Why can’t Universal use Mary AGANA?

I don’t mean Bloody Mary. For those who don’t know, apparently (I’m not sure where this was sourced) the Bloody Mary name is trademarked by a woman named Bobbie Weiner who still owns the trademark (And has not forgotten about HHN). So universal can’t use Bloody Mary the ghost.

So why can’t they use the character Mary Agana? I think I remember people saying that she’s “not well known to the public” but you could say the same thing about the Caretaker, the Usher, the Storyteller, the Director, and even Jack the Clown. Is it a problem with the design? Cause honestly I think they should redesign her or at least the outfit as it wasn’t really interesting (she’s basically Sadako/Samara but with white eyes). 

what do you some of you think?

I don't see why they couldn't.  But I could see why they wouldn't:

• She is only known by the most diehard fans.  We haven't really seen her image pre-Bloody Mary.  We heard her voice on the website.  As far as the GP knows, she would just be a psychiatrist character who had "unconventional" therapy techniques - not that this wouldn't be a great standalone icon it itself.  To me, Dr. Agana is akin to Dr. Rich Oddfellow - a part of the backstory of Jack but not a person we necessarily need to see at HHN.
  • It would only invite Bobbie Weiner to chase a new settlement, baseless as it would be.
  • The Icon house that year was a bomb - completely forgettable.

However should Legendary Truth one day become a major part of a future HHN, I could see the good Dr. being mentioned without bringing up Bloody Mary in name.  I doubt we would get anything more than that.

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

I don't see why they couldn't.  But I could see why they wouldn't:

• She is only known by the most diehard fans.  We haven't really seen her image pre-Bloody Mary.  We heard her voice on the website.  As far as the GP knows, she would just be a psychiatrist character who had "unconventional" therapy techniques - not that this wouldn't be a great standalone icon it itself.  To me, Dr. Agana is akin to Dr. Rich Oddfellow - a part of the backstory of Jack but not a person we necessarily need to see at HHN.
  • It would only invite Bobbie Weiner to chase a new settlement, baseless as it would be.
  • The Icon house that year was a bomb - completely forgettable.

However should Legendary Truth one day become a major part of a future HHN, I could see the good Dr. being mentioned without bringing up Bloody Mary in name.  I doubt we would get anything more than that.

I guess, but as I kinda mentioned above, aren’t the Icons beloved by only the diehard HHN fans?

And hell I take back what I said that I understand that Universal can’t use her because of copyright. I mean Universal specializes in IPS all the time now: The Walking Dead (5 times), American Horror Story, Halloween 1978, The Shining, Stranger Things, etc. Bloody Mary is technically an IP so I could see Universal working something out. Maybe it’s because of popularity with the GP; but I don’t think that’s the case since Universal managed to get IPs like Trick r’ Treat and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which I don’t believe match well known characters like Freddy, Michael Myers, or even Dracula.

Im just going to go with the baseless assumption that maybe Bobbie is a prick, IDK.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...