AsylumSB's 10/5/12 Halloween Horror Nights Adventure

AsylumSB

Back in town and excited to complete my review of Halloween Horror Nights - 2012 edition!! A lot of great memories and wish there was more time for a repeat visit. A few things that stuck with me this year:

• Go-Go’s, Go-Go’s, Go-Go’s. The more the merrier!!
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre may have become my all time HHN favorite maze.
  • The VIP Tram tour stooped to silly “parlor tricks” and almost turned me off from utilizing this admission package for 2013. More on all this soon.

And so begins my visit to HHN (some spoilers may be part of the review). After a Wetzel Pretzel helped tide my hunger until the gates opened, we made our way to the VIP entrance. This year was a bit different in that the security and check-in were separate from the Front of Line entrance and everything was completed just outside of the gates. The earlier the check in, the quicker your Tram Tour started and for us it was 645pm.Because of checking in early, I missed out on the opening scaremonies for the first time in four years. Overall, not a big deal, but I hate to break tradition, and the beginning show always gave that final anticipation one last push.

The Tram Tour took us around the lot, past Stage 28 (the Phantom Soundstage), through Wisteria Lane, with stops at the Flash Flood and King Kong 3D. The best part from last year was a stop at the Clocktower/Town Square set where we disembarked and just explored the dark set without any fanfare. This time we were let out at Amity Island and met by a Location Manager who took us on a brief tour of the set telling us about two people who reported met their demise during pickup shots during Jaws. I should have been totally thrilled about this part of the tour accept one of the LM’s flunkies went from set piece to set piece, opening doors and blinds after they were closed, turned on small lights resembling eyes, and turned on a hydraulic pump under the water where one of the crew people reportedly “died”. What should have been a fun stop at a set was clunky at best, and came off as amateurish and silly. It would have been much more interesting just to tell the stories and let your imagination fly as we explored the area. Most of the people in our group were turned off by this and I thought sarcastically, “Oh what a GREAT start to the evening”.

Fortunately…….our last stop was the Terror Tram, and that is where I felt our night really began!! The chainsaw brigade was out and played their part well as Universal security guards hunting down Walkers. We were met by the brigade and walkers all at the beginning of the tram! Whoville was nicely non-existent and we were treated with an improved fenced “mini-maze”. The Bates Motel was enhanced with survivors pleading with us to leave, not-so-lucky victim “meals” and the Walkers. The TT and the hill trail fit in well with the Walking Dead theming and included a photo-op with Norman Bates himself. Norman basically directed me to stay on the bottom step as he engaged a conversation with my wife during the photo shoot:

“I hope you are in need of shower and have appropriate accommodations for you” as he held the knife up just behind her head as they talked. Great , Great, opportunity that was one of those special things you encounter at HHN.

During our second go around with Terror Tram, we took one of the last tours around 1145pm and were basically by ourselves during the walk. A fog had started to settle at the top of the hill and I saw what looked like some people “hanging out”. All you could see were shadows and I thought why would people stop in the middle to the TT to talk. It ended up being a big group of Walkers and they went after us with intensity……all I can say is WOW and thank you Terror Tram crew!

AsylumSB’s 2nd Annual HHN Awards

Best Horror Property and Most Interactive Maze: Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I cannot, and state again , cannot fully express the joy it was to be immersed in the TCM world. Every Leatherface came at you with complete intensity or was completely engaged in each scene. The cast was involved and interacted with the guests. At one point, I was face-to-face with I think the “Old Man” who blocked my path as I was trying to make my way through the Bar-b-que room, pushing the meat and skin out of my way. He was only inches away from me yelling “Oh here is a big one and you are going to feed us for a week!” Ha Ha…great stuff. Also, Grandpa kept trying to grab at me…the old coot. :leatherface:

Best Use of a Character For Us “Boys”: HHN Go-Go Dancers

Have to give credit to John Murdy for upping the ante and adding Go-Go Klowns, Go-Go Bride of Frankenstein, and “Lust”Go-Go’s in Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. I have never seen the front Go-Go dancers change shifts. Oh My!! It was like a wrestling cage match, only without the violence. Nuff said. The Bride in Universal Monsters Remix interacted with the guests and encouraged them to dance and you could tell she must have been extremely hot under all the lights in the laboratory scene. As we went though ACGTH, the Lust Go-Go’s were yelling at my wife “You know you don’t want to look away! You are a dirty girl!! Ha Ha!

Best Kinda, Sorta, Partial Sequel/Repeat Maze: Alice Cooper Goes to Hell

It was basically a toss up between Alice Cooper and La Llorona. Both had a similar feel and many elements from last year. I enjoyed both of the mazes and while I thought the “Super Big Gulp” ending in La Llarona added a craziness to the attraction, Alice Cooper felt a bit fresher, the 3D had some decent effects, and I still can’t get the song "Go to Hell" out of my head.

Best use of Theming Since, well, I Started Attending in 2009: Walking Dead

Bicycle Girl Zombie, Lil’ Kid Zombie, Trevler, Zombie Hordes, Walker Gauntlet, Well Zombie, Survivors, Caged/Captured Zombies, Backlot Zombies and Universal Guards…what more needs to be said. OK, I know they are all technically considered “Walkers”. Its just the Romero Zombie fan still in side of me.

Best Runner-Up Maze or The DTH Craptastic “Worthless Excuse for a Maze” Maze: Universal Monsters Remix

I have fun in the HOH venue every year and the Scareactors always make the most of the environment. I repeated this multiple times and found this to be my second favorite attraction, only to be beaten by TCM. The Red Death/Phantom provided an ominous presence and the Classic Monsters were given a respectful representation. Oh and did I mention the Bride Go-Go. Yeah, I guess I did! (All in fun and dedicated to our most energetic poster, DTH). B)

Outside of the little VIP snafu in the beginning, I still like what this admission package offers and includes valet parking, all you can eat throughout the evening (the food is chef made with salads, over six different entrees, dessert, and Bananas Foster made to order). Two alcoholic drinks are included and unlimited water and soft drinks. The private tour is interesting but the heart of the package is unlimited front of the line for all the rides and mazes; I repeated several of the mazes which made my night memorable.

Not to belabor the conclusion of my review, the Scarezones were fun and I mostly passed through Witchez/s and Toyz/s throughout the evening, Klownz/s was mostly the same ( but not the Go-Go’s :wub: ), and did some bizarre things that I never saw before. Both the Silent Hill Scarezone and Maze were alright but seemed to miss the intensity of the rest of the mazes. The Nurses in the SZ did not mimic the game or movie nurses, but rather followed the guests and lunge at them. I thought I saw them act the way they should on some of the earlier YouTube videos.

I do appreciate some of you trying to coax me to Knott’s Haunt this year, but I was limited to five days in California (including to and from San Diego) and spent a few days at Halloween Horror Nights and Disneyland….maybe next year. HHN 2012 kept me thrilled with its small surprises and BIG Scareactor performances. Great job again and keep it up through Halloween!

Edited by AsylumSB

Haha, I like these awards, really freshens up the review reads.

I'm actually surprised they let you walk around Amity. Weren't they afraid people were going to fall in the water? haha. I also didn't know they started these earlier than the event started.

Too bad you missed opening scaramonies: I honestly think it's the best one we've had and helps tie in the theme and story of the event. But it's on youtube, so I'm sure you've given that a look over already.

And I'm very shocked you rate UMR as NUMBER TWO. TWO?!?!?!!?!

Did you do any rides? And did you catch Bill and Ted?

Total sidenote: had no idea there was a Wetzel's in City Walk... I'm totally going there next time.

Haha, I like these awards, really freshens up the review reads.

I'm actually surprised they let you walk around Amity. Weren't they afraid people were going to fall in the water? haha. I also didn't know they started these earlier than the event started.

Too bad you missed opening scaramonies: I honestly think it's the best one we've had and helps tie in the theme and story of the event. But it's on youtube, so I'm sure you've given that a look over already.

And I'm very shocked you rate UMR as NUMBER TWO. TWO?!?!?!!?!

Did you do any rides? And did you catch Bill and Ted?

Total sidenote: had no idea there was a Wetzel's in City Walk... I'm totally going there next time.

I was just as surprised about the early tour time; last year we didn't start our tour until we checked-in at the lounge. The Location Manager encouraged the group to step right up to the lake telling us this is where one of the crew "drowned" only inches from the surface, then, gurgle gurlgle, large bubbles came up from the lake. Ho-hum. Sorry, did not extend my review because I thought it was getting a bit lengthy. We did see the Bill and Ted show this year after you admonished me for missing last years performance :lol: . Decided to take in an earlier show so I could concentrate on the mazes for the rest of the night. The show was probably one of the best I have seen and very funny in some parts. The Reaper was a great additiion and I was surprised they were able to combine several dance numbers with the Hunger Games storyline with many rapid fire pop culture references. The mumbling Batman and Bane got huge laughs during our performance.

As far as the rides, we only did Transformers. Not a fan of the films but the ride was awesome, very detailed and the sync with the visuals and movement were spot on. We have done each of the other rides many times during our past visits and decided pass in order to repeat as many mazes as possible. And yes, UMR was a solid runner-up for the evening (I would say it was #2 for the evening, but you would probably agree with me :lol: ). We probably did that maze more than any of the others but it could not surpass TCM, in my opinion. As we walked out, I picked up the tall HHN shot glass as a momento. Did not get any of the shirts becasue I picked up two Universal Classic Monsters shirts at Things From Another World at Citywalk. If you have not been there, it is an awesome place to buy great horror and sci-fi related stuff.