but this suffered where Alice excelled, Sets. I'm not going to go into detail because once again I'm a viewer of the movie or player of the games. Good, though!

Sets: 7 C-

Scares: 9 A-

Facade: 7.5 C

Fun: 9 A-

Costumes: 9.5 A (Props to Pyramaid head)

Bias: N/A

Overall: 8.4 B

Hit Transformers for the first time (Great ride) and Jurassic Park and then The Texas Chain Saw Massacre!

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: The Saw is the Law!

This maze was GREAT! I loved every part of this maze. The dinner scene was great with the Old Man, he said I was fresh meat and told my friend he'd turn him into sausage :D The forest scene was PITCH BLACK it was crazy! I ended up doing this maze 3 times because of its awesomeness. This was almost as good as BiB imo.

Sets: 9.5 A

Scares: 10 A+

Facade: 9.5 A

Fun: 10 A+

Costumes: 10 A+

Bias: 10 A+

Overall: 9.8 A+

I will post the rest my review in 1-5 days

Great review so far USG! I cannot believe how spot on you are with what I experienced (VIP and overall event). My survey to Universal expressed the same concerns about the "hokiness" of the stop at Jaws/Amity Island. Plus, at some point, I would like to see Stage 28 as a stop each year. And I agree with your view of the priceless nature of being able to repeat attractions....a huuuuuuge plus.

We now went to The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead: Dead Inside

This maze was great. The facade was one of the best facades in the history of HHN (there was even a scare in it). This maze was intense with zombies all over the place! One of the best mazes in HHN.

Sets: 9 A-

Scares: 10 A

Facade: 10 A

Fun: 10 A

Costumes: 9.5 A

Bias: 10 A

Overall: 9.7 A

Part 3 coming soon where I review the 2 worst mazes of the night.

• 7 months later...

Sorry guys for this MEGA late review (broken computer lol)!

La Llorana: The Child Hunter

I didn't have high hopes for this maze at all from what I experienced at 2011. This maze was mediocre at best, the sets looked not well put together, scaring was ok, immersion was bad because the maze didn't have the feel like I was being attack by La Llorana. This year was no different except there was better scaring because the ending and there was a giant conga line! Universal needs to sort out there crowd control because it's ruining maze quality and scares. Although I am glad this isn't coming back. OR IS IT *dun dun dun*?

Sets 6 D-

Scares 6 D-

Facade 9.5 A (I will give it props for this though)

Fun 6 D- (CONGA LINE!)

Costumes 8.5 B

Bias: N/A

Overall: 7.2 C- (Mediocre)

Before you guys rage at me I will tell you this was definetly NOT the worst by FAR

Universal Monsters Remix

Where do I begin with this maze? My group got seperated into two so when my friend and I were doing awesome mazes the other group went into this maze. We met back up and they told me it was one of the best mazes of the night. This brought in some hope that this might be a good maze. Those hopes were crushed in the first minute if the maze. The sets were HoH with a few things added, but it's HoH so I won't be harsh. This maze was not so scary AT ALL, the only thing I was scared if my ear drums were going to burst from the loud music. This maze was not fun either my friend and I were like "is it over yet?" throughout the entire time. Overall this maze is EASILY the worst (worst than Wolfman 2011) HHN maze I have ever been in!

Sets: 7 C- (Best HoH sets)

Scares: 1.5 F-- (If there was a dancing category I would give this a 10)

Facade: 5 F (No effort, just a banner)

Fun: 4 F

Costumes: 8 B-

Overall: 5.1 F (Horrible)

Show

Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure

This show was most excellent! The Pre-show was funny, the plot made sense unlike some previous years *looks at 2009 & 2011*, and I actually liked the songs they did except 1D and CRJ.

Overall I would give this a solid A (9.5)

(sorry for the weird spacing)

Overall

I really liked this years (last years) event the show was great, most mazes and Terror Tram were awesome. Scarezones on the other hand felt stale (I'm looking at you Klownz and Silent Hill). For 2013 I feel they need to give some attention to scarezones and HoH. This wasn't the best year but it was better than 2010 & 2011.

Mazes: TCM > TWD > ACGTH > SH > La Llorana > UMR